PDA

View Full Version : Hey People

Solstis
May 19, 2008, 11:17 PM
Find me a videogame quest that makes you question your morals as much as the Dark Brotherhood quest in Oblivion.

Yeah, there's games that you can kill old people in, but no game has left me compelled to kill the dog too, just to prevent its suffering (it was sitting next to the door, waiting for its owner to come back-not sure if that was scripted or some random AI fluke).

What makes it worse is when the sneak attack doesn't kill them instantly.

Not to mention that its freaking long. Why is there a main story in Oblivion? It sucks compared to the side plots.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solstis on 2008-05-19 21:18 ]</font>

astuarlen
May 19, 2008, 11:33 PM
I spent too much time picking mushrooms in that game when I picked it up last summer.

Now I find I've become infected with another mediocre illness, known as NWN, and spend too much time opening useless containers.

Toadthroat
May 19, 2008, 11:36 PM
Balder's Gate II
Fallout
Uhm... Pretty much any D&D based CRPG.

Solstis
May 19, 2008, 11:38 PM
On 2008-05-19 21:33, astuarlen wrote:
I spent too much time picking mushrooms in that game when I picked it up last summer.

Now I find I've become infected with another mediocre illness, known as NWN, and spend too much time opening useless containers.

At least Oblivion gives you calipers (oh joy). NWN and Oblivion tend to have great writing (or one-liners, take your pick), but I never did pick up NWN2. (pronounced, Ni-wen-too).

Solstis
May 19, 2008, 11:40 PM
On 2008-05-19 21:36, Toadthroat wrote:
Balder's Gate II
Fallout
Uhm... Pretty much any D&D based CRPG.

What? Fallout? Really? It was great, but I never stared in the face of an old lady, tricked her in to giving me the locations of her family members, then proceeded to kill her while she was gardening.

I also killed her dog and her entire family line. Oh, and all of my in-game "friends" on a mission. Er, and a village in a Fighter's Guild quest.

Yeah, lots of moral decisions in Fallout 2. Do I load my save? The stupid dog ran in to chain-gun fire again.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solstis on 2008-05-19 21:41 ]</font>

Retniwreven
May 19, 2008, 11:41 PM
I was really big into NWN back in the day when it was relatively new. I haven't logged on in like a year now.

Used to DM on the server Underdark Adventures. Nicha Senthel was the name.

Toadthroat
May 19, 2008, 11:42 PM
Try Balder's Gate. You can totally do all that stuff.
You can choose to save a drow from the fanatic townspeople, and risk being killed by them, and losing reputation points, also possibly getting killed by the wizard's guild for casting magics in a no-magic zone.
Or sit there and watch her get burnt.

Solstis
May 19, 2008, 11:45 PM
On 2008-05-19 21:42, Toadthroat wrote:
Try Balder's Gate. You can totally do all that stuff.
You can choose to save a drow from the fanatic townspeople, and risk being killed by them, and losing reputation points, also possibly getting killed by the wizard's guild for casting magics in a no-magic zone.
Or sit there and watch her get burnt.

There's a fair-bit more characterization in Oblivion than in the older games, if just for the lack of facial expressions. Graphics don't equate to compelling story, however, I mean, they could have done a lot more with the Halo series if they had more time (or were catering to a different audience).

Don't mention the writing as counter-argument, as I've spent hours reading books in Morrowind and Oblivion.

Er, and I loved Arcanum, but the lack of character customization (I have restarted Oblivion so many times it is sad) hurt. Heck, character customization is the only reason why I played PSU.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solstis on 2008-05-19 21:47 ]</font>

Toadthroat
May 19, 2008, 11:55 PM
Balder's gate has loads of characterization. You can even choose who you want to bone.

astuarlen
May 19, 2008, 11:58 PM
On 2008-05-19 21:41, Retniwreven wrote:
I was really big into NWN back in the day when it was relatively new. I haven't logged on in like a year now.

Used to DM on the server Underdark Adventures. Nicha Senthel was the name.

I play alone with my rogue, Quelle SuPrise. ;-;

Never really did the online cRPG thing, except for a bit of Dungeon Siege with one of my brother's buds, and that's definitely a different beast compared to something like NWN, Diablo, etc. Multiplayer in BGIIToB, far's I was concerned, was for making a totally custom party (tried the MP thing with el bro; that was not pretty--though we had a jolly good time playing on our own).

Admittedly, it's been a Long Time since I dug into BG, but I don't remember much in the way of true freedom of choice. Somehow I always end up playing myself in these damn games: incompetent, cautious, and Lawful Good because it's the path of least resistance and most reward. Not that slaughtering entire swaths of citizenry isn't amusing, but it always earns a reload in the end.

And, ah, to make this post more schizophrenic, what's up with the guards in Oblivious? They are decidedly not.

Also: PS:T? Stop salivating over the amazing writing, people, because it's not nearly so sophisticated or compelling as y'believe. Okay, the end did piss me off, but only because it validated my whole why-I-don't-finish-games craziness.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: astuarlen on 2008-05-19 22:01 ]</font>

Solstis
May 20, 2008, 12:03 AM
Actually, I've found that the guards have an advanced system. Somehow, every guard knows what wrong-doing you have committed (if caught) and what fines you owe. Magic?

Also, it bothers me that the humanoid enemies are way easier to kill than the critters. A timber wolf takes me out, but bandits fall left and right.

astuarlen
May 20, 2008, 12:05 AM
On 2008-05-19 22:03, Solstis wrote:
Actually, I've found that the guards have an advanced system. Somehow, every guard knows what wrong-doing you have committed (if caught) and what fines you owe. Magic?

This is what I said: not Oblivious. Fact in, opposite the quite. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_clown.gif

On 2008-05-19 22:03, Solstis wrote:
Also, it bothers me that the humanoid enemies are way easier to kill than the critters. A timber wolf takes me out, but bandits fall left and right.

Yarr, they be vicious beasties.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: astuarlen on 2008-05-19 22:05 ]</font>

Solstis
May 20, 2008, 12:12 AM
Well, poops. Totally going to bed now. In case you were wondering.

Y'know.

astuarlen
May 20, 2008, 12:15 AM
Perhaps we shall type on the morrow, then.
Good night to you, sir.

Toadthroat
May 20, 2008, 12:28 AM
O theres tons of choice in BGII. Theres different factions you can join, character sidequests with differing paths to take, alignments, etc, etc.

I especially love how the characters interact with EACH OTHER and if they have conflicting alignments will try to kill each other.
Cool shit.