PDA

View Full Version : NEW Expansion ?

EvilJohn
May 13, 2008, 09:48 AM
yo i hear rumors that there making a new expansion with a new planet and pvp does anyone know anything about this or just another rumor like black beast?

Rescue
May 13, 2008, 10:11 AM
lol @ pvp

To be honest i would believe that rumor if it didnt mention pvp. I mean nothing against having it I just dont see why they would add it.

Cathbar
May 13, 2008, 10:12 AM
I believe Sega has mentioned that they plan on having the PSU franchise go for around 5 years. Seeing as it's only the 2nd year and we already have 1 expansion, it's pretty safe to assume that more will be coming. But as far as I know, we havn't had any news on the next installment.

As far as PvP, the only thing I've heard on this front is the race that JP has.

EDIT: Horribly written...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cathbar on 2008-05-13 08:14 ]</font>

Rescue
May 13, 2008, 10:13 AM
So as of now its just a rumor.....

Kinako78
May 13, 2008, 10:19 AM
5 years? Sweet! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Cathbar
May 13, 2008, 10:28 AM
On 2008-05-13 08:19, Kinako78 wrote:
5 years? Sweet! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

That's only what I heard last (It was awhile ago), so don't quote me on it. I don't want to get ambushed for starting rumors http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Actually, if anyone who is more confident in their knowledge on this subject could confirm this, that'd be alot better than just going on my faulty word <_<;

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cathbar on 2008-05-13 08:32 ]</font>

Kinako78
May 13, 2008, 10:29 AM
yeah, but it'd still be cool if they did keep it going for that long.

Cathbar
May 13, 2008, 10:33 AM
Indeed it would! Especially if they fixed all the bugs they're currently dealing with <_<;

AerisZeal
May 13, 2008, 11:11 AM
Hate to be the party pooper here but,
they beat the SEED, happily ever after, etc., etc. Someone hacked it out awhile back.

Sega has already stated that this was the last of this story arc as well. However as in with tradition with the rest of the franchise, there's still hope of another one. It just doesn't look like there will be at the moment.

To deflate the rumor though, the concept of Rykros has many confused into thinking there will be another planet, that's not the case. It's just a very big HIVE.

As for PvP, it's an intended feature in an upcoming, albeit very far away, event. But it is not the direct PvP that everyone seems to want.

On 2008-05-13 08:28, Cathbar wrote:

That's only what I heard last (It was awhile ago), so don't quote me on it. I don't want to get ambushed for starting rumors http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Actually, if anyone who is more confident in their knowledge on this subject could confirm this, that'd be alot better than just going on my faulty word <_<;

Finally, yes this was their original intended plan, whether that plan has changed or not, they've said nothing new regarding it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

This is all of course, to the best of my knowledge.

Emblem00
May 13, 2008, 11:31 AM
Hope there is a new expansion.

lokey013
May 13, 2008, 11:41 AM
I would love an expansion....or even better if they updated the visuals without slowdown >_>

ketson
May 13, 2008, 11:49 AM
pvp in this game would be so overly broken, kind of like hunters in wow. haha

AlMcFly
May 13, 2008, 12:02 PM
Lol, This guy saw this thread:

http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=175206&forum=20

Then he decided that it qualified as a rumor. I've heard nobody else talking about this stuff outside of threads like these. Good job in trying to start a new rumor unsuccessfully. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

Dragwind
May 13, 2008, 12:39 PM
No, not for a long time.

Kylie
May 13, 2008, 12:43 PM
I think it's more likely we'll see a sequel to PSU rather than an expansion, which I think would be better anyways. I don't want the same character for three more years, and they could finally move this to PS3 and take advantage of next-gen stuff.

Zekester
May 13, 2008, 12:48 PM
What they said. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Sinue_v2
May 13, 2008, 12:58 PM
There will be one more expansion at least, I can almost guarantee that. As said, the current Ep III will be the last in the storyline, but a new expansion would bring those story missions offline and update content for those online with new weapons, features, items, etc. Might see a few story-related side missions here or there, but that's it. It'd be a pure content update and finish up the offline mode.

I've heard rumors that in the last expansion, Sega may allow you to download (only) your characters so that they're not lost when the servers shut down. But this is probably just a corruption of a somewhat similar PSP feature.

AlphaDragoon
May 13, 2008, 01:05 PM
Even if it was the last story arc, could they not make an update that just includes online stuff? I'm sure most people don't care about the story anyway.

Garnet_Moon
May 13, 2008, 01:10 PM
Having PvP is just the thing to boost the U.S server population. I'm sure Sega of Japan knows we're hurting over here, they have spies. I won't dismiss anything until the game servers shut down.

Would it be a good move? Yes, and so would bringing teams back or some sort of guild function. Likely for either? No. But until the game shuts down anything is possible.

The first expansion was a rumor everyone shunned when it made its rounds. Absolutely nobody believed there would be an expansion and that the idea of one was preposterous. Then Ambition of the Illuminus was announced. The nay sayers where silenced.

IMHO? I'd say get the japanese version of the PSP handheld(unless US and JP servers are merged) and forget about PSU on PC/PS2 and 360. PSU will never be as great as it can be because of the PS2 version and its limitations with no HDD. The PSP? Memory sticks are cheap as hell and the PSP is going to stay around for a long time.

AlphaDragoon
May 13, 2008, 01:47 PM
But...the PSP one doesn't have true MMO-style play, from what I understand. It's a gimped version that just lets you play online with 4 other people, and doesn't plan to update like the PC/PS2/360 versions.

Sinue_v2
May 13, 2008, 01:54 PM
Absolutely nobody believed there would be an expansion and that the idea of one was preposterous.

What? Who the hell ever thought there wasn't going to be an expansion? It was pretty much confirmed in interviews and pre-release reports even before PSU hit the market. The only thing we didn't know was when they would be out. There might have been some speculation over whether or not the expansions would be released outside of Japan, considering how badly it flopped anywhere BUT Japan, but it was pretty much certain there would be expansions. Just like it's pretty much certain there will be at least one more expansion after AoI.

Though I can definately see them pulling a "Blue Burst" and simply cutting the PS2 loose over seas while offering the expansion as a free/cheap download in order to save on shipping, packaging, etc. Especially considering how little shelf-space AoI got.

Danny_Dark
May 13, 2008, 01:55 PM
In Japan for Sure, but USA and EU not.

The Lottery is Sponsored by Segac and the Number "065".
SEGAC: Because good business is an oxymoron to us.

Golto
May 13, 2008, 01:56 PM
They did say they had a 5 year plan for PSU but they didn't say they would have new content for the entire 5 years. So the servers might be up for 5 years but don't expect new stuff all the time.

Kylie
May 13, 2008, 01:56 PM
I can't see PS(U)P selling any better than PSU in either Japan or the US/EU market, but I can see it being apart of ST's "five year plan." Also, I don't think PVP would help things on the US side. The combat system wasn't made for PVP, and it'd be way too unbalanced and end up bombing. They have bigger fish to fry when it comes to features.

Danny_Dark
May 13, 2008, 02:00 PM
For me is PSU a Dying Online Game...
(I'm still Pissed because of "065")

The Lottery is Sponsored by Segac and the Number "065".
SEGAC: Because good business is an oxymoron to us.

Sinue_v2
May 13, 2008, 02:02 PM
A 5 year plan.

Year 1 - PSU
Year 2 - AoI
Year 3 1/2 - New Expansion
Year 5 - Server Shutdown

Or perhaps they won't shut down the servers at year five, but they will have no more content to unlock, no new releases coming out, and will simply keep the servers running for as long as it's profitable.

Kylie
May 13, 2008, 02:17 PM
This reminds me of the discussions people on REO had about a File#3 that never came. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif I guess it's not completely the same though since ST said they have a five year plan for PSU, and Capcom promised nothing with REO. Still, I won't expect or count out another expansion until there's something official released, even if I personally think another expansion or a fresh start is coming. It wouldn't be the first time a game developer blind sighted me.

Ryudo
May 13, 2008, 02:55 PM
On 2008-05-13 09:11, AerisZeal wrote:
Hate to be the party pooper here but,
they beat the SEED, happily ever after, etc., etc. Someone hacked it out awhile back.

They beat SEED at the end of episode 1 too http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif SEED arent the real enemy in PSU

Sega has already stated that this was the last of this story arc as well. However as in with tradition with the rest of the franchise, there's still hope of another one. It just doesn't look like there will be at the moment.

It's the end of the Ethan/Karen/SEED part of the story, the next part will probably be about Lumia and Dark Force/The Profound Darkness

maybe we'll see something at TGS but I'd say there will definitely be at least one more expansion if not two

amtalx
May 13, 2008, 03:58 PM
If any of you want to have 13*-15* weapons, save your pennies to buy the next expansion. A majority of that data isn't in the AoI data.

RemiusTA
May 13, 2008, 04:01 PM
It will inevitably get a new expansion, but its gonna be pretty far off.

Lets just all hope that Sega gets SMART in the future and ditches the PS2 version, and capatilizes on a PS3/PC platform as well as upgrade the 360 version to actually...i dunno, USE the hardware?

Rayokarna
May 13, 2008, 04:07 PM
On 2008-05-13 14:01, RemiusTA wrote:
It will inevitably get a new expansion, but its gonna be pretty far off.

Lets just all hope that Sega gets SMART in the future and ditches the PS2 version, and capatilizes on a PS3/PC platform as well as upgrade the 360 version to actually...i dunno, USE the hardware?

I doubt they will ditch the PS2 version because the PS2 is still big in Japan(And the PS3 is far from popular down there either).

As long as they dont cut it from a Sony console Im good.

Also, the PS2 CAN use outside storgae hardware. Take Gran Turismo 4's photo save feature for example.

Kylie
May 13, 2008, 04:13 PM
On 2008-05-13 14:07, Rayokarna wrote:
PS2 is still big in Japan(And the PS3 is far from popular down there either).

I doubt it will be soon like in 2009 when a lot of huge titles are out like Resident Evil 5 or even sooner with FFXIII. Also, I think it'd be best to move up to PS3 to get in more content and features.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kylie on 2008-05-13 14:16 ]</font>

pikachief
May 13, 2008, 04:23 PM
well they want this expansion to go to lvl 200.

the JP are barely gonna get lvl cap 150 in like in june or july or something >.>

i think if we do get another expansion it'll be a bit after lvl cap 200, like next July for us lol

LuigiMario
May 13, 2008, 04:31 PM
On 2008-05-13 08:28, Cathbar wrote:

QTF http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Rayokarna
May 13, 2008, 04:32 PM
On 2008-05-13 14:13, Kylie wrote:

On 2008-05-13 14:07, Rayokarna wrote:
PS2 is still big in Japan(And the PS3 is far from popular down there either).

I doubt it will be soon like in 2009 when a lot of huge titles are out like Resident Evil 5 or even sooner with FFXIII. Also, I think it'd be best to move up to PS3 to get in more content and features.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kylie on 2008-05-13 14:16 ]</font>

Games for the PS3 like FFXIII, RE5, GT5 and the other main stream exclusives have a while before they release. I guess its time Sega dont have lol. Haze, R2 and MGS4(The big one) are all this year but I doubt it will be enough to sky rocket there sales.(Especially after the delay of Home)

Saying that, Sega are ones to play it safe. I guess there will keep the PS2 format but make use of memory sticks and such, or even better, the PSP. Either way I dont mind, but Im just thinking about the people who dont want to splash out £300+ on a console because a game moved format but looks exactly the same. =/

Kylie
May 13, 2008, 05:06 PM
Yeah, awhile like 2009, which I think is realistic for ST to make another expansion pack. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif And PS2 has had a good, long run. People will dish out the money for next-gen consoles in time - just like they did for PS2 after PS1. I just think it makes the most sense for them to move up a generation because I'm sure they'd have limikted space to add content on another PS2 DVD.

But if I'm wrong, it's not like my feelings will be hurt.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kylie on 2008-05-13 15:10 ]</font>

TecherRamen
May 13, 2008, 05:11 PM
All I know. Is that if you go to the types list. And look at the weapons. You will notice a gap in the force weapon line. We have 3 weapons and room for a fourth.

PVP will probably never work right. what with synchronizing people and all...

*crosses fingers*

Battlestar
May 13, 2008, 05:23 PM
PVP does not have to mean fighting against other players

Kanore
May 13, 2008, 05:34 PM
We'll have a re-release or some sort of port before we get a new online Phantasy Star.

Phantasy Star Universe: Red Burst

therealAERO
May 13, 2008, 05:42 PM
On 2008-05-13 15:23, Battlestar wrote:
PVP does not have to mean fighting against other players

Yes it does, or rather it better.

PVP in PSO was fun, that is all I'm going to say about the subject.

amtalx
May 13, 2008, 05:52 PM
On 2008-05-13 15:42, therealAERO wrote:

PVP in PSO was fun horribly unbalanced and would be even more so in PSU, that is all I'm going to say about the subject.

Fixed.

Feign
May 13, 2008, 06:58 PM
The ps2 is slated to survive another three years before it dies, and even then, it's going to caper off and not just keel over one day.

So releasing another expansion onto ps2 COULD work, as they'd have another 1-2 years to make use of it. And if PSO is any indicator, Sonic Team will carry it's sci-fi corpse to the system's grave and past.

VetroDrago
May 13, 2008, 07:06 PM
On 2008-05-13 08:12, Cathbar wrote:
I believe Sega has mentioned that they plan on having the PSU franchise go for around 5 years. Seeing as it's only the 2nd year and we already have 1 expansion, it's pretty safe to assume that more will be coming. But as far as I know, we havn't had any news on the next installment.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cathbar on 2008-05-13 08:14 ]</font>

5 years? Barely anyone will play that long lol. Most people are capped so how's the game going to stay interesting for them?

amtalx
May 13, 2008, 07:09 PM
On 2008-05-13 17:06, ryunokunshu wrote:

5 years? Barely anyone will play that long lol. Most people are capped so how's the game going to stay interesting for them?

Something tells me that we won't have a Lvl 130 cap for 5 years... Those events and updates ST attempts might add a few things to do as well.

Golto
May 13, 2008, 07:21 PM
Just pray if they have a 2nd expansion its not a lame card game.

Apone
May 13, 2008, 08:26 PM
How about Phantasy Star 5?.....(dreaming)

jobber
May 13, 2008, 09:59 PM
AoI stuff is almost at an end.

I don't know how many reskins and missions we have left or ST can think of.
Events are just missions with the same enemies in a different enviroment.

Maybe a Boss Rush mode where we have to beat each of the bosses in succession

I'd kinda suck that we waste 3 years on a character then we have to start over when a new game hits.

Rayokarna
May 14, 2008, 05:42 AM
What we need or should have PSU in the future:

More Events
Endgame features or areas.
Time Attack mode for all missions
Ice Purification missions.
More Weapons
Different Areas
Hoverboards, Floaders and Tanks from V1.
Permenant Fire Purification missions

Stuff like that will make people stay for the next expansion.

Kanore
May 14, 2008, 06:05 AM
On 2008-05-13 17:06, ryunokunshu wrote:

Umm... you're considering 130 the final cap?

You can't be serious.

Really.

EvilJohn
May 14, 2008, 10:28 AM
Lol wow can't belive how many replys this thread got but anyways yea they should add PVP even if its unbalanced like PSOVER2 Dreamcast. and team support would be nice too and let us choose icons as well like PSOBB.

NightHawk777
May 14, 2008, 10:45 AM
I wouldn't mind if they brought back some kind of challenge mode.

Lance813
May 14, 2008, 12:14 PM
i was about to say challenge mode, wow beat me to it

that would be awesome i could see new S Ranks, that would be a good idea that would FORCE people into spending time to get their S Rank Twin they always wanted on PSO but never had the time

and lvl cap...... 200 is a lucky number for sega, i think that will be cap

Makojin
May 14, 2008, 01:24 PM
I would expect future expansions if there are any to drop PS2 compatibility. I would say that would be a good change... but that's how I play now =

I actually see that PVP is already available in the game's programming, it only needs to be unlocked. We can fight against NPCs, and have done so throuought various story mode missions. (Ethan, Tyler, Nav) Though it's possible that these characters that you fight against are entered in the game's code as monsters instead of charcters for the purpose of these fights, it's not completely impossible that they're taken from the NPC information. Just speculation really.

Kion
May 14, 2008, 01:41 PM
I'm pretty sure another expansion wouldn't change anything. all i can imagine is more long drawn out minimal content monthly updates, 065's and crappy GM run events. It's been 1.5 years since PSU was released and we still don't have all of the weapons released from the original disk. Maybe in another 2 years we'll get all of AoI's content.

PSU's biggest weakness is that the game is a item-based hunting game. That's what motivates people to spam the same mission over and over again, some for some event so they can get a small boost in synthing weapons that everyone already has.

A new (next-gen) rehatched approach to the series might be what they need. It's not neccesary, AoI has the potential to be a good game if ST could just pull their heads out of their asses and actually execute the game dynamics well.

and with PVP: i don't see it being as broken as people think it will be. The only thing i think it would take is the ability to target another player. the way i'd see it working is you'd form a party go up to the counter and then divide into teams. every class has its own strenths and weaknesses; i'd imagine that all it would take is adjusting certain attack mods just for that mission.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kion on 2008-05-14 11:52 ]</font>

Seira7
May 14, 2008, 04:26 PM
I like the idea of being able to keep our character data and having a brand new game to plop them down in, as far fetched as that is I doubt it will even happen. Theres a lot of things I like about PSU but a lot that I dont, I think much has improved since its launch, so theres hope. I think PSU could have a nice future...but my biggest desire is to see it make the move to next gen.

Im sick of having to move and re hook up my 360 to my old CRT TV in my spare room when I want to play PSU. It looks so hideous on my 747i that I want to cry, but the rest of my games look fantastic. I have a feeling we will see some truly next gen console MMOs at some point and PSU wont be able to compete unless theres a rehaul.