PDA

View Full Version : Phantasy Star Universe Offline

Kalas
Mar 26, 2008, 06:06 PM
Hello Phantasy Star Players. My name is Aaron in game I am known as Geno or Akira. Like Yourself I am a Phantasy Star Fan, and I love The Entire Phantasy Star OnlineUniverse Series. Like Many of you out there I enjoy to take a break and relax from the hussel and bussel of everyday online play and get away from the ignorance and immaturity of the online world. The catch of that is you lose alot of the game play value wich is sad to say but it makes you WANT to get back online because of the lack of content you get offline.

Phantasy Star Universe EP1
You play as Ethan Waber, the tipical An-Hero of any RPG. The story is great the Cinamatics are nnot Supurb but they are acceptable but the lack of content like Clothing and Weapon synthasis, Missions and areas to visit make it rather boring after 5 hours into the game. Than Extra mode just offers you a Shallow if not Super Waterd down version of Network Mode.

Phantasy Star Online Ambitions of The illuminus(PSU2)
This was a Huge Jump from PSU to PSUAOI. The Synthasis has been semi expanded alot more clothing and avatar customizations they even gave you the ability to autorun(I use it alot while eating a sammich)but at the cost of Story and playability
The new Missions are great but limited to S-rank and not S2 the weapon synthasis is ok but alot of errors are made with boards and matirials not ingame. I love playing offline but i would love to see more content offline so that I dont have to be online to listen to the constant badmouthing of alot of people.

Phantasy Star Online Episode I&II
This was the Moment Sega Opend their eyes and saw God
There was no bounds with this game. Any Item you could get online was able to be gotten offline(with a few acceptions)There was always somthing you could be doing from mag raising to finding the ultamate gear for your charecter to put a foot in the butt of noobs in pvp. I love this game(even with servers offline i dust the game off and play it on my Wii)
But it lacked story mode. Oh yea sure there was A story to it but it was half assed but the game was fun.

Phantasy Star Universe future release
IfWhen Sega has a future release of this title they need to capitalize on the subjects i have touched on wich are

Item Variaty
Charecter customization
Story/Offline mode playability
Mission/Quest Variaty

I am Writing a Game pitch to sega concerning these matters with PSU. I know It might not get me anywhere but being a Game Art & Design major I want to take a crack at this and I need some support going so if you have any suggestions that you want to throw in than feel free to help out

Please do not start flaming, make any bad remarks are comments im here for support not a flame war. Thanks in Advance

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kalas on 2008-03-26 16:08 ]</font>

Follisimo
Mar 26, 2008, 06:13 PM
They aren't gonna care much for offline stuff since it will be keeping them from making money off people who rather just play offline than online. I'm sure alot of PC people didn't even buy the damn game and went about it different ways. Companies are now realizing they can make more money offering online things that offline games won't have. And as most know games are turning to the methods of buying ingame items with real life money. To the true gamers that play the games they hate that stuff, but from a company standpoint they know people will pay the money. Just look how successful Xbox Live is.

Kalas
Mar 26, 2008, 06:52 PM
That is True But some game companies have a tendency to follow ethics to an extent. look how well SquareEnix, Namco, Sega, and Nintendo are doing. Not all the games These companies make are Online Especialy Sega. They Follow a Formula that Never Changes, More so if They didnt care about Offline Mode than Why make it in the first place? Look at The "Arti Diga" incedent on PSU AoI offline mode. alot of people are pretty upset that they cant get it and when i say alot i mean ALOT there are threads all over the net that point to this particular problem. and thats all of the people that has paid 39.99 to buy the game and play it offline. if they didnt care about. If Sega Cares about money they will listen to what the people want. this will make people buy the game in the future as well. 49.99x450.000 thats over 22million dollars and thats off of just the purchase of the game thats not to include how many accounts that will be made upon purchase. This is all to include some overhaul on story mode and not just a direct port from the online story mission

Follisimo
Mar 26, 2008, 08:37 PM
Sega is NOT a great company. Hell they got bought awhile ago. They are now Sega Sammy. Offline mode is to give you a taste of what online mode can offer and more. It's like a teaser to you get online. As for the price you pay to get the game. Look at WoW where you have to pay for the game and to play online. If you played PSO back in the day people enjoyed the online factor of the game. Maybe Sega messed up naming the game where it should have been PSUO. It's too late for PSU anyways. For the US version it's a dying game that will not see any resurrection at all. They don't advertise for the game, most magazines that did reviews on the game trashed it. There is no trial version for the PC/PS2 version to even try and lure people to play.

Face it though. Sega is a dying company who clings onto Sonic to make their money. Once PhantasyStar Online was made everyone excepts the other Phantasy Stars to be online unless they just turn based RPG. Sega doesn't care about the US people anyway.

Kalas
Mar 28, 2008, 06:48 PM
You Know you may be right and you may be wrong. Sega is not a dying company but a company in the midst of rebirthing itself to a higher point. With its combination with Sammy they still have a chance to get back in the run and PSU is one of the games that can help.

rogue_robot
Mar 28, 2008, 08:29 PM
On 2008-03-26 16:13, Follisimo wrote:
They aren't gonna care much for offline stuff since it will be keeping them from making money off people who rather just play offline than online.

Many of those people (like myself) choose to play offline only anyway (or in more extreme cases, not buy the game at all - creating a loss for SEGA, not a gain). You can't tell people what is and is not entertaining: try, and you'll only get yourself burned. If someone doesn't like online portions of games, shifting all the good content to online only isn't going to change their dislike for online games, it's only going to make them hate your game. Most of these companies need to wake up and smell the manure they're surrounding themselves in - in the entertainment business, you make money by pleasing the customer, not pissing them off.

It would probably be in their better interests to treat the Phantasy Star franchise as a strict offline franchise, as it was from the beginning, which just so happens to have recently added an online multiplayer mode (and make said online multiplayer mode free and hosted by player's systems through system link, instead of trying to be a BS MMO, or at least lower the monthly rate on the servers a bit). Of course, as PSU proves again and again, their plans are the exact opposite, and in an epic fail kind of way...

At the very least, they could have had the offline client actually respond to the online client patches it downloads anyway (or just have used the same client for both online and offline, and simply put the character data division directly into the client instead of making an entire extra client just to separate character data).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rogue_robot on 2008-03-28 18:30 ]</font>

lvyhd
Mar 28, 2008, 08:37 PM
it would be nice to have offline multiplayer like pso give your friends something to do when they come over they won't just watch and tell you that it looks boring cuz they haven't played it. I and it might as well be fun too if they added pvp online and off so you can show your friends who's boss lol

zandra117
Mar 29, 2008, 06:15 AM
PSO's story was far from half assed. It just wasnt tossed in your face all the time, you had to talk to NPCs just like an old school RPG. Did you even really play offline?

Hayaiyoru
Mar 29, 2008, 10:54 AM
not sure the legitimacy of this, but i heard that alot of players left the game... be it on pc, ps2, or even xbox... now the somewhat suprising part is that, as i came to find out, sega themselves sells meseta for cash to make up for the difference of the lost or leaving players... anyone know if this is true, or any related information...?

Nuclearranger
Mar 29, 2008, 11:05 AM
On 2008-03-29 08:54, Hayaiyoru wrote:
not sure the legitimacy of this, but i heard that alot of players left the game... be it on pc, ps2, or even xbox... now the somewhat suprising part is that, as i came to find out, sega themselves sells meseta for cash to make up for the difference of the lost or leaving players... anyone know if this is true, or any related information...?

This is a lie.

Don't go starting rumors.

ThEoRy
Mar 29, 2008, 11:12 AM
Wait a minute wait a minute, hold the phone here. This game has an "offline" mode?

Nuclearranger
Mar 29, 2008, 11:18 AM
On 2008-03-29 09:12, ThEoRy wrote:
Wait a minute wait a minute, hold the phone here. This game has an "offline" mode?

Oddly enough yes when you start the game its ABOVE online mode lmao....

Also to whoever said PSO offline/online bla bla

You do relise they will NEVER do that again in some regards it was huge mistake.

Infact they even removed it for BB