PDA

View Full Version : PSU-PS2: How would this game play on a satellite connection?

Piper_Maru
May 18, 2008, 02:08 PM
I used to play this game a bit, loved it. But, we moved away and now we only have dial up. We'll be getting a satellite internet connection soon (probably Verison or Earthlink). So, I am wondering, will I be able to play this game online with a satellite internet connection?

If anyone plays this with satellite, can you tell me how good it plays for you?

And while I'm here, how is the population (for the PS2/PC server)? I moved before the expansion was released, so I am not up to date on how many people play on the PS2/PC server.

Please and thanks http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

chaoskila
May 18, 2008, 02:12 PM
i think it would work.

Ryu3s
May 18, 2008, 02:32 PM
I used to live in a dial up only area and did some research for satelite internet for possible broad band.

I discovered that for just your average internet usage and downloading satelite works fine, however for online gameplay, it can be kind of a pain. The reason is because of latency issues between your dish and the satelite. With online games, you are constantly sending and receiving packets of data, ie the text sent and controller commands. I've read that for a while, your connection will appear normal during online play, but will eventually begin to gum up due to the latency between your dish and the satelite. it's because the upload time is such a huge difference with satelite verses a standard connection. The downloading is fast, but you'll suffer because of your upload time being so slow.

Does all that make sense? I read lots of reviews from gamers who didn't have a good experience at all. I had to eventually stick with dial up for blue burst. It worked fine for me, but I dont know about PSU. If you play on PC it should be fine I would think.

Definitely do some reading on it before dropping all the money on the satelite service. I hear it's a pain to get set up as well.

Piper_Maru
May 18, 2008, 02:56 PM
On 2008-05-18 12:32, Ryu3s wrote:
I used to live in a dial up only area and did some research for satelite internet for possible broad band.

I discovered that for just your average internet usage and downloading satelite works fine, however for online gameplay, it can be kind of a pain. The reason is because of latency issues between your dish and the satelite. With online games, you are constantly sending and receiving packets of data, ie the text sent and controller commands. I've read that for a while, your connection will appear normal during online play, but will eventually begin to gum up due to the latency between your dish and the satelite. it's because the upload time is such a huge difference with satelite verses a standard connection. The downloading is fast, but you'll suffer because of your upload time being so slow.

Does all that make sense? I read lots of reviews from gamers who didn't have a good experience at all. I had to eventually stick with dial up for blue burst. It worked fine for me, but I dont know about PSU. If you play on PC it should be fine I would think.

Definitely do some reading on it before dropping all the money on the satelite service. I hear it's a pain to get set up as well.

Everything I've read has said that Satellite is rather expensive and doesn't work well for games. But, however it is, it has to be better than dial up. 26.4kbps.

I play on PS2, not PC.

Psycho_Sonic
May 18, 2008, 03:16 PM
Just get DSL if you can't afford Cable. Works great for me, and maybe a dollar (literally ONE dollar) more than Dial-Up. I don't know how people are retarded enough to still have dial-up...

Piper_Maru
May 18, 2008, 04:06 PM
On 2008-05-18 13:16, Psycho_Sonic wrote:
Just get DSL if you can't afford Cable. Works great for me, and maybe a dollar (literally ONE dollar) more than Dial-Up. I don't know how people are retarded enough to still have dial-up...

I most likely can't get DSL or Cable. I live about 20 minutes (by car) from the nearest city. >_<

Ryu3s
May 18, 2008, 04:57 PM
On 2008-05-18 13:16, Psycho_Sonic wrote:

Sometimes it's not a matter of choice, the providers the area simply do not support cable or dsl everywhere.

Your ability to have DSL is based on your distance from the company's DSLAM. The further away you get the slower the DSL connection becomes until it's pretty much not available to you at all.

Dragwind
May 18, 2008, 05:56 PM
As long as you have net access, I don't see why it shouldn't work great.

DarkEliteRico
May 18, 2008, 05:57 PM
I don't think it would work very well, coming from a 360 standpoint where ANY satellite provider isn't compatible. The service may be fast enough to surf webpages and have decent download/upload speeds but you have to think about how far your signal has to go and how much it might degrade in it's travel.

You might be able to connect to the PSU servers but your gameplay will probably suffer if you do even more so then if you had a good connection

Ryna
May 18, 2008, 06:11 PM
I know someone who used to play this game on satellite and they were always quick to point out what a miserable experience it was.

Due to the high-latency, you are always out-of-sync with the party. I remember several times where I would kill a monster and my teammate would still be taking damage because the monster wasn't dead for him. Also, he was prone to frequent disconnections and could never play with more than 3 other people.

Indica
May 18, 2008, 06:22 PM
You could run into problems. I know someone who uses Clear Wire and it's not Satellite exactly that I know of and he lags sometimes.

"Satellite Broadband Internet is not ideal for consumers who require highly responsive High Speed Internet Service such as that required for online games or stock trading since there is a slight delay during transmissions. "

http://www.highspeedinternetdeals.com/broadband-provider-satellite-internet.html

>

Ahkaskar
May 18, 2008, 06:39 PM
When you use satellite, the satellite sends data down to you, but you connect out on dial-up. Receiving data would be fast for a download, but your latency would be approximately 500ms to one whole second on the receive end. Since the other end is dial-up, your outbound data would be maybe around 250ms. Differing pings don't really mesh too well in games, especially when one is as high as 1000ms.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ahkaskar on 2008-05-18 16:40 ]</font>

Indica
May 18, 2008, 06:59 PM
that dial-up upload is old technology. The service out now uses 2-way communication, so no need for dial-up anymore

JarinKail
May 18, 2008, 07:57 PM
Dial up > satellite.

chaoskila
May 18, 2008, 08:01 PM
On 2008-05-18 17:57, JarinKail wrote:
Dial up > satellite.

thats what the commercials say

how do tehy sleep at night.

Piper_Maru
May 19, 2008, 08:47 PM
Well, seems results may vary. Once the time comes I'll just look into everything, see if I can possibly get DSL. If I cannot, I'll go with satellite and hope for the best.

amtalx
May 19, 2008, 09:01 PM
The largest problem with satellite is the upstream sucks. Upstream is critical to online games. That's how the server knows what you are doing.

RemiusTA
May 20, 2008, 04:35 PM
I laughed my ass off at this title.

I can see you now, teleporting across the stage like Super Sayian 18 goku and slashing at dead monsters

Piper_Maru
May 20, 2008, 08:09 PM
xD, I can only hope for the best.

But that would be kind of funny to watch, I'm sure.