PDA

View Full Version : New Stage Environments...

AlMcFly
May 1, 2008, 02:25 PM
I never thought about this before but I realized that this game kind of lacks in the locale department. Stages I would like to see:

1. Stage with a Snowy setting (Ice planet maybe).

2. Complete with icy caves.

3. An actual desert stage without any visual markers (coming with it's own mirages, hidden oasis', and the occasional sand storm where you can't see 3 feet in front of you).

4. A tropical rain storm/hurricane stage (with lightning effects or trees and things blowing away in the bg or something, but may be too graphically intense).

5. Thought I had more ideas but can't think of any on the fly. What do you think?

Anduril
May 1, 2008, 02:27 PM
Well there was a snow covered mission on Moatoob in Ep1. So they could concievably make one, since the Ice Caves don't really scream Frozen. And the Rain Thing would be great.

NikkiC
May 1, 2008, 02:29 PM
Would be nice to see some actual weather effects and such. Problem is, it'll most likely get far too laggy for the poor console users.

RAGNAGELPPOD
May 1, 2008, 02:30 PM
I dunno about the whole rain thing; that sounds like LAG to me. I can barely handle the cherryblossoms on ryucross when the party gets large.

I wouldn't mind fighting on a beach or something though. Maybe they could implement some kind of feature such that your character will run faster in the water if he/she is wearing a kind of swimsuit.

Sinue_v2
May 1, 2008, 02:36 PM
I just want to see more detail put into the stages. Make them more unique and interesting by breaking up samey rooms the occasional unique geography. PSU's level design actually feels more like a step back to the 3D dungeons of Phantasy Star I, rather than any kind of improvement.

Zorafim
May 1, 2008, 02:36 PM
On 2008-05-01 12:25, McFlyVII wrote:
I never thought about this before but I realized that this game kind of lacks in the locale department.

You just now realized this?

I myself want to see stereotypical stages that would be seen in previous phantasy star games. That being, as you said before, a huge sand desert, a huge ice desert, and a technological paradise (I guess we already have that last one).
I also want to see Neudaiz take more advantage of its water element. So far, considering 80% of neudaiz' surface is water, the only water stages are a series of islands and a technological water temple (not that I'm complaining about those). I'd like to see some stage that is actually built on the water, instead of just beside it. Something, a series of floating platforms on the sea with monsters coming from the sides of it, or something to that effect.
I also wouldn't mind seeing something like the last stages of Sonic Adventure 2, which partially take place in space. Something along the lines of us running along the scaffolds of the construction site of the colony. That's something that isn't done too often, and it's a nice change of pace from the dimly lit Linear Line stages.

I'm sure I can brainstorm some more, but my ideas will be just as sucky.

panzer_unit
May 1, 2008, 02:42 PM
I'd like to see a lot more Rykros missions where you actually get the feeling of being on an evil planet, instead of some disco version of a Relics site. Evil Raffon Lakeshore, Evil Agata Islands, Evil Old Rozenom City...

AlMcFly
May 1, 2008, 02:44 PM
On 2008-05-01 12:36, Zorafim wrote:
I'd like to see some stage that is actually built on the water, instead of just beside it. Something, a series of floating platforms on the sea with monsters coming from the sides of it, or something to that effect.

This also crossed my mind but didn't know how to put it into words! Same thing with sky platforms in the clouds.

I also wouldn't mind seeing something like the last stages of Sonic Adventure 2, which partially take place in space. Something along the lines of us running along the scaffolds of the construction site of the colony.

Nice! That would be very exciting. Maybe needing to wear space suits or breathing apparatuses.

The_Gio
May 1, 2008, 02:46 PM
well the levels are getting better little by little in terms of art direction.Look at Ryukros,I loved Sakura Blasts cherry blossoms,they could reskin a whole map lay out if they want,just make it look different enough to make a difference.You have some good ideas tho,and I dont think the weather would be much of a problem,itll only make it lag if its interactive otherwise,itd just be a picture moving and repeating without us noticing.I think the team developing is just lazy,like with MAG.They couldve reskinned alot of monsters to look like the old pso monsters (sharks were reskins of boomas,which we do have)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The_Gio on 2008-05-01 12:48 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The_Gio on 2008-05-01 12:49 ]</font>

Zorafim
May 1, 2008, 02:47 PM
Space suits wouldn't be too necessary. They could make up some BS science like, the size of the colony is enough to contain air, or there being artificial gravity caused by the colony's rotating strong enough to contain the air, etc. It's just cooler without the needing of more objects.

Anduril
May 1, 2008, 02:50 PM
Or something about Photons being manipulated in some funky way by our Nanotransformers allowing us to exist in some kind of miniature self-contained air space while in the lack of an atmosphere.

Oooo! That just made me think, it would be cool to have a mission inside of the Alternate Dimension that the Unification point sucked the SEED into.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Anduril on 2008-05-01 12:53 ]</font>

RemiusTA
May 1, 2008, 03:02 PM
On 2008-05-01 12:27, Anduril wrote:
Well there was a snow covered mission on Moatoob in Ep1. So they could concievably make one, since the Ice Caves don't really scream Frozen. And the Rain Thing would be great.

That was frozen over, not snowy.

Generic play areas we need :

-Snowy Winter area
-Lightning thunderstorm forest
-Lava flowing cave setting, complete with fireballs
-Old ruins temple place. (As in, ancient earth like)
-Hot, metallic, clanking gears factory stage.

This game has neat settings, but all the indoor places look basically the same in each planet.

Zorafim
May 1, 2008, 03:03 PM
On 2008-05-01 12:50, Anduril wrote:
Oooo! That just made me think, it would be cool to have a mission inside of the Alternate Dimension that the Unification point sucked the SEED into.

That happened in PSIV, actually. That's the last level, an area where the evil of the universe was sealed. You walked on crystal (glass?) platforms, and the background looked like something out of a 70's hippy music video (or earthbound, either or). It may turn out that the interior of Ryukross may look like that.
It's also where baby Dark Forces come from.

Kion
May 1, 2008, 03:04 PM
On 2008-05-01 12:42, panzer_unit wrote:
I'd like to see a lot more Rykros missions where you actually get the feeling of being on an evil planet, instead of some disco version of a Relics site. Evil Raffon Lakeshore, Evil Agata Islands, Evil Old Rozenom City...

this post is freaking win.

Anduril
May 1, 2008, 03:05 PM
On 2008-05-01 13:03, Zorafim wrote:

On 2008-05-01 12:50, Anduril wrote:

That happened in PSIV, actually. That's the last level, an area where the evil of the universe was sealed. You walked on crystal (glass?) platforms, and the background looked like something out of a 70's hippy music video (or earthbound, either or). It may turn out that the interior of Ryukross may look like that.
It's also where baby Dark Forces come from.

I really need to get my hands on PSI-IV. It would be interesting if Rykros' interior was like that, but then again I think the "Dark RELICS" may be the interior, so alas it is possible it shan't be.

xEndrance
May 1, 2008, 03:05 PM
I agree to all of those but one thing it might be harder than said making all the graphics and animations

Zorafim
May 1, 2008, 03:09 PM
If you do play them, play PSIV first, and PSIII last. Unless you really like pre-SNES RPGs, the others are just too dated for casual play.
And I, too, cannot wait to see what Ryukross has in store for us. Considering they completely disrupted story mode's flow by randomly announcing it out of nowhere for no reason, it's gotta end up being important.

Weeaboolits
May 1, 2008, 03:13 PM
On 2008-05-01 12:47, Zorafim wrote:
Space suits wouldn't be too necessary. They could make up some BS science like, the size of the colony is enough to contain air, or there being artificial gravity caused by the colony's rotating strong enough to contain the air, etc. It's just cooler without the needing of more objects.Just put a glass bubble around it and call it good.

Also, we need more areas with water.

I don't mean like the pavillion of air, I mean like PSO's Seabed where you were waste-deep in it half the time, or an area like seaside, Paracabanea (I dunno how to spell it) coast sure looks like it, so why not?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ronin_Cooper on 2008-05-01 13:15 ]</font>

Shake
May 1, 2008, 03:33 PM
I'd like to see areas that look like Paracabana Coast. Seaside and Mountains, please?

Zorafim
May 1, 2008, 03:38 PM
Well, we have mountains in Neudaiz. I can't say I'm disappointed in that area, except for those worms. We even have jungle in the form of the AoI rappy mission. In fact, neudaiz has many areas that are just plain awesome. Again, except for those worms.
A seaside would be awesome, though. Like I said before, we're really missing out on water type areas, considering 80% of one of the planets is water, and the main city is even built on water. Probably, that Otaku mountain thing will give us something. I thought I heard something about there being a guardian water spirit up there?

Darius_Drake
May 1, 2008, 03:43 PM
On 2008-05-01 13:09, Zorafim wrote:
If you do play them, play PSIV first, and PSIII last. Unless you really like pre-SNES RPGs, the others are just too dated for casual play.
And I, too, cannot wait to see what Ryukross has in store for us. Considering they completely disrupted story mode's flow by randomly announcing it out of nowhere for no reason, it's gotta end up being important.

Going back through PS I - IV, I must admit that PS IV was the best of the bunch, but I thought that the original was well made and can be a welcome casual play for a handheld when you are on the road.

Zorafim
May 1, 2008, 03:48 PM
I'm not going to pretend pre-PSIV games were bad, but it's not suitable for everyone. It's nearly impossible to get through PSI dungeons without a map, and it can be confusing as to where you should go. PSII wasn't as bad, but it was still pretty difficult to get through the areas without powerleveling or without quickly going in and getting out of the levels asap. PSIII just had too much backtracking, and random encounters occurred way too often. They definitely show their age, but PSIV aged fairly gracefully. It's a shame it's the most lighthearted of the series, though...

SonicTMP
May 1, 2008, 03:49 PM
Some new envrioments would be nice. Only way they are going to do that is to release another xpac. Which is unlikely. It would solve alot of problems though since they could fix alot of crappy coding.

GaNksTa
May 1, 2008, 05:12 PM
I remember it raining somewhere is PSO.. it was either Forest 2 or the Control Area; On the original XBOX I never got any lag from it.. so lag might not matter..

Kylie
May 1, 2008, 05:16 PM
On 2008-05-01 12:27, Anduril wrote:

Oh, hell yes. I forgot about those, but they'd own online. That ice forest thing was just incredible.

Syl
May 1, 2008, 05:19 PM
It rained in Forest 2 lol.

But I have always vouched for real-time weather effects in lobbies/missions, would add so much depth to the game in terms of visuals.

Kanore
May 1, 2008, 05:20 PM
Everything suggested in this topic is too much work and too much original content for Sonic Team to handle.

If any of you worked at ST you'd be fired for having original ideas.

Indica
May 1, 2008, 05:41 PM
Offline on the original PSU, Im pretty sure there are a few Snow effect maps

Jainsea
May 1, 2008, 06:01 PM
On 2008-05-01 12:42, panzer_unit wrote:

Yea, it be nice indeed. A barren landscape where the plant life has died off and a strange purple mist rises off the ground. Posionous areas and eletric areas where shockwaves hit at random causing SE and such. I liked how the landscape was altered when Firebreak was here, I dont see why they could not do that for other places making it look dark and evil....