PDA

View Full Version : Beast Tails?

Gothica
Apr 23, 2008, 01:34 PM
So when Beasts Nanoblast they have tails. How come when they're not in nanoblast form they don't have one?

LuigiMario
Apr 23, 2008, 01:36 PM
?????

Anduril
Apr 23, 2008, 01:37 PM
No one knows... *waves hands around in a semi-circular motion while going "Wooooooooo"*
But my guess is that they didn't want to have to deal with clothes and tails having issues that would require them to have a different skin just for Beasts.
Actually if I recall correctly they did have some concept art where they had non-Nanoblasted Beasts with tails, but they scrapped the idea. Nevermind. It was just a different concept for the Nanoblast form.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Anduril on 2008-04-23 11:41 ]</font>

beatrixkiddo
Apr 23, 2008, 01:43 PM
On 2008-04-23 11:34, Gothica wrote:
So when Beasts Nanoblast they have tails. How come when they're not in nanoblast form they don't have one?

One assumes it's for the same reason that they aren't GIGANTIC when they aren't in nanoblast form.

RAGNAGELPPOD
Apr 23, 2008, 01:47 PM
I still wonder why they call it a nanoblast when they increase in size. Shouldn't it be Macroblast?

Gothica
Apr 23, 2008, 01:47 PM
I want a tail. = It'd look cool. And no I refuse to wear that miniskirt that has a tail attached. That is just plain weird!

lokey013
Apr 23, 2008, 01:50 PM
Doesn't one of the outfits/accessories come with a tail? I forget...

Akaimizu
Apr 23, 2008, 02:02 PM
There is one bottom I've seen, which is sort of like form-fitting leggings that has a kind of canine tail attached. Fully covered. Kind of like an actor's tights for certain styles of theatre. Don't remember the name since I didn't buy that one. I was considering using that one on Tynselle, for a bit; but decided against it when a particular character left the game.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2008-04-23 12:03 ]</font>

Uraiel_Geru
Apr 23, 2008, 02:03 PM
Clearly, the tail is what gives a Nanoblast form its awesome power. When a Beast uses a Blast Badge, it unleashes the tail. It'd be too dangerous to have a tail around all the time.

DEM_CIG
Apr 23, 2008, 02:03 PM
lol this topic is kinda pointless... yes one of the pairs of pants come with a tail (female).

Mewnie
Apr 23, 2008, 02:06 PM
And thank god we don't have tails. Like we need more furries infesting our wonderful, wonderful race.

Anduril
Apr 23, 2008, 02:08 PM
Now if only they had accessories that you could buy separatly from clothes then those who want Tails could have them, and those who don't wouldn't. oh, why are hats and the such tied to hairstyles?!

Gothica
Apr 23, 2008, 02:16 PM
Yea. I want a cowboy hat!

Akaimizu
Apr 23, 2008, 02:59 PM
You know I want one on Tynselle. Needless to say, the cowboy hat was the clincher in making me decide who my 4th character would be.

landman
Apr 23, 2008, 03:05 PM
Wasn't the nanoblast a technology? I though it was not exactly a transformation but some kind of armor that uses the Beast rage, at least it seems to me according to the opening scene and some chapter in episode 1...

Minamo
Apr 23, 2008, 03:35 PM
If the beasts have the tail, they will become big gorillas when looking at the full moon.

(Oh no, this game is not Dragon Ball)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Minamo on 2008-04-23 13:35 ]</font>

Kylie
Apr 23, 2008, 03:38 PM
On 2008-04-23 13:05, landman wrote:
Wasn't the nanoblast a technology? I though it was not exactly a transformation but some kind of armor that uses the Beast rage, at least it seems to me according to the opening scene and some chapter in episode 1...

Yeah, I don't think it's a natural or true form. Anyway, I'm glad it's not because I'd expect a lot of clipping and other annoyances otherwise.

Zorafim
Apr 24, 2008, 01:39 AM
'cause then there'd be too many beasts in the game.

Behold the power of the tail.
[spoiler-box]
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/Zorafin/FFXI%20junk/Helmet.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/Zorafin/mithradrk.jpg

[/spoiler-box]

Really, I doubt tails would add much of a problem, considering some of the other accessories we have. I think the reason why they didn't add them was because it'd be too much work, considering they'd have to add in another skeleton into the model as opposed to copy-pasting the other race's models. Plus, they'd had to add in animations for the tail too. Either that, or they were adamant on making casts the best race.

Really, there's no good excuse not to add tails. The race is Beasts, they're supposed to be half animal. In essence, they're already calling for the "furry fans" (myself included, actually, despite that name being completely incorrect). The similarity between humans and newmans is acceptable, due to newmans being altered humans. Considering beasts are supposed to be half animals, and their spiritual ancestors were covered in fur anyway, giving them more than a silly poorly done nose and some cool eyes was called for.

Xaeris
Apr 24, 2008, 02:15 AM
On 2008-04-23 13:05, landman wrote:

If you use the glossary that accompanies your videophone in your room (i.e, the thing you use to check shops), you can get all sorts of little tidbits about things in Gurhal. Nanoblast is part of the beast biology, described as each blast being imprinted onto their DNA.

landman
Apr 24, 2008, 02:28 AM
On 2008-04-23 23:39, Zorafim wrote:
Really, there's no good excuse not to add tails. The race is Beasts, they're supposed to be half animal. In essence, they're already calling for the "furry fans" (myself included, actually, despite that name being completely incorrect). The similarity between humans and newmans is acceptable, due to newmans being altered humans. Considering beasts are supposed to be half animals, and their spiritual ancestors were covered in fur anyway, giving them more than a silly poorly done nose and some cool eyes was called for.

Beast are also altered humans, they have the same differences with humans that neuman have, they are not some half breed human-animal creature, this is not Phantasy Star 2 -.-

The nanoblast is in their DNA, ok, but they need the technology to unleash it, for the same reason only Beast can Nanoblast, because only them can use their rage into it.

lol I will have to check the vision phone some day

RemiusTA
Apr 24, 2008, 06:12 AM
On 2008-04-23 11:34, Gothica wrote:

Because the artist for the phantasy star universe series is unlike the wierdos in America who are attracted to animals.

If beasts had tails i would hate this game 10% more than i do now.

ErtaiClou
Apr 24, 2008, 12:07 PM
The only practical use a tail could have is for a nanoblasted female beast. The tail provides balance for those movements and attack sequence. A nanoblasted male has more of a guerilla posture, so I would assume the tail just allows them to stand upright. In non-nano form, a tail is about as useful as an extended coccyx. Even if beast did have a tail at one point, it would've been a weakness. And animating a tail would be like putting on one of the braided pigtails from the PSU hairstyles, lol.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 24, 2008, 12:37 PM
DuckTales > Beast Tails

Seority
Apr 24, 2008, 12:55 PM
Well half-human or not, every race has to be humanistic in this game, for some reason. Who'd want to play a race that's not humanistic? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif
Kinda sad they don't though. It's not like they have fur, so ppl who are into furries don't get too hyped up about it.
But it's totally ok for ppl with robo-ppl fetishes to be here. CAS-Voloyal Set anyone? (I know casts arn't really robots, but they sure as hell do look like them! Expessially when they add human looking head/faces/hair/clothes/etc. how can you deny that people with those fetishes are here?)
;P

Zorafim
Apr 24, 2008, 01:05 PM
On 2008-04-24 00:28, landman wrote:
Beast are also altered humans, they have the same differences with humans that neuman have, they are not some half breed human-animal creature, this is not Phantasy Star 2 -.-

Newmen are humans who were altered to become perfect humans. Beasts are simply humans whos DNA has been spliced with animals to add more power to them. Though similar, there is a difference. This makes beasts part animal, while newmans don't have any animal DNA in them. Thus, tails.

By the way, didn't PSO have a tail mag? If it was so easy to implement there, and so easy to implement in FFXI, I really see no reason for there to be any difficulty implementing it in PSU. I'm sure they just wanted every race to be excruciatingly human, instead of adding individuality to the races.
And food for thought, PS2 newmans had tails. Back when they were part animal, or part monster anyhow.

Libram
Apr 24, 2008, 01:45 PM
Nobody actually said anything about splicing taking place. Originally Beasts were created to be used as robust slave labor for resource gathering on Moatoob. I'm pretty sure I also remembering one of the NPCs in Ep 1 saying that the Beasts of yore could maintain a Nanoblast much longer than they could today. My guess is that the Nanoblast trait is suffering some kind of genetic degradation, and the release can only be sustained for a limited time in the current Beast generation. I'm also going to say that the Badges don't directly affect the Beast genetically. It's more a photonic amplifier that will allow the Beast to access the latent Nanoblast written into their DNA, and different patterns access different aspects of those weakened genes.

Mewnie
Apr 24, 2008, 01:45 PM
No tails. We don't need to go down that slippery slope.

First it'll be tails, then diapers and macro fetishes, then watersports and unbirthing.

Keep them contained to the dark corners of the internet, like Second Life and Furaffinity.

Zorafim
Apr 24, 2008, 02:49 PM
People really dislike half-animals, don't they? I thought the whole point of the race was for those who liked half animals.

landman
Apr 24, 2008, 02:50 PM
On 2008-04-24 11:05, Zorafim wrote:

On 2008-04-24 00:28, landman wrote:

Newmen are humans who were altered to become perfect humans. Beasts are simply humans whos DNA has been spliced with animals to add more power to them. Though similar, there is a difference. This makes beasts part animal, while newmans don't have any animal DNA in them. Thus, tails.

And where is that stated in the game? here (http://phantasystaruniverse.com/downloads_comic.php)? in Episode 2 when Nav talks about it? in this (http://www.espiokaos.com/psu_guides/psu_timeline.html)unfinished chronology on Gurhal? (xD) I don't think in any of those places is that fact stated, the only fact in the game is that Beast can breed with neuman and humans so they are as genetically different to humans as neuman are

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: landman on 2008-04-24 12:53 ]</font>

Zorafim
Apr 24, 2008, 02:53 PM
Hm, you're right. It isn't officially stated that beasts are half animals. Where did I get that, then...

RemiusTA
Apr 24, 2008, 03:06 PM
I was personally REALLY mad that Nanoblasted beasts are bipedal anyway. I mean, 2 legs and 2 arms is awesome, but i really REALLY wanted them to run on all 4's and at least double the speed.

The fact that your character shoots up to 9 feet tall and still RUNS the exact same speed as your 6 foot tall character is effing retarded.

panzer_unit
Apr 24, 2008, 03:16 PM
On 2008-04-24 12:49, Zorafim wrote:
People really dislike half-animals, don't they? I thought the whole point of the race was for those who liked half animals.

Half-animal characters used to be cool as hell until internet perverts took a steaming crap all over that. They're just creepy now, I mean jesus you can't even see a Thundercats boxed set without the sinking feeling that some sicko's probably gonna grab it for their p0rn collection.

Akaimizu
Apr 24, 2008, 03:18 PM
Like the internet doesn't do that for exactly everything else in the world.

Zorafim
Apr 24, 2008, 03:19 PM
Erm, haven't internet perverts taken a steaming crap all over everything? Even nuns aren't safe.

panzer_unit
Apr 24, 2008, 03:24 PM
Yeah... fortunately we're not also talking about nuns or any of the hundreds of other popularized fetishes where you roll your eyes and try to ignore it.

Mewnie
Apr 24, 2008, 04:32 PM
Beasts and Newmans are technically human, genetically speaking.

I suppose you could say they're a new sub-species of human?

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 24, 2008, 05:28 PM
On 2008-04-24 12:49, Zorafim wrote:
I thought the whole point of the race was for those who liked half animals.

Nah, it's for people who want HOOOOOGE DPS.

Also, complete(r) version of that timeline here: http://psupedia.info/History_of_Gurhal