PDA

View Full Version : Glockenspiel

Blitzkommando
Mar 11, 2008, 12:56 AM
The glockenspiel (German, "play of bells", also known as orchestra bells and, in its portable form, bell lira or bell lyre) is a musical instrument in the percussion family. It is similar to the xylophone, in that it has tuned bars laid out in a fashion resembling a piano keyboard. The xylophone's bars are wooden, while the glockenspiel's are metal, thus making it a metallophone.

In Germany, a Carillon is also called a Glockenspiel.

The glockenspiel, moreover, is much smaller and higher in pitch. When used in a marching or military band, the bars are sometimes mounted in a portable case and held vertically. In orchestral use, the bars are mounted horizontally. A pair of hard mallets is generally used to strike the bars, although if laid out horizontally, a keyboard may be attached to the instrument to allow chords to be more easily played.

The glockenspiel's range is limited to the upper register, and usually covers about two and a half to three octaves. In sheet music, the notes to be played by the glockenspiel are written two octaves lower than they will sound when played. When struck, the bars give a very pure, bell-like sound.

Glockenspiels are still quite popular and appear in almost all genres of music ranging from hip hop to jazz.

One classical piece where such an instrument is used is Mozart's Die Zauberflöte (although the part has most often been played with a celesta in modern times). A modern example of the glockenspiel is Steve Reich's 1974 composition Drumming, in which the glockenspiel becomes a major instrument in the 3rd and 4th movements.

Other instruments which work on the same struck-bar principle as the glockenspiel include the marimba and the vibraphone. There are also many glockenspiel-like instruments in Indonesian gamelan ensembles.

AlexCraig
Mar 11, 2008, 01:13 AM
I'm more for my ocarina. My hands are more attuned to it.

Blitzkommando
Mar 11, 2008, 01:27 AM
I don't know, I grew up playing with glockenspiels from kindergarten all the way through primary school. They bring back some very fond memories of summers when I was a child.

Nitro Vordex
Mar 11, 2008, 03:11 AM
I would have loved to learn how to play an ocarina, they sound so smooth and at ease.
I play my guitar, but I'm not hardcore or anything, I just play.

Alastor_Haven
Mar 11, 2008, 03:47 AM
NEEEEEEEEEE

Nitro Vordex
Mar 11, 2008, 03:54 AM
Welcome?

astuarlen
Mar 11, 2008, 10:59 AM
Oh man, I remember playing those babies in grade school, though I prefered the xylophones. Most kids lusted after the big basses, but I disliked the burden of time-keeping, which usually meant playing the boring parts.
Better than triangle, though.