PDA

View Full Version : PSU: PSU's missions too easy????

Dark Emerald EXE
Mar 21, 2008, 12:46 PM
I mean compared to PSO.
I believe PSO was more challenging

Yesterday i want to my friends house to play PSO offline...i cant believe i found my memory card ^_^

anyway.....most of my characters where around 80-90
if i a remember correctly PSO was hard to lvl up unless u played all day.....

Anyway.... We did all the of the Episode 2 missions.....wow they are more complicated then missions in PSU. I actaully HAD to go back to the city a few times..........

I hope PSU brings out missions that are somewhat hard......and actaully take a good minute to do...(like 30-1hr) or more

amtalx
Mar 21, 2008, 12:56 PM
I think things in PSO were longer but not always harder. The hardest of the PSO missions are harder than the hardest PSU missions, but that was after many many updates.

garjian
Mar 21, 2008, 01:23 PM
regardless of PSO i think PSU is waaay to easy except for bruces S (sometimes), you dont even have to plan parties which i kinda hate, and theres almost no skill involved (ever noticed that if your a fortegunner you can brush your teeth and fix your toaster at the same time whilst on fire and with one hand tied behind your back and still play PSU effectively?) and definately no jobs except for maybe dedicated healers... and they should have some very very very stupidly rare items that are actually much better than other weapons (9*-10* not a big jump really is it?)

also the emphasis on spamming missions just get boring after a while.

maybe im thinking too much of WoW instances but i do prefer that style of mission myself...

i honestly think the game would be more fun if you had to do UBER hard runs to get your 10-11* weapons like rather than...
"do this 50 times and maybe you get a board"
it should be...
"if you somehow manage to complete this even with the absolute perfect party then you WILL get 1 of several of these lovely rare items"

although still keeping the...
"do this 50 times and you can have this common crappy lookin' buccaneer thing, then again you are only lvl50"
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: garjian on 2008-03-21 11:26 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: garjian on 2008-03-21 11:30 ]</font>

Zorafim
Mar 21, 2008, 02:22 PM
Remember, you were playing with a friend. One friend, as opposed to five. I think the difficulty in PSU is perfect for two or three people.

But yeah, PSO's difficulty level was superior to PSU's.

garjian
Mar 21, 2008, 02:24 PM
On 2008-03-21 12:22, Zorafim wrote:
Remember, you were playing with a friend. One friend, as opposed to five. I think the difficulty in PSU is perfect for two or three people.

But yeah, PSO's difficulty level was superior to PSU's.

tbh i agree sortof but i still hate the mission spam thing

Ithildin
Mar 21, 2008, 02:29 PM
30 mins to an hour??? I haven't even the time to play PSU for an hour a day on average.

Isabella
Mar 21, 2008, 02:31 PM
PSU's hardest mission=Who has the best equips.

Neith
Mar 21, 2008, 03:14 PM
Unfortunately, PSO's definition of a hard mission was 'make everything be able to one-hit kill'.

I imagine PSU will go down a similar route, but eh. Most of PSO wsn't difficult either, it just took a million times longer to level up/find rares.

Sekani
Mar 21, 2008, 03:29 PM
Everything else being equal, the combat mechanics make PSU a lot easier than its predecessor. You can move faster, you can avoid attacks more easily, you have a hundred different ways to disable enemies (including knocking them on their ass), and you can take more than two hits before dying.

SStrikerR
Mar 21, 2008, 03:51 PM
On 2008-03-21 13:14, UrikoBB3 wrote:
Unfortunately, PSO's definition of a hard mission was 'make everything be able to one-hit kill'.

I imagine PSU will go down a similar route, but eh. Most of PSO wsn't difficult either, it just took a million times longer to level up/find rares.

I found pso easy as hell to level up in, even at high levels , such as lv 180 to 181. In PSU, leveling is hard as hell to me.

Zorafim
Mar 21, 2008, 03:52 PM
On 2008-03-21 13:29, Sekani wrote:
you can avoid attacks more easily,

I'm not sure what version of PSU you're playing, but could you give me a copy? I'd love to play that game.

I'll assume you're talking about rangers here. Hunters can't dodge worth beans, unless they're using insanely quick PAs like Assault Crush or incredibly maneuverable PAs like Chieu (whatever that twin claw PA is called). I'm on the floor as often as I'm attacking, simply because I can't get out in time. In fact, it's often more efficient to just take the hit, or to try to stun the enemy with your attacks, than to try to dodge it.
In PSO, if you took advantage of enemy stun times, you could spend quite some time without getting hit. This was because every attack you did, without fail, caused a stun (as opposed to the sometimes stun sometimes not we get in PSU). You could also stop attacking at any time, due to quick attacking animations, and just walk the other way to avoid something due to sensable hit boxes. Attacks came with warning, so you knew what to expect when fighting certain enemies. PSU enemies simply attack when they feel like it, and have such a variety of attacks that you really have to study an enemy to learn what it's going to do.

Forces might be another story, if they're using a Har Quick. If not, they're in their casting position for quick a while. I'm sure if they put thought into when they cast, they can avoid most enemy hits. But, PSO forces didn't have much trouble with hits anyway. Their techs came out quick, and the stun it gave let you cast another one.

I believe it was easier to stay alive in PSO, since you had more options to do so. Each hit you took did hurt quite a bit though, so it evened out mechanics wise.

AlMcFly
Mar 21, 2008, 04:13 PM
On 2008-03-21 13:52, Zorafim wrote:

On 2008-03-21 13:29, Sekani wrote:
you can avoid attacks more easily,

I'm not sure what version of PSU you're playing, but could you give me a copy? I'd love to play that game.

I'll assume you're talking about rangers here. Hunters can't dodge worth beans, unless they're using insanely quick PAs like Assault Crush or incredibly maneuverable PAs like Chieu (whatever that twin claw PA is called). I'm on the floor as often as I'm attacking, simply because I can't get out in time. In fact, it's often more efficient to just take the hit, or to try to stun the enemy with your attacks, than to try to dodge it.
In PSO, if you took advantage of enemy stun times, you could spend quite some time without getting hit. This was because every attack you did, without fail, caused a stun (as opposed to the sometimes stun sometimes not we get in PSU). You could also stop attacking at any time, due to quick attacking animations, and just walk the other way to avoid something due to sensable hit boxes. Attacks came with warning, so you knew what to expect when fighting certain enemies. PSU enemies simply attack when they feel like it, and have such a variety of attacks that you really have to study an enemy to learn what it's going to do.

Forces might be another story, if they're using a Har Quick. If not, they're in their casting position for quick a while. I'm sure if they put thought into when they cast, they can avoid most enemy hits. But, PSO forces didn't have much trouble with hits anyway. Their techs came out quick, and the stun it gave let you cast another one.

I believe it was easier to stay alive in PSO, since you had more options to do so. Each hit you took did hurt quite a bit though, so it evened out mechanics wise.

I'm a level 82 Cast Fortefighter using level 40 Dus Majarra (spears). I've been spamming 100's of White Beast A and since 70 S runs over the last few weeks and feel fairly proficient now. THE only time I ever get hit is the part in Dus Majarra is up in the air hovering and gashing the hell out of an enemy. It is incredibly easy to dodge in this game as opposed to PSO. The exceptions here of course are enemy AOE spells but then again, they aren't meant to be dodged.

Edit: PS. I realize that there is no possible way that I have never been hit except for in that PA position. I'm just stating it generally. Of course I catch random hits every once in a while but the freedom of movement in PSU FAR FAR FAR surpasses PSO's range of character movement.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: McFlyVII on 2008-03-21 14:21 ]</font>

Zorafim
Mar 21, 2008, 04:30 PM
I'll take that, seeing how you're mobile with the first part and knocking enemies away with the last part. But you can't say that same thing when using other PAs. Try soloing S2 missions with real PAs, and compare that with soloing in PSO.

Sekani
Mar 21, 2008, 04:43 PM
On 2008-03-21 14:30, Zorafim wrote:
I'll take that, seeing how you're mobile with the first part and knocking enemies away with the last part. But you can't say that same thing when using other PAs. Try soloing S2 missions with real PAs, and compare that with soloing in PSO.

This tangent really isn't worth an in-depth discussion. Call it a difference of opinion and move on.

Zorafim
Mar 21, 2008, 04:46 PM
I tend to get carried away with things like this, sorry. Though I really could go with the use of a dodge button.

Weeaboolits
Mar 21, 2008, 05:29 PM
Dodging in PSU is much easier, you can usually squeeze off your whole combo and get out of there, while in PSO some weapons (namely claws), had you struggling to complete a combo, not to mention getting hit in PSO meant your combo whereas in PSU blocking or getting knocked down/back is the only thing that really jeopardizes it.

pikachief
Mar 21, 2008, 05:34 PM
I had 2 scape dolls, my character was lvl 70 and my FT lvl was 3.

I beat the White Beast on S by myself.

I say, as a person who plays as a techer least from anything that was too easy lol.

Powder Keg
Mar 22, 2008, 08:54 AM
It's easier right now because the highest level enemy you can face is on average lvl 120 or so. Most people are on pace with that level, so of course it's going to be easy.

We need Lvl150+ enemies.

rofl @ people saying dodging is easier in PSU.

I could go through PSO missions taking less than five hits. (Of course, not counting ultimate mines.) PSO enemies weren't dynamic at all, they always did the same thing and would attack in the same position...all you have to do is learn that and you'll hardly ever get hit. I remember some people in PSO actually questioned if I was cheating because I wouldn't take a hit almost the entire run.

PSU is much different. When enemies are about to attack, they more than likely will not flinch, and they seem to have a changing pattern (or just flat out random) of attacking.

What some people need to specify when they say "PSO" is if they're talking about GC/Xbox or Dreamcast. I think there's a big difference between the two especially in ultimate mode. One was playable, the other was not.

Arika
Mar 22, 2008, 09:23 AM
anyone that think it is too easy,
welcome to my event http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=172102&forum=8&start=0&30

rogue_robot
Mar 22, 2008, 09:39 AM
If you ask me, neither is all that difficult (though PSO was definitely more challenging, because of the massive jumps in enemy strength going from Normal -> Hard -> V. Hard, and especially V. Hard -> Ultimate or Ep1 -> Ep2).

The problem both face in terms of difficulty is that too much emphasis in terms of your character's statistics is placed on "level ups." Your stats rise so fast that over the course of a scant 10 experience levels, some enemies can go all the way from impossible to effortless - just a mere 10 levels, out of the 200 you'll progress though (PSU offline allows for 200, and I'm fairly sure that's where PSU online will end up, like PSO did).

If they balanced level progression such that "later game" enemies will still kill low-level parties rather effortlessly, but "early game" enemies can still take down a max level character surprisingly easily if said max level character gets careless, the game would definitely start feeling more difficult. That, and areas for max level characters have to feel like a kick in the teeth even for max level parties (of course, because some people are inevitably going to want to solo those areas, as this is a small-party game, the number of enemy spawns in a run would be scaled by the party size).

Oh, and for those who don't like that: one thing I think ST should have done was set up the Universes such that some are "Easy" and others are "Hard" (kind of like how many MMOs have "PvP" and "no PvP" servers). Enemies on the "Easy" Universes would have lower stats, weaker skills, and be more predictable than those in the same areas on the "Hard" Universes - though not in the same fashion as PSO, I mean such that the same run is intended for the same character level on both difficulty settings - the "Hard" Universes just require a more thoughtful and strategic player to survive in (of course, some kind of special distinctions, etc., bound to the character and not transferable to others, could be available for those who take on the "Hard" Universes).

EDIT: Oh, and as a person who only ever plays offline, I'd prefer that offline have access to a difficulty switch, as well...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rogue_robot on 2008-03-22 07:42 ]</font>

VetroDrago
Mar 22, 2008, 07:08 PM
The game is hard when I solo and the enemies interrupt everything I do. That's the only time I get mad in the game. It's obviously easy in big groups, which I wish it wasn't. Also, the game's easy if you use Dus Majarra, slicers, and Dambarta. If you play as human or newman, then it's sometimes harder than playing cast or beast.

Ahkaskar
Mar 23, 2008, 05:23 AM
I really wish people would stop complaining that PSU is too easy. Some missions are easy, some are hard. Some are insane, and usually involve Megid spam. Unfortunately, there are a lot of those such missions which is why I still consider this game plenty hard. Even not counting the Megid, playing at monster level in Awoken Serpent on A or higher is tough unless you're geared to take heavy fire damage.

I'd really hate to see this game get tougher when there's quite a lot out there that can drop me nearly as fast as in PSO. It's my opinion that anything "at-level" that can drop you in one shot is unreasonable.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ahkaskar on 2008-03-23 03:25 ]</font>

Katrina
Mar 23, 2008, 05:32 AM
They might be easy, but the game keeps me entertained and is just plain fun. That's all that really matters to me.

EMPYREAN
Mar 23, 2008, 06:03 AM
On 2008-03-22 06:54, Artea wrote:
It's easier right now because the highest level enemy you can face is on average lvl 120 or so. Most people are on pace with that level, so of course it's going to be easy.

We need Lvl150+ enemies.

WORD!

CAVAOUBIEN
Mar 23, 2008, 06:17 AM
Some missions in PSU are unquestionably challenging if you solo them, but none really are for a party of lvl 120 (and above) players who will simply cut through monsters as if they were butter. That's definitely a problem in a game where playing in teams is the point. Right now, I end up prefering really small teams (2-3 max) just to have a chance at hitting the monsters. Anything above will be a ridiculous PA spam with instant death to all monsters.

In PSO, I remember quests such as West Tower, and most ep2 quests for that matter, being really challenging in Ultimate mode, even with high levels. West Tower would take you over an hour to complete, and no missions in PSU can challenge that right now.

I'm really hoping for an Ultimate mode in PSU, or S3-ultimate if you prefer to call it that. Ideally, it should have reskins of all monsters and bosses just like PSO had when Ultimate was released. I suppose there is hope since Ultimate in PSO was not released from day one, but only came with V2...

CAVAOUBIEN

DavidNel
Mar 23, 2008, 06:53 AM
I'm sorry, but PSO was NEVER hard. But, I only have myself to blaim for that. I hacked the heck out of the earilier versons, lol. It was still fun though.

Why do you want the game to be so hard? If ST upped the dificulty, then others would just complain about the cost of scapes, lol.

I personally enjoy the easy runs. It's fun, and good for your self-esteem. Plus, now I can chat in a party without worrying about dieing every other second!

Jife_Jifremok
Mar 23, 2008, 07:03 AM
PSO was only "hard" when I started getting one-shotted by things, probably because I was grossly underleveled. Aside from that, PSO's shitty camera and auto-targeting system sometimes caused me to attack the wrong target (mainly chaos sorcerors) and the clunky movement made it nearly impossible to dodge Belra attacks on ultimate mode (which one-shotted me).

With PSU's improvements to combat, difficulty is based more around cheap status effects, megid and cheesy AOE attacks that are generally pointless to dodge.

EMPYREAN
Mar 23, 2008, 08:47 AM
On 2008-03-23 04:53, DavidNel wrote:

Why do you want the game to be so hard? If ST upped the dificulty, then others would just complain about the cost of scapes, lol.

becouse ther is no challege or fun in these easy mode runs that we have today. it takes a 6 persons lv120 party less than 10 sec to kill a normal lv 120 group of mobs, where is the fun or challange in that? dragon bosses r dead in less than a minute, and the other bosses takes 2-4 mins to kill whit a full party.

allso, the money drops and money rewards from missions have been increased so getting cash to scapes is not a problem.

(forgive my bad spelling, im bad at enghlish)

rogue_robot
Mar 23, 2008, 12:36 PM
Ahkaskar: Megid =/= hard. That's a random cheap shot, not a challenge of which you can actually influence the outcome (dodging doesn't count here because it applies to all attacks: in the case of Megid specifically, I'm talking about whether or not you die from the hit - using Resta and 'mates to keep Hp high gives helps you to survive burn or even freeze and sleep, but not Megid). For a game, or any level therein, to be difficult, it shouldn't require enemies to use cheap shots like Megid to have an even halfway-decent chance of killing a player. The enemies should be capable of killing players strictly on the virtue of normal abilities which are not based 100% purely on luck.

If enemies' stats weren't such a freaking joke compared to characters at the enemies' level ~90% of the time (and each individual stat actually meant something), this game would probably be a little less easy. Additionally, the attack damage formulas and the like are probably more complex than they need to be (especially with the percent modifiers) - difficult does not imply complex.

DreXxiN
Mar 23, 2008, 12:47 PM
There's a difference between hard and f*cking annoying people, and generally, this game is f*cking annoying.

Lol.

This game was MUCH more challenging in the beginning of vanilla PSU, It's mainly easy now, but it's not TOO easy. You cant' open public party's of 6 people, all above level 120 going through a pathetic White Beast run with level 110 monsters and call the game "too easy."

of course it's easy. It's less effort, and what do you get from less effort? Less rewards, Now you're splitting (90%) Crappy rares between 4-6 people and getting nothing.

Whereas if you work harder, you're going to get more rewards. Try doing Desert Goliath S2 or True Darkness S2 with a small party, better yet solo it. That might be a little more "challenging" for you.

Kylie
Mar 23, 2008, 12:49 PM
I can solo most missions without using even half of my trimates. Nuff said.

DreXxiN
Mar 23, 2008, 12:52 PM
I'm sure you can, but the people complaing about things being "too easy" because they can pwn white beast S with a mediocre 5-6 player party, probably could not on their own, because they aren't used to doing so, and they haven't put the effort into getting good enough stuff to do so, save really lucky bastards on random-finder rares http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif.

CAVAOUBIEN
Mar 23, 2008, 01:02 PM
On 2008-03-23 04:53, DavidNel wrote:
I'm sorry, but PSO was NEVER hard. But, I only have myself to blaim for that. I hacked the heck out of the earilier versons, lol. It was still fun though.

lol, of course if you hack PSO it's easy (actually any game is easy in hack mode)... but if you play legit, it is much more challenging than PSU is now. In PSO there are quests in Ultimate mode that you would't engage on your own, even at high level.

As I said, PSU still offers challenges for high level players in solo parties, but not for multi-player parties (wich is a shame). Hopefully this will change in a foreseeable future.

CAVAOUBIEN

Finalzone
Mar 23, 2008, 03:20 PM
The only difficulty I found on the PSO v1 and v2 is "Unsealed Doors" where you must protect Mole while battling De Lo Rei. My complain with the Xbox/Gamecube and PsO:BB is that quest is just walk in cake.

TecherRamen
Mar 23, 2008, 09:44 PM
On 2008-03-21 11:23, garjian wrote:

"if you somehow manage to complete this even with the absolute perfect party then you WILL get 1 of several of these lovely rare items"

although still keeping the...
"do this 50 times and you can have this common crappy lookin' buccaneer thing, then again you are only lvl50"
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: garjian on 2008-03-21 11:26 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: garjian on 2008-03-21 11:30 ]</font>

Ala Challenge mode. Bruce S is a step in the right direction atleast. Good rewards for good players. That actually care about what theyre doing.

Bring back challenge mode.

Telina
Mar 23, 2008, 09:50 PM
Are PSU's missions too easy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnQcA9zsLak&feature=related

-_- if anyone cannot see that, they ought to get their heads checked

EMPYREAN
Mar 24, 2008, 05:59 PM
he wouldent been able to do it that fast if the enemy LV was 150+ so yes this game still is too easy.

Deissa
Mar 24, 2008, 06:20 PM
play with your hands cut off then it'll be plenty hard