PDA

View Full Version : An observation concerning HAX Vanda Damfoie

Libram
Apr 30, 2008, 04:23 PM
It looks like fire, it burns like fire, and when wearing Fire Armor in the past the damage would be reduced. BUT...I've been running MAG with a number of elemental armors, one of which is Ground to ward off buffed Vanda smashes-o-doom. I also use it for the first part of caves to lessen all the annoying tick damage I get from the Navas. Now, sometimes I forget to switch to my Fire Armor for the big room full of Vanda and Grass Assassins. I've noticed that when I use my Fire Armor I take a ton of damage anyway and either scrape through by the skin of my teeth or end up getting Firebreath'd to death in that last area. When I forget to switch, my damage taken is greatly reduced. This makes me think that the Haxfoie is not an actual spell, it's just a special attack that carries the element of the enemy casting it. The normal Vandas obviously are fire affinitied, but the Vanda Orgas are not. That's why the Ground Armor can prove so much more effective.

Synopsis
Vanda Orgas do less damage when you wear Earth Armor instead of Fire.

Any thoughts?

Randomness
Apr 30, 2008, 04:25 PM
<--Needs ground armor. And my fire armor is one of the elements least likely to cause me problems. Boomas are weak.

JAFO22000
Apr 30, 2008, 04:27 PM
You performed the test, but are your fire and ground line shields similar? I mean, if you have a 12% 7* fire line shield and a 46% 10* ground line shield, the ground would still perform better in the above situation.

GaNksTa
Sounds right; same concept with Ikk Hikk, spits fire, but does whichever element your Knuckles are..

stukasa
I'm not at home to test your theory, but the reason *I* wear fire armor isn't just because of the Damfoie-like attack, it's those fireballs they throw! Have you noticed if their fireballs are considered fire attacks or not?

JAFO22000
Apr 30, 2008, 04:28 PM
On 2008-04-30 14:25, Randomness wrote:
<--Needs ground armor. And my fire armor is one of the elements least likely to cause me problems. Boomas are weak.

AWESOME ADDITION THE CONVERSATION!!!!!!

Golto
Apr 30, 2008, 04:30 PM
With vanda orgas their breath attack is the same element as they are, the two foie-like flinging attacks are fire element.

Libram
Apr 30, 2008, 04:32 PM
On 2008-04-30 14:27, JAFO22000 wrote:
You performed the test, but are your fire and ground line shields similar? I mean, if you have a 12% 7* fire line shield and a 46% 10* ground line shield, the ground would still perform better in the above situation.

I noticed this when using my Fighgunner, and she has three Crimson Lines: 50% Ground, 30% Fire, and ~28% Dark. I haven't tested against the Fireballs yet seeing as I never stay in place long enough for them to tag me often, so I shall once I'm done finding something to eat.

EDIT: Looks like Golto answered that question for me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Libram on 2008-04-30 14:33 ]</font>

Freshellent
Apr 30, 2008, 04:36 PM
I've wondered about that actually. Interesting.

Ol' Bruce likes to catch that leaping Foie attack with his face I noticed.

Darius_Drake
Apr 30, 2008, 04:42 PM
Dang, I will probably test this out tonight.

panzer_unit
Apr 30, 2008, 04:46 PM
Damhaxfoie can be evaded, and can hit players even when the monster is confused... the only thing not like a regular physical attack is that Silence stops it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jellen reduces its damage.

Dark Emerald EXE
Apr 30, 2008, 04:53 PM
Hmm this is some interesting stuff
Ironically on my Fighgunnerm im using a 32% Dark Storm Line. When i go in that room i easy get behind them n dus majarra them away or Tornado dance.... That actaully works for me until i get to the last spawn where they appear like crazy...thats when i take damage.....also the nice SUV surprise i can use ^_^

Jainsea
Apr 30, 2008, 05:57 PM
Oh those things are rghhhhh >: im wearing ground armor 20%, and I still get 1 shot killed when they leap and throw foie at me... only on my
FT though...they always seem to go into animation of throwing it a second after I cast a tech at them, By time I end my animation..BAM! and Im 1-shooted x.x I do have better luck if I get caught in the damfoie as Im healing party. Guess thats still ground base? Theres no telling with ST >.>;;; Thier monster+tech attack combos on them are odd sometimes. Just look at the Jabras. Got a Fire type casting an ice attack >.> and casting retier to buff that ice tech. So um..yea..sorry lost track of topic http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_mad.gif Dam that Damfoie!!!

Weeaboolits
Apr 30, 2008, 06:00 PM
On 2008-04-30 14:28, JAFO22000 wrote:

On 2008-04-30 14:25, Randomness wrote:
<--Needs ground armor. And my fire armor is one of the elements least likely to cause me problems. Boomas are weak.AWESOME ADDITION THE CONVERSATION!!!!!!This was rather constructive as well.

At any rate, I certainly wouldn't doubt it to be their same element, seeing as it can be evaded.

I really wish it were real damfoie though, even if that would mean higher level burn, being able to block it is rather annoying, as it often gets me killed (the blocking animation stops me from running away, the same reason I hate De Ragan's flamethrower, unless by some miracle I block every hit, I'm screwed).

Kylie
Apr 30, 2008, 06:03 PM
I always wondered about this, but I was too lazy to test it out myself. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif Thanks for doing the work for me!

Dark Emerald EXE
Apr 30, 2008, 06:06 PM
On 2008-04-30 15:57, Jainesa wrote:
Oh those things are rghhhhh >: im wearing ground armor 20%, and I still get 1 shot killed when they leap and throw foie at me... only on my
FT though...they always seem to go into animation of throwing it a second after I cast a tech at them, By time I end my animation..BAM! and Im 1-shooted x.x I do have better luck if I get caught in the damfoie as Im healing party. Guess thats still ground base? Theres no telling with ST >.>;;; Thier monster+tech attack combos on them are odd sometimes. Just look at the Jabras. Got a Fire type casting an ice attack >.> and casting retier to buff that ice tech. So um..yea..sorry lost track of topic http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_mad.gif Dam that Damfoie!!!

Yea i've gone through that.... kinda funny really
thats y i tornado dance if i can get away from it

Tsavo
Apr 30, 2008, 06:21 PM
On 2008-04-30 14:46, panzer_unit wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if Jellen reduces its damage.

I was wondering the same thing actually. Perhaps I'll go test this out once I'm back from class. And funny you would bring this up Libram, I remember we were puzzling over it in party earlier today.

Proto07
Apr 30, 2008, 06:33 PM
It depends on what class you're playing. As a ranger 30% fire stormline + burn resist works better for me than 32% ground stormline + orpad guard. And that's obviously because they don't get close enough to claw/swipe/bite.

Powder Keg
Apr 30, 2008, 06:47 PM
I'm thinking it's a regular attack (which would be the Orga's element, Ground) since you can evade it.

Just while we're on the subject, Jarba's Dambarta can NOT be evaded, correct?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Artea on 2008-04-30 16:48 ]</font>

Legendria
Apr 30, 2008, 06:52 PM
On 2008-04-30 16:47, Artea wrote:
I'm thinking it's a regular attack (which would be the Orga's element, Ground) since you can evade it.

You can evade the light element sleep attacks in WB too.....but is that only light because the enemies are light?

Mindboggling.

BigshowPat
Apr 30, 2008, 06:55 PM
I honestly believe that element doesn't matter. Only a couple of hits from them and anyone is almost going to go down. They sure pack a punch!

Powder Keg
Apr 30, 2008, 07:09 PM
On 2008-04-30 16:52, Legendria wrote:

On 2008-04-30 16:47, Artea wrote:

You can evade the light element sleep attacks in WB too.....but is that only light because the enemies are light?

Mindboggling.

Only light enemies use it, there'd be an easier way to find out if an enemy of another element could use it. But I'm guessing it's the same deal as the Damfoie since you can evade it.

Things like Dambarta and Megid retain their respective elements though since they're the actual spell.

SHAWAKALA
Apr 30, 2008, 07:21 PM
on this topic of armor i find that lightning armor is completely useless on lightning attributed monsters.go figure.however i find the constant stream fire is more annoying than the fling fire.then again they really dont live long enough in my prescense to use any attack really.

Libram
May 1, 2008, 12:45 AM
On 2008-04-30 16:03, Kylie wrote:
I always wondered about this, but I was too lazy to test it out myself. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif Thanks for doing the work for me!

My pleasure.

*presents a bill for a bushel of bananas*

landman
May 1, 2008, 04:33 AM
Dambarta = not a problem
Two Foie balls = problem

Fire armor wins x_x

darkante
May 1, 2008, 05:01 AM
I feel that those 2-foie combos those vandas throws is pretty cheap considering the speed they are throwing the attack and the attack power of them.

And this also makes wonder why the hell the rest of the stage isnīt as lethal. :S
Bah, Cave B is hell on earth soloing. D:

Atomic646
May 1, 2008, 08:09 AM
you probably need armor with the same elemnt as the creature. just like how fire Jarba's do megid & dambarta not fire, like the vandas never to diga only fire attacks.

panzer_unit
May 1, 2008, 08:51 AM
On 2008-04-30 16:00, Ronin_Cooper wrote:
I really wish it were real damfoie though, even if that would mean higher level burn, being able to block it is rather annoying, as it often gets me killed (the blocking animation stops me from running away, the same reason I hate De Ragan's flamethrower, unless by some miracle I block every hit, I'm screwed).

Actually that attack is SE5 Burn, Damfoie would be totally weaker :

Evading a hit from the attack recovers more quickly than the bit of stagger if you take it directly. Sometimes you can jog out the side of their AOE like that.

Do hits from behind your character ignore EVP? If that's the case I'll have to start strafing backwards rather than running away when I see one starting the attack. They always tag me a couple times, which can be bad if I just end up stuck in someone else's flamethrower immediately or a couple foies hit right after.

Schubalts
May 1, 2008, 09:05 AM
On 2008-05-01 06:51, panzer_unit wrote:
Do hits from behind your character ignore EVP?

No. I've blocked a hit from behind multiple times.

MayLee
May 1, 2008, 09:43 AM
I too tend to think their damfoie is gound as well, I don't have very high percen ground weapons but I do have 46 and 50% Fire weapons so when they hi me with foie when throwing their haxored double foie attack I don't get damaged as much, when it comes to damoie I get burned alive, flinched and burned again.

Zorak000
May 1, 2008, 10:16 AM
anyone else notice that the ground vandas use fire and the fire vandas use ground? what a confused species...