PDA

View Full Version : lol MAG will be the death of 360s

The_Gio
May 1, 2008, 01:49 PM
But I think MAG will be the death of 360s,since the 360 cant take that much play time without it melting its internals and getting the famous red ring of death.I personally have one and its broken so many times on its own,im just glad I play on my PC and that I have the best buy warantee to replace it if it breaks again.So how many wanna guess Tidus' 360 will get the red ring of death at the rate hes going?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dhylec on 2008-05-01 13:55 ]</font>

Anduril
May 1, 2008, 01:52 PM
As long as the thing is properly ventilated a 360 can run for several days without suffering any issues. Though having it on that much is pushing it.

Libram
May 1, 2008, 01:52 PM
I never thought of that. Maybe if I return to my main I can surpass all the 360'ers once they're machines break. Hmm...

xzidanex
May 1, 2008, 01:53 PM
Well it sucks that you had so many problems with yours o.O I've had a 360 since launch, and haven't had any problems with it. Luck of the draw I suppose. Either way, if he's been able to get that much out of it so far, I don't think he'll have a problem.

Dark Emerald EXE
May 1, 2008, 01:53 PM
Um im not completely sure but just playing judt about all the time doesnt give the red ring.....ROD can happen due to anything...its random i believe.

But if he does im pretty sure he has a plan B. like for me....if my 360 got the ROD i have an extra one (i wont that one) still in the box.............

Dark Emerald EXE
May 1, 2008, 01:55 PM
On 2008-05-01 11:53, xzidanex wrote:
Well it sucks that you had so many problems with yours o.O I've had a 360 since launch, and haven't had any problems with it. Luck of the draw I suppose. Either way, if he's been able to get that much out of it so far, I don't think he'll have a problem.

nice

yea ive known people who had there 360 since launch as well....never had the ROD..... i believe that the ROD occurs when your 360 is badly ventaliated or u have been moving it around aka (shaking up the inside)

hamb0ne10
May 1, 2008, 01:56 PM
im trying to figure out how he tidis has that much time on his hands to rack up soo many kills, he is currently at around 187000 kills, dont these people have jobs and/or school.

APEXi
May 1, 2008, 01:58 PM
funny poll. my elite just got the RLOD (the new RROD). after taking it back to best buy for a replacement (2yr in-house warranty) i got a box that had an inoperable power button. took that one back the next day, got another. the longest any box i've had last was something like 6 months.

Dark Emerald EXE
May 1, 2008, 02:02 PM
On 2008-05-01 11:56, hamb0ne10 wrote:
im trying to figure out how he tidis has that much time on his hands to rack up soo many kills, he is currently at around 187000 kills, dont these people have jobs and/or school.

eh its possible.....its possible they get friends that arent doing anything while there at work/school n vice versa
but ive heard people say it was just him....

I saw tidus one day when he was coming out the counter but i didnt think bout asking him about it :-S

don't really bother me

The normal spread needle will be out.................eventually

Katrina
May 1, 2008, 02:17 PM
Actually, if you have a model manufactured after June 07, most have the new Falcon chip and secondary heatsink. Do they stop the RROD? nada, but it does help with the cooling.

The long hours on Mag are definitely gonna take a toll on some of the systems, I'm curious to see how well they hold up.

Atomic646
May 1, 2008, 02:19 PM
If I remember correctly the RROD occurs because of a chip in side that over heats due to the X Clamp, don't know for sure on that though. All 360's manufactured after the release of the Xbox 360 Halo 3 edition, have been fixed. ( I think January 2008).

Dark Emerald EXE
May 1, 2008, 02:23 PM
even thought i bought mine in july 2007 orinically....it was manufactured in july 2006 xD the only problem i had with mine was the disk drive acted up but ive yet to have RROD

Atomic646
May 1, 2008, 02:30 PM
Mine caught a flame when fixing the usb drives :
bought another

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Atomic646 on 2008-05-01 12:31 ]</font>

Dark Emerald EXE
May 1, 2008, 02:33 PM
Lets settle this one and for all

let us keep are 360 with there few flaws.and u guys keep ur PS2/PCs with possible viruses on them.... *problem solved*

and now that i think of it....dont you need a certain type of video card to play PSU correctly on the PC or no????

Atomic646
May 1, 2008, 02:35 PM
viruses lol

Zorafim
May 1, 2008, 02:38 PM
This topic amuses me. It's kind of sad that a gaming console's main weakness is that it breaks down.

The_Gio
May 1, 2008, 02:39 PM
On 2008-05-01 12:33, Charger89 wrote:

let us keep are 360 with there few flaws.and u guys keep ur PS2/PCs with possible viruses on them.... *problem solved*

and now that i think of it....dont you need a certain type of video card to play PSU correctly on the PC or no????

lol well difference is viruses are only caught if you dont take care of your computer,so its preventable,while 360s just get hot on their own.It doesnt require a certain video card,it just requires alot(not WTF),but it does require a fair amount of power to run.Ill give you that one.

Dark Emerald EXE
May 1, 2008, 02:43 PM
On 2008-05-01 12:39, The_Gio wrote:

On 2008-05-01 12:33, Charger89 wrote:

lol well difference is viruses are only caught if you dont take care of your computer,so its preventable,while 360s just get hot on their own.It doesnt require a certain video card,it just requires alot(not WTF),but it does require a fair amount of power to run.Ill give you that one.

Most people i know who got RROD played for like 15 hours a day straight............so........yea.......i mean its just like a computer...it can technically be on for days but at one point the fan will stop movin thus over heating the motherboard then you cant use it.............. just about the same thing....

The Solution.......take breaks..........and actaully turn the 360 off when your taking breaks.......

NikkiC
May 1, 2008, 02:46 PM
A reasonably good PC capable of running this game, with minimal slowdown, will cost around the same as a 360, over here at least. I'd much rather have that and take 10 mins once a month or so to scan for viruses than have something that could fry itself at any given moment. Shame microsoft and reliable don't fit in the same sentence, probably ruined this event for a lot of people.

Atomic646
May 1, 2008, 02:53 PM
On 2008-05-01 12:43, Charger89 wrote:

[quote]On 2008-05-01 12:33, Charger89 wrote:

Most people i know who got RROD played for like 15 hours a day straight............so........yea.......i mean its just like a computer...it can technically be on for days but at one point the fan will stop movin thus over heating the motherboard then you cant use it.............. just about the same thing....

The Solution.......take breaks..........and actaully turn the 360 off when your taking breaks.......

my 360 is on about 22hrs a day everyday. no RROD. its on right now while im in the living room my 360's in my room

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Atomic646 on 2008-05-01 12:54 ]</font>

razkal
May 1, 2008, 02:55 PM
Almost did for me, thank goodness my friend lent me his extra 1. A launch one and an elite both fried!!!!!

Atomic646
May 1, 2008, 03:12 PM
ouch.

Dark Emerald EXE
May 1, 2008, 03:19 PM
On 2008-05-01 12:53, Atomic646 wrote:

On 2008-05-01 12:43, Charger89 wrote:

[quote]On 2008-05-01 12:33, Charger89 wrote:

my 360 is on about 22hrs a day everyday. no RROD. its on right now while im in the living room my 360's in my room

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Atomic646 on 2008-05-01 12:54 ]</font>

u r one lucky SOB lol jk
i cant prove that dat works
but i know when im at home (thursday night-sunday) i have it on most of the day but when im not usin it i turn it off.

Atomic646
May 1, 2008, 03:23 PM
ah. I know I should for the sake of the 360 & the environment. lol. but I wanna stay in universe 1. LOL

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Atomic646 on 2008-05-01 13:24 ]</font>

Cracka_J
May 1, 2008, 03:26 PM
I'm surprised most of you guys talking about rrod don't actually know what it is...

Yes, it has to do with overheating, but what mainly happens is the video card overheats, and causes it to unsolder at certain points. The system can no longer communicate with the vid card, so bam, you got red ring. It's not a virus, hack, or anything of the like...it's your video card literally being disconnected from the rest of the hardware, or just plain fried.

Certain 3rd parties make intercoolers and the like to *help* prevent this issue from happening, although I have no idea how well they work.

I would *bet* if Tidus has that much time to devote toward winning this kill competition, he's taking no second guesses with a red ring. He's got another sealed 360 from best buy sitting right there with a receipt on top. If no red ring, refund. If red ring, he can still win & resell the new box.

That is, unless microsoft binds xbl to your particular 360...I don't think they do, so it would be technically possible for him to hop on another 360 if he got red ring. If they don't allow that, then I guess you can toss that theory out the window http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Anduril
May 1, 2008, 03:30 PM
@Cracka-J: You can migrate your GamerTag to any XBox 360, but you need to redownload the content even if you are using the same HDD on a new machine becuase of some verification issues, so your theory is sound.

Atomic646
May 1, 2008, 03:31 PM
or he has the Intercooler & fan stand hook up going.

Dark Emerald EXE
May 1, 2008, 03:32 PM
On 2008-05-01 13:26, Cracka_J wrote:
I'm surprised most of you guys talking about rrod don't actually know what it is...

Yes, it has to do with overheating, but what mainly happens is the video card overheats, and causes it to unsolder at certain points. The system can no longer communicate with the vid card, so bam, you got red ring. It's not a virus, hack, or anything of the like...it's your video card literally being disconnected from the rest of the hardware, or just plain fried.

Certain 3rd parties make intercoolers and the like to *help* prevent this issue from happening, although I have no idea how well they work.

I would *bet* if Tidus has that much time to devote toward winning this kill competition, he's taking no second guesses with a red ring. He's got another sealed 360 from best buy sitting right there with a receipt on top. If no red ring, refund. If red ring, he can still win & resell the new box.

That is, unless microsoft binds xbl to your particular 360...I don't think they do, so it would be technically possible for him to hop on another 360 if he got red ring. If they don't allow that, then I guess you can toss that theory out the window http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

there were rumors that said that 3rd party coolers actaully made RROD occur quicker...i cant say if thats true or not....

I'm not sayin i would but for those who would know what there doing, couldnt they open the xbox 360 up and get a soldering iron and "Solder" back together....i know how to solder but to a certain point...but i wouldnt open mine....<<<Wants to keep warranty

landman
May 1, 2008, 03:33 PM
The only time I've ad to send my xbox for reparations was because it's DVD driver lens broke, never had a red ring of those since launch

Dark Emerald EXE
May 1, 2008, 03:34 PM
On 2008-05-01 13:23, Atomic646 wrote:
ah. I know I should for the sake of the 360 & the environment. lol. but I wanna stay in universe 1. LOL

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Atomic646 on 2008-05-01 13:24 ]</font>

i kno ur electric bill is high
or if not urs...ur parents

AlphaMinotaux
May 1, 2008, 03:36 PM
My 360 is over a year old and between me and my brothers its on over 12 hours every day.

It seems like the 360 has such a low failure rate is because the people that are happy with it don't care to share with the world.

While the people who have had their 360 die want to let the all of the internet know that it did.

Dark Emerald EXE
May 1, 2008, 03:36 PM
On 2008-05-01 13:33, landman wrote:
The only time I've ad to send my xbox for reparations was because it's DVD driver lens broke, never had a red ring of those since launch

same thing with mine
anything i put in my 360 it would see it as a Blue Ray Disc for some reason.....i could play CDs for some reason.... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Atomic646
May 1, 2008, 03:41 PM
On 2008-05-01 13:34, Charger89 wrote:

On 2008-05-01 13:23, Atomic646 wrote:

i kno ur electric bill is high
or if not urs...ur parents

3 Quarters of the electic bill is my room between 11 speakers and a powered sub, t.v. ect... its actually isn't.

Kathrin
May 1, 2008, 04:39 PM
I have opened my box and cleaned the fans and now its standing under my tv totaly open. So i can see everything inside it while playing. Mainly because it started to overheat awhile ago. But I have had my xbox from release day. And it have been on nearly every day, and many times been on for many days without any break. And so far its working nearly perfect. Just that it has overheating problems now as its summer here and pretty warm in the air. So no cold air to cool it down with.

A tips: Everyone with an xbox that have worked for along time should consider opening it and do some fixing and modify it so it can take more heat. Simply cut the top of the xbox infront of the fan so it pulls more air into the xbox. This can be done pretty easy and can still look cool if you put some work into it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif Make it look like a car hood or something. Haha. Well. It have worked for me atleast http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Dark Emerald EXE
May 1, 2008, 04:42 PM
i'll do that when i ever i get a another 360 just to toy with......i dont wanna mess my spare one. (its brand new)

Kylie
May 1, 2008, 04:45 PM
So that's how that red ring wizardry happens?

Dark Emerald EXE
May 1, 2008, 04:46 PM
if u go to page 2 of this someone explained how it worked....i forgot the name of the person tho http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Charger89 on 2008-05-01 14:47 ]</font>

The_Gio
May 1, 2008, 04:52 PM

There,if you wanna know how it works. Unsolder is a short way to explain that the metal thats melted together to hold the parts together,melt because of the intense heat and stop holding together

Kylie
May 1, 2008, 04:57 PM
Oh, that's what I figured. When my folks got my PS3, they said the guy told them that you pretty much have to buy the cooling fan attachment. Doesn't the 360 have something like that, or does it not help?

The_Gio
May 1, 2008, 05:03 PM
On 2008-05-01 13:32, Charger89 wrote:

there were rumors that said that 3rd party coolers actaully made RROD occur quicker...i cant say if thats true or not....

I'm not sayin i would but for those who would know what there doing, couldnt they open the xbox 360 up and get a soldering iron and "Solder" back together....i know how to solder but to a certain point...but i wouldnt open mine....<<<Wants to keep warranty

Kathrin
May 1, 2008, 05:09 PM
On 2008-05-01 14:52, The_Gio wrote:

There,if you wanna know how it works. Unsolder is a short way to explain that the metal thats melted together to hold the parts together,melt because of the intense heat and stop holding together

Also. If any of you want to have a guide on how to repair the RROD then just send a message to [email protected] and i will send you a guide I made for some while ago. I fixed my uncle xbox that way and his xbox still runs. So if you thought about throwing your xbox away because of RROD, give it a second chanse by fixing it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Kylie
May 1, 2008, 05:10 PM
Ouch, sucks for those 360 boys. ...sucks for me as well because now people know I don't read threads. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Mystil
May 1, 2008, 06:44 PM
On 2008-05-01 11:49, The_Gio wrote:
But I think MAG will be the death of 360s,since the 360 cant take that much play time without it melting its internals and getting the famous red ring of death.I personally have one and its broken so many times on its own,im just glad I play on my PC and that I have the best buy warantee to replace it if it breaks again.So how many wanna guess Tidus' 360 will get the red ring of death at the rate hes going?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dhylec on 2008-05-01 13:55 ]</font>

Wont happen with the elite or later 360s, with the new improved cooling system.

Legendria
May 1, 2008, 09:09 PM
On 2008-05-01 16:44, Mystil wrote:

Wont happen with the elite or later 360s, with the new improved cooling system.

This.

When I was playing Mass Effect, I left my Xbox on for at least 9 days in a row while I played, slept, went to work, played, ate, did other things and came back. No rings.

I think it can handle PSU.

Voison
May 1, 2008, 10:23 PM
well iv had my 360 since it launched.

And I have never had any Problems. Ya it freezes once a every week.

but I leave my xbox on for a week at a time siting in my idle spot.

So idk...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: -Chronus on 2008-05-01 20:24 ]</font>

Genoa
May 1, 2008, 10:32 PM
Despite the PC/PS2 Population being much lower than the 360. The ability to take snaps, not worry about RROD, putting it in windows mode and simultaneously be forum whoring, have the ability to alter my game graphics, controls, frame-skip, sound, etc..., I'll have to vote for:
thus proving PC/ps2>360
... Did I mention I don't have to pay for xbox live? And that Vent is pretty awesome... despite the fact that it's only me and one other friend now that some of my buddies quit

Alastor_Haven
May 1, 2008, 10:48 PM
Both have flaws

End of story

GTFO with the console war

That is all

Syl
May 1, 2008, 10:50 PM
On 2008-05-01 20:32, MegamanX wrote:
despite the fact that it's only me and one other friend now that some of my buddies quit

When you have about 25 people on it makes for good times http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Ryna
May 1, 2008, 10:51 PM
I'm closing this before it degenerates into another console flame war.