PDA

View Full Version : FanArt: Womanly Shiek

Rei-San
Mar 14, 2008, 07:50 PM
Here. (http://gameninja.deviantart.com/art/Womanly-Shiek-79671636)

I've been practicing my female anatomy lately. And I wanted to draw this to test it out, mainly because its been on my mind and since Shiek is a girl. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

(Shiek is so going to be one of my mains in Brawl!)

qoxolg
Mar 14, 2008, 09:26 PM
Alright! thats the spirit... so whats wrong?

- Her legs are waaaaay to high!
- The arm is almost shapeless.. don't forget that woman also have muscles. The easiest way to devide the arm is: shoulder, upper-arm, fore-arm and the hand.
- The print on the clothes looks just like its projected on the chest part. don't forget that the breasts are round. so the print on the clothes have to follow the curve of the breasts.
- Don't use lines to define the knees... it just looks wrong.

- Overall: Since you got a tablet, it's time to start making more detail in the shapes of the body. the lines look real simple and flat right now. Bodyparts that can use more detail: The arms, the hands and the waist/hips.
The best way to start making more detailed drawings, is by sketching with your tablet. The best way to sketch on a tablet is by just making short and quickt strokes to define the shapes.

as for the CGing: Since you got a tablet try to make more shading stages, with different detail levels. The shading you did wth this drawing is kindoff basic. Example: The fingers looks hardly shaded. Also the different cloth parts dont have their own shade. This give the illusion that the girl is wearing a body-paint suite. Another thing you shouldn't forget is the shading in the face. The nose and the eyes look kindoff flat because of that.
- IF you color, it's a good idea to define the folds in the clothes by shading, and not by black lines.
- Don't be afraid to use darker colors when shading and lighter colors when lighting. Coloring with a high contrast will make your pick look lotsa better.
- Adding casted shadow from body/clothing will give the pic alot more dept.

and of course good job! I can see your improving.. so keep going!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: qoxolg on 2008-03-14 19:29 ]</font>

GutsGO
Mar 15, 2008, 09:20 AM
I'm sorry but I don't agree with some of the things you recommended, mainly the coloring part.

He can have his own style, and using lines to define shadows (in clothes for example as you said) is fine, and plenty of illustrators do such a thing.

Having the color/shading look basic is also a design choice, not everything should be super detailed or have full-blown shading, and I think how they did it here was fine. It gives it a light-hearted warm feel to it, very energetic and bright.

Otherwise the other tips were ok, there are some proportional issues, but be careful on telling people how to draw, it's an art and everyone does it differently which is what makes us all unique.

Sayara
Mar 15, 2008, 09:51 AM
She is sort of stiff you know?

I remember seeing Shiek in Zelda 64 as well as Smash Bros. She was very fluid, flexy, she's not wearing spandex because its the 80s.

Don't get me wrong here, you did a great job for practice, however in my mind a "learning how to do female anatomy" usually goes best with "nobodies" like, a no identifable person.

There is a great man who is on Youtube who does anatomy teaching using the very amazing technique of using blocks to shape out the body instead of just going right to line. (For example
the top to bottom is a oval body, a a rounded rectangle for the torso, a circular shape for the abs, stomach and such, a rectangle or parallelogram for the lower body, crotch, hips etc. While arms and legs are cyllanders and joints are circles.)

His tutorial is with nude figure if you are unsure about that. (http://www.youtube.com/user/sheldonsartacademy)

In retrospect to coloring and shade. Maybe a no shade process could work, Poster art if you will.

Sorry i am old and rambing http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sayara on 2008-03-15 08:00 ]</font>

qoxolg
Mar 15, 2008, 02:42 PM
On 2008-03-15 07:20, GutsGO wrote:
I'm sorry but I don't agree with some of the things you recommended, mainly the coloring part.

He can have his own style, and using lines to define shadows (in clothes for example as you said) is fine, and plenty of illustrators do such a thing.

Having the color/shading look basic is also a design choice, not everything should be super detailed or have full-blown shading, and I think how they did it here was fine. It gives it a light-hearted warm feel to it, very energetic and bright.

Otherwise the other tips were ok, there are some proportional issues, but be careful on telling people how to draw, it's an art and everyone does it differently which is what makes us all unique.

Thats why I said they were just tips for the coloring. It's how I think his coloring could improve.

It's just my opinion that I want to share about his way off coloring. Especially since he asked me for some tips about coloring in photoshop some time ago.
I also can't agree about the "design choice" thing. Alot of people hide behind the excuse "that it was a design choice"... but enough about that.

I think there is no need to be carefull about it, since he said he was practicing his female anatomy, which means he probably wants to improve it. If you practice anatomy you are bound by the rules of the human body, no mather what style you draw.

maybe a question for RayMaster: What is it what you are aiming for with your art? what style? it might make it easier to give feedback!

MaximusLight
Mar 15, 2008, 03:42 PM
On 2008-03-15 07:51, Sayara wrote:
She is sort of stiff you know?

I remember seeing Shiek in Zelda 64 as well as Smash Bros. She was very fluid, flexy, she's not wearing spandex because its the 80s.

Don't get me wrong here, you did a great job for practice, however in my mind a "learning how to do female anatomy" usually goes best with "nobodies" like, a no identifable person.

There is a great man who is on Youtube who does anatomy teaching using the very amazing technique of using blocks to shape out the body instead of just going right to line. (For example
the top to bottom is a oval body, a a rounded rectangle for the torso, a circular shape for the abs, stomach and such, a rectangle or parallelogram for the lower body, crotch, hips etc. While arms and legs are cyllanders and joints are circles.)

His tutorial is with nude figure if you are unsure about that. (http://www.youtube.com/user/sheldonsartacademy)

In retrospect to coloring and shade. Maybe a no shade process could work, Poster art if you will.

Sorry i am old and rambing http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sayara on 2008-03-15 08:00 ]</font>

OH MY GOSH!

*bookmarks*

Rei-San
Mar 15, 2008, 08:22 PM
On 2008-03-15 12:42, qoxolg wrote:

maybe a question for RayMaster: What is it what you are aiming for with your art? what style? it might make it easier to give feedback!

I guess it would be easier to tell everyone what I want to do, everyone is basicly right.

What I want to do is kinda complicated. I wanted to go for the "Good n' Sexy" look when it comes to annatomy (Basicly girls with large breasts, curvy center, wide thighs, and soft form). I try to work with this in a semi-realistic way. Because I know that basicly no woman can be this volumptuous, but artists that uses this body style tend to pull it of perfectly and the girl doesn't look like she's about to tip over. The reaslstic thing comes in body proportions, like how long the limbs have to be, Head-to-Body proportions, and so on.

The coloring style I want is a little more complicated to explain. Basicly I want a more shadowy type of shading in trems of realism, and yet making it a bit more colorful in terms of attractivness and excitement. Nontheless, I still want to soft CG. I working with this by now using the "Color Change" tool in Photoshop instead of the Burn and Dodge tools.

But, with these basicly i'm trying to make an atrractive look in my art. I wanted to aim for the quality art that might leave comments like "The cooloring looks so smooth!" or "Wow, she's pretty hot!". I can't say I want it to look profesional since i'm not at that level yet, but I don't want an amature art style. And I want to keep it looking like anime. I hope anyone can understand what i'm to do.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RayMaster on 2008-03-15 18:38 ]</font>

qoxolg
Mar 16, 2008, 10:54 AM
Heh.. thats pretty much the same style I am after.. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

==LINEWORK==
alright.. getting a more smooth look: Try to sketch before your start to draw the lines. It's near impossible to draw good looking lines right away on a tablet. the best way to sketch is by just making very quick strokes with the pen. When you think the sketch looks good enough, you start tracing it in a new layer. Just keep in mind the lines you draw now have to be alot more roundish.

Sexy/curvy stuff:
- The way the breasts look depends on the clothes the girl is wearing. If the clothes are tight you can draw the breasts more roundish .
- Like I said before: Don't forget about the muscles. Of course you don't have to draw girls with big muscles http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif but defining the shapes of the shoulder, biceps/triceps, fore-arm will give it alot more curvy look. Same goes for the legs...
- Legs don't start drawing the legs right underneat the waiste!
- The face: Don't forget about the cheeks. Bigger cheeks will make the girl look more cute. Also don't forget that the eyes lie deeper thant the cheeks and eyebrows. The best way to practice this, is by watching photo's of real girls.

==CGing==
- MOST IMPORTANT: LAYERS, LAYERS and even more LAYERS! Besides being destructive, It's almost impossible to do all shading in just one layer. When you start shading, it's doesn't have to be perfect in the first shading layer.
- If you want your pic to be colorful, make sure that the flats are colorful. I most of the time use a second color layer to give the skin a more colorful look.
- Don't be affraid to make the shading a bit dark.
- For smooth coloring you should use very big and soft brushes.

And jsut practice, practice practice.. and make sure you keep practicing both your linework and your coloring.

If you want to take a look at how I did my latest CGing, you can grab the .PSD file right here (http://jojo.sappusx.com/ok9small.psd)
You can take a look at the way I make use of layers http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif (the resolution is 4 times lower than the original, cause I wanted to keep it a bit smaller for the download)

oh.. and if you wanna know how I started with coloring in photoshop.. made this (http://jojo.sappusx.com/zael1280.jpg) 2,5 years ago.. (don't laugh)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: qoxolg on 2008-03-16 08:58 ]</font>

Kouta_
Mar 24, 2008, 01:06 AM
Sheik's boobs are pointy. o_o
They look triangular.