PDA

View Full Version : Considering Ps2/PC Q/A

ThaiSoup
Apr 13, 2008, 06:47 PM
Well, I'm not playing any MMOs atm. Previous ShadowBane,WoW player. But eh, Bane got boring when the population died and WoW....well raiding can go burn heh. Anyways, until recently I forgot about this game. I started playing this on the release but it lacked content. I'm just now reading alot of the updates on the official fourms. So I had some questions about this before coming back.

Q: Is AoI Stand-alone product?

Q: The cap is currently 130? What's the general play time to get to such? I only really have weekends to play, so curious about that.

Q: What's the general run time for an area these days?

Q: Are there any groups of people willing to help one catch up in levels or leveling alts?

Q: Would you consider drops to be too easy/hard or just so-so?

Q: I've been meaning to get a new headset latley, but this game doesn't seem like one to really use one. Is there even a option to use such in this game?

(Forgot one) Q: What is a general PC Spec to run this game on its maximum potential?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ThaiSoup on 2008-04-13 16:51 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ThaiSoup on 2008-04-13 16:56 ]</font>

cApNhOwDy
Apr 13, 2008, 07:04 PM
AoI is standalone. There are people who will help you catch up in level, be sure to participate in Max Attack G for quick experience. There's no in-game voicechat, but there's a universal PSU ventrilo server info in my sig.

Tetsaru
Apr 13, 2008, 07:33 PM
Q: Is AoI Stand-alone product?

Yes. You do not have to get the original PSU in order to play AoI for PC/PS2.

Q: The cap is currently 130? What's the general play time to get to such? I only really have weekends to play, so curious about that.

Not sure exactly, but if you hang out around White Beast (the popular mission atm), you should be able to level up fairly quickly. Just be sure to check out the other areas of the game too. :3 Also, with MAG coming out April 25, there should be some exp bonuses in effect, so be sure to take advantage of that.

Q: What's the general run time for an area these days?

Depends on a lot of things: which mission you're doing, how many people are running it, their levels/jobs/what PA's they're using. I'd say it can range from anywhere between 10 minutes to an hour, though if you're in a party, things should go pretty quickly.

Q: Are there any groups of people willing to help one catch up in levels or leveling alts?

Sure, but you usually have to be in a popular area. White Beast is currently the place to be, but at low levels you probably won't be ready for it. Starting out, I'd say hang around the Guardian's Colony for a while (avoid the HIVE missions unless you're feeling gutsy).

Q: Would you consider drops to be too easy/hard or just so-so?

I'd say so-so right now. There are a lot of items that are easy to find, while some remain insanely rare.

Q: I've been meaning to get a new headset latley, but this game doesn't seem like one to really use one. Is there even a option to use such in this game?

Afaik, the PC/PS2 version of AoI does not support voice chat.

(Forgot one) Q: What is a general PC Spec to run this game on its maximum potential?

I currently have a 2.4 Ghz dual-core processor, 2 gigs of RAM, and an Nvidia GeForce 7900 (I think) graphics card, and it runs just fine for me.

Btw, I'd be glad to help you out online when I'm not busy. I'm usually online as Tetsaru or Tiffany, so keep an eye out for those names if you ever do get online. :3

Miyoko
Apr 13, 2008, 09:23 PM
I'll just respond to the questions that can't be answered in only one way http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Although I can't say the general playtime to get to such a high level, it doesn't take long to get to Lv100. And once you're at Lv100, the EXP slows down a lot, but, you have access to anything and everything available, so it's not a big deal. Lv100's can team with Lv130s without any problems at all.

One thing to note about this game, ESPECIALLY over WoW, is how intensely solo/casual friendly it is. If you want to go do an instance in WoW, the bare minimum ammount of time it'll take for you to finish an instance is an hour (this is assuming you have a team ready to go before you even log on). PSU is completely different -- It takes a matter of minutes to get to where you're going, and very rarely, if ever, more than an hour to finish a mission. It's a great game for people who can only sit down for an hour or two at a time.

There are, but not an infinite number of them. Remember, though, even us high level people usually have low level alts to raise! >.>/

Doesn't support it ingame, but there's nothing stopping you from using a second party voice program. However, it's not really -that- useful in PSU, since the tide can't change quickly enough for it to merit being used (and if it does, people are usually in the same room and can see it anyways).

Q: What is a general PC Spec to run this game on its maximum potential?
I have a Q6600 (core2quad 2.4ghz), 4gig DDR3 ram, GT8800 512mb (overclocked), (plus a bunch of other specs I won't bother mentioning) and I can run the game at max settings, max resolution, with forced anisotripic filtering on x8/x16 without and problems.

ThaiSoup
Apr 13, 2008, 11:41 PM
Yeah, that was my biggest issue with games like WoW. Takes too long to do one thing haha. I was thinking about picking up the game and just messing with the story mode and so forth. Maybe get a better feel of the game, but I figured offline and online would have quite the difference? Also, new question~

Q: How would you consider this game in balance, classwise? I read that there are like, 7 or so class? I don't feel like counting. I'm also more drawn into melee classes.

Criss
Apr 13, 2008, 11:52 PM
I think most of your questions have been answered, so I'll just comment on the game in general...

Overall, PSU is what you could call a "casual" MMORPG. You don't absolutely have to get a team for most missions (though solo can get really boring), most missions last between 10 and 30 minutes depending on your team, and most items are fairly easy to get (with just a few insanely rare items here and there).

Also, I'd highly recommend playing on PC, as the PS2 has some performance problems. Plus, you can either play with your common gamepad, an xbox controller or a PS3 controller (I play PSU on PC with my PS3 controller) and completely reconfigure the controls the way you want. PC/PS2 doesn't have voice chat, but if you make some really good friends, you can always set up a ventrilo or teamspeak server, like some people do.

The main problem with the PC/PS2 servers right now is the population. Outside of White Beast, most other lobbies are like ghost towns... but I'm sure you can find some people willing to go out and run random missions (Like I would. Feel free to message or mail me anytime, I'm always up for some variety in missions. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif ). Fortunately, the Maximum Attack G event is coming on the 25th. That should make a ton of people come back, as well as give you a good opportunity to get some quick leveling.

The game is completely different from back at the original release. There's tons of added missions, items, PAs, and added/refined gameplay mechanics (like the addition of Just Attack). It's just that most people play this more often than they should and eventually get around all the content and get bored. If you're looking for a fun, casual MMO that doesn't need you to dedicate your life to it, PSU is one of the best games you can get. And with the MAG event coming up soon, now's as good a time to start as ever.

EDIT:

On 2008-04-13 21:41, ThaiSoup wrote:
Yeah, that was my biggest issue with games like WoW. Takes too long to do one thing haha. I was thinking about picking up the game and just messing with the story mode and so forth. Maybe get a better feel of the game, but I figured offline and online would have quite the difference? Also, new question~

Q: How would you consider this game in balance, classwise? I read that there are like, 7 or so class? I don't feel like counting. I'm also more drawn into melee classes.

I personally think classes are pretty well balanced, though some people might think otherwise. What's sure though, is that there's a class for every playstyle. In the end, PSU isn't about raw power, having the best items or best possible stats. It's getting a race and class that you like playing, and make the most out of it. There is no such thing as a useless class, it's all about how the player plays it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Criss on 2008-04-13 21:56 ]</font>

ThaiSoup
Apr 14, 2008, 12:08 AM
Yeah, I was thinking PC over PS2, though. I was thinking maybe it would run nice on my ps3, but then again...nah. Yeah, PC is soundin' nice. Kinda surprised its a low pop though, its too bad. I'm guessing the game would revolve around a trade economy similar to how PSO was. I dunno though, Fortefighter sounds good, but I've always been a sucker for double sabers. So I'm already in a dilemma pre-play. >..>; And yeah, with college and all, what I need is a casual game without them epics >.< So, about this "MAG" Event, how much is this xp boost I keep getting recommended to attend for?

Also,I'm seeing Team: By some people's name on here. Some sort of guild association type thing?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ThaiSoup on 2008-04-13 22:53 ]</font>

Yuneiko
Apr 14, 2008, 01:06 AM
Hey there, I'm also on the PC/PS2 servers. Everyone's already posted their answers, so I won't bother, but I will reiterate that PSU is a "Casual" MMO. Some people just blaze through the level caps, just to end up burned out on the content. I prefer to have fun while leveling and just enjoy the game, have fun with friends, and just do stupid stuff a lot. Feel free to search me up if you decide to join us, I'll be happy to run anywhere with ya, I'm very open to running anywhere people wish to run.

MAG is short for Max Attack G, it starts on the 25th. The missions that it brings will be the PSO areas, and it brings the old PSO costumes as well. As for the direct exp bonus, I'm not exactly sure by how much it is, but i've read that the monsters in MAG are even weaker than they normally are, and they give much more exp to boot, meaning faster leveling for us casual players (and even more whining from the "easymode" crowd).

As for class, why not play both? Switch to whichever class you want, whenever you feel the urge to swing a huge axe or whenever you want the paddles(GRM A rank doubles), there's no reason to limit yourself into one class, and since they're both centered on melee, they can share the same weapons. So, don't feel pressured at all by anything in the game, take it at your own pace and play however the way you like.

tl;dr Look me up, i'm happy to help, MAG is a big boost to newcomers and casuals, be whatever class you want.

Miyoko
Apr 14, 2008, 03:38 AM
As far as balance goes, it really depends who you ask. Some would say yes (most likely hunters http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif) some would say no (most likely gunners and techers http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif) I personally feel that the game has some -awful- imbalances here and there (Melee/JA vs Guns/Techs, many guns hardly being worth using, some classes just being too strong compared to others, like AT's to fTs, or fFs to... Everything http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif but let's -not make a debate about this-.) HOWEVER (again, let's not make a debate) whether or not there is or isn't imbalances honestly doesn't matter too much. It'll mostly come down to player prefrence, and in the end, it's kind of pointless, since you can change your class any time you want, and 'powergaming' doesn't really give you -that- much of an advantage. A team of 'underpowered' classes can still do every mission in the game without any troubles.

Imbalances -would- be a bigger problem if there was: PVP, Guilds (exclusion of certain race/class combos), raids, occasional and surprisingly good game / PA balancing (lolchikki)... ie: if there was a lot of what WoW included, kinda. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

ThaiSoup
Apr 14, 2008, 11:05 PM
Ah, no PvP. Yeah, I don't think I could see that going too well for such a game haha. Well, depending on my schedule and so forth, I might pick up the game this week so I can try to get a little bit of a start before MAG.