PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Phantasy Star Portable release date set!

EspioKaos
Apr 26, 2008, 03:49 PM
http://www.g-heaven.net/pso/topics/080426a.html
http://item.rakuten.co.jp/edigi-game/jan-4974365900335/

From Shougai PSO and Rakuten, we've got a Japanese release date for Phantasy Star Portable. It's set to hit Japanese store shelves July 31, 2008! Aside from a release date, some other new information on the game has been revealed.
There are plans to possibly link PSP with the PC/PS2 version of AOTI's network mode which might allow you to transfer your online character data to the PSP version of the game. Note operative words: "possibly" and "might." (About as bad as a Kubara weapon, eh?)
A special mission for both the PC/PS2 version of AOTI and the PSP version of PSP will be released to commemorate the release of PSP.
The choices you make throughout PSP's story mode will reflect on the ending you receive. There will be multiple possible endings.
Over 1500 items will be present in PSP, including many from PSU and AOTI.
Item drop methods will be undergoing a change, but specifics have not been released.
Illustrated item and enemy reference sections will be included.
Your personal mission history (grades, clear times, etc. I'd imagine) will be recorded.
Specifics are unknown, but it's possible that a "title" system may be implemented.
Downloadable missions will be introduced with this game.

Lamak
Apr 26, 2008, 03:59 PM
This game sounds pretty good. Hopefully I'll be able to transfer my character. ;p Can't wait until it releases.

furrypaws
Apr 26, 2008, 04:00 PM
O.O

I've been waiting for this information forever. THank you.

Zorafim
Apr 26, 2008, 04:03 PM
Huh... That doesn't sound too bad, actually. Though, because it's on the PSP, I won't be able to see it...

Skuda
Apr 26, 2008, 04:34 PM
Now that I actually have a PSP now, I think I'll be picking this up.

Dragwind
Apr 26, 2008, 04:41 PM
Oh wow, that sounds pretty killer. That game will never leave my PSP, no doubt about that. Thanks for the easy to find info, as always Espio. You've made my day with this news. *dusts off PSP in anticipation*

Libram
Apr 26, 2008, 04:51 PM
I'd be surprised if someone actually did this, but an idea I've had for monster drops in any MMO is to have the regular percentage chance, then have a guaranteed drop following that. Say something has a 1% chance of dropping. After 100 kills another counter starts for each following monster you kill. You still have the 1% chance at finding the item, but if you still don't and the other counter reaches a limit then the game is forced to drop whatever you've been hunting. I'd set the guarantee counter to be something like 10x or 20x the normal drop chance, so in my previous example you'd need to kill 1000 or 2000 enemies.

pikachief
Apr 26, 2008, 05:44 PM
downloadable missions? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

ggrrr the PSP can do it but the console versions cant lol -_-

Rayokarna
Apr 26, 2008, 05:59 PM
Best news all day.

Chaobo99
Apr 26, 2008, 06:22 PM
On 2008-04-26 15:44, pikachief wrote:
downloadable missions? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

ggrrr the PSP can do it but the console versions cant lol -_-

Lol Tell me about it >.>

Kinako78
Apr 26, 2008, 09:09 PM
On 2008-04-26 13:49, EspioKaos wrote:
Downloadable missions will be introduced with this game.[/list]

Bring back Central Dome Fire Swirl!!!!

*looks around to see everyone staring* What? I can dream, can't I?

Chuck_Norris
Apr 26, 2008, 09:25 PM
On 2008-04-26 14:41, Dragwind wrote:
Oh wow, that sounds pretty killer. That game will never leave my PSP, no doubt about that. Thanks for the easy to find info, as always Espio. You've made my day with this news. *dusts off PSP in anticipation*

Pretty much what he said. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

mvffin
Apr 26, 2008, 10:14 PM
I wish I could read japanese. Import version wouldn't happen to have english option?

= (

Zantra
Apr 27, 2008, 12:47 AM
It actually sounds pretty cool. It's almost like pso and psu's best parts are being mixed together for this game. With downloadable missions, 4 player offline, a fully unlocked offline mode, and the multiple endings sound really interesting. I wanna join the SEED.

Mysterious-G
Apr 27, 2008, 01:16 AM
On 2008-04-26 22:47, Zantra wrote:
join the SEED.

I think we won`t have the chance to do this.
Only endings with you on the good side. >_>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mysterious-G on 2008-04-26 23:17 ]</font>

Infiniteque
Apr 27, 2008, 01:26 PM
Are there any pics of this game?

EspioKaos
Apr 27, 2008, 01:30 PM
http://phantasystar.sega.jp/psp/

Ken_Silver
Apr 27, 2008, 01:39 PM
This is going to rock. I'm thankful that there will be a benefit to playing on the PC/PS2 version of PSU.

Sega's doing something good again... Should we expect some bad news now?

Hope not. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Zantra
Apr 27, 2008, 04:26 PM
I wouldn't be suprised if the connectivity was only hooking your PSP up to a PS2 or a PC, and then transfering your saved Characters from offline AOI, to Phantasy Star Portable. But, if it means that we don't have to start all over again from scratch, i'm all for it.

landman
Apr 27, 2008, 06:33 PM
PS2 hardware can't connect to PSP, so maybe this transfer will be online, in which case it could be possible from any server of any version of the game... maybe.

ironman24682
Apr 28, 2008, 01:20 AM
The PS2 can connect to the PSP through the USB cable, this was done before in some games like Daxter for the PSP in which it connected with Jak X Combat racing for the PS2 to get a mod for your bike in the PSP game.

mvffin
Apr 28, 2008, 01:24 AM
I just hope its not like the GC/GBA connection with PSO.

AnamanaAU
Apr 28, 2008, 01:39 AM
Will be an awesome handheld action RPG to step up to after Ring of Fates.

landman
Apr 28, 2008, 01:59 AM
On 2008-04-27 23:20, ironman24682 wrote:
The PS2 can connect to the PSP through the USB cable, this was done before in some games like Daxter for the PSP in which it connected with Jak X Combat racing for the PS2 to get a mod for your bike in the PSP game.

Hmmm yes, and I also forgot about Outrun 2 connection

Mewnie
Apr 28, 2008, 02:26 AM
Interesting.

Right now, I'm playing Wild Arms XF, but there's not much else out there that's really got my interest.

Here's hoping PSP comes across the pond.

Alizarin
Apr 28, 2008, 02:46 AM
On 2008-04-28 00:26, Mewnie wrote:
Interesting.

Right now, I'm playing Wild Arms XF, but there's not much else out there that's really got my interest.

Here's hoping PSP comes across the pond.

Here's also hoping that they actually do carry out the character transfer. If it doesn't end up coming over anytime soon, at least PSPs can play games of either region.

AnamanaAU
Apr 28, 2008, 03:01 AM
Japan onry.

KaffeKane
Apr 28, 2008, 08:16 AM
On 2008-04-26 13:49, EspioKaos wrote:
http://www.g-heaven.net/pso/topics/080426a.html

From Shougai PSO and Rakuten, we've got a Japanese release date for Phantasy Star Portable. It's set to hit Japanese store shelves July 31, 2008! Aside from a release date, some other new information on the game has been revealed.
There are plans to possibly link PSP with the PC/PS2 version of AOTI's network mode which might allow you to transfer your online character data to the PSP version of the game. Note operative words: "possibly" and "might." (About as bad as a Kubara weapon, eh?)
A special mission for both the PC/PS2 version of AOTI and the PSP version of PSP will be released to commemorate the release of PSP.
The choices you make throughout PSP's story mode will reflect on the ending you receive. There will be multiple possible endings.
Over 1500 items will be present in PSP, including many from PSU and AOTI.
Item drop methods will be undergoing a change, but specifics have not been released.
Illustrated item and enemy reference sections will be included.
Your personal mission history (grades, clear times, etc. I'd imagine) will be recorded.
Specifics are unknown, but it's possible that a "title" system may be implemented.
Downloadable missions will be introduced with this game.

ORLYORLYORLYORLYORLYORLYORLYORLYORLYORLYORLYORLYOR LY
ORLYORLYORLYORLYORLYORLYORLYORLYORLYORLYORLYORLYOR LY
ORLYORLYORLYORLYORLYORLYORLYORLY?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!? !?!
?!?!?!?!?!?!!11!?!?!!?!?!?11/12/1!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?

NOW I'M FREAKING GLAD I GOT A PSP!!! *dances and celebrates*

And to the person who says "Japan onry"...you know now many fans over here they'll be pissing off if they don't make it come round to our shores? >_>

I might end up importing it if it doesn't come state-side, just so I can have something to practice self-study of Japanese, and yet another PSP game to lub. :3

EDIT: July 31, 08? Haaapy birthday to meeee...even though it's later than my birthday. >_> ...lol

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KaffeKane on 2008-04-28 06:18 ]</font>

MEIRA-EDIT: What the hell is wrong with you! No table stretching!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HUnewearl_Meira on 2008-05-08 14:43 ]</font>

DarK-SuN
Apr 28, 2008, 12:15 PM
That's awesome!
I've been waiting for more news about PSP for the PSP (hah!), and here they are, all great news. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif
Thanks Espio!

Zorafim
Apr 28, 2008, 12:23 PM
Inb4 2 year delay

Why is this page so stretched out?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zorafim on 2008-04-28 10:40 ]</font>

YUKI_N
Apr 28, 2008, 12:42 PM
Dunno why people are getting so excited over a game thats JP only and so far looks to have even less new content than AOI, 1 new boss that looks like a dragon reskin and 2 new npcs, awesome

Watch them try to port and pass this game off as the next expansion too

Mike
Apr 29, 2008, 01:37 AM
I see many possiblities for cheating with linking.

_Vyser_
Apr 29, 2008, 03:58 AM
The new boss looks like Akantor, the final boss, from Monster Hunter Freedom/Portable 2 ~_~;

SpikeOtacon
Apr 29, 2008, 04:06 AM
I don't see the point in bothering when I can't read what is going on.

I always thought a portable Phantasy Star Online would rock, and when the DS and PSP both came with online capabilities it had my hopes up. Shame we ended up with a portable PSU that's japan only.

landman
Apr 29, 2008, 07:59 AM
On 2008-04-28 23:37, Mike wrote:
I see many possiblities for cheating with linking.

You will provably not be able to transfer from PSP to PS2, it will provably be only PS2 to PSP

gratefulgriz
Apr 29, 2008, 10:18 AM
I personally would like to see a DS Phantasy Star title come out that has nothing to do with PSU or explores a side story. The PS series has a lot to offer gamers and should be producing way more titles. Not overboard like the FF series, but there should be some more options for PS players to explore the franchise asides from PSU. It would give the series more attention and diversify its player base.

Saigan
Apr 29, 2008, 11:34 AM
On 2008-04-29 02:06, SpikeOtacon wrote:
I don't see the point in bothering when I can't read what is going on.

I always thought a portable Phantasy Star Online would rock, and when the DS and PSP both came with online capabilities it had my hopes up. Shame we ended up with a portable PSU that's japan only.

It doesn't say anywhere that this is a japan only release, just that the NA and EU versions are "TBA". I wouldn't panic until the western versions lose the TBA status.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saigan on 2008-04-29 09:35 ]</font>

panzer_unit
Apr 29, 2008, 01:49 PM
Character transfer, downloadable missions, and changed weapon drop / synth game systems are interesting to me.

Mike
May 2, 2008, 05:53 AM
On 2008-04-29 05:59, landman wrote:
You will provably not be able to transfer from PSP to PS2, it will provably be only PS2 to PSP

I hadn't thought of it like that. That would make it more or less cheat free on the PS2 end.

Reipard
May 2, 2008, 01:17 PM
Transferring back to PC/PS2 can't happen anyway. The two have incompatible class and skill setups. Likely, your PC/PS2 char undergoes a conversion and a copy is saved on PSP with rough equivalents as far as class/skill go.

Zantra
May 2, 2008, 01:52 PM
It's probably just transfering your AOTI characters from offline storymode. And, it might just be the way that they look, and nothing else, so that you don't have to go back, and painstakingly try to recreate them again. Of course, this is just pure speculation on my part.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zantra on 2008-05-02 11:52 ]</font>

Katrina
May 2, 2008, 02:12 PM
I've been looking for an excuse to buy a PSP, and between PS Portable, Crisis Core, and Final Fantasy Tactics I think I'll be getting one soon

Darsh
May 2, 2008, 02:31 PM
This game, "IF" it comes out here, will do one of two things. One, upset people to the point of having fits of depression and tantrums do the FACK up streek of sega.(We know they are human but stupidity is not an excuse.) Or two, they are goin to some how pull off a miracle that hasnt come from sega in the last decade and give the masses a truly fantastic reason to owne a psp!!!

I am personally hopeing for the latter but, ive learned to remain pesemistic. -_-

SubstanceD
May 3, 2008, 03:59 AM
There is a part of me that's really excited about playing PSU on my PSP but there is also a part of me that's kind of given up on PSU. I already know that PSU portable is going to be different from PSU AOI but i still much rather wait untill more info on this game comes out. The truth of the matter is, I don't play PSU AOI half as much as I thought I would. To me the PSU games are lacking somthing that PSO had and as such I not getting as much replay value out of the PSU series.

KaffeKane
May 3, 2008, 08:20 AM
On 2008-04-28 10:23, Zorafim wrote:
Why is this page so stretched out?
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zorafim on 2008-04-28 10:40 ]</font>

That would be my fault, in case you didn't read my post. XD

Hiroko
May 3, 2008, 11:20 AM
*hoping that a US player can transfer data to the JPN game* http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Atomic646
May 3, 2008, 11:26 AM
lol playing psu in the mall. that would be cool.

Hiroko
May 3, 2008, 11:33 AM
@ CaffeCane --- PSP titles are region free, so you can play PSU Portable on any type of PSP. As for the language...At least it seems everything is in simpler Japanese...so good luck! o.o;

Syaoran2
May 3, 2008, 12:18 PM
I would pick this game up if I could get my character from the 360 version onto it... but I can't. So in other words, screw that.

EspioKaos
May 5, 2008, 06:23 AM
http://www.yodobashi.com/enjoy/more/i/86922755.html

^ A new (small) piece of PSP artwork above.

KaffeKane
May 5, 2008, 08:51 AM
On 2008-05-03 09:33, Hiroko wrote:
@ CaffeCane --- PSP titles are region free, so you can play PSU Portable on any type of PSP. As for the language...At least it seems everything is in simpler Japanese...so good luck! o.o;

I figured that they'd be region-free since you can switch your menu language on any PSP, anyway.

Simpler Japanese meaning hiragana/katakana and no kanji, right? That'd make my ability to read those two kinds of phonetics and translate the words as I learn them easier, I hope. If not, I'll need to buy a kanji dictionary to aid in my self-study.

And thanks for wishing me luck. I've been rather unmotivated to study the past few months because of my situation.

Still, I'm heading on back to Kansas City on May 11, so I should be able to get a PC or a laptop fairly soon after that! :3

Zorafim
May 5, 2008, 09:09 AM
On 2008-05-05 04:23, EspioKaos wrote:
http://www.yodobashi.com/enjoy/more/i/86922755.html

^ A new (small) piece of PSP artwork above.

Is that the cover art? That alone looks so much better than anything we've seen yet.

EspioKaos
May 5, 2008, 09:15 AM
On 2008-05-05 07:09, Zorafim wrote:
Is that the cover art? That alone looks so much better than anything we've seen yet.

I'm hoping it is. I really, really love it. But if it turns out to not be the cover for the game, I could see if being used for something like the promotional telephone cards being given out by Sofmap.

EspioKaos
May 7, 2008, 08:48 AM
http://www.g-heaven.net/pso/topics/080507a.html

^ Sweet. Looks like it is the cover art. Still no larger image, but I'm sure we'll get one soon.

In other news, the game has received its rating by CERO: type B, recommended for people 12 and older. (I know, not the most exciting news. I mainly just wanted to show the "complete" cover.)

alazar14
May 7, 2008, 11:13 AM
Lol looks like a cool game, I cant wait untill ITS official forums is full of trolls saying how much it sucks or showing off how they hacked it/ glitched it.

Hiroko
May 7, 2008, 11:20 AM
@KaffeKane --- There are a few kanji from what I noticed, shouldn't be too bad w/ a Kanji dictionary though... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

gratefulgriz
May 8, 2008, 12:37 PM
i think PSU on the PSP is retarded. Sega should branch out and make side PS games to encourage fan base... i mean enough people are wasting their time playing useless offline mode (the story is decent for all yall about to hate), and could totally profit off of portable PSP and DS games that focus on side stories involving the PS universe and characters

Kylie
May 8, 2008, 12:42 PM
Whoa, this will be tied to PC / PS2 a good bit then, huh? That's neat, and it's also neat that there'll be downloadable missions. I'm intrigued. This might turn out to be better than the actual PSU. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

gratefulgriz
May 8, 2008, 12:44 PM
i am in doubt, doubting, and pretty much ensured ST will leave out lots of desired bits that make PS so unique and desirable

Alizarin
May 8, 2008, 12:54 PM
On 2008-05-08 10:44, gratefulgriz wrote:
i am in doubt, doubting, and pretty much ensured ST will leave out lots of desired bits that make PS so unique and desirable

Except... ST isn't doing this. Alfa Systems is taking the development position for this one. Whether that makes a difference will be up to them. I do like what else they've done, however.

Though looking at more information ST may still have a hand in it. Either way I'm looking forward to how it turns out.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alizarin on 2008-05-08 11:00 ]</font>

Seority
May 8, 2008, 01:08 PM
Time to buy a PSP!
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

SabZero
May 8, 2008, 01:11 PM
Thinking the same thing Seority... If they'd make a bundled version, I'd be all over it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif PSPs are getting cheap now, yes?

panzer_unit
May 8, 2008, 01:16 PM
On 2008-05-08 10:44, gratefulgriz wrote:

Light Sabers
Planets and space ships
Robots
Androids
Catgirls
Borrow ideas from some recent PC RPGs and port to console
CONGRATS YOU HAVE A PS TITLE! They aren't hard.

Proto07
May 8, 2008, 01:16 PM
On 2008-05-08 11:08, Seority wrote:
Time to buy a PSP!
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

I'm holding off on that in case they announce a special PSP PSP bundle.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Proto07 on 2008-05-08 11:21 ]</font>

Akaimizu
May 8, 2008, 01:20 PM
Funny enough, as much as I like Phantasy Star, that's a pretty darn accurrate group of cliffnotes there, panzer. The only thing not included is how the story would play out.

And don't forget. There is one major thing you HAVE to have in Phantasy Star.

Phantasy Fact: That Cakes can never be properly prepared, up above sea-level, and in a typical oven. Oh no. That would ruin the cake. Instead, always prepare your cakes in conditions fit for below sea-level. Dungeons or underground cave situations work best. Note: if you are a cake chef and are seen above ground, you will be ridiculed.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2008-05-08 11:21 ]</font>

panzer_unit
May 8, 2008, 01:21 PM
On 2008-05-08 11:20, Akaimizu wrote:
Funny enough, as much as I like Phantasy Star, that's a pretty darn accurrate group of cliffnotes there, panzer. The only thing not included is how the story would play out.

And don't forget. There is one major thing you HAVE to have in Phantasy Star.

Phantasy Fact: That Cakes can never be properly prepared, up above sea-level, and in a typical oven.

oops, tab/enter key probs.

Story? Leme guess:

monsters are attacking our town
a bunch of world-threatening stuff has turned evil!
beat up robots on another planet
OH NOES ITS DARK FORCE DOING EVERYTHING, get him

Break into as many fetch quests and heavy-handed human drama moments as you can think of in a single brainstorming bender before passing out.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: panzer_unit on 2008-05-08 11:32 ]</font>

Akaimizu
May 8, 2008, 01:32 PM
I'll add in one more thing. Character tragedy. You have to have at least one prominent character die throughout the story, and make a big mess of it. That's a needed formula particularly since Phantasy Star 2. Funny enough, in PS2, they even kind of summarized that as the thing to expect in these storys, in text narrative form. Looking back at it, it almost reads as if it's a part of a PS story standards manual.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2008-05-08 11:34 ]</font>

panzer_unit
May 8, 2008, 01:42 PM
On 2008-05-08 11:32, Akaimizu wrote:
Funny enough, in PS2, they even kind of summarized that as the thing to expect in these storys, in text narrative form. Looking back at it, it almost reads as if it's a part of a PS story standards manual.

Phantasy Star is all one formula... I'd complain if it wasn't so tasty.

I was saying in a game a while ago that I'd love to see PSU:Generations of Doom. After every event you choose which opposite-gender character you want to have children with and boom there's your new character. Now you have to level up just to use all your hand-me-down gear.

Akaimizu
May 8, 2008, 01:43 PM
Would be interesting. Kind of funny how so many developers have started to try to make a game like that, but that feature always ends up on the cutting-room floor. Always.

Urtri
May 8, 2008, 02:22 PM
Really looking forward to this (i already have a PSP for MHF2, Locoroco and Popotan) but what iam really looking forward to is finding out What that Rifle the Caseal on the box Art is holding (Red Rifle so a return of Red Weapons maybe O.O)

DarK-SuN
May 14, 2008, 09:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouMEZ85J1rI
Phantasy Star Portable's JP trailer.
Has some interesting scenes, good to see the game in motion, not just in pictures. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif