PDA

View Full Version : Haven't played since the first month...what changed?

Zipzo
Apr 3, 2008, 01:49 PM
So I'm desperate searching for a reason to come back to my beloved PSO series. Was a huge PSO player and played PSU heavily when it came out but quit with everyone else due to lack of content..you were all there. Anyways to those of you that stuck it out...how is it now? I know the expansion came out? Did it really change the face of the game as I've been told? I've read up on a lot of the new stuff from AoI and it sounds like the game is actually a full..game now. Any care to share how their experiences have jumped since the expansion?

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 3, 2008, 01:55 PM
It is infinitely better than during the initial state.

However, if you complained about lack of content back in the day, it'll only be a matter of time before you get tired of all the current stuff, so PSU may not be for you.

Syanaide
Apr 3, 2008, 01:58 PM
There's a lot more to do now, but the game still suffers from single mission syndrome. Theres one mission that everyone spams for the best exp, and everything else is neglected. If you have some friends though, you'll be very happy for your first month experiencing the tons of new missions that have come out.

I have heard lots of woes about PS2/PC current population, so if you are still very low level and on that platform I'm not sure if it would be worth your time, since you'll have to exp spam the same mission over and over until you catch up with their playerbase in order to do new stuff.

Zipzo
Apr 3, 2008, 01:59 PM
Well in any MMORPG that isn't releasing something new every day (every mmo), you will inevitably grow weary of certain repetitive content. It just depends on how much said content hooks you I'd think. I've been playing WoW more so and the raids never change. They are the same every single time. It just depends on the experience I would think. And how fun it is to repeat the aforementioned content.

Edit - I'm referring to playing the Xbox 360 version. I played the PS2 one at launch and I hated the irremovable lag from 5 player groups. I don't like being limited by the specs of my PC either so the 360 version is what I'm looking at. If any. Plus, voice chat.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Drayk on 2008-04-03 12:01 ]</font>

PALRAPPYS
Apr 3, 2008, 02:02 PM
On 2008-04-03 11:59, Drayk wrote:
Well in any MMORPG that isn't releasing something new every day (every mmo), you will inevitably grow weary of certain repetitive content. It just depends on how much said content hooks you I'd think. I've been playing WoW more so and the raids never change. They are the same every single time. It just depends on the experience I would think. And how fun it is to repeat the aforementioned content.

Edit - I'm referring to playing the Xbox 360 version. I played the PS2 one at launch and I hated the irremovable lag from 5 player groups. I don't like being limited by the specs of my PC either so the 360 version is what I'm looking at. If any. Plus, voice chat.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Drayk on 2008-04-03 12:01 ]</font>

What do you think about running through a white, water temple going through the same 3/4 blocks then fighting some "uber" dragon who dies in less than a minute?

Basically... that's how it goes. Why I am staying away from White Beast, and other missions which repeat that much.

Syanaide
Apr 3, 2008, 02:07 PM
Well, we are talking about clearing the same map over and over every 12-15 minutes here, for about 150+ hrs of game time in order to be into your hundredth levels. But I do understand about how you feel about how fun the experience is, I have fun almost every time because I like to pretend I'm playing Gauntlet.

Despite that, it's still a good time to get into the game. Maximum Attack G next month will bring back the classic PSO stages (Forest, Mines, Caves, Ruins) for an amount of time and provide a lot of good rewards. Getting back into the game about now and leveling in preparation for the event would be a good thing, plus you're garunteed to at least meet SOME contacts during the event.

On Xbox you should be good though. It's not hard to meet up with people, and get them to go to different places even at low levels. There are some awful lag issues though in certain maps on Xbox (particular any mission with exploding robots) that can randomly make the game unplayable.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Syanaide on 2008-04-03 12:08 ]</font>

Zipzo
Apr 3, 2008, 02:07 PM
Ah...I can't tell if you guys are joking, or if you're brutally honest and hate the game you play XD

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Drayk on 2008-04-03 12:08 ]</font>

amtalx
Apr 3, 2008, 02:09 PM
If you've been gone since the first month...you've got a LOT of catching up to do, haha. I think now is better time to come back than ever. A new event is coming that will allow you to easily level your characters, acquire top items, and work on skills that were previously a pain to level. Plus the new content brings back some of the PSO levels we all ran 982734 times. I'd say the lack of content only affects the players that have been around for a while, or play a lot. If you plan on dropping in for an hour or two, then moving on to somethign else, the amount of content should be fine.

Syanaide
Apr 3, 2008, 02:09 PM
On 2008-04-03 12:07, Drayk wrote:
Ah...I can't tell if you guys are either being brutally honest or just trying to keep me out http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Just being honest.. it is a niche game after all. It gets enough bashing as it is, so I sometimes tend to scare off the weary. >.>

panzer_unit
Apr 3, 2008, 02:24 PM
PSU must be an awesome game if hundreds of people can complain about it every day on PSOW without actually quitting. Something's keeping them from playing something else.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 3, 2008, 02:26 PM
On 2008-04-03 12:24, panzer_unit wrote:
PSU must be an awesome game if hundreds of people can complain about it every day on PSOW without actually quitting. Something's keeping them from playing something else.

Nah, for most of them it's moreso a case of ITS LIKE I AM HOOKED.

Zipzo
Apr 3, 2008, 02:33 PM
So...I know that the Xbox version of AoI is available for download via the marketplace. Do I need the original PSU 360 game in order to make it work at all? Or can I just purchase the AoI download and that has everything with it? I know the PS2/PC users had to purchase a brand new box for their expansion. Any answers, again, are greatly appreciated http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Anduril
Apr 3, 2008, 02:34 PM
On 2008-04-03 12:33, Drayk wrote:
So...I know that the Xbox version of AoI is available for download via the marketplace. Do I need the original PSU 360 game in order to make it work at all? Or can I just purchase the AoI download and that has everything with it? I know the PS2/PC users had to purchase a brand new box for their expansion. Any answers, again, are greatly appreciated http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

You need the v.1 disc to play the expansion on 360.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Anduril on 2008-04-03 12:34 ]</font>

ljkkjlcm9
Apr 3, 2008, 02:55 PM
On 2008-04-03 12:24, panzer_unit wrote:

Actually, I bet half the people who post here, such as myself, don't really play anymore. I haven't renewed my subscription since november, except for a one month stint that I got free courtesy of Sega team lol

I still stay updated with the info to see if it's worth coming back, but nothing has grabbed me yet.

THE JACKEL

panzer_unit
Apr 3, 2008, 03:46 PM
On 2008-04-03 12:55, ljkkjlcm9 wrote:
Actually, I bet half the people who post here, such as myself, don't really play anymore.

Lol if you're going to torture yourself reading the boards you might as well play on occasion and get the enjoyable part of the PSU experience.

Zorafim
Apr 3, 2008, 03:53 PM
The game has really improved since the first month, but it's still the same at its core. I myself can't stand to play the original missions, since I find the new missions to have more thought put in to them. Classes are ballanced fairly well now, except that fortefighters can destroy everything without much thought.

Really, there was no content at all at the first month. You were basically playing the beta. If you liked the game at its core, but wanted to see more done to it, then you may enjoy what you'll find. If you disliked its core, then no amount of makeup will help, and you should probably move on to something else.

To help your decision, I'd suggest "obtaining" the PC version and playing offline for a while. The online version is similar, and the offline version doesn't suck as much as v1 did.

By the way, PSU has nothing to do with the PSO series. The Phantasy Star series, maybe, but considering that it has just about none of the creators of the original games, even that much is sceptical. If you're going to compare it to anything before it, you're going to be dissapointed.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zorafim on 2008-04-03 13:54 ]</font>

Dragwind
Apr 3, 2008, 04:00 PM
From the initial launch of PSU compared to today?

Picture this, PSU was only in alpha form back then. Now its more of a developed game. You pretty much have to discover and learn everything again imo.

BahnKnakyu
Apr 3, 2008, 11:50 PM
AotI PSU >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PSU v1 when it was first launched.

I would add more but I think you get my point. The game is far more complete and playable. There's more stuff to do, more missions to play, and the modified battle system has tipped the scales. Comparing AotI as of now to the very first day of PSU is like comparing night and day.

I suggest trying it out on a friend's character for a bit. If you don't like it, then at least you didn't waste your money.

SStrikerR
Apr 4, 2008, 08:25 PM
On 2008-04-03 12:07, Syanaide wrote:
Well, we are talking about clearing the same map over and over every 12-15 minutes here, for about 150+ hrs of game time in order to be into your hundredth levels. But I do understand about how you feel about how fun the experience is, I have fun almost every time because I like to pretend I'm playing Gauntlet.

Despite that, it's still a good time to get into the game. Maximum Attack G next month will bring back the classic PSO stages (Forest, Mines, Caves, Ruins) for an amount of time and provide a lot of good rewards. Getting back into the game about now and leveling in preparation for the event would be a good thing, plus you're garunteed to at least meet SOME contacts during the event.

On Xbox you should be good though. It's not hard to meet up with people, and get them to go to different places even at low levels. There are some awful lag issues though in certain maps on Xbox (particular any mission with exploding robots) that can randomly make the game unplayable.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Syanaide on 2008-04-03 12:08 ]</font>
Funny, I've hit 600 hours on my main and i'm level 90. (about 100 are afk hours though, but still.)

zeroguy518
Apr 5, 2008, 09:04 PM
Everything.

Legendria
Apr 5, 2008, 09:11 PM
It's actually playable now.