PDA

View Full Version : Oh god, not another "How are things now as opposed to then"

Niered
Mar 18, 2008, 03:03 PM
well hey everybody, hope at least some of ya remember me!

Anywho, yes, apparently it is (unfortunately) another question and answer session with "one of thoseguys that left and said hed come back...eventually).

So lets get started shall we? Huzzah!

1. AoI. Is it everything we asked for, jesus come down from heaven, bearing gifts of black king bars and guld myllas, to hunters and rangers alike? I jest, but is it really that much an improvement? Has the PSO related content done well enough?

2. Environments and hot spots. Are we still stuck goin' round and round the circus wheel of areas that get updated, or has that been sufficiently balanced to the point that your area is more a choice of flavor than anything else?

3. I almost shudder to ask, but *shudder* how is the...community? The population? The census of our fair denizens? Im speaking specifically of the PS2/PC servers, but wouldnt mind hearing the 360's either.

4. Cheating. Back in my day (6 months ago), cheating had (for the most part) been dealt with, but the backlash of meseta duping was still cause for debate between the 360 and PS2/PC players. Are they (SEGA) still enforcing the rules? Or has this gone the way of PSO as well as the AoI content?

And a few tiny questions that need not be answered unless you feel like you have the time to,

- Are the Just Attack and Just Evade well implemented? For ALL classes, specifically FG's?
- Have Newmans been slightly diversified, so that there status as Techers solely is no longer true?
- How about the bosses? Are we still JUST fighting reskins, or are there more than 4 boss types?

ilovetypemoon
Mar 18, 2008, 03:11 PM
If you know this is another rehashed thread, why not just use the search function? Or try looking through the first couple pages, there's bound to be one of these.

Xefi
Mar 18, 2008, 03:12 PM
Population is enough for the PC/Ps2 and not so few that you will have a problem looking for a group in a hot-spot area: White Beast and maybe Bruce S.
-Just Attack is helping out the meleeing department by a bunch.
-Bosses are reskin.
-Fortetecher got a buff with tech on Rods.
-cheating is slowly dissapating.

Niered
Mar 18, 2008, 03:17 PM
On 2008-03-18 13:11, ilovetypemoon wrote:
If you know this is another rehashed thread, why not just use the search function? Or try looking through the first couple pages, there's bound to be one of these.

Amongst other things, to see if anyone here that I played with actually still...played.

More importantly, I didnt actually realize that this WAS a rehashed thread, only using the title as a sort of icebreaker.

JAFO22000
Mar 18, 2008, 03:32 PM
1. No, AoI is not "everything we wanted" in a box. Like most other expansions, it added to the base game new levels, items and some gameplay tweeks. At it's core though, it is still the same game.

2. The addition of GBR and FoI have made people want to do a larger variety of levels, but it's still basically the same as before: an area get's spammed until something "better" comes out, at which point the new area gets spammed until it's replaced.

3. Can't speak on the PC/PS2 community, but the 360 community is fine. Last night (7:00 PM PST), uni 1 was full, uni 2 had 4 stars and uni 3 had one star. Down from peak times, but more than enough people. I always play on unpopulated servers and still see the occasional group run by.

4. The major cheating (obvious gameplay affecting things such as duping) has pretty much stopped and, according to the PC/PS2 community, the economy has since found a nice balance. Cheating had moved over to the 360 platform (in the form of grinder duping) but this was dealt with by ST in a very demonstrative way: A lot of people were straight up banned.

-Just Attack is completely awesome!!!!!....if you play a melee class. Gunners and Techers cannot JA. They can Just Counter, but it only serves to get your shot/tech out a bit faster than you normally could. Nothing great.

-Newmans have not be rebalanced at all. They are still the best for the teching classes. You can use them in non-teching job classes without too much of a hitch though...you could do this before the expansion though. Nothing has changed in this regard.

-Bosses are all pretty much reskins, besides De Rol Le. Mother Brain is a reskin of Fakis' first form. Alterzagohg a reskin of De Ragnus. New regular enemies are even reskins of older enemies. Reskin, reskin, reskin....

panzer_unit
Mar 18, 2008, 03:43 PM
On 2008-03-18 13:03, Niered wrote:
1. AoI. Is it everything we asked for?
2. Environments and hot spots... a choice of flavor than anything else?
3. *shudder* how is the...community? The population? 4. Cheating. Back in my day (6 months ago), cheating had (for the most part) been dealt with, but the backlash of meseta duping was still cause for debate between the 360 and PS2/PC players.

- Are the Just Attack and Just Evade well implemented? For ALL classes, specifically FG's?
- Have Newmans been slightly diversified, so that there status as Techers solely is no longer true?
- How about the bosses? Are we still JUST fighting reskins, or are there more than 4 boss types?

1. yes, and then everyone immediately asked for a whole lot more and started complaining about everything we got.
2. hot spots are surprisingly hot, and everywhere else is like a handful of people who are already in a team probably. Soloing's easy now, if you can't make friends and get your team doing something you need.
3. we were at two to three and a half stars with nothing really going on. Population spikes for events generally.
4. no, I think we're *finally* over all of the duped meseta... and into arguments about platform updates / screw-ups / rollbacks / compensation

- Just Attack is great. I've just started getting the hang of JC since my dood's a Cast and doesn't block for crap. It's pretty cool too though you sort of have to build for it.
- Every fighting job except Fortefighter has access to range mags, which are independent guns that do damage based on TP. They can add to your damage output pretty considerably.
- it's not like all the old bosses packed up their toys and went home. There 2-headed dragon and Dulk Fakis reskins are pretty awesome and the new worm-type boss is ok.

Weeaboolits
Mar 18, 2008, 03:54 PM
We got two new enemies (Delp Slami, a fancy techer lily type enemy that counters your element, and a giant scorpion with an impossible name that shoots ice needles.) and an ageeta reskin that can spindash.

Xefi
Mar 18, 2008, 03:56 PM
oh yeah, i almost forgot that we have a new planet: Ryucross.

Yuneiko
Mar 18, 2008, 04:13 PM
I can't say I remember you, since I've never played with you in game, but I do remember you from lurking on the forums for most of my PSU time. I'll answer these things to the best of my ability, and of course, from a PC/PS2 (moreso PC) bias/mindset.
1. AoI is pretty great, i'd highly recommend it if you enjoyed the core basic of the original PSU. The battle system and stuff, you know. As stated before, do a few searches or look at PSUpedia's AoI changes, such as here (http://psupedia.info/AoI_Changes). Needless to say, the game is much easier to get into and is, in my opinion, a great casually played game.
2. People still do spam the latest and greatest hot spots, IE White beast. It's to be expected though, with people trying to rush to cap their characters or grind money to buy the S ranks. I personally try to stay away from hot spots, and have found quite a sizeable number of friends that are willing to run anything and anywhere. Course, none of us are capped, but we still have fun.
3. I don't think i'm very qualified to talk about the populace and the community, as I shy away from randoms after being burnt really badly by them in the past. I know I shouldn't base my reasonings for it off the original PSU's launch, but that's what I do. For the most part though, i've found plenty of nice people that I do runs with regularly.
4. Cheating...I wouldn't say it's gone 100%, as that's practically impossible, but the aftermath of haxeta is pretty much equalized due to the fact that money drops so frequently. Of course, our economy on PC/PS2 is a bit more inflated than those on 360, but that's to be expected with a much higher population. As for the SEGA part of the cheating part, they seem to be taking a stronger stance on instant banning cheaters, so I guess it's better than it has been. Course, since PSU isn't really popular, my guess is that most of the scriptkiddy hackers left the game alone, with the damage already done.

I'll also answer your last tidbits just because I can.
Just Attack is pretty awesome on melee characters, since if you time your attacks a la PSO somewhat, you get instant crits. Too bad for gunners and techers, they don't get JA. Just Counter on the other hand...Sorta unused for melee, but very useful for when i've gone teching/gunning. If you can JC very well, you'll be able to fire your pew pew or techs even faster than before.
Newmans are still considered the tech race of the game, but they can still deal some pretty nice damage as fighters or gunners. They aren't the strongest, but they do have a different playstyle to use.
Bosses and enemies in this game are still reskins, but that's to be expected. Even PSO was a huge reskin-fest that I think many people don't see due to their blindness by nostalgia.

tl;dr I like AoI, and enjoy it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Yuneiko on 2008-03-18 14:13 ]</font>

MinervaEros
Mar 18, 2008, 04:24 PM
I would like to point out though that while Ryucross is a "planet" according to the story, it isnt one in terms of gameplay. All Ryucross levels are reached by being "on" the Guardians Colony.

However, personally I REALLY like the expansion. Its not mind blowing, but I think it does a lot for a game which really needed it. Not to mention that most people who play PSU also played PSO, hence why everyone loves all the homages to weapons, enemies, locations, music, etc.

Niered
Mar 18, 2008, 04:25 PM
Thank you all for the info, its greatly appreciated. As to wether or not Im coming back, thats still to be seen. Im a bit sore for cash at the moment, and buying AoI and paying the monthly isnt something I can commit to just yet.

Yuneiko
Mar 18, 2008, 04:35 PM
No rush to get it, since I think most of the population is patiently (or not) awaiting Max Attack G, which will have the old PSO style levels for PSU. Forest, Caves, Mines, and ruins. If you do decide to come back, feel free to ring me up if you're rejoining on PC/PS2. I'll be happy to help you out in any way I can.

PALRAPPYS
Mar 18, 2008, 08:53 PM
AoI is still a great improvement over the original game. If we didn't get the core updates of AoI into the regular game without the expansion, I'd likely have quit by now.

But since I'm lazy, basically everything else said in this thread was true.

GreenArcher
Mar 18, 2008, 10:01 PM
If your playing on PC, I can help you out with getting the expansion, but dude.
come back http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif

I CALL BLACKBULL http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif