PDA

View Full Version : A question for our PSU community- courtesy

Sio
May 4, 2008, 05:02 PM
When someone levels up generally someone says "congratulations!" wether itd be a basic congratulations or a fancey one, I wonder, how many people actually care when someone else levels up? Or is it just another way of showing courtesy?. It's always awkward for me when noone says anything after a level up, it's abit of a psychological question. Do you care that person leveled up?

Sio
May 4, 2008, 05:06 PM
Oh I forget an option, since sometimes we don't see them or hear them level up so you can't really say much.

LaughingMan
May 4, 2008, 05:09 PM
I just say basic grats and I really don't expect or want it in return. The reason for that is because I usually just do pick up parties and listen to music so then while i'm getting raped I have to type ty back. It's a hassle. Oh to all the people with the shortcut grats you leveled but you have less of a life now, ya can you please only use that when your UNDER the person who just leveled other wise I look at you like your retarded.

Ffuzzy-Logik
May 4, 2008, 05:10 PM
Common courtesy.

Ken_Silver
May 4, 2008, 05:18 PM
I say congrats and I actually mean it too. The stronger your teammates are, the easier the mission should be, right? And besides, that person really wants to grow a level. Would you wish that they didn't grow a level? I wouldn't. There is the common courtesy issue too, but by saying Congrats and actually meaning it, I KO two birds with one stone.

Zorafim
May 4, 2008, 05:20 PM
I think it's nice when someone levels up. I show how much I care, assuming I'm alive enough to think, by quickly typing something out. Normally, it's nothing more than "Nicely done" or something along those lines.

Minamo
May 4, 2008, 05:23 PM
No feeling when someone says to me. However, I would say it if I recognize someone's level up.

Sio
May 4, 2008, 05:28 PM
hehe this is very intresting I have to say, I generally had a feeling people just said it to be polite but seeing it put in other words to really mean it is definitly a very nice thing to see!

AlMcFly
May 4, 2008, 05:30 PM
Basically common courtesy. I never see or hear a level because I watch movies while I play. If no one says congrats, I won't either because I won't know it happened lol. Leveling is a feat but nothing too hard to achieve. Never the less, I still congratulate.

VetroDrago
May 4, 2008, 05:30 PM
I'm proud of someone when they level. Though, when a low leveled person does a MAG run and levels a million times, it gets kinda annoying.

Jainsea
May 4, 2008, 05:38 PM
common courtesy w/randoms and if with friends, yay and etc!! I agree it is very odd when
someone levels and no one says a thing. Some partys dont talk at all though and that irks
me way more : I might as well be talkng to a brick wall at times XD

Sio
May 4, 2008, 05:42 PM
Oh I call those NPC parties, and I like to mention "Seemed I joined a npc party" lol

Oh wait! I take that back, least npcs have lines XD

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sio on 2008-05-04 15:42 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sio on 2008-05-04 15:44 ]</font>

Jainsea
May 4, 2008, 05:44 PM
On 2008-05-04 15:42, Sio wrote:
Oh I call those NPC parties, and I like to mention "Seemed I joined a npc party" lol

Oh wait! I take that back, least npcs have lines XD

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sio on 2008-05-04 15:42 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sio on 2008-05-04 15:44 ]</font>

lol's so true XD only that these NPC's take rares too http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Broodstar1337
May 4, 2008, 05:44 PM
I don't care. Maybe if you hit the level cap, you'll get a congrats.

Juza
May 4, 2008, 06:16 PM
If I knew the person I might care, but in a random group... Typing gratz = less rappies being torn to bloody shreds by my claws. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

The_Gio
May 4, 2008, 06:22 PM
I dont just say congratulations, I say wooo,as wooo you did it good job, cuz honestly its rude to only care when you level and not others,and sure you may not care if you dont get congratulations but it might make a difference in someone elses point of view

Kylie
May 4, 2008, 07:34 PM
I just say it to be nice unless it's an actual milestone like capping, which isn't much of an accomplishment either. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kylie on 2008-05-04 17:34 ]</font>

Ragna_Divide
May 4, 2008, 09:07 PM
I say a quick Congrats! or something similar if I'm at a spot where I can manage to type it out. I do care. It's not a BIG deal, but it is nice to see others progressing, and I think it's just good... sportsmanship(?) to pat others on the back when they achieve something. Hell, I told the two people who got (MY!!!) Twin Durandals congratulations when they dropped on two different occasions and the random number generated didn't like me.

Parties that don't speak at all aren't enjoyable at all. If I wanted silence and tedium and a total lack of any social interaction, I'd play solo and keep all the rares instead of playing with others that I don't really need in a game this easy to begin with. I don't mean that I think it's cool to slow everyone down by carrying on a conversation every single battle, but a little chit-chat here and there really, really alleviates the grind.

Usually I'll comment on others' outfits, or ask where they got certain weapons, or say something random, or what not when we stop at a PP Cube, or when it's buff-time, or whatever. Then again, being able to type as fast as I do helps in that regard.

Complex_Jao
May 5, 2008, 12:54 AM
im only super happy about it when its a friend, otherwise i dont care but say it anyways

pikachief
May 5, 2008, 12:57 AM
i love it when someone levels up http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

they worked to lvl up so i'll give them congrats http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif i know i would want one too http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Sio
May 5, 2008, 01:07 AM
Thats a good point pika :3

Miyoko
May 5, 2008, 01:12 AM
I never say grats / congrats / whatever when someone levels up. I find it pointless, and I prefer when people don't say it to me. I'll say it when someone reaches a milestone level, or finds a sneaky rare they've been hunting for a long time, but every level up? No. What a waste. It's a very common part of the game. It'd be like congratulating someone for putting their pants on in the morning. >_>

I also don't like saying grats, because it puts people at risk. If we're in the middle of a fight, and I level up, then for the love of god, don't say anything! Focus on fighting! I'd rather you NOT take that megid in the face and die, instead of having to stop and say something meaningless >_>

Sha Sha
May 5, 2008, 01:15 AM
i congrat people all the time unless i dont see them level up lol

SonicTMP
May 5, 2008, 01:17 AM
I say grass, just like I did back in pso just like in any other MMORPG. So many level dings it's more or less a reflex nowadays. It''s always nice to gain a level. One of so very many but yet another step closer to uberness.

Spacepest
May 5, 2008, 01:25 AM
I congrat people out of courtesy, but honestly, I could care less if people congratulate ME specifically for gaining a level.

I have a Congratulations hotkey, an elaborate one I made with cut in chat face and sound for Roar. She say, "Congradulations! A winner is you!" with a really happy face and the annoying level up sound.

Now, if you ever want to confuse the hell out of people, having any kind of hotkey with the level up sound really gets to them. Just set if off randomly through any mission run and most people will go "congrats" in reflex, and then get totally confused when they can't figure out who just dinged a level.

_Tek_
May 5, 2008, 02:26 AM
I usually say something nice, like a freeze frame snapshot black and white photo, and then "Great Job!" get handwritten on the corner.

hahaha "Tim and Eric, Awesome Show Great Job!"

Also I got the new PSU on my pc and it runs pretty smoothly, I love the new combat tweaks. I'm pretty excited over the new stuff. I want everything but I know better, I think I'll stick with one character this time, a basic hunter human. Also sexy one.

Jife_Jifremok
May 5, 2008, 03:23 AM
I say a pre-made "Congraturation You try next level Good luck!" usually when someone levels, but it's just a reflex resultant of the IRRITATING notion that every single level up, sometimes even every single red-box kerseline is worth a grats. It feels downright robotic to be saying grats and then having a ty and a yw following suit. It's just...there. It means jack shit. The congratulations have become meaningless from the overuse.

I only really give a shit when someone I know and like is genuinely happy about something. But then, I still don't congratulate them (most of the time) but still show that I'm happy for them in some way or another. (I like giving them fresh sayings every time they do stuff, but I ran out of ideas long ago...)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jife_Jifremok on 2008-05-05 01:29 ]</font>

ashley50
May 5, 2008, 03:25 AM
a simple "cg" for random strangers
a made macro for friends...

darkante
May 5, 2008, 03:40 AM
On 2008-05-04 15:30, McFlyVII wrote:
Basically common courtesy. I never see or hear a level because I watch movies while I play. If no one says congrats, I won't either because I won't know it happened lol. Leveling is a feat but nothing too hard to achieve. Never the less, I still congratulate.

Watch movies while you play? Isnīt very distracting? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Alizarin
May 5, 2008, 04:38 AM
On 2008-05-05 01:40, darkante wrote:
Watch movies while you play? Isnīt very distracting? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

I have a friend who does that. He just has the movie playing in a separate window right next to PSU's. If anything, it could just be listening to the audio of the movie while playing. It's not terribly distracting, from the looks of it.

On-topic: I'm conditioned to give the Congratulations macro when I hear the level-up SFX, or follow suit when someone else says congrats. Imagine how odd that is when someone else has the level-up SFX as part of their Congrats macro. Though, I usually have my own music playing so I don't hear the sounds much.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alizarin on 2008-05-05 02:45 ]</font>

KaffeKane
May 5, 2008, 08:54 AM
I have my speeshal Cut-in Chat for whenever someone levels or gets rarz.

"YAY!!!" *level-up noise*

Somehow, whenever I trigger it and nobody really levels, they all say cg anyway. XD

Andy1423
May 5, 2008, 09:36 AM
It's people said back in the day, when it was alot HARDER to level. It was more of a challenge, ya dig?