PDA

View Full Version : Offline: Offline Play

Shini-Chan
May 16, 2008, 09:30 PM
I am about to buy PSU and was wondering about the offline gameplay, i'm a single player i wouldnt be playing online ever. will this game be as good for me as PSO was?

Franz
May 16, 2008, 09:40 PM
Prolly won't hold your attention as long as PSO offline would , but in short bursts PSU offline can be fun.

Offline mode doesnt require to much thought and can be borning , messing around with the clothes and looking at shiny weapons brings some enjoyment though . PSU pc/ps2 Network mode is free at momment though becuase of a technical error.

Shini-Chan
May 19, 2008, 06:46 PM
Thanks, I've been told it gets repetitive, but there is a story mode for offline correct? And I've got the attention span of a .... um what has a long attention span? that never comes up does it?.. anyhow, I'm a former rabid "gotta catch em all before I put it down" pokemon player...I've got the span for it...

A2K
May 25, 2008, 07:38 AM
Some caveats, before we move forward:

There are two Phantasy Star Universe games available, and while they both have the same basic gameplay and share a lot of content, there are some key differences to consider before taking the plunge.

- The original Phantasy Star Universe (not the expansion) has two offline modes: Story Mode, and Extra Mode. In Story Mode, you take the role of Ethan Waber, a pre-made male human protagonist. In Extra Mode, you can create your own character and run around, but this is only unlocked after Chapter 4 (out of 12 total) in Story Mode is completed. In addition, you unlock more missions and items in Extra Mode only by progressing in Story Mode further.

- In Story Mode for the expansion, PSU: Ambition of the Illuminus, you create your own character from the start and he or she takes center stage. There is quite a bit more content as well as many nice gameplay tweaks available in the expansion versus the original game. The expansion is "stand-alone" and does not require the original to play. The Xbox 360 version is only available as a Marketplace download for the original and does not have an offline Story Mode at all (and is available for half MSRP to make up for it, although you could probably find either game for really cheap... or less).

- A standard installation of the PC versions of both the original and AOTI requires an Internet connection to authenticate things, even for "offline" Story Mode play.

If you don't really care too much about being up-to-date on the story, go ahead and grab AOTI, since it just has more stuff for you to play with, and you don't have to jump through hoops to make a customized character.

PSU pc/ps2 Network mode is free at momment though becuase of a technical error.

Free, but, you can't register and activate a new account right now, either.