PDA

View Full Version : I hope you don't consider Barubary a definitive source...

Kaervek
Jan 21, 2003, 09:46 PM
Posted: 2003-01-21 18:29
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I can confirm that Del Lily is, in fact, a real monster in GC PSO. It's reserved for future quest use. I have pictures of it, but I'm not going to give them out.

-- Barubary

Now, I'm not saying that what was stated above is false, in fact I completely believe it. However, I find it somewhat humorous that Barubary (appearently) considers him[her?]self to be the definitive voice when it comes to PSO.

I'm sure the guy(gal?) has some sort of skill when it comes to 'cracking' code, or whatever it is he(she?) does. I really don't care. But please, don't take everything he(she?) says as the final word. If the quote comes from Sega themselves, then I'll believe it.

This isn't a flame towards Barubary in any way, just an observation and my thoughts on it.

*kicks dead horse just one more time - walks away*

RagMasterRappy
Jan 21, 2003, 10:12 PM
And if you ask me, s/he shouldn't be messing with the game's internals. They encrypted the data stream for a reason. If s/he really needs something better to do then s/he can make a PacMan clone for fun, and replace PacMan with a Rappy and the ghosts with HUmars. I'd play it.

Sapphire87
Jan 21, 2003, 10:14 PM
It's one thing to boast that you know of every secret, whether it be a rare item, weapon, or enemy in this game. It's another thing entirely if you share that information with everyone here and spoil the surprise. I'll give Barubary credit for not stooping to that.

Kaervek
Jan 21, 2003, 10:24 PM
RagMasterRappy Posted: 2003-01-21 19:12

If s/he really needs something better to do then s/he can make a PacMan clone for fun, and replace PacMan with a Rappy and the ghosts with HUmars. I'd play it.

I think I'd play it too. Hey Baru, can you get to work on this ASAP? I think you'd have a hit! Just be sure to give RMR some royalties.

Sapphire87 Posted: 2003-01-21 19:14

It's another thing entirely if you share that information with everyone here and spoil the surprise. I'll give Barubary credit for not stooping to that.

Yah, I give him(this is killin' me[her?]) that as well.

RedFox
Jan 25, 2003, 08:55 AM
ST encrypted their data for a reason... and barubary simply gets a kick out of cracking these codes (or at least i think he does)... this time round he has done no wrong towards the PSO community and his cracking of GC PSO has so far been purely for his own pleasure and to confirm the legitimacy of rumours circulating the net.

i give him my full support and respect as one day i'd like to learn his "trade"

*crosses fingers that barubary will select him to be his pupil*

RagMasterRappy
Jan 25, 2003, 10:15 AM
On 2003-01-25 05:55, RedFox wrote:
i give him my full support and respect as one day i'd like to learn his "trade"

*crosses fingers that barubary will select him to be his pupil*

Ha! Don't hold your breath. You might have to figure out this stuff the hard way like s/he did if you want to do it yourself.

Ness
Jan 25, 2003, 01:14 PM
I'm against all cheating good or bad. I don't think anyone should alter any online gasme for anyreason because most of the time it effect others in some way. However, I do trust Barubary because she has never lied to use before.

Alielle
Jan 25, 2003, 03:11 PM
On 2003-01-21 19:14, Sapphire87 wrote:
It's one thing to boast that you know of every secret, whether it be a rare item, weapon, or enemy in this game. It's another thing entirely if you share that information with everyone here and spoil the surprise. I'll give Barubary credit for not stooping to that.

*cough (http://www.pso-world.com/article.php?thold=-1&mode=flat&order=0&sid=679)*

Spy
Jan 25, 2003, 07:41 PM
If somebody figures out a way to restore corrupted characters, that person will have my respect. Parlor tricks like Baru's are childsplay though.

DJ_Monkey
Jan 26, 2003, 02:20 AM
On 2003-01-25 16:41, Spy wrote:
If somebody figures out a way to restore corrupted characters, that person will have my respect. Parlor tricks like Baru's are childsplay though.

Heh..all you need is a hex editor and a reasonable knowledge of hex editing. Oh, and you need to trick the GC into connecting into your computer, but all that is is some clever DNS settings manipulation.

I don't think you can restore corrupted characters. The saved file would most likely be incomplete, and would miss some important information. You really don't know what is missing. Without that info, you're screwed, for a lack of a better word. Unless, of course, I am wrong, and Sega purposely puts in a flag that turns on when you turn off when saving, but that is very doubtful(Ever wonder why you shouldn't remove a storage device when saving? It's because the file could be damaged by incomplete overwrites, which would make the file useless.).

Personally, I honor her(yes, Barubary is a girl, at least as far as Baru has told everyone) skills in this case. She isn't causing any harm to anyone. People, there is honor among hackers. Don't let the mass media fool you; without hackers, there wouldn't be computers to begin with(By definition, "hacker" means anyone that posesses great skill with computing.).

To prevent duping, it would be a good idea to generate a random(preferably with a key of at least 256 bits) code for each item. That code would be generated at the time of drop(from enemy) or at time of obtainment(from either shops or quests). There would be a flag in the code that would make sure that the code doesn't change if a human player drops it. If a human dropped it, and they had a duping code on, it would keep one in the inventory. There could be a subroutine for this as well(to identify which is the real, and which is the dupe). It would take checking the inventory for an item with the same code, and if the item matched the one in the inventory, it would be given a true value. If the item had a true value, it would be a dupe. If it had a false value, then it would be legit. Once the item had a true, it and any dupes resulting from it would stay that way. Any item that had a true value would be eliminated, and the owners of those items would be notified.

All it would take is a small patch(maybe the Xbox version could benefit from a code like this), done by Sonic Team. It would take all of a half hour for someone to make this one(heck, I understand the basics of this one).

Personally, I trust Barubary, because she has alerted us to problems before(remember the chair thing? She was the one who made the thread about it and got people to understand why it happened).

Too bad Sonic Team wouldn't have her fix the darn thing.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DJ_Monkey on 2003-01-25 23:36 ]</font>

Spy
Jan 26, 2003, 02:49 AM
On 2003-01-25 23:20, DJ_Monkey wrote:

Heh..all you need is a hex editor and a reasonable knowledge of hex editing. Oh, and you need to trick the GC into connecting into your computer, but all that is is some clever DNS settings manipulation.

Personally, I honor her(yes, Barubary is a girl, at least as far as Baru has told everyone) skills in this case. She isn't causing any harm to anyone. People, there is honor among hackers. Don't let the mass media fool you; without hackers, there wouldn't be computers to begin with(By definition, "hacker" means anyone that posesses great skill with computing.).

Mmm... contradiction, or at least over-glorification ^_^

CajunSamurai
Jan 26, 2003, 03:00 AM
People, there is honor among hackers. Don't let the mass media fool you; without hackers, there wouldn't be computers to begin with(By definition, "hacker" means anyone that posesses great skill with computing.). MAN, how that needed to be said. Some of the biggest names in computers are ex-hackers. Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Steve Wozniak, Kevin Mitnick... All of them legendary, all them pioneers of computing and all considered hackers, of various forms.
Barubary is no different, as far as I'm concerned. (Although I wouldn't considering his/her work to be quite as ground breaking as the aforementioned. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif)

Personally, I have a whole lot of respect for Bar. I remember back in the V1/2 days, s/he was like, the PSO antichrist. Every time I got lobby FSOD, I'd shake my fist to the heavens and yell, "DAMN YOU, BARUBARY!!!" Or not, but you get the picture. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif
And has anyone ever looked at "Barba Ray"'s name? Isn't it uncanily similar to "Barubary"? Maybe I'm just reading into it a little too deeply, but if I were a ST developer, I'd have tried to put my archenemy in the game in some form or another (although I'd consider it a great honor to be put into the game in the form of a boss). Whatever.
Anyway, the past is the past. These days, I'm always fascinated by Bar's posts and consider him/her one of the most interesting people that posts here.

Just my two cents. I try to give credit where it's due.

Kaervek
Jan 26, 2003, 06:39 AM
On 2003-01-25 23:20, DJ_Monkey wrote:

"Too bad Sonic Team wouldn't have her fix the darn thing."

On 2003-01-26 00:00, CajunSamurai wrote:

"All of them legendary.... Barubary is no different, as far as I'm concerned."

How the fuck did this get so off topic? all i said was that barubary is by NO means a definitive source when it comes to what is and is not PSO.

All of a sudden these fan boys are hopping on the "let's kiss the poor 'hacker's' ass" bandwagon. So sad how someone can take a simple statement and turn it into a goddamn sermon praising their appearent messiah.

Sad...

Oh, and btw, HAHA at the following:

"And has anyone ever looked at "Barba Ray"'s name? Isn't it uncanily similar to "Barubary"? Maybe I'm just reading into it a little too deeply, but if I were a ST developer, I'd have tried to put my archenemy in the game in some form or another"

Absolute insanity here, people!

Ness
Jan 26, 2003, 10:51 AM

"And has anyone ever looked at "Barba Ray"'s name? Isn't it uncanily similar to "Barubary"? Maybe I'm just reading into it a little too deeply, but if I were a ST developer, I'd have tried to put my archenemy in the game in some form or another"

Barubary as enemy of the Sonic Team? LOL!

CajunSamurai
Jan 26, 2003, 11:44 AM
How the fuck did this get so off topic? all i said was that barubary is by NO means a definitive source when it comes to what is and is not PSO.

All of a sudden these fan boys are hopping on the "let's kiss the poor 'hacker's' ass" bandwagon. So sad how someone can take a simple statement and turn it into a goddamn sermon praising their appearent messiah.

Sad...
You obviously don't understand JACK about hackers, for one thing. Lemme explain that word a little.

Pronunciation: 'ha-k&r
Function: noun
Date: 14th century
1 : one that hacks
2 : a person who is inexperienced or unskilled at a particular activity <a tennis hacker>
3 : an expert at programming and solving problems with a computer
4 : a person who illegally gains access to and sometimes tampers with information in a computer system

Look at number 3 for me, okay? THAT is the contemporary definition of the word "hacker". #4 is often refered to as a "cracker" these days, and is often used harshly in the hacker community.
Shit. Go and check out the open source community. Nearly ALL open source developers consider themselves hackers in one way or another. Open source software can be editted and developed by anyone with knowledge, and the term "hacking" is commonly used when one develops for said open source programs.
Is Barubary a hacker? Hell yes. And obviously a talented one, at that. I give credit where it's due, and I have a knack to give credit to those with talent. I have respect for Barubary as a hacker. Messiah? Fan boy? Don't make me define those as well, bucko; I'll do it. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif So there ya go.

Back to your precious little topic again. If there's one person on these forums that has explored PSO in and out, IT IS BARUBARY. Like it or don't like it, admit it or not, Barubary knows more about the innards of this game than most do, even if it IS through hex editting. I tend to believe his/her posts much more than the average joe poster. Bar has proved to be quite trustworthy in the past; there's no reason I should doubt him/her now. Being a hacker changes none of that.
And personally? I'm sick and tired of seeing floods of insults trailing every one of Bar's posts. Yeah, he caused damage in the past... The past is the past, what's done is DONE. Get the fuck over it, already.

As far as that Barba Ray crack? Pfft. You really thought I was serious with that? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif I still say it looks and sounds similar to Bar's name, though.

JEEZ.

Kaervek
Jan 26, 2003, 02:26 PM
*laff laff*

I'm not going to waste my time replying to the post above.

As for this thread, it's old... I simply posted my opinion on how Barubary seems to think of herself as a definitive source when it comes to PSO. Sure, she obviously knows more than the average gamer, maybe even par with the knowledge of the developers. The simple fact of the matter is that she is not an official source of information.

If you'll notice on my original post, I agreed with the fact that what was stated by Barubary in the quote was true. However, the fact that some people take what she says as final confirmation is absolutely hillarious.

I dunno, that's just my opinion. To each his own, eh?

Ness
Jan 26, 2003, 05:03 PM
On 2003-01-26 11:26, Kaervek wrote:
*laff laff*

I'm not going to waste my time replying to the post above.

As for this thread, it's old... I simply posted my opinion on how Barubary seems to think of herself as a definitive source when it comes to PSO. Sure, she obviously knows more than the average gamer, maybe even par with the knowledge of the developers. The simple fact of the matter is that she is not an official source of information.

If you'll notice on my original post, I agreed with the fact that what was stated by Barubary in the quote was true. However, the fact that some people take what she says as final confirmation is absolutely hillarious.

I dunno, that's just my opinion. To each his own, eh?

What's so funny about believing Barubary? It's just like believing PSOW or Mamak. The only difference is that Barubary is one person and she has "tools" that others don't. Besides, she has never lied to us in the past just like PSOW and Mamak never did.

Spy
Jan 26, 2003, 06:42 PM
On 2003-01-26 14:03, Ness wrote:

Besides, she has never lied to us in the past just like PSOW and Mamak never did.

Barubary did release gameShark and Xploder codes though. That's almost as bad if not worse.

LollipopLolita
Jan 26, 2003, 07:04 PM
lying and releasing codes are two different things. he wasn't the only one who released codes but it's easier to target him as a scapegoat since he's visible and vocal. the truth remains he has not released gc codes and as for dc codes, there were other people who released the more terrible ones. i don't like seeing mob mentality going on here. people are just using other people's feelings to justify their own.

if you have a problem with barubary, go pm him, take it up with him personally. don't use psow as a place to flame him. i don't tolerate flaming users, and baru is a user. i understand people's frustrations, and i have been extremely lenient with the rules because i understand people's frustrations. but this has gone on for quite a bit and has spanned many threads. and don't even try bringing up the fact that i am biased when it comes to baru because he helped us, because it's not the case. in fact if it was any other user, it would have been stopped a long time ago. at least baru has the decency not to fight back.

rule 5
Respect EVERYBODY in the forum. Everyone's equal here. This forum isn't just for one group or individual. Flaming will not be tolerated. You flame, you get banned. Racist remarks or ethnocentrism will result in banning. So, don't.

Note: Flamebaiting, or throwing remarks at users in attempt to get them to flame you, is just as bad as flaming. Do not start fights.

this is my final word and stand on this.