PDA

View Full Version : Social Tip of The Day 11

KouHotaru
Jan 18, 2003, 08:29 PM
When running arround on a Japanese ship, it is apparent that no matter how often you shout in English, you will generaly not be understood. All too often there is a occurance of people trying to force game time or items out of the Japanese players in this manner. Just remember that Word Select was created for clumsy and vauge international communication, and hence if you wish to talk to the Japanese, it should be used over trying to scream in caps. And it is indeed known that the Japanese camp on US ships now, but it is only natural as it is visa versa for Americans and Canadians now. End the mutual misunderstanding with word select.

Phobos-X
Jan 18, 2003, 11:33 PM
When running arround on a Japanese ship, it is apparent that no matter how often you shout in English, you will generaly not be understood

or most likely its that the JP players are ignoring you because youre a "gaijin" I remember reading a post somewhere in off topic, about how as soon as the ships were joined, the JP players made locked games called "JP Only" or summin like that.

Spy
Jan 19, 2003, 12:04 AM
On 2003-01-18 17:29, KouHotaru wrote:
When running arround on a Japanese ship, it is apparent that no matter how often you shout in English, you will generaly not be understood. All too often there is a occurance of people trying to force game time or items out of the Japanese players in this manner. Just remember that Word Select was created for clumsy and vauge international communication, and hence if you wish to talk to the Japanese, it should be used over trying to scream in caps. And it is indeed known that the Japanese camp on US ships now, but it is only natural as it is visa versa for Americans and Canadians now. End the mutual misunderstanding with word select.

Maybe I don't want them to know what I'm saying http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_mad.gif

The_Drake
Jan 19, 2003, 03:31 AM
On 2003-01-18 21:04, Spy wrote:

On 2003-01-18 17:29, KouHotaru wrote:

Maybe I don't want them to know what I'm saying http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_mad.gif

Well, then you shouldn't be running around yelling it on their ships, neh? ^_~;

Ruby-chan
Jan 19, 2003, 03:54 AM
Can we follow this up by "One should expect people to speak the language of whatever ship they're on. Anyone remember the old days of the gigantic Japanese challange block on the US Ships? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

AnimalMother
Jan 19, 2003, 03:56 AM
I'm afraid my small American brain refuses to acknowledge that not everybody speaks English. I will continue to shout on Japanese ships, for I know in my heart that they are notoriously anti-social, and just being shy.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AnimalMother on 2003-01-19 00:56 ]</font>

Bloodberry
Jan 19, 2003, 04:22 AM
You could probably hear the massive communal eye roll from space that sounded when the servers were linked.

Spy
Jan 19, 2003, 05:19 AM
This is, again, silly. How about we just have Big Brother come in and micromanage how each of us acts on PSO servers?

And while we're at it we can all make cookie-cutter humars by the name Sephiroth and act exactly the same.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Spy on 2003-01-19 02:20 ]</font>

eXo
Jan 19, 2003, 05:23 AM
Nah better yet spy why do we just use,the cookie - cutters to make humars and name them "Trunks" http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Spy
Jan 19, 2003, 05:25 AM
On 2003-01-19 02:23, eXo wrote:
Nah better yet spy why do we just use,the cookie - cutters to make humars and name them "Trunks" http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Hell, why not settle on SSJ.

Ness
Jan 19, 2003, 10:16 AM
Like I said mearlier, they just keep getting dumber and dumber.

Unknown to Kou, most Japanses people actually do speak English. Japanese schools teach their children English from a young age all the way until graduation so most of the JP people playing PSO will know a good amount of English. However, they choose not to speak it because the JP see foriegners as inferior and won't bother helping you out. This is the same on the streets of Japan. There is a way you can get them to speak English to you and that is speaking Japanses to them. They will be flattered that you took the time to learn their language and try to speak English to you. Or alteast some of them will.

Summary: They do know English, but they choose not to speak it to us because most of them think we are inferior.

ABDUR101
Jan 19, 2003, 11:06 AM
...yes, I'm sure every person in Japan thinks everyone else is in the world is insignificant.

Stereotypes are lame.

dude3282
Jan 19, 2003, 11:09 AM
On 2003-01-19 08:06, ABDUR101 wrote:
...yes, I'm sure every person in Japan thinks everyone else is in the world is insignificant.

Stereotypes are lame.

The only generalization I like is that stereotypes are always wrong; there are exceptions to every stereotype.

Ness
Jan 19, 2003, 11:11 AM
On 2003-01-19 08:06, ABDUR101 wrote:

Stereotypes are lame.

I didn't say every person. I just said most people. I know this from experience man.

IceBlink
Jan 19, 2003, 11:12 AM
Back on v2, I never had any problem with talking to Japanese folk... one conversation even led to hospital visits. XD

But yes, stereotyping is quite lame. If we lived on stereotypes, would that mean while Japanese are antisocial, all US players are rude, obnoxious, swear constantly, and can't type English properly? o_O

Ness
Jan 19, 2003, 11:24 AM
I have too. I knew this girl named Kiki that was my best friend on PSO. She gave all this stuuf and spoke English to me. I also tried speaking Japanese to her, but at the time I sucked at it, but it was all good.

ABDUR101
Jan 19, 2003, 11:28 AM
On 2003-01-19 08:11, Ness wrote:
I didn't say every person. I just said most people. I know this from experience man.

Ness, by experience, do you mean that you have talked to or know most Japanese people?

On 2003-01-19 08:09, dude3282 wrote:
The only generalization I like is that stereotypes are always wrong; there are exceptions to every stereotype.

It's just so easy to classify everyone under a stereotype that doesn't fit everyone. There are exceptions to every rule, thats not a surprise, however you can't "sum up" an entire nation as being on high horses and thinking everyone else in the world is inferior. If that's the arguement, I know a country that fits the description much better than Japan.

On 2003-01-19 08:12, IceBlink wrote:
Back on v2, I never had any problem with talking to Japanese folk... one conversation even led to hospital visits. XD

..wait..are we talking in-game hospital visits, or actual hospital visits. O_o

...I think we all know why you get hurt so much now. =x

But yes, stereotyping is quite lame. If we lived on stereotypes, would that mean while Japanese are antisocial, all US players are rude, obnoxious, swear constantly, and can't type English properly? o_O

As dude said, there are exceptions...

"o my god, i jus gota Db sabor!!1 Iam tehsheit!!1!"

I've seen uncountable players from the US type like that, therefore most US players must not be able to type properly.

Oh wait..I'm from the US and I don't type like that. Doh. =

KouHotaru
Jan 19, 2003, 11:57 AM
Ness, while it is true that the Japanese are taught English from a eary age, this coincides with them learning the most complicated aspects of their language at the same time (i.e, their collection of kanji). They are taught how to read before speaking, hence many Japanese cannot SPEAK English, only being able to read and write a little. While studies are intensified in high school, they are also covering for and craming their other subjects as well, the most important of which is mathematics. So if you want to be basic about it, it's like learning French or Spanish for a few years in high school, as you get older and use it less, the memory of proper reading/speaking procedures weakens and goes away.
Also, as previously mentioned many of the players of MMORPGs tend to use a bastard form of English (commonly refered to as internet-short hand or sometimes leet/l337), and hence become even more uncomprihensible by others, including those who can 'speak English'.

And do you wish to know why I know this, Ness? Because I am on my fifth year of Japanese studies (high school + college), and I spent two weeks as a student at Katagoka High School in Himeji, Japan (Phoenix's sister city) as a part of an extange. So I suggest you stop trying to villianize me or best me on this subject because you are not in the position to do so. ^-^

Cloak
Jan 19, 2003, 01:45 PM
So I suggest you stop trying to villianize me or best me on this subject because you are not in the position to do so.

Ooh.. politely pwned...

*steps back*

Nawms
Jan 19, 2003, 02:27 PM
On 2003-01-19 02:19, Spy wrote:
This is, again, silly. How about we just have Big Brother come in and micromanage how each of us acts on PSO servers?

And while we're at it we can all make cookie-cutter humars by the name Sephiroth and act exactly the same.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Spy on 2003-01-19 02:20 ]</font>

Hey your right spy.
besides, ive gotta social tip form some people, get off your gc or comp and go and talk to a "real" person. Well i guess that applies to me too.

Ness
Jan 19, 2003, 03:02 PM
On 2003-01-19 08:57, KouHotaru wrote:
Ness, while it is true that the Japanese are taught English from a eary age, this coincides with them learning the most complicated aspects of their language at the same time (i.e, their collection of kanji). They are taught how to read before speaking, hence many Japanese cannot SPEAK English, only being able to read and write a little. While studies are intensified in high school, they are also covering for and craming their other subjects as well, the most important of which is mathematics. So if you want to be basic about it, it's like learning French or Spanish for a few years in high school, as you get older and use it less, the memory of proper reading/speaking procedures weakens and goes away.
Also, as previously mentioned many of the players of MMORPGs tend to use a bastard form of English (commonly refered to as internet-short hand or sometimes leet/l337), and hence become even more uncomprihensible by others, including those who can 'speak English'.

And do you wish to know why I know this, Ness? Because I am on my fifth year of Japanese studies (high school + college), and I spent two weeks as a student at Katagoka High School in Himeji, Japan (Phoenix's sister city) as a part of an extange. So I suggest you stop trying to villianize me or best me on this subject because you are not in the position to do so. ^-^

I'm not trying to antagonize anyone or trying best anyone as well. Let me tell you something also, PSo's general audience are people that are in middle-high school and by then they know plenty of Japanse. I too have been informally studying Japanese ( four years) and reading about their culture. I have spoken with many Japanese players on PSO in English and they have understood me and have spoken good English back too me. While it is possible that this could be an exception in Japan, many people in JP PSO seem to know good English.

Also you make it sound like they have so mush on their mind that they don't remember the English they learn. I will have you know that I've taken two of the three years on Spanish need for distinguished achievemnt and all AP claese and I still have time to remember Spanish, Japanese, English, play videogames, and still pull an A in all my clases. Considering all of that I also have space top remeber test questions from Kindergarden. If I can do allof that than I know the average person can, that is unlees you're saying all Japanese people have bad memories. Also I've never heard anyone in PSO speak 1337. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I've never heard it. I think most people would be smart enough to know not to around JP people anyway.

In summary, though you brought up some good points you aren't looking at the whole picture here. Alos I've noticed that you consider this me "atagonizing" you. Now correct me if I'm worng, but atagonizing and disagreeing have totally different meanings.

Eden
Jan 19, 2003, 03:11 PM
Every single Japanese person I have met on PSO is nice, and likes americans. Maybe because I speak in JP to them?

Blue147
Jan 19, 2003, 04:15 PM
why would japaness people think thier better than us thats stupid thier not better than us and we'er not better than them.lol.the only thing i can think of that thier better at is anime but thats it,and we created the video game then they bought the stuff to make games from us.so i dont get thier resons to think thier better than us.i well never understaned people that think they are better than other people.

Vantamiath
Jan 19, 2003, 04:16 PM
Confuscious sr-ay...

People are people.
Looks are looks.

Bloodberry
Jan 19, 2003, 04:31 PM
For all your japanese language needs (http://pepper.idge.net/japanese/) and to quote :

"Because of this, all Japanese have been taught the same English-language course, which consists of reading The Canterbury Tales, watching several episodes of M*A*S*H, and reading the English dictionary from cover to cover. Armed with this extensive language knowledge, the children of Japan emerge from school ready to take part in international business and affairs, uttering such remarkable and memorable sentences as "You have no chance to survive make your time", and adding to their own products by inscribing english slogans, such as "Just give this a Paul. It may be the Paul of your life" on the side of a slot machine."

Subliminalgroove
Jan 19, 2003, 05:05 PM
On 2003-01-19 13:31, Bloodberry wrote:
For all your japanese language needs (http://pepper.idge.net/japanese/) and to quote :

"Because of this, all Japanese have been taught the same English-language course, which consists of reading The Canterbury Tales, watching several episodes of M*A*S*H, and reading the English dictionary from cover to cover. Armed with this extensive language knowledge, the children of Japan emerge from school ready to take part in international business and affairs, uttering such remarkable and memorable sentences as "You have no chance to survive make your time", and adding to their own products by inscribing english slogans, such as "Just give this a Paul. It may be the Paul of your life" on the side of a slot machine."

That's a pretty funny essay. But I think that we amaricans don't realize how screwed up our own language is. Its not logical in the least. At least in japanese every symbol represents a syllable that IS pronounced; where as we have a plethora of words with one or more letters that are NEVER pronounced. Those letters were merely put there for ascthetic reasons, or so it would seem. Oh, a personal favorite of mine, "i before e, except after c", and lord knows how many other letters. But there is no clear rule to guide you through that one, you just have to figure it out by trial an error throughout childhood, and even on into adulthood, which words are spelled with the "e" first or the "I".

As far as screwing up words in another language; I can't even count how many times a person I know went to get a tattoo of a Kanji for angel or warrior or god knows what else and ended up with some random lines that look nice but mean nothing. Or better yet, mean something like "cake" or "polywog."

Foreign language confusion is rampant in every society. I, for one, admire anyone who becomes fluent and capable of casual conversation in a second language. Hell, most people in America have problems with our native language. A problem which would explain the nation average of a fourth grade reading level. That's right, FOURTH GRADE! There is a reason the USA Today is one of the most read mewspapers in the country and people like Katie Kurik are considered journalists.

Oi! Sorry, that turned into a literacy rant. Blame it on the librarian. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Subliminalgroove on 2003-01-19 14:08 ]</font>

Ness
Jan 19, 2003, 05:09 PM
On 2003-01-19 13:31, Bloodberry wrote:

I read that and I agree with the people part. Infact there are some Japanses that don't acknowledge you until you speak ever word completely correct. He is exaggerating a bit thought, but this ties in to what I said about them knowing English but choosing not to speak it.

LamerPanda
Jan 19, 2003, 05:12 PM
Begging for items generally doesn't work on the US ships, either.

I somehow doubt that all the Japanese players see us as inferior.

Have you considered that it's easier to speak in your own language than someone else's? Even if I was fluent in Japanese, I'd probably use English or Word Select on Japanese ships anyway.

I don't know anyone that remembers test questions from Kindergarden. o_0

Edit:
On, and that page "exaggerated a little bit"? Did you read all of it?

"Author's Note: This whole essay, although sprinkled with truisms here and there, is a joke and should be taken like one."

XD

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LamerPanda on 2003-01-19 14:15 ]</font>

Ness
Jan 19, 2003, 05:37 PM
On 2003-01-19 14:12, LamerPanda wrote:
Begging for items generally doesn't work on the US ships, either.

I somehow doubt that all the Japanese players see us as inferior.

Have you considered that it's easier to speak in your own language than someone else's? Even if I was fluent in Japanese, I'd probably use English or Word Select on Japanese ships anyway.

I don't know anyone that remembers test questions from Kindergarden. o_0

Edit:
On, and that page "exaggerated a little bit"? Did you read all of it?

"Author's Note: This whole essay, although sprinkled with truisms here and there, is a joke and should be taken like one."

XD

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LamerPanda on 2003-01-19 14:15 ]</font>

Actually. I didn't read all of it when I posted the above message, but like he said there were som ture statements in there. The Japanese grammer system is a bitch. You're right not all Japanese see us a inferior, but that's because they've had time to "Americanize". 20 or 30 years ago the Japanese were racist seeing themselves on the top, light skinned people next, and then dark-skinned people on the bottom. Also they only buy Japan made product whenever possible. That's why the Xbox is doing so bad there. They even interveiwed some people and I quote "The Xbox is a bad system because it doesn't have Japanese games. If it had Japanese games it would be alot better." They this not only with videogames, but with electronics, clothes, food, and just about everything else. They will also favor their people or the work of thier people over the work of others. That's why they won't allow America to ship them food and also why the American servers go unpatched. Now don't get me wrong it has gooten better and not all Japanese are racist, but they still faovr their products and people.

I remeber my Kindergarten test questions:

"Fill in the circle under the thickest book"

"Which one of there is a trio?"
Book Tree branch Group of three people

I got that one wrond by the way. I picked the tree branch instead of the group of three people.

LamerPanda
Jan 19, 2003, 05:51 PM
A lot of people in America try to buy products that were made in America because they're trying to support their country. I don't really see anything wrong with that. Are the Japanese just biased? Maybe, but most people favor their own country at least slightly above the others, so I won't complain. As for the patches, there are more Japanese PSO players than American PSO players, so they're going to get more than we do. It's best to try to please your largest audience first and then focus on the smaller ones. C'est la vie.

Grammar in general is irritating, it's just simpler in some languages than others. English and Japanese are 2 of the hardest languages to have proper grammar in.

Your kindergarden test questions frighten me. =P

Ness
Jan 19, 2003, 06:01 PM
On 2003-01-19 14:51, LamerPanda wrote:
A lot of people in America try to buy products that were made in America because they're trying to support their country. I don't really see anything wrong with that. Are the Japanese just biased? Maybe, but most people favor their own country at least slightly above the others, so I won't complain. As for the patches, there are more Japanese PSO players than American PSO players, so they're going to get more than we do. It's best to try to please your largest audience first and then focus on the smaller ones. C'est la vie.

Grammar in general is irritating, it's just simpler in some languages than others. English and Japanese are 2 of the hardest languages to have proper grammar in.

Your kindergarden test questions frighten me. =P

I will agree with your grammar arguement. Spaniosh is a hell of alot eaiser tho learn than either language.

A lot of people in America try to buy products that were made in America because they're trying to support their country. I don't really see anything wrong with that. Are the Japanese just biased?

There is a fine line between being patriotic or biased. What the Americans could be considered patriotic. We trry to buy American products to help out our industry, but will not be shunned or beat oursleves up for buying something foreign. The Japanese on the other hand, will not buy somethinbg just because it's foreign. If Xbox were Japanese, it would be selling a hell of alot better in Japan. The games could even be the same it's the fact that it's Japanese. This would be considered by most people as being biased or racist, especially when the American counterpart of the product is just a good if not better.

How do my test questions frighten you? How old are you anyway?

Munki
Jan 19, 2003, 06:07 PM
I have heard the stereotype that Japanese feel they are superior to everyone else... but then again, every nation has their own chunk of people that think the same thing. After all, why do you think most wars are started? Cuz one country thinks they are far better than the other, or something of that matter...

As IHATEpsoCHEATERS stated... people are people.

And to the whole 'forgetting' languages... I took 6 years of french, in High School, and College... and you know what?

I remember "Je ne sais pas"... ( I don't evern know if I spelled it right...) which means I don't know. Which i found myself saying alot in french. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif So, yeah, I can see the japanese students not remembering a bunch of our language. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Especially since it is so 'whacked out'. Word.

*I am exagerating, I can fight my way through some written french, and get the general gist of what is written... but it takes a good amount of time, and don't ask me to do much else with it*

LamerPanda
Jan 19, 2003, 06:09 PM
Yeah, Spanish is pretty easy, except when first learning about accent marks.

"Tree branch" sounds remotely like "trio", but a book? How does someone mistake a book for a trio? 0_o

Oh, and I'm 15. I only act like I'm 3 years old, that's all.

Ness
Jan 19, 2003, 06:26 PM
On 2003-01-19 15:09, LamerPanda wrote:
Yeah, Spanish is pretty easy, except when first learning about accent marks.

"Tree branch" sounds remotely like "trio", but a book? How does someone mistake a book for a trio? 0_o

Oh, and I'm 15. I only act like I'm 3 years old, that's all.

I'm 15 too. I don't know why they put the book on their. I bet some kids picked it, given the school I moved away from in 4th grade.

haterade
Jan 19, 2003, 06:34 PM
On 2003-01-19 12:02, Ness wrote:

...Considering all of that I also have space top remeber test questions from Kindergarden.

Of course you'd remember that... how hard is it to think back to five grades ago?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: haterade on 2003-01-19 15:35 ]</font>

Spy
Jan 19, 2003, 06:42 PM
On 2003-01-19 15:34, haterade wrote:

Of course you'd remember that... how hard is it to think back to five grades ago?

If I had an evil cackle now is the time I would use it.

Ness
Jan 19, 2003, 07:59 PM
On 2003-01-19 15:34, haterade wrote:

On 2003-01-19 12:02, Ness wrote:

...Considering all of that I also have space top remeber test questions from Kindergarden.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: haterade on 2003-01-19 15:35 ]</font>

You mean 10 grades ago.

Raz
Jan 19, 2003, 09:02 PM
wow i cant believe i read all of that... well anyway there were a lot of good points stated- just wanted to say that i did have a best friend that was JP. that covers my post for the day

yea..

Ness
Jan 19, 2003, 10:10 PM
On 2003-01-19 18:02, Raz wrote:
wow i cant believe i read all of that... well anyway there were a lot of good points stated- just wanted to say that i did have a best friend that was JP. that covers my post for the day

yea..

I had a good friend that was JP too.

Munki
Jan 19, 2003, 10:15 PM
I know someone named J.P.

Does that count? I wanna be part of the cool club too!

Ness
Jan 19, 2003, 10:34 PM
On 2003-01-19 19:15, Munki wrote:
I know someone named J.P.

Does that count? I wanna be part of the cool club too!

Tell him to swithc to the Japanese language and you'll be in.

rena-ko
Jan 20, 2003, 09:03 AM
*laughs*

who cares what country someone comes from or what language he/she speaks natively - heck i even can have a nice conversation with french and there is me, dont really likeing france or french lifestyle (not the french people itself, really!).

and for being patriotic...
if you mean, buying a product because its manufactured in your area/country, i think its okay... as long as you dont make a religion out of it.
if you mean, dislikeing everything for no appearant reason whats origin is not your own country, then this is kinda ridiculous and sad.
i for myself am not proud of germany that much, because theres no real reason to be and because people who are can be easily labeled neonazi.

ok, i think everyone is disturbed by now, my work is done.

neko-chan
Jan 20, 2003, 09:32 AM
On 2003-01-19 07:16, Ness wrote:
JP see foriegners as inferior

Not all foreigners. Just you.

This is the same on the streets of Japan.

I wonder what happens on the streets of Texas.

Siegfried
Jan 20, 2003, 12:04 PM
On 2003-01-19 08:28, ABDUR101 wrote:
(...) There are exceptions to every rule, thats not a surprise,(...)

There is, however, one rule I've been pondering on. It isn't quite a written rule, but I've been watching the Quantum Leap marathon on Sci-Fi for a little while now, so go with me here and try to see things in an ordered fashion as I say them.

The question is "Can you alter the past, via time travel?" I, myself, would say that "No, you cannot." Seeing as how you originally time traveled to alter a certain occurence in time. If you did so, then there would never have been an event to trigger your interaction with it. And since you did alter it, then the time space continuum(sp?) would undo itself because of one action contradicting another, thus nullifying both actions from taking place. And since the latter action was cancelled, the first would've occured, yet it wouldn't have. Not to mention the other affects that could drastically change the time period, if per say you did not succeed on your time travel. (I.e. : You did not complete your goal in the past, or you unknowingly altered it before you set forth to do what you intended to do.)

Now that I have gone all the way the f*** off topic, I guess I'll leave this post alone for awhile. Heh.

:unknown smiley:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Siegfried on 2003-01-20 09:05 ]</font>

Ness
Jan 20, 2003, 12:22 PM
On 2003-01-20 06:03, rena-ko wrote:
*laughs*

who cares what country someone comes from or what language he/she speaks natively - heck i even can have a nice conversation with french and there is me, dont really likeing france or french lifestyle (not the french people itself, really!).

and for being patriotic...
if you mean, buying a product because its manufactured in your area/country, i think its okay... as long as you dont make a religion out of it.
if you mean, dislikeing everything for no appearant reason whats origin is not your own country, then this is kinda ridiculous and sad.
i for myself am not proud of germany that much, because theres no real reason to be and because people who are can be easily labeled neonazi.

ok, i think everyone is disturbed by now, my work is done.

Here the difference between pariotism and being biased.

Patriotism is buying something because it's made by your country.

Being biased or racist is not buying something because it's foreign.

While they seem very similar I assure you that they are not.

neko-chan
Jan 20, 2003, 01:23 PM
The mainly buy made in Japan things because those things are made, expressly, for the internal market, according to their tastes, refined over the years to match their preferences. Can't you understand this? I wouldn't buy a pair of shoes made in America, simply because here in Italy I can find the best brands of shoes ever conceived. Vice versa, I'd buy an Xbox console (the American version, not PAL), since the games come out sooner than here in Europe and I could play on Xbox Live! servers right now.

The whole Xbox affair isn't the best example to describe the situation in Japan. If Xbox would have games such as Dragon Quest or FF or Mario Party, of course Japanese people would buy the system. Why anyone would buy a game console if this console is not able to offer good games? I bought the GCN for PSO, the PS2 for GTA and the DC for Grandia II. I don't care the console, I care the games. Only fanboys think the opposite.

On 2003-01-19 14:37, Ness wrote:
They this not only with videogames, but with electronics, clothes, food, and just about everything else.

Yep, this is why Japan is full of McDonalds’s, Ralph Lauren and Levi's shops, the favourite place where to sit and drink a coffee is Starbucks and Macintoshes are selling pretty good. And regarding electronics: it's like to try to sell ice to a esquimo. They are already the manufacturer of the finest electronics in the world.

But, on top of that, have you ever been there once? Or you're basing your arguments just on your imagination?

Ness
Jan 20, 2003, 02:05 PM
On 2003-01-20 10:23, neko-chan wrote:
The mainly buy made in Japan things because those things are made, expressly, for the internal market, according to their tastes, refined over the years to match their preferences. Can't you understand this? I wouldn't buy a pair of shoes made in America, simply because here in Italy I can find the best brands of shoes ever conceived. Vice versa, I'd buy an Xbox console (the American version, not PAL), since the games come out sooner than here in Europe and I could play on Xbox Live! servers right now.

What does this have to do with anything I said? You just like arguing with me.

The whole Xbox affair isn't the best example to describe the situation in Japan. If Xbox would have games such as Dragon Quest or FF or Mario Party, of course Japanese people would buy the system.

The Xbox does have Japanese games on it and I think that the Xbox's games are good and so do many other people including you. The only reason it's not selling well is because it's American.

Why anyone would buy a game console if this console is not able to offer good games? I bought the GCN for PSO, the PS2 for GTA and the DC for Grandia II. I don't care the console, I care the games. Only fanboys think the opposite.
I don't care about the console either. I still play my Supernes and my Gameboy games on my GBA. Why are you bringing fanboys into this they have nothing do do with what I'm saying.

Yep, this is why Japan is full of McDonalds?s, Ralph Lauren and Levi's shops, the favourite place where to sit and drink a coffee is Starbucks and Macintoshes are selling pretty good. And regarding electronics: it's like to try to sell ice to a esquimo. They are already the manufacturer of the finest electronics in the world.

While it is true that there are many of those places in Japan, it took a long time for them to accept them. Also even though they may be American companies they have been transformed to fit the Japanese standards.

But, on top of that, have you ever been there once? Or you're basing your arguments just on your imagination?

Hey Neko I have news for you! People can learn about other countries without visiting them! Wow! Cool isn't it?! I've have watched about 40 doucmentaries of Japoan and Japanese life and have been to several websites on the internet.

Unis
Jan 20, 2003, 02:56 PM
People can learn about other countries without visiting them! Wow! Cool isn't it?!

Watching documentaries and taking classes hardly equates to actually learning about another country in any practical sense. Given, they may prepare you for what to expect, but they're nothing compared to actually being there and experiencing it all in the first hand.

I even see this in Americans who come to England for the first time - and our countries have much more in common than the US and Japan; some seem amazed that London isn't actually a quaint little city crammed with rotten-toothed, ruddy cheeked strange folk who speak English like the Queen, or at the fact that most of the food here actually defies expectation in that it tastes great (and it does - I'm from California, so I have no reason to be biased).

The time that I spent in Tokyo was a real eye opener; I realised that years of learning about Japan would have been entirely valueless but for the fact that it prepared me for some of the few more "stereotypical" Japanese customs... the rest went out the window as, bar the language barrier and odd social difference, most things are the same - I was rather sad to see how eagerly the Japanese embrace western culture and trends at the expense of their own culture, and that included older people, but I also realised that they see it as a kind of progress - taking the best of what each culture has to offer.
Biased against American products? Not in the least; my Japanese friends don't buy the Xbox simply because Nintendo and Sony have the monopoly on the local market, a million titles, and also the fact that neither company benefits the 'big evil', Microsoft. If Microsoft were English, French, Chinese or Singaporean, and operated just like the real US company we all know and cherish (pukes) does, they probably wouldn't buy from it either.

As for racism - I don't know many people who are more racist than my fellow Americans, but that too, is a big generalisation; most people here who play PSO are fairly open minded... you'd have to be when playing a game that brings such different communities together.

Oh, and to the friendly neighbourhood German - I spent a few weeks in East and West Berlin this year; all the Berliners I met, generally my age (23-28 year olds), seemed to be ashamed about their country and its history... I can understand why they might worry about this but... you're all crazy to dwell so deeply upon on your past. Germany is one of the most fantastic places I've visited in years; I've never had so much fun, been so busy, and done so many crazy things in such a short period, whilst being blown away by the sheer magnificence of the culture, art and history. Have you visited the Reichstag and taken in the view of your capital? Like much of the country, it is just breathtaking. What took place in the 30s and 40s was a travesty, but those days are gone - the full horror of what eugenic policies can lead to are realised, and Germany has learned and moved on; so should her people - rarely have I met such an open minded and welcoming people http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Vive la difference!

neko-chan
Jan 20, 2003, 03:09 PM
On 2003-01-20 11:05, Ness wrote:
I've have watched about 40 doucmentaries

Lesson number 1: porn != documentary.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: neko-chan on 2003-01-20 12:11 ]</font>

deathsshadow
Jan 20, 2003, 03:14 PM
I'm kinda off topic today but, my friends in school make fun of me/and or say something about Canada's culture and lifestyle when I do something stupid, me being Canadain doesn't have anything to do with stupidity... most Americans are extremely ignorant by next to everyone in the world/ but...I'm just gona stop now.

Spy
Jan 20, 2003, 03:16 PM
Ness man, seriously, is everything okay? I mean, you're butting heads in almost every other topic. Is there anything you want to talk about? We'll listen.

Ness
Jan 20, 2003, 03:27 PM
On 2003-01-20 12:16, Spy wrote:
Ness man, seriously, is everything okay? I mean, you're butting heads in almost every other topic. Is there anything you want to talk about? We'll listen.

Yeah I'm good. I just cleared everything up with Dangerous. BEsides I didn't flame Neko. I just disagreed with him.

LamerPanda
Jan 20, 2003, 07:44 PM
Being Canadian has nothing to do with stupidity, and neither does being American. o_0 Not all of us are ignorant. Bleah.

Documentaries aren't always right. Didn't Disney or something have this documentary where they drove lemmings off a cliff, helping to perpetuate the myth that they just jump off? Read that somewhere, can't remember the name of it... x_X *looks it up*

"White Wilderness". Poor lemmings.

Spy
Jan 20, 2003, 09:55 PM
I dont see race, sex, or anything physical like that shit. I see people for intelligence. You're either smart, and worthy of my interaction, or you're not.

haterade
Jan 21, 2003, 05:08 AM
On 2003-01-20 11:05, Ness wrote:
People can learn about other countries without visiting them! Wow! Cool isn't it?! I've have watched about 40 doucmentaries of Japoan and Japanese life and have been to several websites on the internet.

Oh man.... XD

You can't be serious! Hands-on experience comes SECOND to websites and documentaries?! The hell are you smokin'?! XD Know what? I'm just gonna leave this one alone. I'm not even gonna bother putting a spotlight on your idiocy today...

And I say good day, sir.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: haterade on 2003-01-21 02:10 ]</font>

Ness
Jan 21, 2003, 06:14 PM
On 2003-01-21 02:08, haterade wrote:

Oh man.... XD

You can't be serious! Hands-on experience comes SECOND to websites and documentaries?! The hell are you smokin'?! XD Know what? I'm just gonna leave this one alone. I'm not even gonna bother putting a spotlight on your idiocy today...

And I say good day, sir.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: haterade on 2003-01-21 02:10 ]</font>

I find this kinda funny. You off on people for putting words in your mouth, but you are doing the same thing to me. I'm not goign to go off on you, but I will correct you. I never said that documentaries were better than a hands-on experience because hands-on is usually always better. I was just saying that there are other ways to learn aobout something than a hands-on experience.

gunome
Jan 22, 2003, 06:19 PM
i agree with the original post, and everyonw should kno how to use the WordChoice, especially if you dont have a kb, regadless if you're trying to talk to Jp or US players it just helps. trying to generalize a whole population based on a few thousand people that play a video game is just stupid. I just took a poll of everyone in the US that played Bible Adventures for NES and guess what?!?! AMERICA FREAKING LOVES JESUS!!! o wait u never played that game?...hmmmm Any way im sure theres JP people that love Americans and their culture and those that loathe it. i ve met and played with plenty of JP that spoke to me in english and only word select. if you try to adapt to them and not have them adapt to u you'll get a better response, just be friendly.