PDA

View Full Version : I want to ask questions about 360 and ps2/pc versions please

alazar14
Apr 28, 2008, 10:13 PM
Yeah guys I am going to ask about 360 vs ps2/pc Not in a (Which is better) case, I just want to seriously discuss my situation and see what would be the best choice for me.

I am currently level 60 56 35 and 22 PM at 100 on Sword and Guns. I play on pc/ps2 servers. I have played here since about December of 2006. I am strongly considering now that this event is up, and now that I own a Xbox 360 the 360 version of the game. The main reasons I am considering this is the following.

#1 The pc/ps2 Community is very small, I feel like my character data is not well protected there. Not in a hacker way but in a SEGA way, I sometimes Think about what would happen if SEGA decides to shut down the pc/ps2 servers for lack of activity. Then I would loose all my hard work. I don't want that to happen and its a fear I have had since March 2007.

#2 The PC version of this game max resolution is 1280X1024 (Or at least the max it reads on my Nvidia 8600M GT. So It does not have a set official Wide screen resolution such as 1440X900. When I set the game to wide screen it only stretches the Standard screen image and it looks a bit distorted. So I have to play the game which only covers about 1/2 of my small 17 inch monitor to make the game look very sharp. On the 360 I could play the game on my TV Which is a 32 inch HDTV.

#3 In my long time on the pc/ps2 version of the game I only have 2 people I can call good friends. Balmung and Sasuke Uchiha (Cast Balmung). A lot of you guys might know him he also plays his character Pios. These are the only 2 people I strongly consider my friends. It would be hard to leave them yes, but Is it worth it over a much larger overall player base...Im not sure about this one but I do think about it.

Now for the reasons I do not want to leave the pc/ps2 community

#1 So far its not hard to find a group, Even though it is a small demoralizing number of players the overall game experience has been quite well thus far,

#2 I am afraid of how much work I will be losing if i move over to 360, How many hours would it take me on 360 assuming I move this week, to reach level 56 with AT class, and Rank 10 AT and Transer? Also My clothes... I have almost every peace of clothes I like on the pc/ps2 version of the game...I do not know how hard it will be to make money on the 360 to make all that back.

#3 I would have to spend 20 dollars on the Xbox 360 copy of psu then about 30 dollars on the download for the 360 version, which if in any case my Xbox 360 or my xbox HDD goes out, I would basically have to buy the download again to play the game.

#4 I hear that the Voice chat on the 360 is not a good thing? I am not to sure about this but it really does make me think how something so convenient can be so negatively talked about?

Again guys please no flames no hate spams, All I want is some constructive opinions on my reasons for Moving to 360 and staying on ps2, I am NOT starting a flame war, I do NOT Want people to take this the wrong way, So please, just some good nice comments on my reasons that would be helpful to me, If you know a bit about one of the reasons please do educate me and let me know if I have the wrong idea about it if you guys can.

Thank you.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: alazar14 on 2008-04-28 20:16 ]</font>

funnymatt
Apr 28, 2008, 10:25 PM
This is written from the perspective of someone that doesn't care if you move or not. I play on 360, and will say this:
If you switch now, you will easily make it from level 1 to level 56 in a few days if you grind a bit, and probably hit AT and PT level 10 soon enough. You also make so much money on MAG that you will likely be able to buy whatever clothing you want. Raising your PM will be expensive, but can be done. I have 3 pure PMs, Tech, Armor, and Ranged. If your Xbox fries itself, or the hard drive blows out, you can redownload the expansion at no cost. When changing Xboxes, you can use redownloaded content as long as you're connected to Xbox live, which you need to be to play the expansion on PSU anyway. Voice chat is a good thing, makes the game easier in my opinion. And I've played since the days of word select on the Dreamcast V1. Voice chat > keyboards > word select > typing with your controller using an on screen kb.

But seriously, move, don't move, I couldn't care less.

SolRiver
Apr 28, 2008, 10:26 PM
Your work (levels etc) is not very much, so switching now won't be that much more work. If you work like a machine for 9 hours or something, you can probably get higher level than 60 with MAG. Photon art is a different case though.

I don't like your monitor.

Do you play with Balmung and Sasuke often? Like... almost always? If not, I don't see what's holding you back.

I think the xbox360 version have extra voice option for characters as well (PC got it bugged).

Voice chat = depend on your luck.

Chances of Sega shutting down PC/PS2 way sooner than xbox360? Not likely. They didn't shut off PSO xbox even though there was less people on it.

Coming from the view of a PC/PS2 player.

Mewnie
Apr 28, 2008, 11:50 PM
I wouldn't want to fork over that much for a system that breaks so easily |3

There's some good games, but the console itself is a piece of shit.

alazar14
Apr 28, 2008, 11:52 PM
I should have said I already own a 360, and the 20GiG HDD, Sure its not much (After FFXI Its only got 4GiGs left) but Yeah I mean the system I have.

SpikeOtacon
Apr 29, 2008, 12:18 AM
I'm still mad at how utterly sloppy the PC version is. Massive slowdown from the silliest things, crap resolutions, no naitive widescreen like you mentioned, etc. If I can run other, much more shader and texture intensive games on this laptop at relatively high settings then there is no reason why even with a 640x480 resolution I see slowdown. Frameskip is atrocious, it makes everything jittery and is a crappy 'solution'.

I remedy the "no voice chat" option in the PC version when I party with my friends by opening up ventrilo or skype or something like that. Works like a charm and it gets the job done. Sure when you go into random parties you don't have that luxary but you can't have it all sometimes.

It would be a shame for PC to lose another player, but in the end it is all about what best serves you and I wish you all the best as you decide where your future PSUing shall reside.

Weeaboolits
Apr 29, 2008, 12:25 AM
Every version of this game seems to have rather glaring technical issues, PS2 has horrible slowdown and load times, as well problems with data caching, the 360 version has memory leaks and slowdown too, the PC version has gameguard and demands that you have a much more powerful PC than is reasonable for a game of this level of graphics.

Really, pick your poison.

bLOODSAW
Apr 29, 2008, 12:38 AM
I was in your position at one point. I made the jump from ps2 to 360. Worked out for me http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif.

landman
Apr 29, 2008, 08:09 AM
If you are looking for a better graphics enhancement... xbox has horrible slowdowns -.-

alazar14
Apr 29, 2008, 08:16 AM
I will probably get the game today when I go out to get my copy of GTA4, Just 2 more questions for 360 users. Do I need Xbox live Gold to play online and use voice chat? and secondly I know i need the original game to play psu online on xbox, + the expansion download, but will the original game take up a lot of space on my
HDD, I only have like 4.3GiGs open on it now. I would like to use no more than 3 if possible. I know the expa is 1.9GiGs or 1.8 Around there. Does the game Disc download big files to HDD?

Btw I did play on ps2 version of the game Before AOTI came out. and yeah it has slow downs with a 6 man party and stuff, but I dont know It didn't seem to bad to me, actually it was kinda fun to play in slow motion. Like Dave chappelle said, Everything looks better in slow motion http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: alazar14 on 2008-04-29 06:17 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: alazar14 on 2008-04-29 06:21 ]</font>

DEM_CIG
Apr 29, 2008, 08:19 AM
No u do not need gold to play psu online due to the monthly subscription. The expanision does not take up a lot of space. And im not sure about the game disc.

New_One
Apr 29, 2008, 08:22 AM
Ironically I switched from Xbox to the PC servers because I RROD'd twice.
...but with the current billing problems i'm having the same problems (not being able to play)

Now having played both servers, I prefer the PC because its more accessible, seems to run faster (I had xboxlive issues) and i've met friendly people on the PC side despite the population.

Tink
Apr 29, 2008, 08:37 AM
As long as the 360 version is around, the PS2/PC servers will still be up; thus you won't lose anything unless they decide to shut the entire game down. The game was orginally released for PS2, it would make no sense what so ever to shut down the PS2/PC servers because of lack of population.

blackeye08
Apr 29, 2008, 08:44 AM
I don't own but have played the ps2 version and in no way does it compare to xbox360. Like these guys said you don't have to pay twice for the download if your xbox gives out. yeah theres slowdon but what do you expect when there are thousands of people playing the same mission?
Overall its not that bad. I don't think the game offers HDD but I'm not too sure. Voice chat is awesome. Typing crap in the middle of mobs is not my idea of fun. BUT tits not 100% that it works all the time. Sometime my friends and I have to group up in a certain way to all be able to hear each other. Galnova (a friend of mine) and I can't hear each other unless Jessica (my GF) is in the party so that sucks sometimes but usually it doesn't happen too often.
You'll find other people to play with. IF they matter that much make them switch too. or if not I'll play with you. My GF and my friends get on everyday and always play together. Just a suggestion because I've tried joining peoples parties and after the second time of being booted at the end I said screw this. Granted, I've met some awesome people in random parties I've joined so it kinda depends.
hope this helped http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

DEM_CIG
Apr 29, 2008, 08:50 AM
I never played the ps2 version online so i can not compare. The only real slow down u get is when u go to universes when they are full. I hardly ever notice any slow down unless im in uni 1 when its full.

sikotic_demon
Apr 29, 2008, 09:02 AM
never played the pc/ps2 version but i got the 360 and have very few problems with it the game its self dont take much space but the download is 1.9 gig as for money and leveling it takes no time to get back to your current status on pc..... my brother just started his own file a month ago and he was 75 (he barely played when i wasnt on with him) and now hes 84 after only spending about a day on the mag missions his ranged bot and armor bot both took about 2 weeks and 2 mill to finish togeather again he took his time in doing this........... however the choice to switch is still totaly up to you....

Legendria
Apr 29, 2008, 09:09 AM
On 2008-04-28 20:13, alazar14 wrote:

#1 The pc/ps2 Community is very small, I feel like my character data is not well protected there. Not in a hacker way but in a SEGA way, I sometimes Think about what would happen if SEGA decides to shut down the pc/ps2 servers for lack of activity. Then I would loose all my hard work. I don't want that to happen and its a fear I have had since March 2007.

As long as it's accessible by PC, it will never be safe. Let a new trainer come out.

About the server going down, not going to happen. Although, if it does happen, the 360 will survive longer simply because the JP players are attached to it as well. We all know how SEGA caters to it's JP players...

#2 The PC version of this game max resolution is 1280X1024 (Or at least the max it reads on my Nvidia 8600M GT. So It does not have a set official Wide screen resolution such as 1440X900. When I set the game to wide screen it only stretches the Standard screen image and it looks a bit distorted. So I have to play the game which only covers about 1/2 of my small 17 inch monitor to make the game look very sharp. On the 360 I could play the game on my TV Which is a 32 inch HDTV.

Valid.

#3 In my long time on the pc/ps2 version of the game I only have 2 people I can call good friends. Balmung and Sasuke Uchiha (Cast Balmung). A lot of you guys might know him he also plays his character Pios. These are the only 2 people I strongly consider my friends. It would be hard to leave them yes, but Is it worth it over a much larger overall player base...Im not sure about this one but I do think about it.

Simply due to sheer population, friends are very easy to come by.

#1 So far its not hard to find a group, Even though it is a small demoralizing number of players the overall game experience has been quite well thus far,

Well if you can find a party wherever you want to play, it doesn't matter if only 15 people play PC/PS2. If you have fun, it's all that matters.

#2 I am afraid of how much work I will be losing if i move over to 360, How many hours would it take me on 360 assuming I move this week, to reach level 56 with AT class, and Rank 10 AT and Transer? Also My clothes... I have almost every peace of clothes I like on the pc/ps2 version of the game...I do not know how hard it will be to make money on the 360 to make all that back.

The event clothes will have to be bought back, the levels are EXTREMELY easy right now. You should be more worried about losing your PA's than anything, honestly.

#3 I would have to spend 20 dollars on the Xbox 360 copy of psu then about 30 dollars on the download for the 360 version, which if in any case my Xbox 360 or my xbox HDD goes out, I would basically have to buy the download again to play the game.

PSU is like 15 bucks. Expansion is 19.99. Not a whole lot, imo.

#4 I hear that the Voice chat on the 360 is not a good thing? I am not to sure about this but it really does make me think how something so convenient can be so negatively talked about?

VOICE CHAT ONLY SUCKS IN GAMES LIKE HALO.

I can't explain this enough. Only the supercompetitive games have assholes on the mic. The most you'll get here is some random kid singing poorly on the mic, at which point you turn your mic down to mute.

[/quote]

Darkly
Apr 29, 2008, 09:20 AM
stick with your friends man, don't waste money buying this average game all over again and instead use the money to get some 360 games instead.

Legendria
Apr 29, 2008, 09:54 AM
On 2008-04-28 20:13, alazar14 wrote:

As long as it's accessible by PC, it will never be safe. Let a new trainer come out.

About the server going down, not going to happen. Although, if it does happen, the 360 will survive longer simply because the JP players are attached to it as well. We all know how SEGA caters to it's JP players...

Valid.

Simply due to sheer population, friends are very easy to come by.

Well if you can find a party wherever you want to play, it doesn't matter if only 15 people play PC/PS2. If you have fun, it's all that matters.

The event clothes will have to be bought back, the levels are EXTREMELY easy right now. You should be more worried about losing your PA's than anything, honestly.

PSU is like 15 bucks. Expansion is 19.99. Not a whole lot, imo.

VOICE CHAT ONLY SUCKS IN GAMES LIKE HALO.

I can't explain this enough. Only the supercompetitive games have assholes on the mic. The most you'll get here is some random kid singing poorly on the mic, at which point you turn your mic down to mute.

RedRaz0r
Apr 29, 2008, 10:56 AM
I personally have played both and I prefer the 360 version mostlyy due to more people, voice chat, and Doku

Honeypot
Apr 29, 2008, 11:10 AM
I personally play both at the moment. Yeah I know, seems kind of pointless to play both at the same time but thats besides the point. I have not played my 360 account much due to having so many problems with the game. I get crap tons of slowdown for simple things on the 360 version. Using a sword while just attacking on more than 2 monsters causes slowdown. I've run into more game breaking bugs in the 360 version than I have ever seen in the PC version. Like for example I froze 3 times just trying to go to moatoob. I've also had the Seed Vance on the Liner line actually not spawn and then lock up my 360.

It could be that im just unlucky but due to issues like that, it makes me want to cancel my 360 account and just focus on my PC one. The player base on the 360 is huge compaired to the PC/PS2 though. It's not uncommon to see Uni 1 being full and Uni 2 being half-way full at odd times of the day. On weekends Uni 1 and 2 could be full at any given time.

Judging by your work so far, it wouldn't take long to regain all that using the current MAG event. You could probably make level 60 with AT and Transer level 10, if not level 20 in a days worth of work. Plus you get crap tons of meseta from the mission as well so that can fund not only your cloth shopping, but also re-leveling your PMs to get them back up to par.

I honestly have not groups with anyone on the 360 so far. I'd get to possible grouping level and then run into game breaking issues that would cause me to get pissed off and turn off my 360 and go back to the PC version. Thus I can't comment on the voice chat or how bad it gets with a bunch of people in the group. Maybe im just spoiled since I can run the PC version with everything maxed and have little to no slowdown for anything but the issues I keep having on the 360 version puts me off from playing it.

Legendria
Apr 29, 2008, 11:19 AM
On 2008-04-29 09:10, Honeypot wrote:
I've run into more game breaking bugs in the 360 version than I have ever seen in the PC version. Like for example I froze 3 times just trying to go to moatoob.

That's your disc.

360 is very particular about the quality of PSU discs. Many used ones with a small amount of weak scratches can prevent you from going to some sections entirely.

My first used disc froze on any RELICS mission (no Sleeping Warriors), loading Dulk Fakis boss fight, Moatoob, even some people's rooms.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Legendria on 2008-04-29 09:20 ]</font>

Honeypot
Apr 29, 2008, 11:23 AM
Thats pretty crappy that its my disc when i've hardly even played the game. I refuse to buy another copy of the game as well.

JAFO22000
Apr 29, 2008, 11:24 AM
It seems like your main worry is that the PC/PS2 servers may shut down because of a lack of population. This should not be an issue, so you won't lose all of your hard work over there.

I would suggest that you stay where you are if you don't have any glaring issues with the community. It seems that you don't have any problem finding a party, so I assume you don't have a problem. Why switch over and start anew just so you can play on your HDTV with voice chat? Not worth it, IMO.

I don't think you will have a considerably better experience on any one server over the other; if you're happy, stay put.

JAFO22000
Apr 29, 2008, 11:25 AM
On 2008-04-28 21:50, Mewnie wrote:
I wouldn't want to fork over that much for a system that breaks so easily |3

There's some good games, but the console itself is a piece of shit.

This has nothing to do with the question asked. I've had posts deleted for less....

watashiwa
Apr 29, 2008, 12:17 PM
On 2008-04-28 22:18, SpikeOtacon wrote:
I'm still mad at how utterly sloppy the PC version is. Massive slowdown from the silliest things, crap resolutions, no naitive widescreen like you mentioned, etc. If I can run other, much more shader and texture intensive games on this laptop at relatively high settings then there is no reason why even with a 640x480 resolution I see slowdown. Frameskip is atrocious, it makes everything jittery and is a crappy 'solution'.

I'm pretty sure the slowdown is caused by both your slow PC and Sonic Team's less than stellar code optimization.

I play the PC version and don't experience any slowdown at all. In fact, the majority would agree the PC version runs the best out of all three platforms this game runs on.

In addition to that, the PC version (Ambition of the Illuminus only) DOES have native widescreen support. It's native widescreen support is identical to the XBox360's version. It runs at 1280x720 and the resolution is selectable from the options menu.

The XBox360 can probably run the game in 1080p, but it's not true 1080p, it's still 1280x720 upscaled to 1920x1080. It looks EXACTLY the same as 1280x720 with NO ADDED DETAIL.

majan
Apr 29, 2008, 12:24 PM
check this before you decide,no flaming,no garbage:

if you are considering the switch,now is the time. EXP mission points and money are easy as shit to gain with this event. you will be back up at max power very quickly so if you are not looking to waste time doing hard work thats gonna just go to waste,switch over now so you can catch up as easily as possbile. itll make your life very easy rather than if you ride out MAG on the pcps2 side then switch over to ours.

not to mention that our market right now is totally gone haywire(in a kinda good way) prices are very low for things you find in the MAG mission. of course theres all the assholes on the 360 side but stick with the right people and you will be quite alright. dont sweat it. but if you want to switch,now's the perfect time.

SpikeOtacon
Apr 29, 2008, 12:30 PM
On 2008-04-29 10:17, watashiwa wrote:

On 2008-04-28 22:18, SpikeOtacon wrote:

I'm pretty sure the slowdown is caused by both your slow PC and Sonic Team's less than stellar code optimization.

I play the PC version and don't experience any slowdown at all. In fact, the majority would agree the PC version runs the best out of all three platforms this game runs on.

In addition to that, the PC version (Ambition of the Illuminus only) DOES have native widescreen support. It's native widescreen support is identical to the XBox360's version. It runs at 1280x720 and the resolution is selectable from the options menu.

The XBox360 can probably run the game in 1080p, but it's not true 1080p, it's still 1280x720 upscaled to 1920x1080. It looks EXACTLY the same as 1280x720 with NO ADDED DETAIL.

My experience with slowdown depends greatly. I get a majority of my slowdown whenever I go into a lobby with Cherry Blossom trees up, or if someone casts a spell directly in front of the camera. Other than that there are a few spots in a handful of missions which bring my system to its knees, but i'm still annoyed by it since my computer isn't a piece of crap.

watashiwa
Apr 29, 2008, 12:38 PM
On 2008-04-29 10:30, SpikeOtacon wrote:
My experience with slowdown depends greatly. I get a majority of my slowdown whenever I go into a lobby with Cherry Blossom trees up, or if someone casts a spell directly in front of the camera. Other than that there are a few spots in a handful of missions which bring my system to its knees, but i'm still annoyed by it since my computer isn't a piece of crap.

What are the specs for your PC? Processor and video card are probably the most important, as far as PSU goes... Of course, if you have less than 512MB of RAM, that could hurt you a lot too.

I've mostly played the game on an Athlon X2 4200+ with varying video cards. X850, GeForce 7950GT and HD3650.

I also played it on a Core 2 Duo T7200 laptop with a GeForce 7600GS and a 7900GS.

Those configurations were able to play the game with little to no slowdown with frameskip set to 0. (The 7600GS could only do frameskip of 0 when running @ 800x600... 1024x768+ would bring cause some slowdowns on Neudaiz...)

SpikeOtacon
Apr 29, 2008, 12:42 PM
On 2008-04-29 10:38, watashiwa wrote:

On 2008-04-29 10:30, SpikeOtacon wrote:

What are the specs for your PC? Processor and video card are probably the most important, as far as PSU goes... Of course, if you have less than 512MB of RAM, that could hurt you a lot too.

I've mostly played the game on an Athlon X2 4200+ with varying video cards. X850, GeForce 7950GT and HD3650.

I also played it on a Core 2 Duo T7200 laptop with a GeForce 7600GS and a 7900GS.

Those configurations were able to play the game with little to no slowdown with frameskip set to 0. (The 7600GS could only do frameskip of 0 when running @ 800x600... 1024x768+ would bring cause some slowdowns on Neudaiz...)

Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.3ghz
2GB RAM
ATi X1600 w/256MB
160GB HDD
Screen Resolution 1440x900
Game Resolution 1024x768

I've heard that if you create a batch file for switching the PSU exe's priority to 'high' it can fix almost all slowdown, but at the cost that you get disconnected every 30 minutes. I have yet to try this but once again, I shouldn't have to do it.

watashiwa
Apr 29, 2008, 12:53 PM
On 2008-04-29 10:42, SpikeOtacon wrote:
ATi X1600 w/256MB

Uhm... youch, bro, that's like a $50 card...

That card has very little 3D processing power and is probably better off at just DVD acceleration than gaming... (Unless it's old school gaming...)

Peep this:

Tom's Hardware VGA charts (http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/desktop-vga-charts/3dmark06-v1-0-2-hdr-sm3-0-score,539.html?p=1600%2C1602%2C1599%2C1579%2C1594% 2C1586%2C1572%2C1643%2C1570%2C1637%2C1575%2C1569%2 C1630%2C1627%2C1561%2C1611%2C1623%2C1608%2C1622%2C 1621%2C1564%2C1606%2C1605)

The X1600 Pro in CrossFire (meaning two of the cards at the same time) only scored 902 in 3DMark06.

The XT version, single, scored 877.

Where as the PRO scored 637.

Seriously, that card is only $50-$60, you're going to have to step it up a notch if you want to do some 3D gaming on your rig.

If you're trying to save money, try your hand at this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102726

It's only $69.99 but it's an HD3650 512MB card... it's midrange but can run stuff like Unreal Tournament 3, PSU, and so on at pretty decent frame rates.

If you want to bump it up a notch, go for the 3850 or 3870, but the HD3650 is miles of improvement over your current video card... (which is a POS, to be perfectly honest...)

3850 you could find for $129.99 where as the 3870 you could find for $159.99 or so...

Ditch that X1600 ASAP.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: watashiwa on 2008-04-29 10:53 ]</font>

chu-chu-chu
Apr 29, 2008, 12:54 PM
On 2008-04-29 10:24, majan wrote:
check this before you decide,no flaming,no garbage:

if you are considering the switch,now is the time. EXP mission points and money are easy as shit to gain with this event. you will be back up at max power very quickly so if you are not looking to waste time doing hard work thats gonna just go to waste,switch over now so you can catch up as easily as possbile. itll make your life very easy rather than if you ride out MAG on the pcps2 side then switch over to ours.

not to mention that our market right now is totally gone haywire(in a kinda good way) prices are very low for things you find in the MAG mission. of course theres all the assholes on the 360 side but stick with the right people and you will be quite alright. dont sweat it. but if you want to switch,now's the perfect time.

not to forget that we will also be able to buy made 9stars in teh shops as an award, i think i heard from another player, but it is probably on both i think.

SpikeOtacon
Apr 29, 2008, 12:58 PM
On 2008-04-29 10:53, watashiwa wrote:
*snip*

I can't, it's a laptop. Plus, the card can run almost any Valve game I throw at it, and I'd say those are pretty 3D games right there. With the exception of Crysis I can run a fair amount of games on this machine at close to full specs. This laptop is over a year old, but like I said she can more than handle her own.

Bioshock in 1440x900 at max settings doing 30 frames a second is pretty impressive for a "$50 card".

watashiwa
Apr 29, 2008, 01:02 PM
On 2008-04-29 10:58, SpikeOtacon wrote:
Bioshock in 1440x900 at max settings doing 30 frames a second is pretty impressive for a "$50 card".

Bioshock has better optimization in it than PSU. I'm sure Bioshock isn't always running a solid 30 on there and if it is, it's probably dynamically adjusting detail so the gameplay experience is decent.

The X1600, no offense, really is a terrible solution for 3D gaming.

It may work for you and your budget, but when you have the ability, I'd replace the laptop with something a little more beefier.

The benchmarks and price point speak volumes about the card with little need to see it in action.

You get what you pay for and that rings true with your card.

PSU's performance could be better optimized by Sonic Team, that's for sure, but the root of your problem doesn't steam just from their lack of optimization, but the poor processing power of your hardware.

Can't put the full blame on the game.

SpikeOtacon
Apr 29, 2008, 01:04 PM
For comparison, my dead tower has a GeForce FX5200 in it. I made a lightspeed jump from that to my laptop, and while the X1600 is far from the best, it has proven that it can handle games that are much more intensive than PSU in every way, and still run at 60 frames a second without a hiccup.

So yeah, I guess I can put the full blame on the game.

watashiwa
Apr 29, 2008, 01:15 PM
On 2008-04-29 11:04, SpikeOtacon wrote:
For comparison, my dead tower has a GeForce FX5200 in it. I made a lightspeed jump from that to my laptop, and while the X1600 is far from the best, it has proven that it can handle games that are much more intensive than PSU in every way, and still run at 60 frames a second without a hiccup.

Not sure where you're getting that your X1600 can run current games @ 60fps...

Looking at these benchmarks from Tom's Hardware...

Battlefield 2142 @ 1024x768 with no AA
--------------------------------
X1600 XT CF (CrossFire) @ 40.40fps
X1600 Pro CF @ 33.20fps
X1600 XT @ 29.30fps
X1600 Pro @ 24.40fps

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic @ 1024x768 with no AA
----------------------------------------------
X1600 XT @ 37.60fps
X1600 Pro @ 31.90fps

Doom 3 @ 1024x768 with no AA
--------------------------
X1600 XT CF @ 116fps
X1600 XT @ 76.10fps
X1600 Pro CF @ 90fps
X1600 Pro @ 56.70

Microsoft Flight Simulator X @ 1024x768 with no AA
--------------------------------
X1600 XT @ 16.30fps
X1600 Pro @ 15.20fps

Oblivion @ 1024x768 with no AA
---------------------------
X1600 XT CF @ 16fps
X1600 Pro CF @ 13.40fps
X1600 XT @ 9.90fps
X1600 Pro @ 8.40fps

Prey @ 1024x768 with no AA
-----------------------
X1600 XT CF @ 74.90fps
X1600 Pro CF @ 55.20fps
X1600 XT @ 45.70fps
X1600 Pro @ 33.40fps

Warhammer Mark of Chaos @ 1024x768 with no AA
-----------------------------------------
X1600 XT @ 20fps
X1600 Pro @ 20fps

Note that these benchmarks didn't use FSAA but kept the quality settings to their normal or max levels...

Looks like your card did the best with Doom 3... most peoples' cards do as it's a very old game.

I'm sure you're not running a CF (Crossfire) configuration where you're running 2 X1600 Pros at the same time...

So, yeah, as I stated... the X1600 in any shape or form is pretty much ass for 3D gaming.

If you're going to still stick to the 60fps claim for most games, then I'm going to call you a liar... or demand you have them run the benchmarks from your laptop with the same graphics ability.

Valve's Half-Life may run pretty decently on that machine but the engine is mad old. Half-Life 2 didn't improve that much either.

GG upgrade your crap before talking about PSU ;x

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: watashiwa on 2008-04-29 11:17 ]</font>

RemiusTA
Apr 29, 2008, 01:18 PM
Microsoft sucks at customer service, but NOTHING, and i mean NOTHING is worse than relying on SEGA.

My PC/PS2 account has been in the Pending Cancel state for 5 days now. Its fucking pathetic.

Id like to advertise for my PSU platform as well, but no. Just no. Go with microsoft.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RemiusTA on 2008-04-29 11:20 ]</font>

KiiLoo
Apr 29, 2008, 01:20 PM
On 2008-04-29 07:09, Legendria wrote:
[quote]On 2008-04-28 20:13, alazar14 wrote:

VOICE CHAT ONLY SUCKS IN LIKE HALO.

hmmmm obviously you suck at halo. voice chat is needed idiot

SpikeOtacon
Apr 29, 2008, 01:21 PM
On 2008-04-29 11:15, watashiwa wrote:
*snip*

Whatever dude. Not all of us feel like spending money to upgrade constantly, and in my case of being a currently unemployed college student I don't have ANY money to spare for new hardware. I shouldn't have to upgrade my system right here and right now for a game that isn't really that spectacular looking. I don't play a lot of PC games that much anymore, so in the end the investment of a whole new PC/laptop just for PSU is stupid.

Stop being a typical PC gamer with your OMG UR SYSTEM ISNT TEH L33T. Because that's all I see when i've read your posts. Call my system shit if you will, but in action it proves itself despite what your benchmarks say.

Until we get to PSU that is, which as you have noted and the whole world knows, has terrible optimization if at all. So I'd say the weight is much more on SEGA's lazy shoulders than my laptops.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SpikeOtacon on 2008-04-29 11:23 ]</font>

watashiwa
Apr 29, 2008, 01:28 PM
On 2008-04-29 11:21, SpikeOtacon wrote:
*snip*

Well, that's cool that's all you got out of my posts.

It's good you don't play a lot of PC games either, because it'd suck to try Oblivion on your laptop and run around the outdoors at 9 fps. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

(Which your eyes may perceive as 60fps, but hey, who really cares?)

Go on and keep enjoying PSU with your low-end video card, high frameskip, and talking about how sloppy the PC port is because of the issues which majorly stem from your configuration. Be my guest, lawlz.

SpikeOtacon
Apr 29, 2008, 01:29 PM
On 2008-04-29 11:28, watashiwa wrote:

On 2008-04-29 11:21, SpikeOtacon wrote:
*snip*

Well, that's cool that's all you got out of my posts.

It's good you don't play a lot of PC games either, because it'd suck to try Oblivion on your laptop and run around the outdoors at 9 fps. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

(Which your eyes may perceive as 60fps, but hey, who really cares?)

Go on and keep enjoying PSU with your low-end video card, high frameskip, and talking about how sloppy the PC port is because of the issues which majorly stem from your configuration. Be my guest, lawlz.

Hoo, man I am so glad that this community is so tightly knit. Man for a second there I was worried we were on the official PSU forums.

DEM_CIG
Apr 29, 2008, 01:51 PM
InB4Lock... jk, but not really. Anyway it does not really matter which psu version u go with. U might incounter problems on either one. If u wanna switch over to 360 go for it, cause now is the prefect time. There are alot great ppl on the server, and alot of asshats. Voice chat is a plus since u do not have to type if u dont want to, It is to easy to find ppl to run with( I hardly ever solo, unless i want to). The only major difference between the to servers is that the 360 server has way more ppl than the PC/PS2. Either server u decide on is a good choose.

Mewnie
Apr 29, 2008, 08:01 PM
On 2008-04-29 09:25, JAFO22000 wrote:

This has nothing to do with the question asked. I've had posts deleted for less....

Well, it's true. It's a shoddily built console. The only reason it didn't go the way of the Jaguar is the fact Microsoft is propping it up with money.

Syl
Apr 29, 2008, 08:08 PM
On 2008-04-29 10:54, chu-chu-chu wrote:
not to forget that we will also be able to buy made 9stars in teh shops as an award, i think i heard from another player, but it is probably on both i think.

Sounds like a rumor, considering JP can't even buy them yet or didn't get that as a reward either http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Also the syntax "...from another player" is pretty much self explanatory

Legendria
Apr 29, 2008, 08:51 PM
On 2008-04-29 11:20, KiiLoo wrote:

On 2008-04-29 07:09, Legendria wrote:
[quote]On 2008-04-28 20:13, alazar14 wrote:

VOICE CHAT ONLY SUCKS IN LIKE HALO.

hmmmm obviously you suck at halo. voice chat is needed idiot

I lol'd.

We're talking about people being assholes on the mic and you decided to quote me out of context with this bullshit. You know damn well whenever you beat someone in Team Slayer, it's not "Hey , nice game fellas".

Gtfo thx.

alazar14
Apr 29, 2008, 09:03 PM
Downloading aoti for the 360, Just wondering if i will need the psu disc to play after I have aoti downloaded, Will it just read it off the HDD and Still use the disc? or will it be like pc version and just run on its own? I have the Disc ether way.

PALRAPPYS
Apr 29, 2008, 09:11 PM
On 2008-04-29 19:03, alazar14 wrote:
Downloading aoti for the 360, Just wondering if i will need the psu disc to play after I have aoti downloaded, Will it just read it off the HDD and Still use the disc? or will it be like pc version and just run on its own? I have the Disc ether way.

Yes you need the disc still. It's why AOTI is only 20 instead of 30/40. (Plus PSU is much more than 1.9gigs overall I'm sure.)