PDA

View Full Version : PSU Shadow Effects???

BigshowPat
May 2, 2008, 04:23 PM
Okay, I have a simple question.

Why don't we have shadow effects on our characters? I thought that when AOI came out our characters were going to have shadows, not just the same big blobs we still have?

If anyone can answer this please do so: Since we were supposed to have shadow effects do you think we'll ever get them?

I was playing PSO today and was reminded how we were supposed to have shadows.

Thanks!

AlMcFly
May 2, 2008, 04:30 PM
I never heard we were supposed to get an update to our shadows but my real question is, why does this matter? Better looking snapshots? Trying to get more use out of your gfx card?

BigshowPat
May 2, 2008, 04:32 PM
I apologize but I forgot to mention I'm on the 360. So no snapshots or getting more use out of my gfx card. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Just miss the shadows...adds a more realistic effect to the game.

Garnet_Moon
May 2, 2008, 04:33 PM
Why would you want active shadows? Then the people on consoles will whine because it lags them down considerably. Half the people who play PSU are either on an already slowdown-ridden console. Why make it worse for them? Maybe 10 people could take full use of active shadows and not have their system crash or experience any slowdown.

BigshowPat
May 2, 2008, 04:38 PM
People on consoles already whine so what's a little more lag? We have so much right now that it won't make a difference at all if there is a tad bit more.

Ryna
May 2, 2008, 04:39 PM
At the least, shadows are available on the PC version for characters. I'm not sure about the 360 version.

garjian
May 2, 2008, 04:39 PM
On 2008-05-02 14:38, BigshowPat wrote:
tad bit

???

AC9breaker
May 2, 2008, 04:53 PM
No shadows for 360. PC onry.

SpikeOtacon
May 2, 2008, 04:55 PM
I see a small circle underneith of my characters on the PC version, even with shadows disabled in the options menu. That's good enough for me for this game.

AlMcFly
May 2, 2008, 05:09 PM
I am just not understanding the appeal of shadows that serve absolutely no purpose at all at a cost of more lag. What's a little more lag? Haha, glad I'm in the PC community or else I'd probably stab myself talking to you online.

Zantra
May 2, 2008, 05:30 PM
On 2008-05-02 14:38, BigshowPat wrote:
People on consoles already whine so what's a little more lag? We have so much right now that it won't make a difference at all if there is a tad bit more.

Yeah... well it won't make a difference at all, if we don't have realistic shadows, either.

Shinko
May 2, 2008, 06:25 PM
You know i just don't get it. what's so special about having a shadow. ???? most real looking? why go though so much effort to make it look so real when that effort could of been used to improve gameplay? graphic are a part over the game but its not everything

Uncle_bob
May 2, 2008, 11:57 PM
On 2008-05-02 14:53, AC9breaker wrote:
No shadows for 360. PC onry.

They're not missing out on much.

Seriously.

Ahkaskar
May 3, 2008, 12:39 AM
PC has the option for mapped shadows instead of a blob. It looks bad.

In all seriousness, I never notice my character's shadow unless I'm sitting in place, you know, not playing the game.

SpikeOtacon
May 3, 2008, 04:43 AM
Trust me guys, the shadows won't let you 'Sam Fisher/Solid Snake' the enemies. They can smell you coming from three blocks away.

Katrina
May 3, 2008, 05:40 AM
There's times I'd rather play 8 bit then have lag issues http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif No shadows works for me.

Weeaboolits
May 3, 2008, 06:31 AM
I hate the unmapped shadows, they look like they're pointing in a direction. If you're gonna give us a half-assed circle for a shadow, at least make it a CIRCLE and not some oval that points north.

MaRKiS
May 3, 2008, 06:32 AM
PSU is so craptastically programmed that even with a zomg1500€ GFX card you have lag when there is more than one techer in your party. I can't think what would happen if you turn shadows on.

Also, shadows in PSU are a thing you would like to laugh at. They show up always in the same angle and size (pretty small even if you're 250cm tall), and light sources... well... is there actually light sources in PSU? The answer is no. PSU only has a shitty global lightning system (don't remember if it's called that way, little 3D programming here)

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/2438/psu20080503131859000tv8.th.jpg (http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/2438/psu20080503131859000tv8.jpg)

Weeaboolits
May 3, 2008, 06:49 AM
Heh, I assumed they used the PO shadow mapping, which was mapped but stayed below your feet like the crappy circle, it didn't look too bad, I think.

BigshowPat
May 3, 2008, 10:40 AM
Didn't expect all these answers. All I wanted was to know why they didn't implement it and if we would ever get it.

We ALL know how badly programmed PSU really is. THAT IS A GIVEN. Real-time shadows, programmed correctly could have little to no effect on lag, BUT since this is PSU we ALL know that PSU would have horrendous lag.

We on the 360 already have so much lag at times that it is downright stupid. I was just making a little joke that if we had shadows there would only be a "tad bit" of lag.

Anyone on the 360 should have seen that and laughed. Sorry about bringing up such a stupid topic that nobody seems to care about. Just wanted to know!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BigshowPat on 2008-05-03 08:46 ]</font>

Ithildin
May 3, 2008, 10:52 AM
I put shadows on on my pc. Psu ran slower than a stoned sloth. So I removed them. I'm not sure if no one cares about this topic. I would like to see shadows applied to the charaters in psu. I just can't.