PDA

View Full Version : Added PSO nostalgia for MAG: pretending to play PSO

Jife_Jifremok
May 16, 2008, 03:33 AM
Did anyone else try to replicate the PSO experience as much as memories and PSU game mechanics could allow? During one run of MAG, I thought of this and went with it...
I tried fighting with that PSO button timing rhythm, but failed because PSU's proper attack rhythm is just different. (Then again, I only used saber/handgun combo. I should have put them on separate palette slots, and I shoulda used more weapons for this exercise.) At least I succeeded in not using any Skills...except when I forgot not to use them.

I avoided using the right analog stick for manual camera control, only using the strafe/camera center/lock onwuss mode button to orient the camera to face my ass. Without me wrestling the camera, it was free to throw off my view, my movements and my attacks, just like PSO! Also, no FPV while using guns. While PSU is kinda lacking in the autoaim department, the oversized hitboxes KINDA simulate that effect.

After standing still, I always moved SLOWLY before running. This is pretty tricky to do, especially on a poorly-made controller that's ALREADY worn after only one year of use. Add in various levels of slowness to make it even trickier to get that PSO pace. I often found myself going straight to running speed (whoops) and I completely forgot to slow myself to a crawl whenever enemies got close.

I have to confess though, afer seeing a delsaber (or whatever the hell it was called in PSU), I had to say "F this" and go all-out using the PSU mechanics (mainly the right analog stick) to totally whoop their ass after nearly killing me with some paralysis during my PSO bumble burst. Oh, and I only tried thi son one run. (I don't think I did any more runs after that one.)

Anyway, the point of this topic was...well, I just thought that it would help bring some more PSO nostalgia to this PSO nostalgia event! Sadly, I couldn't record it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jife_Jifremok on 2008-05-16 01:34 ]</font>

Kerry157
May 16, 2008, 03:37 AM
I play PS-Classic music when i play. i guess thats sort of pretending like im playing that. I never p layed PSO but from MAG i noticed that the design of the MINE Block's is similar to some of the PSIV dungeons

TranceZiggy
May 16, 2008, 03:37 AM
It was cool and nostalgic, especially when I actually played it with the music on (99.99% of the time I have winamp playing instead). It was cool, certain songs reminded me of awesome times on PSO, and I enjoyed the nostalgia.. Right until I fought Dark Failz. Then it all fell to shit and felt like another "SPAMZ FOR TEH LEWT LAWL" PSU mission.

Overall, the PSO nostalgia is cool.. Dark Failz, is, well.. Failz. De Rol Le reskin..... Riiiiiiight.

Kanore
May 16, 2008, 05:42 AM
If I want to play PSO, I play PSO.

I play PSU because I'm choosing to fight.

Morganna
May 16, 2008, 06:04 AM
For a world beyond?

Sinue_v2
May 16, 2008, 06:08 AM
I tried to bring back the Nostalgia of PSIV by playing PSU as a turn based RPG, but the fucking monsters kept cheating and attacking me out of turn.

Nani-chan
May 16, 2008, 06:09 AM
It is not to late, don't say that it's fate.

Kanore
May 16, 2008, 06:09 AM
On 2008-05-16 04:04, Morganna wrote:
For a world beyond?

Yep, because it is not too late.

Morganna
May 16, 2008, 06:12 AM
On 2008-05-16 04:09, Kanore wrote:

On 2008-05-16 04:04, Morganna wrote:
For a world beyond?

Yep, because it is not too late.

It's your home, so don't say that it's fate.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Morganna on 2008-05-16 04:13 ]</font>

LuigiMario
May 16, 2008, 10:33 AM
I still play PSO BB.

xRedd206x
May 16, 2008, 10:42 AM
Untill Telepipes are being used in the middle of battle, then Ill feel like im in pso

Sekani
May 16, 2008, 11:15 AM
We're never willing to give up?

panzer_unit
May 16, 2008, 11:38 AM
On 2008-05-16 01:33, Jife_Jifremok wrote:
Did anyone else try to replicate the PSO experience as much as memories and PSU game mechanics could allow? During one run of MAG, I thought of this and went with it...

That would be an awesome exercise in masochism.

I use a laser cannon a lot, next time I'm using my shotgun I'll think about backing up so I don't hit one target with multiple bullets (or maybe I should change back to laser cannon real quick)... that was always fun.

Don't forget to slow to a crawl going past those sets of mines. We can pretend goggles are trap vision right?

It's too bad those vanda have to throw off the illusion by being so freaking aggressive with the techs. Why can't they line up single file to try and paw at us? I miss how a little footwork would let you hold off every monster in a room by pinning one guy down with handgun fire.

Akaimizu
May 16, 2008, 02:37 PM
Actually, don't pretend to slow down past those mines. Whenever you run past those mines, pretend that you're pressing the Start button, on the bottom of your controller. That way you have an excuse to keep running past the explosions. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Yuneiko
May 16, 2008, 03:04 PM
I used my alternate pallette to run past traps, since it had my Shifta, Deband, and Resta on it. No walking past mines for me! At least versions pre Blue Burst.

Reipard
May 16, 2008, 07:02 PM
We're never willing to give up?

Course not. Because our future depends on our dreams.

Omega_Weltall
May 16, 2008, 08:35 PM
we will never back down and die!

Jife_Jifremok
May 16, 2008, 11:17 PM
Cause we'll find a way to survive! (and if not we have plenty of scapes.)