PDA

View Full Version : GC Broadband and Service Providers

Deathscythealpha
Jan 19, 2003, 10:32 AM
Well seeing as PSO Ep 1 and 2 is nearly here in the UK (finally) im trying to con my parents into getting a broadband connection. My dads ok with it hes just trying to decide which one.

Now i need to know how PSO and the service provider work, is it the same as with Ver 2? I want to know this cause with version 2 i found that i couldnt use my AOL account cause it wanted to downlaod stuff to a pc, and the DC want a pc. Does anyone know if AOL braodband will work with PSO on GC? Any help will be appreciated.

RedFox
Jan 19, 2003, 12:10 PM
i have the exact same problem... i hear AOL is still a no no...

im currently looking into one of the BT packages...

JOHNO_01
Jan 19, 2003, 12:12 PM
It works with BT & Freeserve.

RedFox
Jan 19, 2003, 12:22 PM
On 2003-01-19 09:12, JOHNO_01 wrote:
It works with BT & Freeserve.

cool http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif i was thinking about using freeserve as an ISP

BTW: 300th POST!!! YAYYY!!!

Ruby-chan
Jan 20, 2003, 02:56 AM
Whatever service you get, just make sure it doesn't demand that you use some special terminal to connect to it. IE: Juno, AOL, etc. and that it uses all of your default tools (which most providers do.) to connect. This doesn't mean that /no/ software can be provided. (Many providers like to put their logo into Internet Explorer, but when it comes down to it, you have to have the ability to have connected by just setting up your internet explorer (or netscape, or whatever's) settings.

CajunSamurai
Jan 20, 2003, 03:08 AM
Any broadband connection should work well, but it seems that most PPPoE connections tend to piss off PSO servers, resulting in frequent disconnections and headaches. I've heard that using a router can help/solve this problem, though.

And yes, any ISP like Juno, AOL, etc. that makes you use their software is a piece of crap and should generally be avoided.

Tavia has a GREAT guide located here (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=37273&forum=3&27) if you need to bypass any of that evil aforementioned software.

If possible though: Avoid PPPoE connections (many DSL companies use this, be sure to check with them), and avoid mandatory software.

DeathBunnyX
Jan 20, 2003, 08:45 AM
aol is working on a workaround for the xbox live service where you don't need the software to connect to aol. so hopefully they'll be able to do it for gc too

Wewt
Jan 20, 2003, 11:09 AM
Freeserve? No...

Freeserve is a piece of shit. Anything but them will be good.

Also, ADSL or Cable?