PDA

View Full Version : So, what do you like about PSU?

furrypaws
May 21, 2008, 07:53 PM
There are so many topics about what PSU needs to be upgraded on and how there's not enough content (which I agree with), but how often do you hear about the nice things about it?

I like how much I can customize my characters. There's a slim chance now that someone will be dressed exactly the same as me or look exactly like me, which makes for a slightly humorous occasion when it does.

I like how it's one of the few actual hack and slash MMO games out there. The only other two I can think of are Monster Hunter (name? never played it unfortunately) and PSO.

I like how there isn't one superior uber class.

So, what do you all like?

joefro
May 21, 2008, 08:02 PM
I really like(and hate) a lot of things about PSU but these are just a few things that I love.

I think the thing I like the most is the unique weapons. Most games have boring, bland weapons, but PSU has(at 10*+ mostly)very unique looking weapons.

Another thing I really, really like is keeping the same main lv when switching jobs. Some games make you start out at lv1 overall. I like how in PSU you actually lv up a job and still have your main lv.

Drops. I like being able to spam a mission to get an item. Its nice to be able to solo a mission and find a rare map and get all of the rares.

Miyoko
May 21, 2008, 08:09 PM
The hot maid-bots. >.>/

Kinako78
May 21, 2008, 08:14 PM
On 2008-05-21 18:09, Miyoko wrote:
The hot maid-bots. >.>/

Should've known... >.>;;

As for me, I enjoy the missions, the character customization, and how nice, in general, the player population seems to be (keep in mind I play on the PC/PS2 server).

Kanore
May 21, 2008, 08:17 PM
Nothing.

I'm a victim of Sonic Team's mind control.

Shou
May 21, 2008, 08:39 PM
Most of us play still with hopes of a better Phantasy Star game in the future...

Jainsea
May 21, 2008, 09:12 PM
I like that I can actaully see what Im hitting and not have to point and click attack.
The changing of jobs are easy too http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif As well making any combo of race/class you wanna and
still be able to play ok http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Aries2384
May 21, 2008, 09:15 PM
I enjoy a fairly simplistic battle engine and gameplay. Not to mention its easy to play and chat with my friends. I believe PSU is a reaaaaallllly social game.

ashley50
May 21, 2008, 09:16 PM
Online gameplay...

CASTs...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ashley50 on 2008-05-21 19:17 ]</font>

chaoskila
May 21, 2008, 09:17 PM
i just play cuz i got 3 fifties in halo =/
and i'm too small to join the wrestling club...

xgp
May 21, 2008, 09:18 PM
this the 1 game that u can b a bot casts rock suv for the win

redcell
May 21, 2008, 09:20 PM
I really enjoy the customization of your characters in this game -- especially how the clothing has no effect on "armor defense".

shotsfired
May 21, 2008, 09:23 PM
the social aspect. I like the mindless button pressing while making jokes about someones Mom / GF / Wife.... and finding rares. its the pursuit for the newest and best that keeps me coming back.

Phoenix148
May 21, 2008, 09:25 PM
the fact that it takes no skill to play and people aren't as crazy as some other mmo's *coughWoWcrazedPsychoshack*

plus what game lets you drop a toilet on a big scary dragon that likes eating Guardians in rappy suits?

Noblewine
May 21, 2008, 10:15 PM
The countless distractions in the game even though updates are rescheduled. I'll live with missed updates though I'm still trying to figure out why sega wanted to color code the meseta.

amtalx
May 21, 2008, 10:18 PM
Women. Because all the female characters in this game are women IRL.

amirite?

Freshellent
May 21, 2008, 10:36 PM
Combat System, decent amount of Mecha related things, creative weapons, nice visuals. There is a certain charm this game has, that no other online game can seem to mimic. Despite all the bugs and wonky glitches, user base and developers relationship... I love this game in almost everyway.

Could definately use more difficulty and creative NEW bosses.

Juza
May 21, 2008, 10:36 PM
The fact that PSU is stupidly casual. Unless you're neurotic about rarz, there's no need to quit your job, move into your parents' basement and play 24/7 just to 'keep up'.

ThEoRy
May 21, 2008, 10:56 PM
The friends that I play with.

rogue_robot
May 21, 2008, 11:18 PM
I like that ST acknowledges the existence of those of us who like a good occasional grind offline. Sure, I may not get all the gear available to the online players, but I can live with that - they're paying additional real money for that stuff (which will likely be available to me as an offliner when the next expansion hits the shelves).

I like that this game allows you to play the non-story missions whenever you damn well please, as many times as you damn well please. Completing a side-mission doesn't close access to it, and I don't have to restart the main story once I've cleared them all to gain access to them again, and I don't periodically run out of side missions to play,forcing me back to the main story missions. In fact, once I've played the main story through once on a given character, I never have to touch it again.

I like the degree of customization the game allows. Sure, most of the outfits aren't all that great, but at least I'm not left wearing the exact same thing on all my characters. Sure, there are some looks I can't achieve (trying to make a female short, yet not a friggin' loli comes to mind), but at least the game allows customization of such things as height and physique. Sure, my characters may not be entirely unique, but were I to go online, the chance of ever running into identical characters is statistically improbable, rather than almost certain.

I like that I'm not just pointing and clicking to choose where to move, what weapon or ability to use, and what enemy to attack, and then waiting on the game engine's internal timers to have my character actually do such things. I like using an analog stick on a gamepad to move, buttons on that gamepad to attack, watching my character attack right when I press the button; I like weaving through the enemy formations to find the most advantageous point from which to strike, and being able to attack immediately when that opportunity presents itself, rather than wait on the game's attack timer for permission (only to have no choice but soak up the enemy attacks it permitted in the meantime).

Sure, there are plenty of details in this game which deserve the frequent complaints, but honestly, the I consider the above aspects enough of a big deal to tough out the negatives and keep playing.

EDIT: small change for clarity.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rogue_robot on 2008-05-21 21:19 ]</font>

Zantra
May 21, 2008, 11:19 PM
I just like to waste money...

VetroDrago
May 22, 2008, 12:22 AM
On 2008-05-21 18:39, Shou wrote:
Most of us play still with hopes of a better Phantasy Star game in the future...

Yep, I feel the same way though, there's other things I like too.

VetroDrago
May 22, 2008, 12:25 AM
On 2008-05-21 20:18, amtalx wrote:

amirite?

If you would have said all the people who play as women as their main are women, then you would be right. "amirite?", made me laugh.

shadowsniper6
May 22, 2008, 01:06 AM
I haven't found what i like/hate about it yet

darkante
May 22, 2008, 01:32 AM
Huh, lets see.

- Active action Online-rpg
- Free movement during combat
- Interesting weapon styles..guns for example in a online rpg? Not really often i see that.
- People who speaks and joke around? Lol
- A buddy of my who almost always wants to duo in mission and rape it..http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
- No long distances to walk to whatever place you want to do.
- You donīt need highest * weapons to stand a chance in the game.
- Neither armors ^
- No long drawn area too do, to complete your task.
- Customazion is well done
- Interesting type of races

Well, i canīt come up with anything more atm.
But i feel this game has good design and unique style, but bad marketing, planning and support.
Still, the above makes me stay for a good while longer.

Jakosifer
May 22, 2008, 01:32 AM
Renkai. That is all.

Xefi
May 22, 2008, 01:39 AM
We like to shoot with the guns in this game.
My little sister and I love to play fortegunner in this game.

Bang...bang...bang... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Zorafim
May 22, 2008, 03:05 AM
I like the amount of customization you have with your character, both visually and gameplay wise. You can pretty much make your character into anything you want.
I also like how, despite the game being more time consuming than most other games, it's one of the most casual online games I've seen. You can start and stop playing whenever you want, more or less.

Costa
May 24, 2008, 07:51 PM
The community. The only thing, about from the style and laser guns that makes PSU fun for me is the people I play with.

furrypaws
May 24, 2008, 08:15 PM
I also forgot to mention I like how cities aren't like a thousand miles in diameter.

Like, for instance, if I want to change my Beast to a Fighgunner on Cylez, buy him a new Double Saber on Parum and a few photon arts to accompany it, then go and do a mission in the middle of Moatoob, it shouldn't take me more than 5 minutes to arrive at my mission.

If I want to find a Hunter trainer in WoW, buy a fancy knife and learn some leatherworking skills, and then go out to the area I was previously, it can take anywhere from 10 minutes to half an hour to get to my area.

I always wondered what PSU would be like had it been a free roam game though. I think it would've been kind of interesting.

Blueblur
May 24, 2008, 08:19 PM
What do I like about PSU? Hmm, good question.

The character design is great and the combat is fun and satisfying. But most of all, leveling my characters and guardian types are what I love to do most. That and decking out my characters with better and better rares. Its the constant collecting that gets better and better as I go that keeps me reeled in.

xgp
May 24, 2008, 08:32 PM
its fun

Weeaboolits
May 24, 2008, 08:38 PM
I like the Phantasy Star series, it's a shame the service isn't better, but the game is fun.

Kaloa
May 24, 2008, 08:55 PM
I like the futuristic fantasy setting. Everything is high-tech while still being extremely stylish.

I guess I also enjoy the customization. And hunting for rares I'll never find. ^^;

For all it's flaws, PSU is still a pretty easy game to pick up and start playing when you have some time to kill.

Endykins
May 24, 2008, 10:42 PM
I love my blue cast. He's so mm... Owait... Ahem.

I like how the game is very relaxed and you don't need to get 500 other coordinated people together to do simple tasks. Plus you really can put it down at any time and come back to it and not feel so lost.

Oh, and i love all my friends even if they don't love me back. ; ;

Proto07
May 24, 2008, 11:07 PM
It's not a point-and-click and female beasts.

DAMASCUS
May 24, 2008, 11:10 PM
Science Fiction RPG ftw. The variation in ways you can play and achieve the same goals means a wonderful amount of different people and styles with only a teensie weensie amount of elitism. It easy to pickup and put down which really helps when you love online games but don't like the politics that come with most MMORPGs.

Dragwind
May 24, 2008, 11:30 PM
The atmosphere, world setting, CAST designs, gameplay that is actually fun and requires some strategy are some to list.

Shinko
May 25, 2008, 12:38 AM
There many things i like and dislike about.

The main things i like is Character Creation, your room and shop. (There's other things i like to but this is the main reasons)

The main dislike is laziness on weapon design and lack creative. (EX. stages and boss looking the same or reskined like dark flaz)

I beileve Phantasy star have a lot going for it but they're just going at it in the wrong way and f***ing up took often

Sol_B4dguy
May 25, 2008, 01:05 AM
Action-RPG combat sensibilities, the interesting character designs, and it is pretty interesting to be able to simply switch jobs without switching characters.

Now I just need to figure out how to give SoJ a swift boot to the !@# so SoA can actually have reliable news to work with here.

Zael
May 25, 2008, 03:06 AM
It's an online RPG that's more action based, and not a point-and-click game.

Almeho
May 25, 2008, 03:06 AM
I like how "pick-up and play" this game is. I can stop playing for a month or more (which I have) and get right back into it. Character customizing is nice (despite some bad clothes) and having my fighter/techer make a vocal reaction to attacking/casting/taking damage is nice. I like having full control of my character in combat. The various locales are nice and it even sports a decent story. And, though not as good as PSO imo, it has that "keep you coming back" feel to it at times. Some parts of PSU makes me wanna play more. Now, if there was more free-roaming, unique bosses/enemies and everything wasn't always a mission... It'd be getting better. It's flawed but I'm still playing too so, it's not all that bad. ^^;

Katrina
May 25, 2008, 05:27 AM
I like the character customization, casual play, and killing stuffs with lightsabers. :wacko:

Ail
May 25, 2008, 06:56 AM
it's an action rpg online. i love the control system, and with ja and jc is jf (just funnier xD )

and all other point and click for me are jn (just a narcotic.. >_> )

oh well yeah.. and characters are cute ^-^

Vashyron
May 25, 2008, 07:10 AM
That it's an RPG and it relates to PSO.

:wacko:

Natalie
May 25, 2008, 07:15 AM
Pro's:

Character customization

Unique Weapons (Personal fav is the Serafi Daggers, Halp Serafi and Dagger of Serafi)

As someone said before, the armour doesn't affect the overall look of your character (FF XI is an example of this)

The ability to have your own room and get away from the idiots, and hang out with actual friends, as well as customize your room to your liking

For 360: Voice chat, less hackers/mods, it's in HD ;D

The ability to have a main character LV and a seprate job class LV (FF XI again, does not let you do this.)

The game it self brings you into the action, by letting YOU to actually attack instead of auto-attack, PA's bring the attacks to a new level, unlike some games.

Rust
May 25, 2008, 07:47 AM
1. The futuristic setting with a whole brand of laser weapons, and not only sabers. I really like using guns, which isn't something i see often in MMO's.
2. Like most of the people here pointed out, the fact it isn't a point-and-click and you actually get to really fight rather than just activating an icon bar with the same three or so same boring macros. Since AotI, it's even better with the JA, which brought back kinda the timed attacks you had back in PSO and which i thought was missing in PSU (too bad there isn't an equivalent for ranged weapons though).
3. Again like most of the other people, the fact it's casual and you don't need to spend your life on it. And also that you don't need leet equipment and a full party of twenty people to finish missions, even those with bosses (well, actually, better do the bosses on solo, because with a group they arez nothing but laughable).
4. The character customization, going from the appearance to the clothing, and including the type switch, variety of weapons (types of weapons i mean) and room customization since AotI (the one from PSU wasn't very entertaining).

Here i put the stuff i dislike, really, though i keep playing. I don't think i ever talked about what i disliked in the game anyways. As the thread is about what we like, i put that into a spoiler-box so those who don't want to read negative stuff about PSU in that thread aren't tempted to read it anyways. :wacko:

[spoiler-box]
For a reason i can't explain, the game is as addictive as PSO was, i sometimes get bored of it, but can't think about quitting it however. PSU doesn't lack of content, but of creativity. We have now around 50 different missions but 90 % of them are in similar areas, with reskinned boss and mobs, and follows the room / monster / box (reminds some old paper RPG :wacko:) scheme. It would need more creative stuff like the three real cooperative missions at planet GUARDIANS counter (i don't consider a mission where the only thing you have to cooperate on is walking on or two switch or more to open a bonus area as a cooperative mission). If all the mission we had now were, if not totally, at least different in a way from each other, we would have plenty of things to do (still, i don't think people would move away from hotspots, but well). Also, the weapon variety isn't that big. With only one or two unique weapon per weapon type and per rank (number of stars, i mean here), you don't have that much of a choice regarding the look of your weapons. Plus the fact that everything under 9* looks generic, with only color variations. If not for the look, which would need ST to work on more design and i don't expect that from them as they already don't do it for monsters, there could have had least been some random additional effects to dropped weapons much like there was in PSO, or on most of all the other MMOs, but well ; i know that's PSU.
And also, i can pass on all the glitchs, support issue, and stuff like that, but if there is one thing i hate, it's the item drop charts. Really, i can't bear to know that every single item on this game is tied to a particular area or monster. If i want it, i have either to buy it (which isn't my politics), or spam the same mission over and over 'till it drops. I'd rather have all the drops completely random, which wouldn't change the chances of getting it anyways, since the drop rate wouldn't be different, but at least you could have a chance of getting something you want while doing the mission you want and not the one you need. I'm talking here about the items like units, armor and stuff. Would be dumb to get Neu Wood on Parum, Koltova Grass from a Bil de Vear or other things like that (though i'm pretty sure we already find Moatoob Truffles on the Colony).
And last, the hard time i have to make a short female looking like something else than a loli. Really, only Beasts can be short and look decent for that purpose. The other races for that purpose turned out to be epic failures for me.[/spoiler-box]

HyperShot-X-
May 25, 2008, 09:55 AM
PSU = online co-op action RPG with deep customization and stylish unique combat system designed with simple interface for broad apeal to all ages both hardcore & casual players alike, set in a state-of-the-art futuristic environment and anime-style character design/interaction and storyline.

I like PSU for what it is, not what I wish it to be.

Deissa
May 25, 2008, 10:10 AM
It's not sticky

Apone
May 25, 2008, 10:43 AM
Real hacking and slashing combined with magic AND guns, not to many other games have ALL that at once. Also I like it because of the people I know. I also like it becase its Phantasy Star and I am curious how online story mode will turn out. I hope if they make another expansion that the story mode will be multiplayer.

Cheeseycake
May 25, 2008, 11:09 AM

amirite?

your 50% right and 50% wrong.

Tho.. I know ima chicka :3