PDA

View Full Version : AotI: The Origin of the Ruby Bullet handgun.

ShadowDragon28
Apr 25, 2008, 07:25 PM
Way back in the mid-80's Sega worked with Tatsunoko Productions to create the anime series "Red Photon Bullet ZILLION" Sega created laser-tag toys based on the laser pistols central to the series. A 2-D survival-action game based on the
anime was made for the Sega Master System and was one of that 8-bit consoles best games.

PSO's & PSU's "Ruby Bullet" handgun is a
re-creation/replica of "Zillion" main character J.J.'s
" Nu-Zillion Gun" as shown here:
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t127/ShadowDragon28/ruby-bullet-psu.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/22/Zillion_toy_gun.jpg

Gunslinger-08
Apr 25, 2008, 07:26 PM
Awesomeness.

chaoskila
Apr 25, 2008, 07:27 PM
ST all ways steals duh duh

ShadowDragon28
Apr 25, 2008, 07:34 PM
ST is a part of Sega, they didn't "steal" ... (-_-);

SonicTMP
Apr 25, 2008, 08:15 PM
If there is one thing about sega, they love to pay homage to all their games. And here I thought it was just a different translation of the old red handgun. Learn something new everyday.

DoubleZero
Apr 25, 2008, 08:21 PM
Still, I wait for the Opa Opa Shadoog. It's too perfect to pass up!

Reginaldo
Apr 25, 2008, 08:42 PM
Opa Opa is used in the Ascension Gift SUV. It flies out before the actual attack triggers.

ShadowDragon28
Apr 25, 2008, 08:47 PM
Opa-opa (a shadoog or madoog would be awesome too...)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjqAd5tZLZA&feature=related

TresIngram
Apr 25, 2008, 09:11 PM
I didn't even know that.

Proff
Apr 25, 2008, 09:13 PM
On 2008-04-25 18:15, SonicTMP wrote:
If there is one thing about sega, they love to pay homage to all their games. And here I thought it was just a different translation of the old red handgun. Learn something new everyday.

Ruby Bullet was also in PSO.

SonicTMP
Apr 25, 2008, 09:21 PM
On 2008-04-25 19:13, Proff wrote:

On 2008-04-25 18:15, SonicTMP wrote:

Ruby Bullet was also in PSO.

Never saw it myself. Thus more learning.

RadHaz
Apr 25, 2008, 09:55 PM
I had Zillion on the master system. Yes, I'm that old, lol

Speaking of Opa-Opa, anyone ever play Fantasy Zone with a trackball turbo controller? It was awesome fun.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RadHaz on 2008-04-25 19:58 ]</font>

TresIngram
Apr 25, 2008, 09:56 PM
Same here i heard about it but never saw it.

Complex_Jao
Apr 25, 2008, 09:57 PM
are there any other weps that have a back story

TresIngram
Apr 26, 2008, 02:08 PM
yea i heard about that myself sound like they're trying to be greedy if you ask me.

BigshowPat
Apr 26, 2008, 03:15 PM
Very nice!

Danny_Dark
Apr 26, 2008, 03:17 PM
Well...thats a nice One.

Zorafim
Apr 26, 2008, 03:20 PM
But did it shoot rubies?

Proto07
Apr 26, 2008, 03:46 PM
<3 my Twin Ruby Bullet.

Kerry157
Apr 26, 2008, 07:14 PM
Zillion was not easy x_x

Zarode
Apr 26, 2008, 07:18 PM
The Zillion can shoot a Kajillion volts of awesome at a person, and cause their head to explode. :>

TresIngram
Apr 26, 2008, 10:07 PM
Is that a fact or are you joking??

enoch
Apr 26, 2008, 10:15 PM
sonic team did it again...maybe they should start doing it some more....

Kerry157
Apr 26, 2008, 10:33 PM
On 2008-04-25 19:57, Complex_Jao wrote:

Yes. Particularly the psycho wand. Its from Phantasy Star IV on the Sega Genesis//Megadrive. Here's some screens I took getting the Psycho Wand while playing it.

http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=171509&forum=23&17

(The Psycho Wand is a special item you need to get to disable a certain enemy's defense barrier that makes them invincible. After tou get it you can disable his barrier and defeat him...if he doesnt kill u).

Broodstar1337
Apr 27, 2008, 03:48 AM
And I bought a Twin Ruby Bullet in someone's player shop for 100K.

TresIngram
Apr 27, 2008, 09:46 AM
really huh

Kerry157
Apr 27, 2008, 11:09 AM
i bought a psycho wand with 3 used napkins

Dragwind
Apr 27, 2008, 11:49 AM
I had a Ruby handgun squirtgun as a kid. <:O

TresIngram
Apr 28, 2008, 08:39 PM
On 2008-04-27 09:49, Dragwind wrote:
I had a Ruby handgun squirtgun as a kid. <:O

I'm gressing that was a longtime ago right??

ThEoRy
Apr 29, 2008, 12:24 AM
On 2008-04-26 20:33, Kerry157 wrote:

On 2008-04-25 19:57, Complex_Jao wrote:

Yes. Particularly the psycho wand. Its from Phantasy Star IV on the Sega Genesis//Megadrive. Here's some screens I took getting the Psycho Wand while playing it.

http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=171509&forum=23&17

(The Psycho Wand is a special item you need to get to disable a certain enemy's defense barrier that makes them invincible. After tou get it you can disable his barrier and defeat him...if he doesnt kill u).

actually the psycho wand originated in 1987 on the sega master systems Phantasy Star 1. Heres the US box art.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t193/RickTheory/cover1main.jpg

ahhh yeah, there it is on the left, ahhh yeah.

Weeaboolits
Apr 29, 2008, 12:33 AM
Wasn't it just called Wand in one of them?

Zorafim
Apr 29, 2008, 01:04 AM
The Fal(rika) claw and the Nei claw are both named after the newmen from PSIV and PSII, respectively.
Rappies appeared as random enemies in PSIII, being the only menacing looking enemy in the game.
Spread Needle may be based off of Odin's Needle Gun from PSI, which was the second most damaging gun he got, I believe. Despite this, it only targeted one enemy.
Slicers were originally boomerangs, traditionally dual wielded, and first appeared in PSII.
The Elsydeon was first seen as the most devastating sword (and weapon) in PSIV, complete with holy elemental properties and a chance of instant death when attacking. It is believed that this sword was made from the Nei Sword used in PSII, which was a powered up version of the lacanium sword in PSI.
Grand Cross was the name of one of the more damaging and useful dual techs in PSIV, involving the spellcaster to use a holy elemental spell (not tech), and the swordsman to use a cross shaped attack. It only worked against dark enemies.

Swords have been seen in every PS game since the original, as have claws and rods.
Axes were seen in the original game, but haven't made a second appearance until PSIV, by arguably the worst character in the game.
Guns were in every game, and had unique properties compared to striking weapons in that they only did a certain number of damage every attack. This was finally changed in PSIV. In PSII, guns were seen as smaller handguns, larger single target guns, and spread guns. The handguns, if dual wielded, could spread their damage against two enemies by first attacking one, then another. The single target guns worked the same way, but shot in one big burst against one target. The spread guns targeted every enemy of the same type. PSIII only had the single target, while PSIV had the spread and the single.
Slicers and daggers made their first appearance in PSII, both being dual wielded (though could be used with shields). Slicers attacked all enemies of the same type in PSII, all enemies on the same row in PSIII, and all enemies on screen in PSIV. Daggers were the worst weapons in the series, being useful only for characters that could use nothing else.
Newmen were only seen in PSII and PSIV, both being melee characters with a supportive side. In PSI, the newman character was an actual cat, who species was seen again in PSII and in PSIV as NPCs. They required a special item to communicate with them in PSII, but not in PSIV. The elder muskcat in PSIV gave your group a weapon that, I believe, was the first muskcat's best weapon in PSI.
Androids were seen in every game, but were nothing more than robots until PSIII. In this game, there were two androids that accompanied you through the game; a male gun using android which used offensive techs, and a female claw using android which used supportive techs. It wasn't until PSIV that androids were not able to use techs, and this was rectified by them having skills which acted like techs.
The best offensive tech users were humans. Dedicated healers were fairly rare.
Dark Force always works through a medium, and tends to hide inside boxes or secret rooms.

Both parts of "Longing for Ancient Times," "Tricktrack," and "Nostalgia in Solitude" used songs from PSI, PSII, and PSIII, where Nostalgia in Solitude PSIII songs and the other two used both PSI and PSII songs.

Are those enough facts for you?

panzer_unit
Apr 29, 2008, 12:41 PM
I loved playing Zillion as a kid, it was an awesome game... getting codes and opening rooms.
The sequel had some cool looking stuff but it was just a side-scroller and not as fun.

I thought "Spread Needle" was the first or second gun Odin had in PSI.

Fluorescent Bulbs (as they are in PSU) were invented in the 1940's but I don't think they've been sold directly by SEGA or included in any video games unless they're a reference to LASR BAR, which is the strongest weapon Nei gets to use in PSII

lokey013
Apr 29, 2008, 01:04 PM
Ah wow....didn't know Sega really put in the Nostalgia factor in PSO/PSU....kinda neat though....makes me appreciate the weapons more ^_~

Zorafim
Apr 29, 2008, 01:05 PM
The needle gun was indeed the second gun that Odin got. It was also the second to last gun he got. There weren't alot of guns in the game...

As for Nei's weapon, she actually used claws. BAR is just a mistranslation, or censorship, or something. So, her best weapon would have simply been a generic laser type weapon. I think Sega's just making a goofy weapon off the top of their heads.

panzer_unit
Apr 29, 2008, 01:10 PM
lol I'd always imagined her beating crap up with metal pipes like some common street thug. It might have been mistranslated from Claw to Nail to "well nails aren't very big, we should call it a bar dur hur hur the one stuck through my head hurts like hell"

I'm sure Odin actually got a gun called "Spread Needle" but the only PSI I played was a ROM on PC. It mighta been slightly haxored, who knows.

Kerry157
Apr 29, 2008, 01:13 PM
On 2008-04-28 23:04, Zorafim wrote:

Grand Cross was the name of one of the more damaging and useful dual techs in PSIV, involving the spellcaster to use a holy elemental spell (not tech), and the swordsman to use a cross shaped attack. It only worked against dark enemies.

Nitpick:

Grand Cross worked on all enemies. Additionally Rune's Effess was not a holy attack. It trapped enemies and summoned ethereal beings to attack them.

Also with the expeption of the pso and psu games, the spelling 'Numan' was used. There are no Newmans before pso/psu

Seority
Apr 29, 2008, 01:22 PM
I'm glad they are coming out with some kind of new things that are like that. I think we should get the "Real Handgun" and other parodity things as such more.

TresIngram
Apr 29, 2008, 03:10 PM
I agree with you on that

Ken_Silver
Apr 29, 2008, 03:43 PM
I like how Sonic team knows how to work its history. Too bad they don't put that kind of effort into their games now.

Sega, you have potiental, use it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif

MiniBrian
Apr 29, 2008, 08:44 PM
lol its good to now that one of the rare guns is just based on a toy http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

TresIngram
Apr 29, 2008, 11:04 PM
Hmmm i see

Zorafim
Apr 29, 2008, 11:23 PM
On 2008-04-29 18:44, MiniBrian wrote:
lol its good to now that one of the rare guns is just based on a toy http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

I don't know about you, but I'd instantly jump on fortegunner if I could use a superscope.

KaffeKane
May 3, 2008, 08:13 AM
Even so, it's always gonna be "ULTIMATE RARE". XD

TresIngram
May 3, 2008, 03:31 PM
yea you got a point on that.

Kerry157
May 6, 2008, 08:50 AM
Regarding Ruby Bullet Weapons:

The damage is caused by Ruby Bullets is deterministic, ie, has no variance. This is useful if you want to calculate some damage formulas for your character, assuming you estimate an enemy's DFP well enough.

Neoptolemus
May 6, 2008, 11:27 AM
Not weapon based, but the three beetle decorations are from the SEGA arcade game Mushi King. The arcade game features collectible cards that you can scan into the machine, giving you different types of beetles (such as Stag Beetle) and different types of attacks (such as Tornado Throw). If you look at the decoration, you can see a card from the arcade game right on the front of it. Pretty nifty, if you ask me!

http://www.segaarcade.com/images/games/mushiking/pr-cabinet.jpg

http://www.segaarcade.com/images/games/mushiking/pr-cards.jpg

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Neoptolemus on 2008-05-06 09:30 ]</font>

chaostroop3
May 6, 2008, 12:02 PM
On 2008-05-06 09:27, Neoptolemus wrote:
Not weapon based, but the three beetle decorations are from the SEGA arcade game Mushi King. The arcade game features collectible cards that you can scan into the machine, giving you different types of beetles (such as Stag Beetle) and different types of attacks (such as Tornado Throw). If you look at the decoration, you can see a card from the arcade game right on the front of it. Pretty nifty, if you ask me!

http://www.segaarcade.com/images/games/mushiking/pr-cabinet.jpg

http://www.segaarcade.com/images/games/mushiking/pr-cards.jpg

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Neoptolemus on 2008-05-06 09:30 ]</font>
intresting

TresIngram
May 6, 2008, 02:42 PM
Hmm Interesting

KusanagiShiro
Apr 18, 2015, 06:36 PM
Hate to necrobump but the Zillion anime series is actually quite good. I have the soundtracks to it and I also have seen the whole series subbed.