PDA

View Full Version : TV/Internet/Phone

Ketchup345
Apr 28, 2008, 11:42 PM
My family recently switched cable/internet/phone providers to a phone company. The price is great, the internet speed is good enough, and the cable is awesome (free DVR, and at least one channel that the old service didn't have that I love).

Ok, onto the problems.
When we had the guy come to switch us over, he screwed up my home network (I wasn't home). I had a wireless router setup (desktop was cable linked to router, 1-2 laptops wireless) with a print server attached. The new cable company gave us a new wireless router (ok, fine). But in the setup, they attached the desktop to the cable box, which is connected to the router (router seems to control internet and tv), leaving the old wireless router and print server detached from the rest of the network. I tried to move the printer and print server to another room linking the print server to the cable box like was done in the other room. This didn't work, as the router was unable to realize the print server was there. I was unable to find anything in the router's settings to force a detection. I tried direct linking the print server to the router, no luck there either. A few days ago my brother said the desktop no longer can connect to the internet (and probably the router) either.

The wireless part of the router seems to turn on and off on its own, usually it seems to only turn on after a wireless computer has been around for a few minutes. This means if I want to connect to the internet instantly, I have to do a wired connection. No idea what makes it turn off besides lack of signal, but it turns off even when there is a wireless connection active.

The DVR is awesome, but apparently there is something slightly wrong with this one as it has some recordings come up as just black. No sound, no visual. Just black. Which recordings seem to be random.

Just 45 minutes ago I lost the internet and TV when I went to print something (I now have the print server just holding my USB cable for the printer while still hooked up for when we get a service guy out here). I am certain I check and rechecked all relevant connections. The other room has TV, and obviously my internet works now, so there is something wrong with this cable box, cable, TV, or any of the connections in between (and these are the connections I checked).