PDA

View Full Version : ASCII Keyboard, not ment for the big handed.

Average_Joe
Jan 20, 2003, 04:00 PM
Finally picked up my ASCII keyboard, and while I'm rather happy with the look and feel of it (I thought it would be awkward to use, but it's not) I find it hard to type since my fingers don't even fit on the home row.

I have to end up typing with one finger or I'll mash random keys since they are so close together.

But then again, beggars can't be choosers, this product wasn't exactly made for the populace outside of Japan.

Guntz348
Jan 20, 2003, 04:25 PM
I got one a couple weeks ago and I agree with you, the keys are TINY, but it beats the software keyboard. I think this was addressed before in the huge keyboard thread at top too, where this should be also http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Elixer
Jan 20, 2003, 04:30 PM
i dont have it but i heard people in lobbies complaining because they say the keys are very tiny. heh i just wish they would release keyboard in us

Average_Joe
Jan 20, 2003, 04:52 PM
On 2003-01-20 13:25, Guntz348 wrote:
I got one a couple weeks ago and I agree with you, the keys are TINY, but it beats the software keyboard. I think this was addressed before in the huge keyboard thread at top too, where this should be also http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Yeah, I realized that after I posted this.

I'm sure a mod will fix my mistake.

Zio
Jan 20, 2003, 05:57 PM
The keyboard was made for japanese people, and as everyone knows they are smaller than the average american. As well as making the keys any larger would make the hybrid controller/keyboard gigantic and then it wouldn't have been such a good idea to make.

Vantamiath
Jan 20, 2003, 06:22 PM
Keys arent my problem, I seem to always hit the CAPS-LOCK when I'm trying to SHIFT.

Whatever happened to the USA size KB's displayed at E3?

Cloak
Jan 20, 2003, 07:29 PM
On 2003-01-20 14:57, Zio wrote:
The keyboard was made for japanese people, and as everyone knows they are smaller than the average american. As well as making the keys any larger would make the hybrid controller/keyboard gigantic and then it wouldn't have been such a good idea to make.

I don't think it was a good idea. All of the people I who I ask "Do you use your KB to play, or do you use a separate controller?" always say they use a separate controller, and so do I.

GaijinPUnch
Jan 20, 2003, 07:55 PM
Yeah, the keyboard is kinda lame. Everyone has one here in Japan... me being the big whitey, I assumed it was the same as everything -- I'm just Gaijin size in a world built for smaller Japanese people.

I made a comment about it in a game, and another guy was like, "Don't worry -- this keyboard doesn't fit ANYONE!"

Manny
Jan 20, 2003, 08:20 PM
I'm asian (small hands too) and the keyboard is even small for me. It is also very hard to type at a normal pace because sometimes if you even run your finger over a key it will still produce the letter.

hooray4punkmusic
Jan 20, 2003, 11:38 PM
While if you don't like it don't use it. If you bought it and don't like it too bad. So stop bitching:)

TeK-DEL0REAN
Jan 21, 2003, 08:07 AM
you get used to it for the most part but i keep hitting the caps lock too.

rena-ko
Jan 21, 2003, 08:23 AM
there is me and i'm used to bigger keyboards since i learned to type... usually my fingers fit fine to the ascii-board's keys but then again, i have to get used to the different key-layout (since its not a qwertz- [german], but a qwerty-board) and the different size and the different feeling with the controllerparts thorn apart.

but then again, after a little while you get used to everything and i tried the ascii-board with resident evil and super mario sunshine and it works quite fine imho...

eRUPT
Jan 21, 2003, 10:49 AM
Everytime I start using it I notice I start typing pretty much fine after about 10-15 minutes on it. Just gotta get out of the normal keyboard state of mind.

UMMON
Jan 21, 2003, 11:59 AM
On 2003-01-20 15:22, iHATEpsoCHEATERS wrote:
Keys arent my problem, I seem to always hit the CAPS-LOCK when I'm trying to SHIFT.

Whatever happened to the USA size KB's displayed at E3?

Thats funny, thats my problem too.

Ruby-chan
Jan 21, 2003, 10:50 PM
On 2003-01-20 16:29, Cloak wrote:
I don't think it was a good idea. All of the people I who I ask "Do you use your KB to play, or do you use a separate controller?" always say they use a separate controller, and so do I.

I use it. It's handy, and it's basically the same as using another controler, except instead of having to put my controller down and pickup the keyboard I let go of the grips and type, then grab the grips again.

Try it, I think once you stop not using it because you think it's weird you'll find it's easier that way.

Also I think the keyboard is small because instead of using standard keyboard sized keys they used the keys for one of those fold out PDA keyboards. From what I recall the keys are about the same size and (more importantly) depth. I think we have ASCII trying to save cash or trying to make the controller much smaller to blame.

Atax
Jan 22, 2003, 02:07 AM
If you guys think the ASCII keyboard keys are small, then imagen trying to use one of these:

http://media.lik-sang.com/images//large/ps2_keymini.jpg