PDA

View Full Version : If Climatrol had nuts, I would punch it in them

panzer_unit
Mar 26, 2008, 01:14 PM
Playing PS2 without the genesis release's guidebook, it took a lot of combing the seafloor to find Climatrol... and then the upper floors took their own sweet time to figure out since I kept skipping the one and only teleporter that leads to Neifirst; "I'm sure I checked that one already" :[

Fortunately that's all done now, time to get Kain blowing up robots.

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 26, 2008, 02:12 PM
I usually like to spend a considerable amount of time in Climatrol when I get there, because the Blastoids are a remarkable opportunity to level. They get fairly easy to take out rather quickly, and since they reproduce (halving their remaining HP each time, mind you), you can build up massive amounts of EXP relatively quickly. I have a brother-in-law that's managed to identify the maximum EXP reward, in fact (65535-- the maximum value of a 16-bit integer; you must be careful not to exceed that value, as you'll have to start the count over).

cel
Apr 6, 2008, 06:28 AM
yeah this was my main gripe with PSII. Love the story as it was way ahead of its time and sadly, something of a rarity even in today's modern RPG.

The gripe? How everything looks all too similar inside a dungeon, and just when you think you are figuring out your way with SOMETHING that resembles an orientation landmark, no matter how small or insignificant like a ceiling pipe with a red blinkie that looks like a Z instead of an L ... BAM... random combat, and you are left with the nagging thought : which way was I going again?

It was really apparent with climatrol but got really, really bad in that dungeon you go to before you get to the spaceport. Sorry, but the name of it escapes me. And if you think climatrol is bad... you ain't seen nuthin' yet.

Helios
Apr 25, 2008, 10:55 AM
if you can handle uzo, climatrol should be easy by comparison

Gibdozer
May 15, 2008, 01:07 PM
the blue dam is nightmare, I resorted to hand-drawn maps. but its still nothing compared to fumbling your way through a first person dugeon in PS1

panzer_unit
Dec 16, 2008, 12:30 PM
Green Dam didn't actually have all that many routes to try out since so many teleporters lead to the same areas, process of elimination eventually won the day but gaaaah all the dungeons to get Nei weapons are more of the same upstairs/downstairs crap, only with even more levels and ridiculous hard fights too.

MXDRAGON I hate you. Minimum melee damage and breathe for 80 points screw you.

Tummai
Dec 17, 2008, 07:22 PM
I actually think the big, crazy dungeons are one of the things that make PS2 great. I have really lucid memories of most of them, something I don't have for dungeons in most games. Lots of stairs/teleporters, the ceiling overlay graphics help you get lost, and best of all you have to take a few steps before the screen starts scrolling, which means you have to commit to a direction before you can find out if it's really a dead-end or not. It really feels like you are exploring. PS2 is my favorite game.

panzer_unit
Dec 18, 2008, 10:06 AM
I've been restocking on healing, hitting the hospital, and heading out to some godforsaken tower outside Ruyon for days now exploring a bit at a time. Problem is that I've put the game down quite a few times along the way and taken a pass on treasures here and there out of pure frustration. There has to be a balance with actual progress too.

BTW I love Snow Crown. Deband makes a huge difference in monster damage, it saves a TON of healh to use it every fight, and getting it for free lets Amy's TP go a lot farther for healing.

CelestialBlade
Dec 18, 2008, 07:50 PM
I miss places where you actually had to draw out your own maps. I remember having to do that a lot with PS2 and even a few times in PS4, like the Air Castle and Garuberk Tower.

Tummai
Dec 19, 2008, 11:08 AM
I miss places where you actually had to draw out your own maps. I remember having to do that a lot with PS2 and even a few times in PS4, like the Air Castle and Garuberk Tower.

I drew maps for PS1 and I still got lost! I was just a kid though, and didn't have a good sense of direction in the 1st-person style mazes. I don't think I ever won PS1 when I played it originally. Only years later when I grew up and downloaded the ROM. When I was a kid, I could never find the place to feed the nuts to Myau.

Man, it's been so long since I've played these games. I'm feeling that strong nostalgia.