PDA

View Full Version : To all FKL online Wii owners.

Chuck_Norris
May 14, 2008, 08:34 PM
How do I connect my Wii to teh intarwebz? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Sord
May 14, 2008, 08:35 PM
the easiest and most hassle free way is just to go buy a Nintendo WiFi USB connector

TalHex
May 14, 2008, 08:35 PM
*facekeyboard*

Chuck_Norris
May 14, 2008, 08:37 PM
On 2008-05-14 18:35, Sord wrote:
the easiest and most hassle free way is just to go buy a Nintendo WiFi USB connector

Sadly, I'm low on cash right now, so what's the hard way? :/

TalHex
May 14, 2008, 08:41 PM
do you have a wireless router?

Sord
May 14, 2008, 08:42 PM
answer Tal's question first, and if so, hope you are already using WEP keys. Switching is annoying.

TalHex
May 14, 2008, 08:44 PM
at&t sent me a free one after my first one stopped working worth shit (its a router/modem)

Chuck_Norris
May 14, 2008, 08:45 PM
No, it is not wireless :/

TalHex
May 14, 2008, 08:50 PM
okay your either going to need a wired adapter, and a cat-5 (or is it 6?) network cable or as sord said a Nintendo WiFi USB connector

Sord
May 14, 2008, 08:51 PM
the wifi adapter is much easier to set up btw. just make sure that you have a usb port (it's rare PCs don't, but I've seen 'em)

most routers will give you a cat 5 cable with the product (and you can use cat 6, it's pretty much the same thing, but there's better shielding. If you cut the wire open each twisted pair is sperated by a cross of plastic that runs through the cable. Testing standards are higher to. The main purpose of cat 6 is gigabit ethernet since you need high quality cabling for it to work efficiently, which he won't need to worry about.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sord on 2008-05-14 18:54 ]</font>

Chuck_Norris
May 14, 2008, 08:52 PM
*sigh* Why couldn't Nintendo just give the Wii an Ethernet slot? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chuck_Norris on 2008-05-14 18:56 ]</font>

TalHex
May 14, 2008, 08:53 PM
i've done the wired method for my ps2 so if you decide to go that method i can help you set it up (my mom wasn't to pleased by the 75 ft cat-5 cable that i used but it still works)

Chuck_Norris
May 14, 2008, 08:54 PM
On 2008-05-14 18:53, TalonKitsune wrote:
i've done the wired method for my ps2 so if you decide to go that method i can help you set it up (my mom wasn't to pleased by the 75 ft cat-5 cable that i used but it still works)

You got your PS2 to work with a USB plug? o.0

TalHex
May 14, 2008, 08:56 PM
no but the method is practically the same... (nintendo has a USB to Ethernet adapter, just plug the USB part into the wii and set it up like you would the ps2)

Chuck_Norris
May 14, 2008, 08:57 PM
On 2008-05-14 18:56, TalonKitsune wrote:
no but the method is practically the same... (nintendo has a USB to Ethernet adapter, just plug the USB part into the wii and set it up like you would the ps2)

*eye twitch* Does Japan not use Ethernet or something?

Sord
May 14, 2008, 08:58 PM
Hmm, I wonder what the diffrence in speed is using ethernet cabling for the wii is vs wireless

(not talking numbers, but actual gameplay diffrence)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sord on 2008-05-14 18:58 ]</font>

TalHex
May 14, 2008, 09:01 PM
i imagine it would probably be smoother, signal deteriorates with distance, it degrades even faster with wireless, i imagine if i used a wireless connection for the ps2 it would be lag central, but then again maybe not, if you decide to go wired keep track of online lag, i'm curious as to this to

Chuck_Norris
May 14, 2008, 09:04 PM
So, what you guys are saying is, I need to buy this adapter, or I can't play online at all? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Sord
May 14, 2008, 09:09 PM
I have the wifi adaptor, but the thing is, I'm also already on a wireless network. The problem is, my mother's computer won't run WEP well (it keeps crashing the connection, I've tried several times, pass and encapsulation match perfectly, it just doesn't like it.) So in order to keep everything on the network we had to by the nintendo wifi adapter anyways. Which means when I play the Wii, I have to move through two fucking networks (though at least one is dedicated guess.) So I would certainly hope it would be faster. I'm tempted to get one now, the router is actually kept in my room, since I'm the only one in this house that's technologically literate (and my god is that a pain.) Though on the flipside, I've never had my internet cut, because mom wouldn't know how to do it without taking down the whole network (hur hur hur.)