PDA

View Full Version : WHY can't we have music like this?

Gunslinger-08
Apr 11, 2008, 09:52 AM
I'm sitting here in between classes, refusing to study, and the question came to my head: Why don't we have music like in PSO? I know this question has come up before, but I can't help but wonder at the specific reason. Did we get a new composer? I would hope that the man who made this http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ09LPJEEmk isn't the one who was in charge of PSU's soundtrack. It's just a shame.

SabZero
Apr 11, 2008, 12:45 PM
Personally, I like PSU's music very much, with one or two exceptions (looking at you, "HIVE").

Weeaboolits
Apr 11, 2008, 01:03 PM
PSU's music is okay, but it's fairly underwhelming after what we were given in PSO.

Specifically: Boss battles, you can't even HEAR the boss music half the time, usually bosses are where they can let the BGM shine, not drown it out with roars and stomps.

Fakis' second form does have a nice BGM, though.

BlaizeYES
Apr 11, 2008, 04:37 PM
On 2008-04-11 07:52, Gunslinger-08 wrote:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ09LPJEEmk

i love it. thats what happens when producers are just humming some random tune they created in their head and just keep saying "yea lets put that into the song too" to the point where there is 20 different melodies, ideas, and beats that dont fit. perfect. no organization whatsoever

Inazuma
Apr 11, 2008, 05:04 PM
On 2008-04-11 11:03, Ronin_Cooper wrote:
PSU's music is okay, but it's fairly underwhelming after what we were given in PSO.

Specifically: Boss battles, you can't even HEAR the boss music half the time, usually bosses are where they can let the BGM shine, not drown it out with roars and stomps.

Fakis' second form does have a nice BGM, though.

in general, psu's sound effects are way louder than the bgm. my audio settings are usually 10 for bgm and 4 for sound effects.

Gunslinger-08
Apr 11, 2008, 05:51 PM
I'm not ripping on all of PSU's music, it's just that so much of the music is forgettable, that I find it disappointing.

Nai_Calus
Apr 11, 2008, 07:38 PM
IT'S CALLED STARSHIP EARRRRRRRTH.

I either hated or failed to notice every single piece of music in Ep1. When I got online with PSU I turned it off immediately.

Also jesus the SE are too fucking loud. I had them at 2, the lowest you can go without turning them off, and they were still too damned loud over winamp.

Sord
Apr 11, 2008, 08:32 PM
i just left the SE off all together, they sucked and they were to loud. As such, I mostly just heard music, but even then, none of it was really noticeable. I never stopped to listen just for the sake of it. On the flipside, the majority of it never got on my nerves, it was just sort of there. Trick track or whatever was cool though, granted, that was stolen from PSO.

Sinue_v2
Apr 12, 2008, 01:34 PM
The problem with PSU's music isn't that it's bad (overall, there are some pretty horrible songs), it's just... bland. It's part of the same phenomena that permeates everything in the game - from gameplay, to graphics, to voice acting. It simply lacks direction and focus. I get the sense that there was no clear vision of what Sonic Team wanted to do and where to go with the game. So what we have is a "vauge idea" of what they wanted in the next Phantasy Star made into a final product. And while PSU arguably isn't bad on the whole per sey, it's simply bland and vastly uninspired. Which also doesn't help that it's budget is most likely shoestring, meaning we don't even get new blandness - but recycled and reskinned mediocrity.

panzer_unit
Apr 14, 2008, 09:13 AM
A week ago I would have totally agreed and pointed out the AMF HQ background music as the only listenable stuff in the game, but I switched from listening to PSU over my built-in TV speakers to a pair of hi-fi headphones and it went from crap to awesome on most tracks just like that... my room, holtes, dagora, seabed relics, amf... even songs where I hate the way the melody go have my respect in terms of musical quality. Seriously there's like 2 or 3 times as much going on in any song as I was hearing before and it all goes together really well.

Or because people are so much more comfortable bitching about absolutely everything, you could say PSU music's good except it sounds like crap if you don't have a serious listening environment set up.

F-Gattaca
Apr 14, 2008, 09:16 AM
Nah, you know what's a crying shame?

That the PSU song "The Last Story" isn't used more often.

That was the music that played in the FMV where Ethan fought Magashi at the end of PSU Episode 1's story mode ... the one that sounds like the IDOLA series of songs.

It was used ... for one cutscene.

While the HIVE theme gets facetime in any mission that so much has SEED in it.

WHY?!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: F-Gattaca on 2008-04-14 07:17 ]</font>

Sol_B4dguy
Apr 14, 2008, 10:41 AM
HIVE should just be used for that, the HIVE. Anything else just makes it annoying, and it's part of the reason I don't run Electronic Brain.

Mwabwetumba
Apr 16, 2008, 05:14 PM
In my opinion, Dulk Fakis's first form has a truly awesome theme. I've never heard a video game track that screams "Violence!" like that one. With a nice sprinkling of evil thrown into it as well.

The sad part is that Fakis himself just sits stationary atop his slope, throwing his lame attacks at you. He is NOT worthy of his own theme, in my opinion. To match the awesomeness, we'd need a hyper-active Olga Flow thundering across a HIVE-themed arena in pursuit of the players, throwing out his attacks in synch with the music. I can only dream!

Really, "The Hunt" pretty much overpower all tunes from PSO put together for me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mwabwetumba on 2008-04-16 15:15 ]</font>

Reipard
Apr 16, 2008, 07:03 PM
I like a select few PSU tracks, but the vast majority I replaced with something better.