PDA

View Full Version : Which Race makes the best Guntecher?

ZeronechaosX
Mar 27, 2008, 05:01 AM
I just wanna know which of my characters would make the best guntecher and Why? I don't have a human.

Syl
Mar 27, 2008, 05:25 AM
Define best. Best balance of stats? Best for DPS? Best for support?

Dragwind
Mar 27, 2008, 05:34 AM
Yeah, its really hard to say what's "best" in this game since it gives you so many choices. I wouldn't say there's a "best", but rather differentiated stats for each race that may allow you to play the class a bit different.

Starrz
Mar 27, 2008, 05:34 AM
Beast, IMO.

Guntechers need all the ATP they can get.

EMPYREAN
Mar 27, 2008, 05:39 AM
depends on how u will use your GT. if u plan on using guns alot and buffs as the only techs go for Cast. but i u want to use a 50/50 mix of offensive techs and guns then maybe a human would be a good choise IMO.

chaoskila
Mar 27, 2008, 06:15 AM
newman
nuff said

amtalx
Mar 27, 2008, 07:13 AM
If you want a tech emphasis, Newman. If you want a ranged emphasis, Cast. If you want balance, Human. Due to the pending increase in tech abilities, I would shy away from Cast. Those S rank wands and Lvl 30 Attack techs will do you no good as a Cast.

DEM_CIG
Mar 27, 2008, 08:10 AM
Cast, only thing u need wands 4 is healing, bows FTW!!!

JarinKail
Mar 27, 2008, 08:38 AM
Cast.

chu-chu-chu
Mar 27, 2008, 08:54 AM
On 2008-03-27 05:13, amtalx wrote:
If you want a tech emphasis, Newman. If you want a ranged emphasis, Cast. If you want balance, Human. Due to the pending increase in tech abilities, I would shy away from Cast. Those S rank wands and Lvl 30 Attack techs will do you no good as a Cast.

No reason to shy away from cast. Nice thing about hybrid classes is that you can sort of mold them to how you want them to be. If you want to do support and damage, cast is an excellent choice for GT. If you like attack techs, it isn't.

It's a flexible class.

amtalx
Mar 27, 2008, 09:01 AM
I just mean that you shouldn't ignore the Lvl 30 Attack techs. GT melee is garbage, so what are you going to do if an enemy is bullet resistant? I don't think Cast is a bad idea, but trying to make up for GTs lacking attack power by going Cast seems a little silly considering the techer side of GTs is going to be very strong.

chu-chu-chu
Mar 27, 2008, 09:38 AM
It's not silly. It's a gameplay trade-off. The playstyle a player prefers > numbers.

If I enjoy doing support, like guns, and don't care about attack techs, then it is not silly to be a cast guntecher - regardless of the attack techs a guntecher has available. And you get an SUV.

That you call this a compensatory move attributes to the player an unnecessary motivation.

ps: i'd apply a status effect.

Kaloa
Mar 27, 2008, 09:46 AM
I prefer cast, simply because they look really sexy holding a crossbow and a wand. <3

I don't like the attack tech aspect of the GT, so I don't use it. I chose the GT for support + mobility. If I wanted to stand there firing off foie, I'd log off my GT and onto my FT who does it much better.

Dirkster111
Mar 27, 2008, 10:04 AM
I enjoy my Newman GT, I've just gotten into the attack tech part of GT, but I think it's pretty to throw a tech out there and then go blazing in with an xbow. But really, it's all about personal preference. Stats should take back seat to play style, preference, and most importantly FUN. In the end it's just a game, and games are supposed to be fun. So, if you're having fun then everything else is just icing on the cake.

Akaimizu
Mar 27, 2008, 10:11 AM
Got a point. Min/Maxing a Guntecher is generally trying to be another class. It's still cool to go for a nice balance to make the most of yourself. But even if you decided to lean one way and find some maximum damage output; you're not going to impress anybody as a GT. Might as throw a build that's fun, and still supports the party in some fashion.

I do agree, that I'm generally using Attack techs as a distant 3rd option; but then again, ST has been keen for purposely making attack techs suck on GTs for so long, it's just wierd to see them perform a 180 on them.

Everybody isn't going to be at their best all of the time, and GTs are good enough to pick up on that and fill the current role that is lacking. Any role that isn't straight fighter-style DPS, that is. You just have to avoid heavy elitists, as a GT. They won't appreciate your value.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2008-03-27 08:14 ]</font>

GreenArcher
Mar 27, 2008, 10:15 AM
I would say newman. With the rebalence coming very soon, Guntechers will have a higher TP mod than wartechers, and have level 30 attack spells. A newman guntecher will be able to support, spread SE with crossbows/rifles/bows, and nuke to some extent

amtalx
Mar 27, 2008, 10:25 AM
On 2008-03-27 08:11, Akaimizu wrote:
I do agree, that I'm generally using Attack techs as a distant 3rd option; but then again, ST has been keen for purposely making attack techs suck on GTs for so long, it's just wierd to see them perform a 180 on them.

I'm with you on that. GTs were originally gunners with some really weak techs on the side that might help in a pinch (lvl10buffswut?). Now they are actually Guntechers. With both sides strongly represented, its tough to see the advantage of leaving attach techs in the dust.

In my previous post, I leaned away from Cast because the OP wants the best choice. To me the best, choice is whatever takes advantages of GT's toolset the best.

Akaimizu
Mar 27, 2008, 10:32 AM
I'm still waiting to see how much TP the GTs get. That'll also make a difference. It may still be balanced out that how your stats tip the scales, you would do just as fine by going one way or the other. Newmans and Humans take advantage, so to speak, only if the TP increase brings them more towards Acrotecher levels. But if they're subtle enough with the increase, those with more beef to the gun part may not miss much in being low with attack techs.

Weeaboolits
Mar 27, 2008, 10:47 AM
I think beast is fun for it, tech and gun until your nano charges, then go melee for a bit. Good times. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

chu-chu-chu
Mar 27, 2008, 11:36 AM
Having fun is more important than impressing people.

pikachief
Mar 27, 2008, 12:03 PM
Because of the Techs their getting soon either a human or a cast would be best.

Para
Mar 27, 2008, 12:15 PM
I'll weigh on this one...

Cast for dps for guns.
- Best ATA helps take advantage of Crossbows the best.
- Good ATP makes arguably the best gunner for DPS on guns like crossbow and twin handguns.
- Good HP and DFP that allows you to get close and personal.
- A ranged SUV will help you much as well.

Newman for all around.
- Takes good advantage of techs that can be used against bullet resistant monsters which helps make up for the lack of ATP
- 2nd best ATA
- Takes best advantage of Shadoog / Wand combo in the upcoming update
- Good support and high MST to resist long range techs hits as well as highest EVP to block ranged attacks.
- Giresta

fyi ATA is important because of Crossbows ATA elemental PA modifier being capped at 60%.

ATP is important to an extent since a lot of damage is usually dealt via status effects as well.

Bolvyn
Mar 27, 2008, 12:21 PM
I would have to say a Cast or a Human.

Akaimizu
Mar 27, 2008, 12:24 PM
Sounds about right. Though it may come to pass that the Cast, having both better defense and ATP might be more likely to favor things like the rifle over the twins as their ATP continues to become more distinct over the human/newman alternatives. Better defense and HP usually means they're more likely to work with weapons that give up some mobility for distance with the upcoming powerful+knockdown shots of the rifles.

Humans are at their offensive best if they can combine their tech with their attack power. A kind of best of both worlds. This usually involves a Shadoog in one hand and a melee weapon in the other. However, humans may lose a little in this regard since GTs only have sabers and daggers. Thus you see the advantage a little more in classes like the Acros.

Still, I can't say that's a bad way to go, but you have to watch yourself, on the way up it's very dangerous for humans to put themselves in a position to easily get hit in a crowded room of mobs, like using melee Arts. Now that we have our levels up to 130, the human GT just might be able to cross the 2300 HP line, for the first time. But in the lower levels, you'll feel like a fortetecher in HP, a fortetecher in DFP, and a ForteFighter in MST.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2008-03-27 10:26 ]</font>

DarkEliteRico
Mar 27, 2008, 01:05 PM
Casts, decent damage with or without buffs....SUV and a few seconds for your team to regroup while you launch and you're good. All i use my wands for is buffs/heals i let my bows/twins do the talking

Kylie
Mar 27, 2008, 01:06 PM
Damn. I was planning on voting human, but you had to make it a harder decision... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif Anyway, I went with newman because newmans don't seem as weak at range as CASTs are at spells. But I'm not an expert on GT for an race, so take that lightly.

Akaimizu
Mar 27, 2008, 01:16 PM
Human isn't bad. It's just that you kind of want to put as much equal footing to Gunwork as well as Tech. This usually means carrying a truckload of stuff on your character, and mixing things up. If Newman didn't have such a high advantage over the next best TP user, this dillemma wouldn't be quite the same. But remember, you did come to the class for the guns as well, otherwise you'd probably stick with Fortetecher. At higher levels, the racial ATA differences begin to lose meaning.

Not to mention, if playing one of the lower attack-resilient races, you'll always make considerations for mobility. The class has relatively low DFP and MST for a reason. That's a big thing you lose when casting attack techs, even with Har/Quick.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2008-03-27 11:19 ]</font>

DreXxiN
Mar 27, 2008, 01:36 PM
Beast, maybe human after the fix

Danny_Dark
Mar 27, 2008, 01:58 PM
Well...I have a BEAST Guntecher...

panzer_unit
Mar 27, 2008, 02:13 PM
Even as a Cast with level 20 techs, I was doing enough damage casting that it was worthwhile compared to shooting for half damage.

Anduril
Mar 27, 2008, 02:15 PM
I've done CAST and Newman Guntecher and I would have to say that I prefer to go Newman. I just felt with a CAST I wasn't living up to the potential of the class, while I was really brining my all with all kinds of range on my Newman.

unicorn
Mar 27, 2008, 07:45 PM
Beast or Newman.

Beast = Power
Newman = Range and Tech

I had a Beast GT, and it pwned. I might make my new beast a GT as well (since I erased my old one).

The_Brimada
Mar 27, 2008, 10:10 PM
I've done all four as GT and personally I felt that cast was the best, with beast being a close second. Humans weren't bad either, but newman's lack of atp made me frown. Yes I know most GT damage is through SE anyway but still I felt I was worse off as newman. However, now that they're getting yet another tp increase and level 30 attack techs I can see all four races on equal grounds. If you can't decide which one to pick of the three races you do have assign cast, beast, and newman to dice and roll.
EX: like Cast = 1; Beast = 2; Newman =3; Cast =4; Beast = 5; Newman = 6

Kinda sad thats how I make decisions on which element to make a new srank weapon >_>
(sorry for getting a bit off topic there)