PDA

View Full Version : PSO V's PSU

Bolvyn
Mar 20, 2008, 11:13 AM
Tell me your thouts about PSO and PSU.

What would you do to make PSU better than it is know?

What do you miss aout PSO?

Let me know whicth do you like better?

DEM_CIG
Mar 20, 2008, 11:15 AM
Not another Flame war. sigh* cant w8 to see how long this last.

Retniwreven
Mar 20, 2008, 11:16 AM
The only thing I really miss are the weapons.
Also the not-terrible Ramarl/Fomarl/etc hats.
And Falz. Falz was epic.
Lastly... Ill Gills. We need more complete jackass mobs.

Aside from that, as an experience as a whole, I much prefer PSU.

AlMcFly
Mar 20, 2008, 11:17 AM
Lol, this same thread pops up once every like 3 months or so right? Challenge mode in PSU is all I have to say.

Edit: P.S. hurry up and get more non-loli pm's. They were annoying when PSU first launched and they are still annoying. Not all of the players here are wannabe-Japanese pedophiles.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: McFlyVII on 2008-03-20 09:19 ]</font>

Bolvyn
Mar 20, 2008, 11:17 AM
I am not trying to start a Flame war. I jest what to know people thout are.

oops

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bolvyn on 2008-03-21 06:38 ]</font>

DEM_CIG
Mar 20, 2008, 11:21 AM
On 2008-03-20 09:17, Bolvyn wrote:
I am now trying to start a Flame war. I jest what to know people thout are.

Never said u were, it will just happen... out of the blue.

JAFO22000
Mar 20, 2008, 11:22 AM
I am now trying to start a Flame war.

AWESOME!!!!

DEM_CIG
Mar 20, 2008, 11:31 AM
Just for fun... In Befor the Flame War!!!

RedMussel
Mar 20, 2008, 11:41 AM
On 2008-03-20 09:22, JAFO22000 wrote:

AWESOME!!!!

:D!!!!!

SStrikerR
Mar 20, 2008, 11:49 AM
On 2008-03-20 09:41, RedMussel wrote:

On 2008-03-20 09:22, JAFO22000 wrote:

AWESOME!!!!

:D!!!!!

QFT....I love typos.
(or was it a typo? hmmm)

Xefi
Mar 20, 2008, 11:52 AM
I like both.
PSU will eventually gets better: more events, the addition of Ultimate Mode, and more evil enemies like *Gaozoran*
I missed the shortcut keys from PSOBB and the boss Kondrieu
I like both.

Bomber The Cosmonaut
Mar 20, 2008, 11:54 AM

Good times.

SStrikerR
Mar 20, 2008, 11:56 AM
On 2008-03-20 09:52, RubySion wrote:
I like both.
PSU will eventually gets better: more events, the addition of Ultimate Mode, and more evil enemies like *Gaozoran*
I missed the shortcut keys from PSOBB and the boss Kondrieu
I like both.

Since when did psu ever even get Normal mode!? 0_o;

Jakosifer
Mar 20, 2008, 11:59 AM
PSO has better weapons, music and atmosphere
PSU has a better battle system and story (lolstory)

I enjoyed PSO more, but think PSU will ultimately end up being better.

Xefi
Mar 20, 2008, 12:03 PM
On 2008-03-20 09:56, Ryan113 wrote:
Since when did psu ever even get Normal mode!? 0_o;

I say that for an improvement on the game part. PSU will eventually get Ultimate Mode. You can say that i am just speculating? Time will tell. -_-;

Calamity
Mar 20, 2008, 12:45 PM
i think pso jus had a better feeling to it

Mikura
Mar 20, 2008, 01:03 PM
PSO had better atmosphere and I kinda enjoyed the community more in a weird way but besides that, I like PSU much better in every regard.

Kamica
Mar 20, 2008, 01:16 PM
PSO is better because it has more people than PSU (PC/PS2). Picture was taken 5 minutes ago.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y148/RyuuHasha/PSO/NewPicture.jpg

imfanboy
Mar 20, 2008, 01:29 PM
On 2008-03-20 11:16, Kamica wrote:
PSO is better because it has more people than PSU (PC/PS2). Picture was taken 5 minutes ago.

Now THAT'S comedy.

*goes back to playing Advance Wars 2*

Saphion
Mar 20, 2008, 02:34 PM
Gee, this thread hasn't been done before.

Spacepest
Mar 20, 2008, 05:19 PM
I miss symbol chat. There's nothing like being able to illustrate the fact that "you are a wanker," along with other concepts across international boundaries. I wish PSU had symbol chat.

GaNksTa
Mar 20, 2008, 05:27 PM

True.. but that is not the International Server http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif (Though I guess it doesn't really matter..)

Anyways.. I like both; they both have their ups and downs..

I like PSO's weapon selection better than PSU's.

I prefer PSU's movement over than PSO's.

I have more compare/contrasts, but yeah..

unicorn
Mar 20, 2008, 05:38 PM
PSO > PSU.

Yes PSU does have more customization, better graphics, etc.... But PSU feels uncomplete no matter what. PSO always felt completed since day one, they just added to it.

And PSO has a better feel to it overall. PSO didn't have a *great* story, but it delivered it in a strong way. PSU is on the borderline of anime and sci-fi, it doesn't know what it is.

Mikura
Mar 20, 2008, 05:51 PM
On 2008-03-20 15:38, super_luu wrote:
PSO > PSU.

Yes PSU does have more customization, better graphics, etc.... But PSU feels uncomplete no matter what. PSO always felt completed since day one, they just added to it.

And PSO has a better feel to it overall. PSO didn't have a *great* story, but it delivered it in a strong way. PSU is on the borderline of anime and sci-fi, it doesn't know what it is.

Maybe it's a sci-fi anime then? >_>

Anyway, I hate polls like this because people should stop comparing the games. I grant you that PSO had the atmosphere, music, and overall presentation but PSU trumps it with a better combat system, skill lvling that requires you to actually raise your attacks rather than simply buy a lvl 30 disk and use it, and more of a race/class variety. Not to mention PSU at least tries to assemble a fleshed out story that has some meaning or depth to it. (Sure, it can seem lame or cookie cutter but at least they put more effort into it than they did with PSO).

In other words, both games have their strengths and weaknesses but saying one is better than the other for "this reason" or "that reason" is pointless. Just like this thread is.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mikura on 2008-03-20 15:54 ]</font>

Ffuzzy-Logik
Mar 20, 2008, 06:21 PM
I am now trying to start a Flame war.At least you're honest about it.

Apone
Mar 20, 2008, 07:32 PM
Curse that PS2 engine! >:( They did what they could with what they had...

SStrikerR
Mar 20, 2008, 07:51 PM
On 2008-03-20 15:27, GaNksTa wrote:

True.. but that is not the International Server http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif (Though I guess it doesn't really matter..)

Anyways.. I like both; they both have their ups and downs..

I like PSO's weapon selection better than PSU's.

I prefer PSU's movement over than PSO's.

I have more compare/contrasts, but yeah..

Well actually there's 389 people on now....heh

MinervaEros
Mar 20, 2008, 09:14 PM
My number 1 complaint about PSU is that the music gets annoying really fast, something Online game's music shouldnt do since you hear it ALL the time. PSO's music was far less annoyiing.

Other than that PSU just needs... more
more missions
more monsters (that arent the same ones being reused and reskinned over and over)
more items

Lol, basically PSU should continue to do what its doing, which is trying as hard as it can to be PSO

Katy
Mar 21, 2008, 12:27 AM
As far as PSU reskins are ok as long as they look and act ompletely different like Vanda and Vahra are reskins of each other but are nothing alike. The difference between Ageeta and Sageeta is beyond me why extra game data would be wasted like that.

Zorafim
Mar 21, 2008, 01:37 AM
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/images/common/entry_banner.jpg

Basically, PSO was Phantasy Star's masterpiece. Many companies have that, the one game that draws in a huge number of fans and is considered a near perfect game by many. Zelda had OoT, Final Fantasy had FFVII, Mario had SMB, Phantasy Star had PSO. Games made afterwards are always compared to these games, and often fail to live up to the expectations that fans had for it.

I find PSU fun, but it's definitely not a masterpiece game. You can tell by its welcoming, and the amount of effort Sega is putting in to it. Hell, to me, PSU looks like a game Sega made just to get some extra money to make better games. I can tell because of the obvious lack of effort in the creativity in the story and in the visual and musical arts, and how there is almost more content from previous games than for this game itself. That's not to say that the game may blossom into a masterpiece sometime in the future, of course, as the change between PSUv1 and AoI was huge.

Regardless, comparing this game to another won't get you anywhere. If you enjoy the game, as many people in these forums seem to, then play it. If not, quit. Nobody would blame you for quitting, as most of the population already has. I still enjoy the game, so I'm sticking put.

Zael
Mar 21, 2008, 01:43 AM
PSO had a better community and music.
PSU has better everything else.

While I've had more memorable times in PSO, the actual PSU gameplay is just flat out better imo.

Dark Emerald EXE
Mar 21, 2008, 01:48 AM
the two main things i missed from PSO that i wish PSU had was
1.Symbol chat
2. MAGs....the ones from PSO that affected your stats...

Those where the best ^_^

anything else i like how PSU is

o yea even tho it wouldnt really have any importance....i missed those telepipes You came back exactly where you placed it...rather then walking ALL THE WAY back...

ShadowDragon28
Mar 21, 2008, 04:09 AM
Oh wow, this shyte again?
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t127/ShadowDragon28/facepalm.jpg

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShadowDragon28 on 2008-03-21 02:10 ]</font>

R2D6battlebot
Mar 21, 2008, 05:20 AM
Top 10 reasons why PSO>PSU
10. Telepipes
9. Graphics (EP2 Seabed on GC > anything thus far seen on 360, PC might have it a little better off)
8. Unequipped fighting styles (Fonewearl rocked out loud, bitch-slap ftw)
7. More weapon variety (granted PSU is still not done updating, might get better with this)
6. Photon Blast chains
5. Symbol Chat
4. Spells visually changed every 5 levels, and buffs were actually better from 11-12 and so on
3. Mags (just in general, not to mention the most broken piece of equipment ever)
2. Stats on characters were customizable (Power Mat, Luck Mat etc)
1. Weapons actually meant something based on things other than looks or numbers (special effects)

ShadowDragon28
Mar 21, 2008, 07:40 AM
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t127/ShadowDragon28/karmaheadbang.gif

Bolvyn
Mar 21, 2008, 09:00 AM
On 2008-03-20 23:37, Zorafim wrote:
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/images/common/entry_banner.jpg

Basically, PSO was Phantasy Star's masterpiece. Many companies have that, the one game that draws in a huge number of fans and is considered a near perfect game by many. Zelda had OoT, Final Fantasy had FFVII, Mario had SMB, Phantasy Star had PSO. Games made afterwards are always compared to these games, and often fail to live up to the expectations that fans had for it.

I find PSU fun, but it's definitely not a masterpiece game. You can tell by its welcoming, and the amount of effort Sega is putting in to it. Hell, to me, PSU looks like a game Sega made just to get some extra money to make better games. I can tell because of the obvious lack of effort in the creativity in the story and in the visual and musical arts, and how there is almost more content from previous games than for this game itself. That's not to say that the game may blossom into a masterpiece sometime in the future, of course, as the change between PSUv1 and AoI was huge.

Regardless, comparing this game to another won't get you anywhere. If you enjoy the game, as many people in these forums seem to, then play it. If not, quit. Nobody would blame you for quitting, as most of the population already has. I still enjoy the game, so I'm sticking put.

Well sed. I am looking for some info to see what every one thinks. I like PSU but there is alot missing. I will still play it but it is getting boring. I think thay need to add somthing more. Not have higher drop rate. I would like to have PVP or chalenge mode back. It would make more people come back.
I played PSO sents the first one came out on Dream cast. PSO is a masterpiece. PSU thay jest threw it to gether and hope it worked. It worked for a wile but it is getting boring to most vets that played PSO. I think thay need a change.

Alizarin
Mar 21, 2008, 09:28 AM
I think some of the best parts about PSU are the things that made it different from PSO. They are separate games, and should've kept going in that direction. Seeing references from older PS games is understandable, and maintaining some of the major themes and conventions that the series has developed help keep PSU related to the others, but it should not rely solely on those aspects to keep it afloat.

What I think Sega should do with PSU is instead of just trying to fulfill the needs of older fans with bringing back stuff from PSO (which isn't all bad, I do like some of the items, but going along with another complaint about PSU they are still reskins) they should develop new things. For example: instead of relying on the RELIC sites to explain how these items came into existence, develop new items with unique effects specific to this game's own world.

Basically, the time sega spends trying to appease the older fans by bringing old items back the less time they spend dealing with the game's current issues, current problems and leaves them less motivated to create new items.

PSO was indeed a great game for it's time, but PSU needs to stand on it's own if it ever expects it to be good in it's own accord. Relying on PSO as a crutch hinders PSU's game development and encourages even more reasons to compare the two.

Though, looking at what PSU has in the upcoming months is a good sign. After MAG (which appears to be the last burst of PSO immersion for a while), the following Dengeki event introduces a variety of game modes and new items that could really spark a lot of interest in players new and old. If sega continues to develop new aspects and features like this (or at least keep them available after the event), then PSU can begin to set itself up in a better light.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alizarin on 2008-03-21 07:37 ]</font>

AlMcFly
Mar 21, 2008, 09:48 AM
Lol, I can't believe this thread lasted longer than 3 hours...

Edit: I wrote "days" originally, I meant hours, oopsies...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: McFlyVII on 2008-03-21 07:50 ]</font>

Norco
Mar 21, 2008, 10:47 AM
There is one thing that I really miss from PSO, that's the multiplayer function, just bring your memory card and play at a friends place, I can't even guess how many hours I spent at my friends place just playing and playing for hours on the multiplayer mode.
One thing I'd really like to see is a LAN function for PSU, basicly you use a extra mode character and play with your friends at a LAN. (I think this would be great for the PC version)

I also miss the old technic system, it was sort of smoother to use.

Other then that I think PSU is better in most aspects.

shadowfox09
Mar 22, 2008, 01:20 AM
kinda wish there was an offline multiplayer to play with my bros.....

shadowfox09
Mar 22, 2008, 01:21 AM
kinda wish there was an offline multiplayer to play with my bros.....

Finalzone
Mar 22, 2008, 02:47 AM
On 2008-03-21 08:47, Norco wrote:
There is one thing that I really miss from PSO, that's the multiplayer function, just bring your memory card and play at a friends place, I can't even guess how many hours I spent at my friends place just playing and playing for hours on the multiplayer mode.[/b]

That was true for both Gamecube and Xbox but not for the original Dreamcast version.

I also miss the old technic system, it was sort of smoother to use.
The maddoog addition use similar techniques from the old system.

ljkkjlcm9
Mar 22, 2008, 03:10 AM

YES, but no.

See the problem with this is, people played those games when they were truly revolutionary so to speak. Today these games are classics but honestly, not the best. OoT has been out done more than once now. FFVII was complete crap if you look at it nowadays. SMB is just classic, but it's not actually that amazing. And PSO is complete trash compared to what is out there now. Except people don't look at it that way. They want the new games that just make the old one better to hit them like the first one did.

Mario Galaxy is not going to hit someone like Mario 64, because it's just expanding on the already great idea, and making it better. Twilight Princess isn't hitting people like Ocarina of Time, because it's just another 3-D zelda game, plays almost identical, with just some cooler, new things. FF games don't exactly work because they're all vastly different from eachother.

BUT, PSU is a much better version of PSO. It truly is. But compared to things out now, it just doesn't seem so great. AND, in this case, to some, can't even compare to PSO which has been out for YEARS expanding and adding things. PSO now is not even close to PSO when it was released. PSU when it's ending won't even be close to what it is now.

The only games that people will ever give much credit to, are the ones they find revolutionary. Problem is, people say the games that just expand off the older idea aren't as good. It's like saying God of War 2 doesn't compare to God of War 1. Well no, because when you first played GoW 1, it felt new. GoW 2 was basically identical, just fixing some of the slight problems. GoW 2 is better, in almost every way, but yet it'll never have the same feel as GoW 1. And that's how it is with PSO and PSU. PSU is so much better to me, but yet it'll never have that impact that PSO had. DOES NOT MAKE PSO BETTER.

THE JACKEL

Cell132
Mar 22, 2008, 04:21 AM
I really only miss two things.

1. Being able to switch weapons on the fly. The system in PSU is a bit slower with the weapon switch interface, and adding in loading times for the weapons don't really mesh that well at times.

2. Mechguns. Twin handguns don't do it fer me. Personal preference really.

Ithildin
Mar 22, 2008, 06:30 AM
PSO and PSU are SEPARATE games. Stop trying to compare them, it's been done before (probably will be done again) it always ends in the same results: Some of us prefer PSO, some PSU. I actually prefer PSO, maybe because of the original impact it had on me, maybe that I have some gameplay preferences to it over PSU. However, I don't play PSO anymore because it's old, outdated and none of my friends play it anymore. PSU is still a relatively new game, being upated at regular intervals, it's keeping me interested. PSO isn't anymore. Sega pulled the plug on PSO and it's time to leave it where it is.

Zael
Mar 22, 2008, 08:20 AM
Final Fantasy had FFVII
looooooooool

Delete
Mar 22, 2008, 08:33 AM
Well this is psoworld.com not psu, so im pretty sure everyones gonna like pso more here. Me personally though, i like psu way more than pso.

PhdChristmas
Mar 22, 2008, 10:11 AM
they need to make hu's as useless as they were back in PSO imo (ŞA°')

Gameeater_01
Mar 22, 2008, 10:24 AM
I only play the PSU one!
Can anyone fill me in!

Gameeater_01
Mar 22, 2008, 10:37 AM
What is the differnce!

Norco
Mar 23, 2008, 08:58 PM
On 2008-03-22 08:37, Gameeater_01 wrote:
What is the differnce!

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/5564/picardnofacepalmka7.jpg

Jife_Jifremok
Mar 23, 2008, 09:07 PM
On 2008-03-22 06:20, Zael wrote:

Final Fantasy had FFVII
looooooooool

Sometimes a series will have more than one "masterpiece" game where differing schools of series fanboys will be at each other's throats about which is better. In Final Fantasy's case, FFVII and FFVI. In Castlevania's case, Symphony of the Night and...uh...one of them old ones, hopefully Dracula's Curse. In Phantasy Star's case, Phantasy Star IV and PSO. Usually, the later installment is the one that ushered in legions of noobs regardless of which is better, which is more popular, whether one has anything to do with the other, etc...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jife_Jifremok on 2008-03-23 19:09 ]</font>

Telina
Mar 23, 2008, 09:22 PM
i sat down with the express purpose of comparing PSU and PSO. And honestly the differences (outside of the battle system difference)

I think dropping the section ID idea was a bad idea, as it limits what can drop from monsters and only leaves bosses as the fall back to have random rares. Perhaps section ID's in psu would be a bit dry but since they can change the luck by race/gender, why not change the rares too? I think it'd add another reason to play anything but what is suited to your projected class.
The gross difference in damage wasn't there too, my 122 hunter was hitting for 400's and 600 on the critical. which wasn't too much different from my force, its not like the massive difference in hits in PSU, FF critis for 8k and my techer can crit for about 5k if i'm lucky.

I really hope they have plans for this game, like massive plans cause its getting harder and harder to see the big picture that SEGA has in store for this game to be quite honest..

TecherRamen
Mar 23, 2008, 09:28 PM
On 2008-03-20 09:17, McFlyVII wrote:
Challenge mode in PSU is all I have to say.
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: McFlyVII on 2008-03-20 09:19 ]</font>
[b]

YES!

Cathbar
Mar 23, 2008, 10:12 PM
Honestly, I never had a chance to play PSO online. I enjoyed that I could play mulitplayer with my family and friends. I also liked the Feel of the game a bit more than PSU's, something about it just clicked with me. PSU is also a fun game, but like many of you have said, it's not the same. I enjoy playing this game and would never quit (well... not for a long while), but I think by "mixing" the 2, it's just making me wish I could play PSO instead.There are many things about both that are hard to choose between and if I had to decide to play 1 over the other, I doubt I'd be able to.

I think the Jackal is right about PSU ultimately being better and that PSO just hit us differently because it was "new", but I also agree with Zorafim about PSO being a "masterpiece".They are both good games, very enjoyable in their own light. Perhaps they should've stayed completely seperate or maybe merged as seamlessly as possible.

However, as it stands we have PSU in all of it's miss-matched glory. It is still updating and, if I've heard correctly, is planned to continue on for several more years, growing and getting better (or at least bigger) with each new update and expansion. I say we hold off judgement on which was better or worse until after PSU is done and finished....

But, that's just what I think.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cathbar on 2008-03-23 20:15 ]</font>

zandra117
Mar 24, 2008, 03:15 PM
PSU is trying too hard to reference previous PS games. The storyline and setting screams "lol look at me im mimiking PSIV with photon weapons and im reusing PSII plot twists!"

PSO was original with small hints that linked it with PSIII. The only major references to past PS games was item names, monsters, and the occasional bit of "lost history" discovered in quests.

PSO was a game that you could lable as Phantasy Star V while PSU is a lame 3D corruption of Phantasy Star IV with multiplayer.

Rest in peace Phantasy Star, PSU has killed you.

Imma go back to PSU now.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zandra117 on 2008-03-24 13:17 ]</font>

Middle
Mar 24, 2008, 04:18 PM
I miss that you can't go just outside a field without a quest!
like good old days just making a forest run ...
in psu it would match if you can walk through the whole linear line without this stupid blocks. for example ...

Seira7
Mar 24, 2008, 07:55 PM
I always tell myself I wont reply to these threads, and like a bad habit I cant give up, I always do -_-
Lol...

I like a lot about PSU, I really do. The customization, PA's, etc. I guess the one thing I feel it lacks is "lore" "ambience" etc. i.e. a world you feel part of. Granted, the story and such in PSO was a bit silly & wacky, but I actually felt I was part of some space opera. The great soundtrack only added to the sense of "place"
The story in PSU is really lackluster. I dont care for any of the characters really, and the world is kind of bland.

I think the combat features are really good, esp with JA added, the multiple classes are really fun, but what PSU needs is a story/world/etc I feel part of and actually care about. They could add all the cool features in the world and w/o that...the game will still be a bit stale.

However, I have Mabinogi for a storyline now. I play Mabi for the "lore" and "world" and PSU for a fun, pick-me-up action game fix...I still like PSU, just think it could have been much better.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Seira7 on 2008-03-24 17:55 ]</font>

KiteWolfwood
Mar 24, 2008, 07:57 PM
There wasn't an option in the poll saying that you were an idiot so I just voted for PSU. PSO is fun but its mostly just the nostalgia glasses talking nowdays. PSU is as good, actually probably better then PSO. The only thing that is missing from PSU is the bunches of rares that PSO had. But each update brings us closer to that and so now it is only time before PSU is better in every way.

Gama
Mar 24, 2008, 11:04 PM
i chose pso cuz i had allot more fun on pso. sometimes i get bored on psu dont know why everything is great, have really good friends there i want to play with them but something is missing on the game, god i need the hucast outfit fast and forest lol.

ljkkjlcm9
Mar 24, 2008, 11:13 PM
I guess I partially appreciate PSU more, because I never payed attention to the story of PSO, and I don't care about the story mode of PSU. So I see little difference in just playing the game.

everyone seems to complain about the story, but if I want a story, I don't play an MMO, I play a real offline RPG that focused on the story. It's like people complaining about the 1-player adventure mode in Brawl. It's a multiplayer game, built around a multiplayer system, and they tried to make a decent 1 player story. Give it a break.

THE JACKEL

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ljkkjlcm9 on 2008-03-24 21:15 ]</font>

Weeaboolits
Mar 25, 2008, 12:00 AM
Before I go into super long semi-rant mode, I'd like to point out that Brawl's SSE mode supports two players, so even it is good multiplayer fun.

Anyway, to point.

First off, I enjoy PSU's faster fameplay and smooth movement action, but it feels more restricted, like the weapons, they're all the same as far as funtion, maybe an SE thrown in, but nothing more, I miss the more unique weapons and specials, such as Drill Launcher's special that reduced the range and power to strike more targets, weapons like Spread Needle that used one weapon's model and animation, but another's function. Not having clearly defined weapon limitations, sure it's convenient to know what you can use, but it'd be nice to have some loopholes, and such, like the Bringer Rifle that was usable by hunters and forces, or the Victor Axe that used the sword's animation and attack radius, but served the function of a saber and was usable by rangers.

Also I miss being able to make a small character and still see all of my weapon, on PSO I can make my RAcaseal minimum height and have very few issues with clipping whatsoever, in PSU, I make her a bit on the short side and suddenly all of my weapons are in the floor.

Other things, the weapon palette is okay, but it's nice to be able to carry however many you want and not fumble through the menus to add it, it slows down PSU's normally fast combat, not to mention the reduced aggressiveness in PSU's enemies, sure their AI is more advanced, but it hits me once and then decides it wants to run laps for a bit before coming in for another strike.

I also miss Mags, not just for their look, but I loved being able to customize my stats as I saw fit, in PSU, my Newman Acrofighter has the exact same stats of every other Newman Acrofighter of her level, I can't do anything to change my stats outside of units, which are limited, I can't use more than one unit to supplement her attack power since she only has one slot to hold it, also there are less unique units, aside from auras which serve only to increase stamina or be SUVs, there isn't much aside from increase X stat.

Also some stats have little importance, such as ATA and MST, I put on a Hard/Hit Charge, and I didn't notice any real difference in my hit rate, despite the unit giving a substantial boost and increasing my PP cost, also, the damage of enemy techs isn't substantially reduced with high MST, it mainly serves to determine if you get one-shotted or reduced to very low HP; though admittedly, PSO's system of elemental resistance wasn't much better.

Also as far as aesthetic, PSU beats PSO as far as graphic quality, but not in design, something about PSU's look just isn't as appealing, PSO's world was so much more interesting as well, both in appearance and in story. PSU's story is pretty dull, there's little intrigue, our enemies are clearly defined and our plot linear at times. In PSO, most everyone had some dirt on their hands, shady dealings left and right, enemies abound, it was more real. Things weren't so black and white, like in ep3, sure you could call the Arkz the "bad guys", but were they really, or was it the Principal Government that was operating with darker intentions? Also, you weren't just the witness to story, no, you were the main character, the NPCs didn't steal the spotlight, but served to develop the plot.

PSO had much better music as well, bosses in particular, in PSU the boss music is also way to quiet, even with it set to the same level as sound effects, it's barely audible, and much of it is fairly unexciting, whereas PSO's boss music really added a lot to the battle. Speaking of music, PSU also lost PSO's dynamic music which changed when enemies appeared, though to be fair, PSU rarely keeps you in a safe zone during a mission.

The main problem is for every step forward in PSU, they took one back, by removing something good, or adding something that wasn't, it's still a good, fun game, but it just doesn't live up to expectations, too much of the good ended up on the cutting room floor alongside the bad.

I probably left some things out, but I think my post is already long enough that half of you won't read it anyway.

Edit: And don't even bother with that "blinded by nostalgia" BS, I've been playing PSO all week.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ronin_Cooper on 2008-03-24 22:12 ]</font>

Seira7
Mar 25, 2008, 08:21 AM
On 2008-03-24 21:13, ljkkjlcm9 wrote:
I guess I partially appreciate PSU more, because I never payed attention to the story of PSO, and I don't care about the story mode of PSU. So I see little difference in just playing the game.

everyone seems to complain about the story, but if I want a story, I don't play an MMO, I play a real offline RPG that focused on the story. It's like people complaining about the 1-player adventure mode in Brawl. It's a multiplayer game, built around a multiplayer system, and they tried to make a decent 1 player story. Give it a break.

THE JACKEL

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ljkkjlcm9 on 2008-03-24 21:15 ]</font>

Its not just the game having a story, background etc.its a feeling you are part of the world. FFXI did this quite well, with cut scenes, lore and general ambience, a great soundtrack can add to this, weather effects as well.
Quests that tie into the main storyline, etc. Although the translations were not-so-great, Fairyland had a quest system that did that, I loved that game^-^

Ive played quite a few of MMOs where there was a storyline, cut scenes, etc. Im currently playing 2 where thats the fact - DOMO and Mabinogi. I guess I just have different standards - I like a bit more to my MMOs. Simply hack n slashing my way through a game, esp one I pay a monthly fee for, is not my cup of tea.

Bolvyn
Mar 25, 2008, 12:31 PM
O hope PSU can make some changes.

Seem like alote of people are not happy on how PSU turnd out. I would like to see some changes.

Zantra
Mar 25, 2008, 01:14 PM
I like the fact that PSO has everything on the disc unlocked from the get go, and that the offline mode, and online mode are 100% the same. Meaning that you can enjoy the exact same quests, monsters, armor, and weapons offline, as you can online (mags are the exception to the rule). This is especially true, if you have PSO Plus for the Gamecube.

Also, you can use the same characters...

Which removes the hassle of recreating you offline characters for online mode (like in PSU), and while I understand, that it helps with cheating (somehow), it seems like a chore to try and remember if I used face 4 or face 5, and if I used eyebrows 9 or eyebrows 15.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zantra on 2008-03-25 11:15 ]</font>

chibiLegolas
Mar 25, 2008, 03:14 PM
On 2008-03-20 09:13, Bolvyn wrote:
What would you do to make PSU better than it is know?
What do you miss about PSO?
Let me know whicth do you like better?

I miss stat grinders(?) (rare items that improve your stats permanently by a few points). You'll need to find the appropriate stat item (for atp/ata/HP/TP/etc.) as a rare item. And you have a max amount on how many you can eat on each character, which makes things fair for end game stats. I believe PSU really needs this brought back as well.

I HATE the fact that a female newman FT at level 100 has the same EXACT stats as the next girl. The only differences between us are our leveled PA's and equipment. I want the CHOICE to alter myself if I get lucky enough to find the appropriate items to do so.

RemiusTA
Mar 25, 2008, 03:19 PM
why the fuck do people still make these topics

How long can the BAWWWWing commence before people stop making these topics

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RemiusTA on 2008-03-25 13:21 ]</font>

Bolvyn
Mar 25, 2008, 04:14 PM
On 2008-03-25 13:19, RemiusTA wrote:

How long can the BAWWWWing commence before people stop making these topics

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RemiusTA on 2008-03-25 13:21 ]</font>

Sounds like some one can't let people say what they think about a game.
You need to chill out.

I jest what to know what people think about PSU and PSO. I felt that PSU is missing allot of stuff. Every one has there own thoughts on the games. I whated to know what thay where.

If you don't like it you go some where ells.

Weeaboolits
Mar 25, 2008, 06:06 PM
On 2008-03-25 13:19, RemiusTA wrote:

How long can the BAWWWWing commence before people stop making these topicsWhen will you stop whining about it? This is a video game forum, people talk about them here, the discussion isn't always positive, so get over it. If you hate these threads, don't click on them, that's what I do with threads I don't care about.

Soda
Mar 25, 2008, 06:42 PM
PSO Is Dead,Stop crying

-Tidus_415-
Mar 25, 2008, 07:33 PM
On 2008-03-25 16:42, Soda wrote:
PSO Is Dead,Stop crying

QFT

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: -Tidus_415- on 2008-03-25 17:33 ]</font>

Kamica
Mar 25, 2008, 08:55 PM
On 2008-03-25 17:33, -Tidus_415- wrote:

PSO Is Dead,Stop crying

QFT

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: -Tidus_415- on 2008-03-25 17:33 ]</font>

PSO is not dead
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y148/RyuuHasha/PSO/NewPicture1.jpg

panzer_unit
Mar 26, 2008, 12:04 PM
On 2008-03-20 15:38, super_luu wrote:
PSO > PSU.

lol @ PSO being "complete" with 4 awesome maps and challenging difficulties for characters all the way up to lv40.

Gama
Mar 26, 2008, 12:31 PM
the non oficial servers were allot more fun than sega´ and work beter in some ways...

AlMcFly
Mar 26, 2008, 02:26 PM
Lol, during the fuggup Sega had on Saturday (which really really really annoyed the hell out of me if you didn't notice in the "PSU Not Working" thread) I decided to download and start a new account on the schthack PSOBB server. OMG, on addictiveness alone this game is easily on par with current games. It's been about 3 years since I last played it but I am completely hooked again. Sega really messed up Saturday because now I am finding it hard to pull myself away to go back to PSU. Still haven't booted PSU since the weekend. I told a friend I would tonight though even though I kind of don't want to ;P.

RemiusTA
Mar 26, 2008, 03:32 PM
On 2008-03-25 18:55, Kamica wrote:
[quote]On 2008-03-25 17:33, -Tidus_415- wrote:

PSO is not dead
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y148/RyuuHasha/PSO/NewPicture1.jpg

HAAHHAHH 423 players

Thats the refuge spot for PSOBB? Now wonder Sega is unplugging the servers.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RemiusTA on 2008-03-26 13:33 ]</font>

AlexCraig
Mar 26, 2008, 03:33 PM
On 2008-03-25 17:33, -Tidus_415- wrote:

PSO Is Dead,Stop crying

QFT

11.) PSO is not dead, dispite what many people believe. As long as there are people playing the game, it won't die off. Granted, many of these people are playing on the private servers, but they are still playing the game. PSU may be the new thing, but there are still many of us who ONLY play PSO. So enough of that who "PSO is dead/dying/any combination of the two". Because it is wholly untrue.

http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=164303&forum=1&14

RemiusTA
Mar 26, 2008, 03:37 PM
i still play Duck Hunt, does that mean it isnt dead yet

AlexCraig
Mar 26, 2008, 03:54 PM
No need to be rude about it. I am stating a fact.

I like playing PSO. I don't like PSU. So I play PSO often. Thus PSO is not dead to me, nor any other person who still plays it. And there are a lot of us still. So regardless of what people think, PSO is not dead, because a lot of us still play it.

Hell, about an hour or two ago I was playing it. And it was not out of nostalgia, as some people think "is the only reason anyone plays PSO anymore". No. I played it because I wanted to; because I like it. I like everything about it.

Dark Emerald EXE
Mar 26, 2008, 04:00 PM
Im not gonna poll but i will say this
(im pretty sure someone already did)
I have no problem with PSU except for two things:

1.Mission too short
2. They took MAGs off

I mean i know they replaces MAgs tihe shadoogs and madoogs
but i missed how the MAGs on PSO reflected your stats....

If they added that to PSU i would like it much more