PDA

View Full Version : PC/PS2 Is it safe to have an open shop now?

WolfDreamer
May 25, 2008, 12:27 PM
I'm assuming the question to this is yes now, but I'm paranoid about it. I initially played PSU on the PC back near it came out late 2006 but stopped playing it and haven't touched it for a year. When I got back on just this month to try out the new expansion my primary character was apparently "hacked" after I stopped playing and my PM was zero'd out as they say. I read a little bit about this on forums as to how it happened and all, but I'm wondering if this really doesn't happen anymore and if its safe to have my room and store open to visitors again. Are there any precautions that can be made to prevent stuff like this from happening again, other than just locking your room and not using the shop feature?

I'd really like to go shopping in other's room and open up my store again, so I'm really just looking for some reassurance and possibly any info if its ok to do these days.

Thank you for your time!

beatrixkiddo
May 25, 2008, 12:29 PM
Indeed.

Katrina
May 25, 2008, 12:33 PM
Most of the hackers were banned or left the game a while back. I haven't heard of anything in the way of room hacks / PM bombs on the PC side since the incident around New Years.

Kinako78
May 25, 2008, 12:37 PM
I've had my shop open for awhile now and nothing's gone wrong, so I'm sure it's safe.

Shinko
May 25, 2008, 12:49 PM
wow stuff like that really happen to ppl. Mmm... when u tell sega do they at least give u something to make up for it. i would be pissed if that happen to me...

Kinako78
May 25, 2008, 01:33 PM
When that happened to my friend, he was compensated for it.

WolfDreamer
May 25, 2008, 01:53 PM
I kinda figured that since it happened over a year ago they couldn't do anything about it. I'm not too horribly mad about it tho, didn't have a clue about PM raising back then and I didn't lose anything important item wise on that guy. The way I look at it I got a "free" PM-Zero so I could start over on my new PM setups. Now if it had been my highest lvl character I would've been pissed.

Thanks for the words of encouragement here, time to go shopping and sell some stuff. Happy hunting!

DoubleJG
May 25, 2008, 01:56 PM
Yes, it's safe.

Legendria
May 25, 2008, 03:03 PM
It will never truly be safe.

Tiyr
May 25, 2008, 03:27 PM
As safe as it will be. Given how many people I know who have open shops and have had nothing happen for a long, long time, I'd say it's safe enough that it's not worth worrying about.

Still, though, if you want to be safe about it, use one of your character slots solely for the shop and don't store anything else on that character. Then, worst case, someone screws with stuff you're just selling.

Larian
May 25, 2008, 04:56 PM
I've been around since launch...and thankfully it has never happened to me. I haven't really heard of it happening in a LOOONG while...and if I remember right it was pre AOTI. But then again I don't think anyone can give a 100% safe guarantee. =/

TranceZiggy
May 25, 2008, 07:39 PM
It will never truly be safe.

True, but it's barely happening anymore because the people who did it stopped playing PSU. They mess with WoW now from what I saw lol.