PDA

View Full Version : Starting PSU

Gillian
Apr 30, 2008, 06:36 PM
Hey, I'm a long itme pso player and I've been looking to try out PSU as it looks great. Though I'm still unsure about getting it online.

If anyone here could give me some advice and experiences regarding this.

I know that unlike pso you cannot make a character to use in story mode and online mode as offline has it's own story. I do know that there is an offline mode character that can be made once story mode has been completed which seems a bit pointless...

Do mags still exist? I see a few people talking about them around here.

I hear that grinders now have a chance of failing and destroying weapons, even rare ones, surely not?

And my last question is which version is the most popular. PC, Ps2 or the 360 version? I'd like to play within a large community.

Nani-chan
Apr 30, 2008, 06:44 PM
Mags exist, but are either Ranged Mags (autofire left handed gun with no pp cost) or Technic Mags (like left handed wands).

Grinders used to destroy weapons, but thought that was changed in Aoti expansion.

Phoenix148
Apr 30, 2008, 06:44 PM
mags = yes
grinders = yes for non-expansion, no for expansion
pc n ps2 are same servers
community= xbox, but most of them do one mission when there isn't an event =P i dont no about the people on the pc/ps2 though

Legendria
Apr 30, 2008, 06:46 PM
On 2008-04-30 16:36, Gillian wrote:
Hey, I'm a long itme pso player and I've been looking to try out PSU as it looks great. Though I'm still unsure about getting it online.

If anyone here could give me some advice and experiences regarding this.

I know that unlike pso you cannot make a character to use in story mode and online mode as offline has it's own story. I do know that there is an offline mode character that can be made once story mode has been completed which seems a bit pointless...

Do mags still exist? I see a few people talking about them around here.

I hear that grinders now have a chance of failing and destroying weapons, even rare ones, surely not?

And my last question is which version is the most popular. PC, Ps2 or the 360 version? I'd like to play within a large community.

Story and Online are definetly different now. Similar to Blue Burst, all char data is stored serverside.

Mags as you remember them, no. The current system is a lot more useful/practical than the old one. Long story, someone else won't mind elaborating on it.

Grinding no longer breaks weapons, just lowers the maximum times you can grind it. If you're going from 4/10 to 5/10 and fail, the weapon becomes 0/9. Doesn't apply to original offline PSU.

As far as community goes, 360 is by far the best choice for population. PC/PS2 is sorta...struggling in that department lol.

Alizarin
Apr 30, 2008, 06:51 PM
Mags still exist, but their original functions and styles have been split up and distributed within other features.

You do have a "mag" that resides in your room. You use it for synthing items, and if you raise it by feeding items you can evolve it for combat use as an NPC.

The other two mags are the Shadoog/Range Mag/RCSM and Madoog/Tech Mag/TCSM. These are equippable weapons that appear floating at your side like mags do. The Shadoog is an auto-firing mag, and the Madoog can be linked with techs and used as a left-handed casting weapon.

Grinders don't destroy weapons, but if they "break" your current grinds reset to 0 and the maximum number of grinds is permanent reduced by 1 for that weapon. You do keep the weapon this time. Quick example: 3/0 -> Break -> 0/9

The largest community between the three resides on the 360 version, so that's where you'll probably want to go. PC and PS2 servers are linked so they share the same population, but still are lacking in numbers.

By the way, just for clarification I'm referring to the expansion Ambition of the Illuminus. Things such as Shadoogs and Madoogs are expansion only, so if you would like to start, just pick up the expansion version, the original isn't necessary unless you want to play the original story mode. For the 360 side, you'll have to nab the original PSU disc and then download the expansion from Xbox Live.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alizarin on 2008-04-30 16:57 ]</font>

Gillian
Apr 30, 2008, 06:55 PM
Well thanks for the info. And it's a shame about the pc/ps2 versions. I don't know about buying a 360 for just Psu O_o

I gather from what your saying that a high majority (if not all) of the people here have the 360 version?

Legendria
Apr 30, 2008, 06:57 PM
On 2008-04-30 16:55, Gillian wrote:
Well thanks for the info. And it's a shame about the pc/ps2 versions. I don't know about buying a 360 for just Psu O_o

I gather from what your saying that a high majority (if not all) of the people here have the 360 version?

Seeing as how it's a forum, you know there's going to be a lot of PC players simply by default.

......But damn near all of the PC/PS2'ers that exist post here lol.

Alizarin
Apr 30, 2008, 07:01 PM
A lot of people do, I would say maybe the 360 population that's actively playing (not counting the current MAG event since it's a special occasion) is roughly 3-5 times the PC/Ps2 population.

On that note, good time to join as well. The MAG event brings back a lot of PSO elements such as clothing, missions and weapons.

Phoenix148
Apr 30, 2008, 07:02 PM
and the xboxers are just too lazy to search or check, that is usually where all the stupid already answered questions come from, at least thats what i hear in the parties when i ask if they no this site. imagine if they fused both the servers 0_o

JaiBlue
Apr 30, 2008, 07:07 PM
Gillian, if you really plan to join, I can't stress this enough please, please, PLEASE get the expansion or your game play experience will be non existent.

Dark Emerald EXE
Apr 30, 2008, 07:41 PM
On 2008-04-30 17:07, JaiBlue wrote:
Gillian, if you really plan to join, I can't stress this enough please, please, PLEASE get the expansion or your game play experience will be non existent.

agrees