PDA

View Full Version : All About CASTs ~ Lore / Info Questions

Ragna_Divide
May 4, 2008, 06:22 AM
Being a shameless fanfic writer, I'm finding myself wanting to elaborate on my characters' stories... and while it doesn't really matter in-game, it's enjoyable to write. But since the game doesn't outwardly elaborate on a lot of things (at least as far as I've been able to see), I had a few questions. In particular, about CASTs... as Newmans and Beasts and Humans seem fairly clear-cut.

And even if you don't know the official answer to any of these questions, feel free to throw out thoughts.

#1: What does 'SUV' stand for, at least in the PSU universe?

#2: Are CASTs organic in any way, or are they completely inorganic? Their appearance would suggest the latter, but they're susceptible to poisons and other toxins. Granted, that could just be a game mechanic thing.

#3: Most CASTs seem relatively human in terms of appearance and behavior, though some like Lou are extremely stiff and formal with no apparent consideration for human emotions. Are CASTs "programmed" that way at "birth" or is it a matter of free will? Do CASTs have emotions at all, or do some / many of them simply try to emulate emotions when around other sentients to facilitate communication?

#4: Who or what is the head of the Parum CAST society?

#5: Can a CAST survive injuries that would kill a regular individual? Such as losing an arm or the like.

#6: What exactly is a "CAST clone"? I read something about this in one of the Episode 2 missions, but it didn't exactly elaborate except to say that they're generally inferior to the original.

Just a few curious questions, and I imagine some or all of them may have no official answer, but I was just wondering.

fayt6
May 4, 2008, 06:45 AM
1 i dont know what suv stands for

2 casts prolly are not organic...it may be like terminator with human skin over top?

3 prolly programed

4 who the fuck knows

5yea prolly can cause its not like they depend on limbs id say as long as there core processes remain intact they can survive

6and yea casts can be cloned...like sheep =P

hope this helps lol....ps i guessed on all this stuff

relentless
May 4, 2008, 06:51 AM
Speculation, don't quote me on that. <3

1: I assume that the rl meaning of this abbreviation doesn't make sense at all, and because there's no official answer to this, I guess this is left to your own imagination.
Edit: Possible rl meanings: http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/SUV (nothing fits into the PSU category, meh, some of them even sound weird in general lol)

2: Inorganic, I can imagine CASTs bleed in animes and stuff, but those are still not considered organic imo.
Edit: http://youtube.com/watch?v=h1sb-pzyC8E (1:40)

3: They're programmed to have a certain way of actions and ways they interact with things, but they are able to build up own experiences and "emotions" (if you can call that, you never know) from the time when they are "born".
Example: PSU v1 Offline Story Mode, in a Moatoob scene one of the Lou replikas "cries", and I guess that actually means something. (didn't find a video or pic form the actual scene, but the people who actually played it should know)

4: Dunno, doesn't it have to do something with Mother Brain? Or wait, that was the A.M.F. head? Can't remember and not sure about this question. <.<

5: Yes.

6: I assume if you speak of a CAST clone, you're talking about replikas from the origin, meaning all the Lou and Magashi copies for instance.

And yeah, I'm just asnwering those questions with my own thoughts so shush. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SeKaI on 2008-05-04 05:18 ]</font>

Rayokarna
May 4, 2008, 07:18 AM
On 2008-05-04 04:22, Ragna_Divide wrote:

#2: Are CASTs organic in any way, or are they completely inorganic? Their appearance would suggest the latter, but they're susceptible to poisons and other toxins. Granted, that could just be a game mechanic thing.

#3: Most CASTs seem relatively human in terms of appearance and behavior, though some like Lou are extremely stiff and formal with no apparent consideration for human emotions. Are CASTs "programmed" that way at "birth" or is it a matter of free will? Do CASTs have emotions at all, or do some / many of them simply try to emulate emotions when around other sentients to facilitate communication?

#5: Can a CAST survive injuries that would kill a regular individual? Such as losing an arm or the like.

#6: What exactly is a "CAST clone"? I read something about this in one of the Episode 2 missions, but it didn't exactly elaborate except to say that they're generally inferior to the original.

Just a few curious questions, and I imagine some or all of them may have no official answer, but I was just wondering.

1) SUV sounds something like Satalite Utility, dunno that the V would stand for tho.

2) Yeah, they can suffer from battle poision but not from general desieses like cancer and such. IMO.

3) Depends at "Birth" if they were programmed or not. Some CASTs in the story seem like that and others dont. Strange =/.

4) Not sure.

5) I dont really see why not.

6) "CAST Clone" Maybe a CAST that is a complete duplicate of one made before. Seem a little obvious but I could be wrong.

Sinue_v2
May 4, 2008, 07:21 AM
If you need to look over any info, I wrote out a full copy of the PSU Ep I script which should be in the Guides section or over at PSUpedia.

1. I don't recall it ever being mentioned. I know they are AMF armorments which the Guardians lease out. To access them, you need to have a license. The "S" probably stands for "Sub-Orbital" - since you call them down via satellite.

2. Inorganic. Their status effects are simply a gameplay mechanic. Storyline wise, it's why CASTS were never innoculated against the SEED virus since it was assumed they were immune. And they were, which is why the Virus needed to be modified to affect their Behavioral control chips. There may be a small biological component within them to facilitate the usage of "techs", but this is pure speculation. Techniques require spirit energy, and it comes down to whether or not you can accept a machine having a soul.

3. Most all casts are humanlike in behavior. Although some special purpose CASTs are built along more utilitarian lines. Lou's excuse for not having emotions is due to her heavy processing work load. She was "streamlined" in her programming to optimise her preformance. There are over 250 Lou units, and only 1 control.

4. The heads of state are not mentioned. We only know it's a technocracy (government run by machines). Mother Brain is the head of the AMF.

5. Yes.

6. It's never fully explained. I would assume that a Cast Clone is a Cast created in the image of a person - and who's brain (photonic, neural net, whatever) is set up to emulate the brain patterns of said person. They think, act, and behave exactly as the person who was cloned. The only real difference between Magashi and Hauzer is that Magashi knows he's just a clone.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, but the game is pretty vauge on a lot of points.

Aur87
May 4, 2008, 07:30 AM
I believe SUV stands for Satellite Uplink Vector, I think Lou explains it in episode 1 but my heads a bit fuzzy so maybe someone else can confirm it.

Katrina
May 4, 2008, 07:32 AM
3. Artificial lifeforms with free will according to the official site.

Misc Lore (official site): CASTs were originally created by humans as laborers, but problems arose when sentient CASTs began demanding rights. As a result of their war for independence, a system of CAST supremacy over humans was established.

After the CAST supremacy was established, Parum welcomed a period of overwhelming peace, unheard of in the days when the lands were divided by human-controlled governments. Ironically, the "dangers of machine rule" that were touted by human politicians during the war never manifested, and the reality is that the social system was welcomed by the majority of the public who wished only for peace.

They are machines, and hence rationalists. Their strong point is in management, but because of their inflexibility, they are disinterested in the subtleties of human emotion.

Neith
May 4, 2008, 09:57 AM
A lot of this is speculation, most of it isn't explained if I recall correctly.

My memory on this is a bit fuzzy, but I think SUV stands for 'Satellite Uplink Vector'.

I think CASTs themselves are completely artificial, but are just modelled in a humanoid image. As for poisons and the like, my guess is that these affect CASTs for 2 reasons: 1) as a gameplay device 2) poison could be interpreted as corrosion, or even a virus.

My guess for this is that when a CAST is created, it is made for a predefined purpose, and that dictates whether they are able to show emotion to much extent or not. For example, the CASTs which serve you at various shops in the game seem very generic and 'robotic'. It's likely because their only reason to exist is the retail of goods. When you start looking at more important CASTs, it seems like they have a capacity to learn of emotion, but I'm not sure its ever explained whether a CAST can truly develop its own emotions. In 'The Egg Thieves', you can see one of the Lou units smile (or indeed lower her head if you fail). To me, it looks like advanced CASTs have the capacity for emotion, but don't develop the same as a Human- instead they mimic their surroundings and learn from experience.

No idea on this, and I'm not even sure its mentioned in the game, aside from Parum being run by a CAST Government.

I'd guess so, to an extent. Just like humans though, it'd depend on the severity of an injury- and likely would depend on whether the CAST's 'brain?' was damaged. Considering parts are interchangable in PSU, I'd guess losing an arm would just require a repair, but it'd maybe be fatal if it was unattended for too long.

As you said, there isn't much to go on for this. The only impression we get is that a CAST clone is just a physical replica of an existing CAST, with inferior technology to the original. Again, PSU doesn't cover this much- at least yet anyway.

Most of what I posted is just my opinion, PSU doesn't really expand on a lot of stuff like this, and leaves it pretty wide-open.

chaostroop3
May 4, 2008, 10:13 AM
Being a shameless fanfic writer, I'm finding myself wanting to elaborate on my characters' stories... and while it doesn't really matter in-game, it's enjoyable to write. But since the game doesn't outwardly elaborate on a lot of things (at least as far as I've been able to see), I had a few questions. In particular, about CASTs... as Newmans and Beasts and Humans seem fairly clear-cut.

And even if you don't know the official answer to any of these questions, feel free to throw out thoughts.

already ansewed

they where created my humans before newmans or beast where created,they where more or least house maids, witch later humans gave free will. But some are still programed to do certan tasks

ex. free will - capt. curtz (yes he has free will)

ex. no free will magashi and lou (most have SOME form of free will thogh)

i would geuss mother brain

most of them, i recall seeing a cast with no arm walking around somewhere

they are clones of the origanal to to that persons bidding , pepole that own CAST slaves uasaly are clones

EX. magashi/howzer

hope i helped

Ragna_Divide
May 4, 2008, 02:13 PM
Thanks very much, everyone. Some good information, and some good speculation. I liked the 'virus' idea for poison, by the way.

Zorafim
May 4, 2008, 02:46 PM
I'll say that most of what I'm going to type is speculatory. I'll tell you what I'm speculating on and what I know as fact, though.

I believe this is actually a typo. In the japanese version, they're known as "Sub Weapons." If you notice the similarity between Sub and SUV, you apparently aren't the only one.
Regardless, SUV is just as neat as Sub-Weapon, so it stuck.

I've always assumed that they were semi-organic. Something like, the materials used to build them were so complex that it's almost like human tissue, while still being completely synthetic. This would make it easier for them to keep self sufficient, without the need of constant maintenance seen in today's mechanics.
In short, I'm going to say that they're artificially organic.

I'm going to say that, like being artificially organic, their programing is so complex that it works similarly to a human mind. There may be some manufacturing standard, but from there their experiences change their behavior and will.
Exceptions to this are the Lou and Magashi lines, as well as similarly build casts. Lous are all built the same way, and are missing in a behavior modification due to limited space. Their minds are also linked, causing them to undergo the same or similar mental growths.
Magashi is just a mass produced robot, at least after Ep1. It is built cheaper than usual, so it's missing in important components. They're probably just clones of each other.

This hasn't been mentioned in the story line that I'm aware of. Mother Brain is the head of the AMF, I know that much. If I had to speculate, I'd say it's a central computer, overseen by multiple high level casts. If not that, then it's probably a collection of multiple casts built for the job.

I would assume so, but I don't think it's touched upon in the story. I'm going to go back to my artificially organic hypothesis stated before, and say that heavy damage would cause as much trauma as on a cast as it would on a human. I would assume that it's easier for a cast to survive these, however, due to the materials used to create casts being more common and easier to add to a damaged cast.

I believe it works similarly to a production line. They're just mass produced casts, made with inferior parts and many shortcuts taken in their building. If there is an original cast, as seen with Magashi, they're probably all built to be similar to him, but the company didn't have the resources to make them all as good as the original.

I want to touch upon my hypothesis for casts. Casts seem to be treated as equals to humans now, and they've been around for at least a thousand years. By this time, they should have enough technology to make casts as complex as a human, more or less. Because of this, I would assume that the materials and costs for making a single cast would be about as high as the cost of a human life, seeing how both are equally invaluable.
This was touched upon in a movie, actually. It starred an android that was originally simply a common house cleaning model. From there, it received upgrades, eventually including synthetic skin, tissue, and even a heart and blood. At the end, it grew so complex that it gained free will, got married to a human, was given human citizenship, and grew old and died.
Seeing how this movie took place about a century or two after androids became common place, I would assume that our casts, being more than five times older, would be that much more complex.

I hope some of this helped. I was speculating more than I had originally planned, but these issues were simply not touched upon in the story. It's kind of sad when a fanbase is more creative than the story's writers...

Zoamel_Gustav
May 5, 2008, 12:41 AM
http://psupedia.info/History_of_Gurhal

[spoiler-box]
Around BA 100

CASTs gain basic rights

The first CAST prototype was completed around BA 1000, and over the past 1000 years, great advances had been made in hardware and software leading to the CASTs of today, which are indiscernible in movement and intellect from humans and the other races. As far as humans were concerned before now, however, CASTs were still "just machines." There was no scientific proof of CASTs having souls, therefore humans believed that there was no way for them to be like the other races. As a result, no progress was made toward CASTs earning civil rights. It wasn't until around this time that humans, newmans and beasts collectively began to push for the rights of CASTs. From there, it wasn't long before the governments of the three planets officially recognized the civil rights of CASTs.

Around BA 90

CASTs take charge over Parum's political offices

Supporters of a certain organization put CASTs disguised as humans into central political offices on Parum, allowing CASTs to seize control of the planet's government. After it came to light that the latest government was comprised of nothing but CASTs, there was an incredible backlash by humans, and soon disputes and uprisings were occurring all across Parum.

Around BA 10

Humans officially transfer political power of Parum to CASTs

Human resistance groups attempted to interfere with CAST rule, though this did nothing more than further prove these groups' greed for political power. Ironically, most humans had no desire for war and welcomed the idea of a political system controlled by CASTs.

AC 0000

Tarcus Tripartite Treaty completed

Ten years have passed since the transfer of Parum's political offices to CASTs. The humans of Parum who were once engulfed in chaos and war have since turned peaceful, and CAST representatives were sent to Neudaiz and Moatoob to promote tranquility. For the most part, the cause of all of the past wars rested on humans, but still, the two races came to a mutual agreement. In order to achieve everlasting peace, the Allied Military Force was established as a group of absolute neutrality supported by all races. And thus the "Tarcus Tripartite Alliance" was formed. Even though the treaty focuses on only three races and seems to have no benefit to humans, most humans are pleased being governed by CASTs. Gradually, the books close on a 500 year history of futile conflict and a new era is welcomed with open arms.

[/spoiler-box]

Here are some relevant scripts:

http://psupedia.info/Machinery_engineer_%28script%29

http://psupedia.info/Keiko_Rotta_%28script%29

http://psupedia.info/Stank_Geese_%28script%29

Here are some random quotes:

[spoiler-box]
* AMF Cast: You Guardians sure do have a lot of free time... On the other hand, you'll always find the Alliance Military hard at work. I haven't had a break in three months!
* Ethan: Yeah, it's been about the same for me.
AMF Cast: Yeah, but you get to sleep, right? I've gone a good three months without a wink of sleep!
* Ethan: Well, that's how you're built, right?

[/spoiler-box]
[spoiler-box]
* Sheena: Wel'com t' the GUARDIANS branch in Holtes City! Shapin' the future of the Gurhal System!
* Ethan: Ethan Waber. Mobile Guard Unit Trainee reporting in!
* Sheena: At ease, Mr. Waber! I am welcome you. We've got an exciting mission lined up for you!
* Ethan: Huh?
* Sheena: Excuse me. You see. I was just recently born. Last but not least. I'm Sheena. I still have trouble with speakings...
* Ethan: Ah... I think I see.
* Ethan (thinking): Is she okay? What the...
* Ethan: Um.. About the mission?
* Sheena: Yes, please be waiting... Okay, here it goes: Kay... there is a message from your partner person. West district Open Cafe is where you will wait.
* Ethan: About my partner... What kind of person did I get? Is my instructor like an old man or something? I'm a little nervous.
* Sheena: Um... They are nots a man.
* Ethan: It's a woman?
* Sheena: Yes she very is.
* Ethan: Really... a female instructor! Yes, yes, thank you! That's all I needed to know.
* Sheena: Okay. Always 'member, the Holy Light have guidance.

[/spoiler-box]
[spoiler-box]
* Ethan: I... ICS? What's that?
* Karen: Instant Crash Syndrome. It happens to CASTs near the age of 200. It comes on suddenly, without warning... just causes their systems to shut down.

[/spoiler-box]
[spoiler-box]
* Human Male: You just got here from the GUARDIANS Colony? For the past 100 years, Parum's been under CAST leadership. It's a lot different at the colony, isn't it? CAST politics aren't bad at all. There's no lying or betrayal like there is in human politics. But CASTs aren't exactly warm and fuzzy, either.
* Human Male: Hey. So... I've decided to quit the anti-CAST movement after all. In the end...it was just a bunch of people who got together to badmouth the CASTs. If there was a problem in their lives, instead of dealing with it directly, they just sat around and blamed other people. Maybe that's what I was doing, too.
* Human Male: In the end, my feelings may have been misdirected.

[/spoiler-box]

SupraMKIV
May 5, 2008, 01:33 AM
1) SUV = Shooting Up Villains? (Satellite Uplink sounds cool)

2 & 3) Inorganic w/ programming that simulates emotion as a CAST sees other species express it. The skins are applied over their metal frame like lamination over paper.

4)Head of Society?.....Wouldn't know. Howzer? Lucaim? SuperComputer?

5)Can they survive? Well, I'd think they make spare parts just in case right?

6)What Zorafim said...

Ragna_Divide
May 5, 2008, 01:57 AM
Thanks very much to Zorafim and Zoamel! Even more great speculation and very handy links. I really need to actually finish PSU's original story mode one of these days, even if Episode 2 kind of spoiled a few things now that I'm halfway through it to get partner cards. >_> No biggie though.

And that's interesting. CASTs are (at least beneath the shell add-ons, if not some of those as well given the 'bounce' factor seen in some female CAST torso shells) cellular artificial organisms. I did figure on the artificial muscle angle, though. Much more efficient than gears and the like. More and more they're starting to sound very similar to the GIs in the Cassandra Kresnov trilogy of novels.

Zorafim
May 5, 2008, 02:12 AM
Oh, so my hypothesis turned out to be correct after all. That's exactly what I was thinking. Though, I didn't think they'd be so complex as to have artificial cells as well.

Ragna_Divide
May 5, 2008, 02:18 AM
Nor I. Here's a question I'm surprised didn't occur to me earlier though...

CAST seems like an acronym, but for what? Cyberorganic Anthropomorphic SysTem?

Xaeris
May 5, 2008, 02:20 AM
CAST strikes me as one of those things they randomly decided to print in all caps, like GUARDIANs or TECHNICs.

Ragna_Divide
May 5, 2008, 02:24 AM
That's a possibility as well.

Jife_Jifremok
May 5, 2008, 03:14 AM
#1. Satellite Uplink Vector...or if it's supposed to be "subweapon" maybe SUB stood for Sattelite Uplink Becky? At any rate, I believe (and forgot what I've read in previous posts in this thread http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif) that there's some satellite that beams down the bigass weapons to the CAST's Extra slot to be used. Uhh...just in case, you might wanna check around Ragol for a satellite that beams down monsters.

#2. Organic? While Zoraphim's statement was very sensible, I have to put in my take on this: I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of CASTs weren't even mechanical or synthetic beings at all. They're fleshies just like us, they just THINK they're robots, Their movements, status ailments, fighting methods (aside from having SUV access) and voices being identical to those of meatbags, lead me to believe, despite the presence of logical explanations in previous posts, that very few actual mechanical CASTs really exist in Gurhal. Most CASTs are really more like this guy...
http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/8581/080roneohseven1yw2.jpg

darkante
May 5, 2008, 03:45 AM
On 2008-05-05 01:14, Jife_Jifremok wrote:
#1. Satellite Uplink Vector...or if it's supposed to be "subweapon" maybe SUB stood for Sattelite Uplink Becky? At any rate, I believe (and forgot what I've read in previous posts in this thread http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif) that there's some satellite that beams down the bigass weapons to the CAST's Extra slot to be used. Uhh...just in case, you might wanna check around Ragol for a satellite that beams down monsters.

#2. Organic? While Zoraphim's statement was very sensible, I have to put in my take on this: I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of CASTs weren't even mechanical or synthetic beings at all. They're fleshies just like us, they just THINK they're robots, Their movements, status ailments, fighting methods (aside from having SUV access) and voices being identical to those of meatbags, lead me to believe, despite the presence of logical explanations in previous posts, that very few actual mechanical CASTs really exist in Gurhal. Most CASTs are really more like this guy...
http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/8581/080roneohseven1yw2.jpg

The outlines on their body makes me think they really are more like cyborgs, they look human like but arent. Now not point at this particular picture, just general.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: darkante on 2008-05-05 01:46 ]</font>

MSAksion
May 5, 2008, 02:02 PM
All of these questions can easily be answered by ALEX MURPHY - known as Robocop.

Unlike the Terminator - Murphy is Alive he has feelings. He is still a man trapped in a robot's body.

He has survived having his limbs chopped off. He gets hungry and eats food substitute solutions so his organs may get sick or poisoned. When stabbed in the chestplate he bleeds blood from his human heart. He thinks and feels feelings since his brain is all human.

He acts like a machine but he can be human when he thinks about his past.

I vote for ALEX MURPHY for President of the CASTS.

Nirvash7
May 5, 2008, 02:28 PM
I thought SUV wasn't an acronym. In Story Mode, Lou calls it a SUV Weapon, not an es-yoo-vee.

panzer_unit
May 5, 2008, 03:02 PM

#2: Are CASTs organic in any way, or are they completely inorganic?

#3: Most CASTs seem relatively human in terms of appearance and behavior, though some like Lou are extremely stiff and formal with no apparent consideration for human emotions.

#1 it stands for Sport Utility Vehicle... it's a car-comparison joke. The enormous energy expense and environmental impact of the weapon, just like a Hummer. haha, get it?

#2 I always figured they were cellular organisms like any animal, but manufactured from synthetic materials and using electronic doodads or mechanical gizmos whenever it's better, or at least cheaper for the same overall quality.

#3 I think Lou has plenty of personality, she just enjoys playing up her mechanical side and throwing racist jabs at non-CASTs. Maybe they'll try to start something and she'll have to use her SUV in self-defense >:]

#5 not necessarily (see #2) ... they've basically got the same tissues and organs and everything as a human. It's probably made of tougher stuff and there might be certain advantages like not getting infections and turning off bloodflow to non-vital areas. It's possible that non-damaged parts don't suffer any really ill effects from dying, like they can be repaired & revived after death with no ill effects.

#6 I would have thought a "cast clone" would be a cast made to exactly match a specific human being.

ThePendragon
May 5, 2008, 03:29 PM

A: No idea

A: Completely inorganic. The humanoid appearances are aesthetic choices, nothing more. As for the susceptibility to status effects, I assume it just a gameplay mechanic. Although, its not too farfetched that these could affect them. Poisons could be corrosive. Virus' exist for software.

A: Yep, you got it. Lou explains this. They have the ability to emulate emotions, most simply feel it's a waste of processing power. However, some choose use it because it facilitates interaction with organics.

A: Mother Brain was the head of AMF, which, for all intents and purposes was the law of the land for CAST society, if not the entire Guhral system. At least until the SEED PWNED everyone.

A: Depends. [spoiler-box]Lou was killed in the comic by a gunshot through the chest. Im assuming it hit some vital system though. [/spoiler-box]I don't see why losing an arm would cause any sort of catastrophic failure on an Android unless it contained vital systems.

A: No idea.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ThePendragon on 2008-05-05 13:30 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ThePendragon on 2008-05-05 13:31 ]</font>