PDA

View Full Version : The online stranger(A long but awesome story)

VanHalen
Mar 14, 2008, 02:40 PM
So as some of you may or may not remember, I haven't been able to play PSYOU or anything for that matter with you guys since my laptop's System32 was deleted. So it left the whole thing unusable. Normally that would've been easy to fix but I didn't have a OS CD with my laptop http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif. Another problem is my warranty ran out.

I did the next best thing and looked online for help. I found weird ways of fixing the problem but who knew the most help would come from a Dance Dance Revolution forum http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif?

I asked around for help on there asking anyone with the same version of Windows XP that I have what to do.(Which is Media Center Edition). After a couple of responses a newly registered user named "DellCA" came in to my topic and offered to send me a CD or call Customer Support for one. He told me to give me information on my laptop's service tag so he can send me a CD for free. At first I found it too good to be true and it has to be one of the users playing a trick. So he told me to call customer support if I am nervous about the random online stranger so I did. They told me they weren't going to send me a CD and pay them 40 bucks to continue with their help. To which I thought "EFF YOU!"

The Dell guy from the message board contacted me again asking me if I got the CD yet. Since I didn't because I had no warranty left and they weren't giving me one, he offered again to send me one for free even though he really shouldn't. I had no other choice left at this point so I gave him my laptop's service tag and trusted him with that information.

AND GUESS WHAT? A Windows XP Media Center Edition CD was sent to my house today for FREE. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif You see, there really are very kind people on the internet.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VanHalen on 2008-03-14 12:42 ]</font>

Katrina
Mar 14, 2008, 02:59 PM
It's hard to trust people. Especially on the internet. Kudos to the guy for actually helping and doing the right thing.

Sgt_Shligger
Mar 14, 2008, 04:43 PM
Now you're in his debt. He's going to force you into learning how to do something illegal on the computer for him.

VanHalen
Mar 14, 2008, 05:07 PM
On 2008-03-14 14:43, Sgt_Shligger wrote:
Now you're in his debt. He's going to force you into learning how to do something illegal on the computer for him.

Oh gawd D:

It's the cyber mafia all over again!

Shadowpawn
Mar 14, 2008, 05:08 PM
[Personally I would have resort to illegal means but giving up that kind of info.] However, that's good you someone that was willing to help. Tis a shame FKL couldn't help a fellow FKLer.

Anduril
Mar 14, 2008, 05:10 PM
Wow, that's awesome. You do meet some nice people on the internet sometimes, but you should still be wary, he has your address now, right?

Nitro Vordex
Mar 14, 2008, 05:12 PM
On 2008-03-14 15:08, Shadowpawn wrote:
[Personally I would have resort to illegal means but giving up that kind of info.] However, that's good you someone that was willing to help. Tis a shame FKL couldn't help a fellow FKLer.

He never asked. =/

VanHalen
Mar 14, 2008, 05:16 PM
On 2008-03-14 15:10, Anduril wrote:
Wow, that's awesome. You do meet some nice people on the internet sometimes, but you should still be wary, he has your address now, right?

Yeah D:, though Dell always had my address on file apparently since I didn't have to give him that much information. I find it amazing that Dell actually has people search message boards for Dell related problems. That has to be hard ass work.

A "Dell Customer Advocate" is someone that goes out on the internet and tries to contact people that are posting about problems with Dell or Dell computers in order to provide help and information. We are a small team (about 8 people), so yeah, there is a lot for us to do. We have a service that searches the internet for references to Dell and that is how I found this thread.

My team also collects feedback about problems people have experienced in order for Dell as a company to make improvements. Customer feedback is the best way for us to figure out what we need to focus on for improvements, and I'm happy to say I have actually seen changes made (for the better) because of customer feedback.

And no, I was not a poster here on the forum before I registered the DellCA account. I actually had to do a small bit of detective work in order to register correctly (I admit it, I didn't know what DDR stood for on this site before I went to create the account :erm: ).

The job can be difficult at times, since unlike a "normal" support call we don't usually have much information to work with. On the other hand, we get to read stuff like Pluto's DURKA post, which can be quite entertaining (I laughed at it as well http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif ).

If you have other questions for me, I'll be happy to answer them.

Larry
Dell Customer Advocate

Anduril
Mar 14, 2008, 05:22 PM
On 2008-03-14 15:16, VanHalen wrote:

On 2008-03-14 15:10, Anduril wrote:

Yeah D:, though Dell always had my address on file apparently since I didn't have to give him that much information. I find it amazing that Dell actually has people search message boards for Dell related problems. That has to be hard ass work.

A "Dell Customer Advocate" is someone that goes out on the internet and tries to contact people that are posting about problems with Dell or Dell computers in order to provide help and information. We are a small team (about 8 people), so yeah, there is a lot for us to do. We have a service that searches the internet for references to Dell and that is how I found this thread.

My team also collects feedback about problems people have experienced in order for Dell as a company to make improvements. Customer feedback is the best way for us to figure out what we need to focus on for improvements, and I'm happy to say I have actually seen changes made (for the better) because of customer feedback.

And no, I was not a poster here on the forum before I registered the DellCA account. I actually had to do a small bit of detective work in order to register correctly (I admit it, I didn't know what DDR stood for on this site before I went to create the account :erm: ).

The job can be difficult at times, since unlike a "normal" support call we don't usually have much information to work with. On the other hand, we get to read stuff like Pluto's DURKA post, which can be quite entertaining (I laughed at it as well http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif ).

If you have other questions for me, I'll be happy to answer them.

Larry
Dell Customer Advocate

Well that's neat. In which case I tip my hat to the guy for working his ass off searching the dark bowels of the internet for people who need assistance.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Anduril on 2008-03-14 15:22 ]</font>

Shadowpawn
Mar 14, 2008, 05:25 PM
On 2008-03-14 15:12, Nitro_Vordex wrote:

On 2008-03-14 15:08, Shadowpawn wrote:

He never asked. =/

Actually, he did awhile back.