PDA

View Full Version : Possible new player.

Sakrafyce
Apr 16, 2008, 07:49 AM
Hello there, I'm thinking about purchasing this game. I played the original PSO on Dreamcast...heh I really wanted to get this when it came out, but some MMOs got in the way. Just had a few questions.

Is there still MAGs to level up? Where can I find a description of all the jobs? How friendly is the game to new players, will it be hard to find others to play with? Is cheating and duping still going on?

Thanks in advance.

Dhylec
Apr 16, 2008, 08:02 AM
Mags from PSO are now weapons in PSU - Ranged & Casting weapons.
Look in this sticky's Beginners section for guides on class info
http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=124388&forum=22&0
Also, see these recent topics about coming back to a new AoI..
http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=173730&forum=20&9
http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=173786&forum=20&8
http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=172213&forum=20&26

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dhylec on 2008-04-16 08:35 ]</font>

DEM_CIG
Apr 16, 2008, 08:45 AM
It depends on what server ur gona be on. There's alot more people on the 360, then the PS2/PC server. It is probly alittle easier to find a party on the 360 server, but there r alot of dbags on the 360. But it is fairly easy to find a party in PSU.

AC9breaker
Apr 16, 2008, 09:37 AM
The game seems difficult at the beginning but once you get the jist of things and how to play the player market things get a lot of easier. As for cheating and duping, things aren't as bad as it was on dreamcast, wait... Thats not saying much considering Dreamcast was pretty bad. Its not as bad as it was for the Gamecube iterations of the game which where a hell of a lot better then the Dreamcast. The only real problem if any is scammers and such but generally their quite easy to avoid as long as your cautious and have a brain.

PSU is also quite Harcore Casual. You can play for a few mins, get some stuff done and feel cery accomplish, so that means you don't have to quite whatever MMO it is your playing unless the monthly fee of 10.99 or whatever it is is too much for you. The 360 servers have a greater population then PC servers but I personally find the population issue to be a moot one these days since everyone will just flock to the same lobby and spam the same mission in till a new flavor of the month is dropped by Sega. Only difference is PC has more of a community feel to it while 360 invokes a sense of anomie.

Also I recommend you don't even consider playing on PS2. You won't be able to enjoy the game as you should due to the inferior hardware of the ps2 and shoddy coding of Sega.

Sakrafyce
Apr 16, 2008, 09:40 AM
I was mainly looking for something to play the next 30 days while I wait for Age of Conan. Thanks for the responses, I'll start reading those FAQs in the Beginner's section.

Arika
Apr 16, 2008, 10:11 AM
So, it mean you are going to play only 30 days then quit?

Sakrafyce
Apr 16, 2008, 10:46 AM
If I can get into it like I did PSO back in the day, I'll play longer. I'm looking at the April thread of pics/videos and it has me really excited. I can't wait for my copy to come in, I wish Sega had digital download. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

joefro
Apr 16, 2008, 10:58 AM
On 2008-04-16 07:40, Sakrafyce wrote:
I was mainly looking for something to play the next 30 days while I wait for Age of Conan. Thanks for the responses, I'll start reading those FAQs in the Beginner's section.

I can't wait for AoC either. I'm not quitting PSU though. I realllllly hope AoC doesn't get delayed again. And btw, PSU is totally different than MMOs like AoC.

Sakrafyce
Apr 16, 2008, 11:01 AM
I know they're different.

Oh I had another question, I bought the original game, should I have purchased the expansion first?

joefro
Apr 16, 2008, 11:02 AM
Yes

Sakrafyce
Apr 16, 2008, 11:04 AM
The expansion has all the original content?

Wheatpenny
Apr 16, 2008, 11:13 AM
On 2008-04-16 09:04, Sakrafyce wrote:
The expansion has all the original content?

Yes.

Cathbar
Apr 16, 2008, 11:13 AM
everything except the offline part of the 1st game

joefro
Apr 16, 2008, 11:16 AM
On 2008-04-16 09:13, Cathbar wrote:
everything except the offline part of the 1st game

If you are on 360, the expansion does not have single play at all. The PC/PS2 does have single player in the expansion though.

Sakrafyce
Apr 16, 2008, 11:17 AM
Oh that sucks...heh, oh well...didn't cost much and I'll get to mess around with the offline mode. Guess I'll need to pick up the expansion asap though.

joefro
Apr 16, 2008, 11:22 AM
Are you on 360 or PC/PS2?

Shinko
Apr 16, 2008, 11:28 AM
well compare to most mmo's psu kinda weak. There's a few reasons why and they most likely could be fixed but I really don't feel like explaining them and then getting in a debate with others here. But what keeps me into psu is that it's different than most mmo's too. That's it strong point.

If ur looking for a good community i would go to 360. Way more ppl. though i think PC/PS2 is more user friendly.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shinko on 2008-04-16 09:30 ]</font>

Sakrafyce
Apr 16, 2008, 11:31 AM
No 360 here. I own a PS3 and my PC, I mainly PC game. Most of the good 360 games come out for PC anyway. I bought it for PC.

Shinko
Apr 16, 2008, 11:40 AM
On 2008-04-16 09:31, Sakrafyce wrote:
No 360 here. I own a PS3 and my PC, I mainly PC game. Most of the good 360 games come out for PC anyway. I bought it for PC.

Well don't expect a big community but other that that i guess u be fine

joefro
Apr 16, 2008, 11:40 AM
I've never played on PS2/PC, but I've heard the community is great, small but friendly. On 360, however, I can personally tell you that the community is big, but filled with many assholes. I really wouldn't mind playing on PC but all of my friends play on 360 so I'm kind of stuck. >< Good luck though, if you decide to start.

Sakrafyce
Apr 16, 2008, 11:41 AM
Most of the regulars here play on the 360?

I'll be playing for sure, ordered a copy online this morning (no stores locally have it). Can't wait. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sakrafyce on 2008-04-16 09:42 ]</font>

Magician4
Apr 16, 2008, 12:21 PM
I'm also thinking about getting this this weekend for the 360... so I should just go ahead and buy the expansion instead of the original? I plan on playing online so I don't care about the story... I already beat the story on PS2 anyway. Also, how much does it cost?

Yuneiko
Apr 16, 2008, 01:18 PM
Heh, PC/PS2? Look me up if you need any help. I'm always willing to run anywhere that people want to go.

imfanboy
Apr 16, 2008, 01:56 PM
I personally think my guide is top-notch. XD

http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=154629&forum=22&2

Check it out!

Sakrafyce
Apr 16, 2008, 03:28 PM
Yours is actually the only one I read so far imfanboy...heh, good job on it.

RemiusTA
Apr 16, 2008, 03:44 PM
On 2008-04-16 07:40, Sakrafyce wrote:

When you play this game, make sure you are not looking to play a PSO v2.0 because you will be disappointed. This game is not PSO, just very similar. Expect a different experience

Sakrafyce
Apr 16, 2008, 05:27 PM
What's the main differences Remius? they look fairly similar in the videos I've watched.

imfanboy
Apr 16, 2008, 05:51 PM
Well, it's faster-paced, for one - you can move, attack, move again with little delay. Also, 'combos' with weapons don't come until you've leveled the PA up.

The main variation isn't with weapons (as it was with PSO, where you had say BKB, MKB, Double Cannon, Twin Blaze, Meteor Cudgel, Demolition Comet, and Partisan of Lightning in addition to the regular Twin Saber with different colors), it's with the Photon Arts. Each weapon has at least three different Photon Arts, all with a different animation and different specialties.

For example, Double Sabers have Gravity Dance, which is useful for attacking groups of small enemies all around; Absolute Dance, which has high damage but few hits (and looks cool); Tornado Dance, which is only useful for pinning down large monsters or sending a horde of smaller enemies flying; and Spiral Dance, which is pretty generic and useful for pretty much any situation - and in order to really 'master' the Double Saber, you've got to have all of them leveled up high!

Also, PSU has a greater variety of weapon Types - PSO only had 15, PSU has 26. doesn't sound like too big of a difference, but it really does make the game more fun to have a weapon and PA of your own, no?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: imfanboy on 2008-04-16 15:55 ]</font>

Sakrafyce
Apr 16, 2008, 06:10 PM
That doesn't sound too bad, I love weapons. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

I read earlier you could use your PS3 controller with the PC version, anyone know how? do you just plug it into the USB and it recognizes it?

Dhylec
Apr 16, 2008, 06:33 PM
On 2008-04-16 16:10, Sakrafyce wrote:
That doesn't sound too bad, I love weapons. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

I read earlier you could use your PS3 controller with the PC version, anyone know how? do you just plug it into the USB and it recognizes it?

See this
http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=173778&forum=3&2

Sakrafyce
Apr 16, 2008, 06:34 PM
Thank you sir, I'll make sure I DL that driver if I don't like the keyboard controls.

Kairi_Li
Apr 16, 2008, 07:50 PM
Nice, a new player to come and join us!

If you ever wanna party together, contact me! My emails and instant message info is all here. I'll do my best to help you out!

http://www.pso-world.com/user.php?op=userinfo&uname=Kairi_Li

RemiusTA
Apr 16, 2008, 09:28 PM
On 2008-04-16 15:27, Sakrafyce wrote:
What's the main differences Remius? they look fairly similar in the videos I've watched.

This mostly goes for Force players, but it can go to fighters too. (I have no clue why a gunner would want the PSO system back.)

Just the way things are setup and how they work. Like the fact that Gizonde, Gibarta and Gifoie no longer have different effects but are technically the same spell with different elemental damage, Status effects, and in some cases Casting speed and range. (I know for a fact Gifoie is faster than Gibarta now)

I just dont know, i hate going to help newbies out to play this game and hear them ramble on how "i miss such n such n such n such PSO PSO PSO". I can relate to them on most days but after a while it just gets repetitive. It happens so much even on the forums that im getting quite fed up with it.

They ARE similar in gameplay, but the mechanics of the game outside attacking and stuff have completely changed.

Sakrafyce
Apr 16, 2008, 10:02 PM
heh, you can help me. I don't complain! I plan to hunter it up anyway, I like to melee.

Magician4
Apr 16, 2008, 11:06 PM
How much does the expansion cost for the 360?

Sakrafyce
Apr 17, 2008, 01:46 AM
I found a copy of the expansion tonight, just installed it but I'm heading to bed. I'll play in the morning.

I had a question though for PC users, possible to raise resolution? max seems to be 1280 x 1024, my monitor supports 1440 x 900.

Sakrafyce
Apr 17, 2008, 01:15 PM
So I started playing this morning, level 4 currently. Still trying to figure everything out. Anything I should focus on? I did the Unsafe Passage mission twice, and I'm trying to figure out what to do next.

Mimo
Apr 17, 2008, 01:30 PM
if yor on pc i dont mind helping you out http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Celi-Ka
Apr 17, 2008, 01:36 PM
On 2008-04-16 21:06, Magician4 wrote:
How much does the expansion cost for the 360?

The expansion for the 360 can only be obtained on XBox Live, and it costs 1600 Microsoft Points. You also have to have the original PSU disc to access the AOI Expansion content.

Sakrafyce
Apr 17, 2008, 02:18 PM
Yea, anyone interested in showing me the ropes would be much appreciated. My character's name is Eden - Human Hunter. She'll be in Universe 10.

Dkzero23
Apr 17, 2008, 08:24 PM
On 2008-04-16 09:17, Sakrafyce wrote:
Oh that sucks...heh, oh well...didn't cost much and I'll get to mess around with the offline mode. Guess I'll need to pick up the expansion asap though.

Stay away from the offline mode, it will leave a bad taste in your mouth forever. Just thinking about Ethan Waber makes me want to vomit.