PDA

View Full Version : MAG: An early retirement for alts?

Cracka_J
Apr 28, 2008, 11:33 AM
This is an issue I found myself struggling for over the weekend...level alt characters or maintain leaderboard status with a main?

Personally, I found the general enjoyment of the competition to take away ANY fun I was getting while playing alts for brief points in time. Really, the only thing going through my head was "great, I'm leveling alts, but lowering chances at s-needle".

Yes, I know there will be another needle available at a later date. The fact is though, jp servers don't even have it yet, so who knows how long you will have to wait if you want it?

So after the initial weekend I am dead borderline on retiring my alts, selling my equips for them, and focusing only on my main. Not only for mag, but just in general in the future. I have more fun playing my main, feel like I fit more in a party, and feel like I contribute more in general when I play my main.

I really don't know...
What do you guys think? My good alts are both over 120 and I have a 4th at 60 some odd levels. Seems like a lot of effort to just retire them, but I just don't have the time to focus on them anymore.

Anduril
Apr 28, 2008, 11:36 AM
Well since I was never intending to try and get the Spread Needle/G I haven't had to deal with this. In fact I had a great time this weekend leveling up my Caseal from lv5 to lv48. I would say that you shouldn't get rid of your alts, since there may be a time in the future when you may regret it, and may want to use them sometime again in the future.

beatrixkiddo
Apr 28, 2008, 11:37 AM
Well I won't retire mine, but I have no desire to level them in this event after seeing how fierce the Kill Ranking competition is.

SpikeOtacon
Apr 28, 2008, 11:39 AM
I'm not too concerned about getting a spread needle, even though I want one I know I can't possibly expect to get on the leaderboards. I just have too many other things to do that aren't PSU to be making even 20442 kills (which is, at the time of this post, the #500 score on the leaderboards) let alone in the hundreds of thousands. I probably have less than half of that with both my main and alt combined. And while we may end up losing a lot of people over GTA4, the die hards will still be die hards and I think there are at least 500 of them to keep me well off the board.

So I play with my alt a lot, i've almost got him tied up with my main.

Mikura
Apr 28, 2008, 11:39 AM
Save your alts. You'll most likely feel like playing them after MAG. For now, just grind with your main and good luck. :3

Sexy_Raine
Apr 28, 2008, 11:45 AM
Fuck that, I'd never ditch my Nova, I like her too much. And besides all offense techs at lv40 is bigger bragging rights than being in the top 500

Honestly Cracka, I don't think it's worth it. Esp. if they're already high leveled.

majan
Apr 28, 2008, 11:45 AM
fuuuuuuuck thaaaaaat

after capping both main and alt(I view them both as mains,but for the sake of discussion..) Im probably going to continue running S rank as long as my friends need help and I need mission points, but after that Ill be leveling PA's on C rank because of hte sheer amount of monsters and with the Master Class PA cap increase. that will help our score and help me level my shit faster so as far as Im concerned everyone wins. once program DF comes out,I'll be getting some uber rarz,along with the rest of everybody else. once I have those,I'll be back to killing monsters. Iwouldnt expect much different from anyone else. let the chips fall how they may with the leaderboard who really even gives a porcupine's pubic hair anyway.

Zorafim
Apr 28, 2008, 11:52 AM
I'm quite sure I won't level Zola after this event, so I'm doing my best to get her to a decent level (after I get everything with Levia, of course). Considering I got ten levels with her in one day, I'm sure I can get Zola to an acceptable level. Plus, acrofighter fits me much more than acrotecher, so I may just have fun with Zola afterall.
though I could just level acrofighter on Levia and be done with it...

If you don't care about leaderboards, whole new worlds open up for you. It really is a shame that they don't come per account instead of per character, though.

amtalx
Apr 28, 2008, 11:59 AM
If I can get Daelan to a point where I feel comfortable he won't slip off the board entirely, I'll work on my alt. After all, killing lots monsters always yields EXP, but it won't always get you a Spread Needle. I can always level my alt later.

Cracka_J
Apr 28, 2008, 12:00 PM
I guess it will all depend on how far I slip during the work week. I can in no way be 100% devoted to this event. I have a full time job, a wife, and regular things that need to get done every week. I suppose if I can stay on the boards after 1 work week, I'll likely retire them (not delete them http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif I need my 4 pm's). If I can't, I'll keep them active and get them to cap during the event.

I guess my main argument is that my main overpowers my alts in every way, shape, and form...and leaves me with no real desire to play them. I've had fun with them in the past couple years, but to me I think it's time I say adios and focus myself with 1 char.

As for techs, Ima be sad about that too when the pa balance hits. Nearly all mine are capped as well, but that prolly won't be as impressive once that hits. It's ok though, that just means MF can have a enjoyable ride from 41-50 without wanting to /wrists.

Chanhopper
Apr 28, 2008, 12:02 PM
Imo I'd keep the alts, because honestly after a while running C with your main gets really boring. I was doing that for a while with my main and I just became annoyed. The xp and mp available is too good to pass up for an SN. Would I like an SN? Of course but other things going on are preventing that. So honestly, keep up with your alts. The top 500 competition is so competitive that no one can afford to let up and we haven't even gone through a week of the event yet -.-

Megalomax
Apr 28, 2008, 12:06 PM
Winter Event 24 Hours got to 100 other 400 for fun mad e anew char

LaughingMan
Apr 28, 2008, 12:10 PM
I had to can my FighGunner alt since my main was an AF and since they nerfed chiki had to take all my FiG weps and place them on my main for now http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif.

gryphonvii
Apr 28, 2008, 12:25 PM
you can grind on your main and get a shotgun with decent damage or you can level 4 characters that can do infinitely more damage than one wep, thats how I see it for me.

panzer_unit
Apr 28, 2008, 12:37 PM
I retired all my alts when AOI was released. Their skills and gear are all banked on my main and I'll just change jobs / skills whenever I need a change of pace. I could level a newman techer as a force char, but I'm fine doing even that with a robot. His level advantage over a char I'm not really interested in playing, and his blinging equipment will at least partly make up for race.

darkante
Apr 28, 2008, 12:46 PM
Well as i prefer Guns and magic before melee atm.

Silent Sinner will be put on hold as she really exceed the things i want her too for now.

I have wanted a reason to use my mage again (Time Traveler) but i didn´t cause he is so damn fragile and there is no fun doing ghost missions with a mage...but now with people constantly running MaG.. it´s hard not to find help leveling this alt i have and have a blast on the way.

I have wanted to outfit my mage with Ramar clothes for a while just for the lols so that goal is done now. =)

Mwabwetumba
Apr 28, 2008, 12:50 PM
To DarkAnte above me.

"Jag vill ha ól!..>.O"

Now that is a classy name if anything, heheh.

Anyway, I will not retire either of my alts due to MAG. I've not even played a single run of whatever mission it is yet, so I'm pretty much out of the leaderboards as it is. Ah, the bliss of not caring!

hiraisho
Apr 28, 2008, 12:51 PM
well I don't care much for the spread needle + have nowhere near the dedication to have no life in order to make the leaderboards for kills. right now #500 is at 20593 kills, I'm only at 4k, lol. I've been leveling Vequi and have been enjoying playing as a cast more, So I may just very well barely even touch my main throughout the event and spend the whole event on Vequi.

darkante
Apr 28, 2008, 12:52 PM
On 2008-04-28 10:50, Mwabwetumba wrote:
To DarkAnte above me.

"Jag vill ha ól!..>.O"

Now that is a classy name if anything, heheh.

Anyway, I will not retire either of my alts due to MAG. I've not even played a single run of whatever mission it is yet, so I'm pretty much out of the leaderboards as it is. Ah, the bliss of not caring!

Ahaha you understood it?
Fellow Swede? =)

Kylie
Apr 28, 2008, 01:27 PM
I'm lucky enough not to give a damn about range weapons. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif But even if I did, I doubt I'd give up the chance to level my alts for a silly virtual item ;o My friend jumped on his alt to cap his class and dropped from the mid-hundreds to the mid-four hundreds. I felt a little bad for him.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 28, 2008, 01:32 PM
I don't have enough time to get on the board anyway, so I may as well level my alts.

Thela
Apr 28, 2008, 02:35 PM
On 2008-04-28 11:32, Ffuzzy-Logik wrote:
I don't have enough time to get on the board anyway, so I may as well level my alts.
All of this is true for me as well.

Celi-Ka
Apr 28, 2008, 02:48 PM
I never intended to try and get in the running for a Spread Needle/G, since I know I won't be on as much as I want to, especially with Final Exams coming up in about...3 weeks and all the hectic stuff that comes with the end of the semester, not to mention that I work full-time. With my current schedule I can only be online 3 days a week on average.

I figure I'll take whatever time I do have available to take advantage of the boosted experience and high MP of the event mission(s). I intend to get all of my alts involved in some capacity.

Jainsea
Apr 28, 2008, 03:08 PM
Spreed Needle? huh? jk XD
I dont have time for that lol, and this is perfect time to get my last alt
hopefully into the lvl 100 range. Then maybe back on my main to cap her. MP and exp is so yummy right now :3 be a shame not to take advantage of that http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

MSAksion
Apr 28, 2008, 04:44 PM
Until i used my 2nd Main after maxing my first in ONE Day did i realize all my kills for my real main did not transfer to my 2nd.

Which means i completely gave up on the leaderboard. all i can do is team with my friend who is on it while i help myself level up all my characters.

But he wants to level his alt too this is not fair to him. As he sleeps he slips another 50 spots till we power level him till 5am on the weekend. Soon his Finals will kill his leaderboard rank anyway so...

...i'm about to tell him to give it up. His College finals are more important anyway.

As for his Alts - i say level them up. Dont let sega push you around into playing for 15 hours only to not get the dam shotgun. There will be another event if we decide to keep playin this game.

Lamak
Apr 28, 2008, 05:02 PM
When I realized that it would be near impossible for me to get on the boards running S-Rank, I decided to level my alts. Good idea to me.

Rashiid
Apr 28, 2008, 05:37 PM
I am surprised at how many people are just like "Fuck the Spread Needle!", including me.

I just dislike the fact that C runs account for it...
Seeing how fast one levels, I think it should've been S runs only.

RadiantLegend
Apr 28, 2008, 05:42 PM
I've always had this mindset that characters > weapons. So lv first, weapons later.

Libram
Apr 28, 2008, 07:23 PM
You know what, based on my game stamina I'm NEVER going to reach even 500 for this, so I'm gonna start using my alts. Poo on all the leaderboard freaks.

F-Gattaca
Apr 28, 2008, 07:24 PM
On 2008-04-28 12:35, Thela wrote:

On 2008-04-28 11:32, Ffuzzy-Logik wrote:
All of this is true for me as well.

Yep. I've been too busy to really do more than a few runs per day on PSU (as of right now, thanks to college and other commitments).

I already knew the Spread Needle/G was beyond my ken as it is, so I'm not bothering with the top 500. Instead, I'll just try and help us reach as high as we can.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: F-Gattaca on 2008-04-28 17:26 ]</font>

unicorn
Apr 28, 2008, 07:46 PM
I'd rather have a Shigga Pakuda thanks.

Criss
Apr 28, 2008, 07:56 PM
With the amount of time that's necessary to invest into spamming C ranks to stand a chance in staying on that leaderboards, I thought it's not really worth it. I'd prefer doing S ranks with friends and have fun while playing on some alts I haven't used in a while (since my main got 9 levels and capped in two days without even trying).