PDA

View Full Version : Two for the price of one!

Nai_Calus
Apr 22, 2008, 08:33 AM
Topic: The EN version isn't the only fucking one, you twats.

I am sick to shitting death of hearing that 'All the official PSO servers are dead'. They fucking aren't. JPBB, as I have pointed out numerous damned times, is not only still going, it's still doing rather well and still has fucking events from time to time. That doesn't seem very dead to me. So stop saying all the official servers are fucking dead!

This also goes for all the fucktarded complaining I used to see every time someone posted a JPPSU update, where some idiot would whine that they didn't care and nobody did. The importers did? People who want to know what to look forward to did?

Just because you don't play the JP version of something doesn't mean it doesn't fucking exist or that nobody could possibly be interested in it. Christ.

Topic: I like PSO. Is that fucking OK with you?

(tl;dr version because even I don't want to read that wall of text I wrote: PSO is fucked up beyond belief but I love it anyway. PSU isn't fucked up beyond belief but I hate it anyway. People need to stop bashing PSO on a PSO fansite. I like PSO. Is that fucking OK with you?)

So there's this game that came out eight years ago. It's called PSO. It looks, sounds and feels like a game that came out eight years ago, even stuff from the expansions that came out six and four years ago, which were designed to match the look and feel of the original content. It has the battle system and features you would expect from a game that came out eight years ago designed to be played online over dialup connections. It has glaring fucking flaws that have been in place since day one that were never fixed. At least one of the classes is balanced so poorly that its main viable playstyle doesn't actually work in at least one area of the game due to ludicrous stat maxes, this too not ever being fixed. In its later years the EN version was managed like pure and utter shit and went to complete fucking hell and official EN support died slowly and painfully even as unofficial support came and did things better than the fucking actual company. Nearly every aspect of the game has been fucked up or broken in some way at some point by something and its history is one of fuckups and godforsaken miserable failures.

There is no game I love more. There is no game I care more passionately about.

I know each and every problem and fuckup. I know each and every thing that's just plain poorly done. I hate an entire twelfth of the game, fuck you Caves. It's my favourite class in the game that I spoke of before as being shittily balanced, FOmar's ATA is so low he literally cannot hit in Seabed online, even with a Red Ring, unless he has weapons with really good Hit %, making his most effective playstyle, melee, basically impossible unless you have the luck of the gods themselves, which I don't. Is this fucking stupid? Hell goddamned yes it is. FOrces max at 186, 183, 170 and 163 ATA for FOnewearl, FOnewm, FOmarl and FOmar respectively. The latter two are the ones with melee-oriented stats. There is no fucking reason at all why FOmarl and FOmar shouldn't have had 180 and 177 ATA. The damage FOmar does when he hits is NOT enough to be broken by being able to hit more often, especially not when he's damn near tied with FOnewearl for worst DFP and HP in the fucking game. I play FOmar because he's fun as all hell to play when he works, and he looks good to boot, but jesus christ, ST. The fuck.

Duping? FSODing? DC's NOLing? BB's various fuckshitteries? (lawl grinding an S-rank Twin too fast for the server's tastes, getting DCed by it and losing the weapon, great times, fuck you ST.) All massive cockups. BB's fucktarded EXP loss? Fuck you ST.

Problems every damned place. Hell, the things I hate in PSO are arguably worse than the things I hate in PSU.

And yet, I love the game. I play the game still. Daily if I can. I consider a day in which I haven't played any Challenge Mode a failure, because C-mode is goddamned fun. Working with other people, looking out for everyone's needs, coordinating on puzzles to advance and get items that can directly contribute to the success of the run? Jesus Fucking Christ YES. It's great. Keeping track of not just how many Monomates, Dimates and Scape Dolls I have but how many everyone else has? Knowing how many fluids the Force has and if I need to give them some? Or if I'm the Force, gauging the density of the enemies in the spawn pattern we've gotten and how much of the stage is left to ration out my TP usage? Using every bit of skill I have to kill as fast as possible while avoiding being hit as much as possible? Yes. Yes, yes and more yes. Do want, gib.

I'm hunting a Red Ring with a friend. This is a fucktardedly rare drop. This does not bother me, because while we do this we're doing stuff we would be doing anyway, hunting other stuff at the same time and having a good time to boot. There's also at least five different ways to go about fighting Dark Falz, pick which quest you want depending on what kind of enemy spawns you're looking for.

Sure, I've seen wrestling games with better character creation. (Better character creation than PSU has as well, but) But PSO's serves my needs. I like the looks of the character classes. Sometimes it's nice to not have to fuck around for an hour getting your face just goddamned right. It does what I want it to do, which is make characters I can stand to look at for thousands of hours.

With PSO I see the godforsaken game-breaking flaws and stack them against the things I love and the fun I have and how much I enjoy all the aspects of the gameplay and the world and the story and the feel of the game, and the things I love come out on top. I am not blind to its flaws. I fucking hate them and bitch about them all the damned time. But I love PSO's good points more than I hate its bad points.

PSU... Doesn't strike that balance. None of the things I hate in it are really game-breaking. They're just annoying. There's nothing like FOmar's ludicrously low ATA, or FSOD or what have you. Just 'Blah, this class is boring' or 'ugh, I hate how you access items' or 'Damn near every area in this game reminds me of Caves in some way'.

But it also lacks the love factor. There's no c-mode, just party missions nobody will ever do. The character creation is more robust, but the clothing and designs do little for me. Great, I like how this Beast I made looks, too bad I can't find clothing I really like for him. Oh, hey, this set is nice, but it doesn't come in colours I like, darn.

The story means little to me and I don't care about my characters or feel the urge to make up stories about them. My PSO characters, the main ones and even some of the lowbie alts, all have fucktons of backstory and character development and story. I can tell you what they like, what they hate, how they act, how they got where they are, what they're doing and what they'll do in the future. Hell, some of my alts were made to represent characters I'd come up with. PSU I don't care. I played it for over a year and it never got beyond the vaguest of ideas swiped directly from my PSO characters. Hell, my PSU main was just a PSU version of my PSO main, minus actually giving a fuck about his history and motivations. I've been trying to make a fantasy-style adaption of Nai for a week or so and that has more fucking development than PSU Nai ever got.

Why did I play PSU so fucking long? I don't know. The hope that suddenly it would get better. That x new class or y new area or z weapon or whatever would suddenly open it all up for me and bring on the love. But it never did, and finally after a year and two different versions I quit.

There is no reason at all for me to actively hate PSU, and yet I do. Nothing in it justifies hate, just bland 'eh, who cares'-ing, but I hate the fucking thing.

Quite possibly because of PSOW. It gets fucking tiresome hearing damn near everyone in PSU General whine about how much it sucked, how it's dead, how everyone needs to get over it, or worse when they go to fucking PSO General and whine about it THERE. I dunno, maybe they've stopped whining about PSO in PSU General, I haven't actively read it in like a month, but I keep seeing people come bitch about PSO, in the PSO forum of a fucking PSO fansite.

Yeah, this is Phantasy Star Online World. Five years ago I joined this site because of motherfucking PSO.

Because I liked PSO.

I still like PSO.

I'm not that keen on PSU.

Is that motherfucking OK with you? Can I like my fucking game? You're welcome to like PSU all you want, I won't stop you or even say you're an idiot for it.

But seriously, can I like motherfucking PSO on a motherfucking PSO website? Srsly?

(Unless I've miscounted, I managed to use the F-word exactly 42 times in this post without even trying. FKL ate me?)

Sol_B4dguy
Apr 22, 2008, 08:53 AM
Short answer: yes.

Long answer: Your entitled to your opinion, and I'm entitled to mine. I like them both for different reasons, but people bashing on someone liking a game on a fansite of said game is just too fucking ironic.

enoch
Apr 22, 2008, 09:24 AM
T_T you took the words righ tout of my mouth, pso characters had shitloads of flavor,
You missed one of psu's flaws.....The jester hat, the one the FOnewearl has, The FOnewm had it TOOO DAMNIT PSO GIVE ME MY MALE JESTER HAT, THATS ALL I ASK

MrNomad
Apr 22, 2008, 03:35 PM
ITs ok to like PSO. Just remember:This is mostly an ENGLISH site for an ENGLISH Phantasy Star Online/Universe. When the ENGLISH servers for PSO come down completely, that's awfully a lot like saying "the game is dead", you know, considering since most people dont try and import a jp game when it's already in the US/EU anyway. Saying it isn't dead because the main servers in JP are still up is alittle viable, but honestly, PSO can now be called a classic (I.E. passed its prime) with all the main servers for it coming down in the US. The only "alive" aspect for PSO here now are private servers, which honeslty are no different than having a Sega Genesis emulator on your PC.

ljkkjlcm9
Apr 22, 2008, 04:10 PM
You know, a lot of what you hate about PSU is your own doing. Making up backstories is entirely up to you. I have no backstory for PSO or PSU. I don't care about the story they gave me for PSO or PSU.

And seriously, I'm more sick of people complaining about people complaining. That's a fact of LIFE. People will always hate on everything. Not everyone will like something. Hell, my main forum I post it is about Final Fantasy, and most of the people there bash on 90% of the final fantasy games and the final fantasy fans. If you honestly can't stand it, I suggest you just ignore it, or leave the forum. Because it isn't going away. And nothing anyone can say will change that.

the military says, "A complaining soldier is a happy soldier." Get used to it. People always talk about the things they hate more than the things they like. It's how we work as humans

and for the record, both games bore me to tears. PSO is just way too slow for me, and far more repetitive than PSU. PSU also bores me, and it's also because of repetitive gameplay. But that's true with most online games, and probably why I don't play them for very long.

THE JACKEL

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ljkkjlcm9 on 2008-04-22 14:12 ]</font>

Sekani
Apr 22, 2008, 06:05 PM
One: The JP servers mean nothing to people who can't speak Japanese. To them, all of the PSO servers are dead. This technicality you're throwing up is pretty pointless.

Two: Good for you? I'd like to see less stupid PSO vs PSU arguments though, they're annoying.

Eihwaz
Apr 23, 2008, 02:30 AM
On 2008-04-22 16:05, Sekani wrote:
One: The JP servers mean nothing to people who can't speak Japanese. To them, all of the PSO servers are dead. This technicality you're throwing up is pretty pointless.

I call bullshit on this. I remember playing PSOBB in JP, back during the Open Beta, and it was more than possible for me to enjoy the game. True, I didn't have as many people to play with, but I still managed to play. I don't speak a word of Japanese. I had to print out katakana charts just so I could memorize the shapes to identify basic items.

EDIT: Oh, also, I have no interest to play PSU, given that it sounds really unappealing to me. I shall continue to play BB, on the private servers, for the foreseeable future.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eihwaz on 2008-04-23 00:33 ]</font>

Zorafim
Apr 24, 2008, 07:40 PM
Now that's a rant. I should take notes.

Mystil
Apr 24, 2008, 07:52 PM
As much as I miss PSO, I'm afraid there is no turning back now. There's nothing wrong with liking PSO..it did in some ways provide a better experience because everything was there and ready for people to try.

Para
Apr 24, 2008, 10:57 PM
SEGA needs to learn a lesson from Nintendo on making rehashes. ;o

AlexCraig
Apr 24, 2008, 11:39 PM
Well that was interesting. My version would be a tad softer, but I do agree on most of what you said. I'm pretty pissed with seeing PSU elitists pop up in PSO General to spout their crap. Even Ketchup said to keep PSU discussions OUT of PSO General. And yet they still come.

Personally, I don't mind PSU. I know that there are people who like it and play it often. Hell, due to a friend of mine, I intend to give it a shot at some point. It is because of this that you won't find me ripping on PSU.

Why others (and you know who you are) come in to hate on PSO in our own damn forum is beyond me. Does it increase your e-peen? Does it stroke your ego which nobody gives a flying rat's ass about? Because, seriously, we are pretty fucking tired of seeing that. You like PSU, fine. But keep your elitist shit out of our PSO General.

[Side note, but similarly related:] If there is one thing that I absolutely abhorr, it is elitism. Doesn't matter if it is PSO side or PSU side. I HATE elitism. And when it infringes upon my interests or someone elses, it gets me pissed. And I am sure I am not the only one. So regardless of whether you are a PSU or PSO elitist, cut that shit out.

EDIT: Furthermore, Ian is correct. PSO is not dead. People still play the games. Most may be on private servers, or the JP servers, as he pointed out. Hell, you can fucking play the game offline! Regardless of where or how we play, the point still stands: we do still play PSO. So knock off this "PSO is dead" and "You should move on" shit, because it is just that: shit.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AlexCraig on 2008-04-24 21:50 ]</font>

Sekani
Apr 25, 2008, 12:07 AM
On 2008-04-24 21:39, AlexCraig wrote:
Well that was interesting. My version would be a tad softer, but I do agree on most of what you said. I'm pretty pissed with seeing PSU elitists pop up in PSO General to spout their crap. Even Ketchup said to keep PSU discussions OUT of PSO General. And yet they still come.

Why others (and you know who you are) come in to hate on PSO in our own damn forum is beyond me. Does it increase your e-peen? Does it stroke your ego which nobody gives a flying rat's ass about? Because, seriously, we are pretty fucking tired of seeing that. You like PSU, fine. But keep your elitist shit out of our PSO General.

Side-rant: Why do you keep posting this in every forum that's not PSO General? If this only applies there, then why do I, who could honestly give less than half a shit about your precious forum, have to see this played out message in every fucking post you make? Keep your wannabe-mod-warnings in PSO General where they belong, thank you.

AlexCraig
Apr 25, 2008, 12:14 AM
On 2008-04-24 22:07, Sekani wrote:
Side-rant: Why do you keep posting this in every forum that's not PSO General? If this only applies there, then why do I, who could honestly give less than half a shit about your precious forum, have to see this played out message in every fucking post you make? Keep your wannabe-mod-warnings in PSO General where they belong, thank you.

1.) Fuck you.

2.) I do say this in PSO General. About once or twice a week it seems lately. But then, you don't go in there, so you honestly wouldn't know now would you? I do not post this in EVERY forum. PSO General, Rants (in which what I said is PERFECT for here), and on the occasion FKL. That does not sound like every forum. I do not say this in every post I make, as you would so clearly see if you checked my recent posts in my profile.

3.) I will post my message wherever it will be heard, thank you very much. And I don't need some hard up asshole like yourself to tell me where I should post. Keep your flamebait to yourself.

4.) You don't like what I say? Ignore it. Simplest solution. Personally, I hate half the shit that flies from your fingers as well.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AlexCraig on 2008-04-24 22:16 ]</font>

Sekani
Apr 25, 2008, 12:24 AM
On 2008-04-24 22:14, AlexCraig wrote:

4.) You don't like what I say? Ignore it. Simplest solution. Personally, I hate half the shit that flies from your fingers as well.

You could just ignore all the anti-PSO ranting as well instead of flying off the handle like the whiny hypocrite you are. What makes you so special that everyone has to pay you attention, and yet everyone else has to "fuck off"?

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Apr 25, 2008, 12:25 AM
Locked up due to side-topic fighting.

Check inboxes for warnings.