PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 Worth Subbing Without AoI?

Aoi
May 26, 2008, 06:43 PM
For the first time since about a month after launch I've pulled out my PSU disk, and have found myself really getting into single player of all things (tore through the first six or seven missions in two nights), and it's really gotten me considering resubscribing to the game.

Now I'm a bit hesitant to do this because I remember the initial online experience. Only a handfull of missions, two planets open, nothing terribly interesting being dropped. Now I know that the expansion really expands on what you get and can do online, but to be sure I really want to throw out the cas on the expansion, I want to make sure that the base game is what I'm looking for.

Basically, and sorry for being so long winded here, I'm curious as to what all has been added to the V.1 of the game since launch, is it worth playing without the expansion, do many people around here play frequently, and wouldn't mind a bit of a newb joining up? How are the updates in the US in comparison to what they get in Japan now, and how are updates on the 360 version in comparison to the PS2/PC versions(remembering PSO and its poor red headed stepchild on the oXbox)??

Anyway, I'm sure this sort of thing gets asked semi regularly, so i'm sorry if it's a bit annoying, but I love old school PSO, and am really really curious about how this stands up now. Thanks to anyone that can help!

DJK711
May 26, 2008, 06:50 PM
Well the online is awsome their are alot of missions all planets open and still updateing. but you would want AoI because they dont realy update the game anymore if you dont have AoI except for raising the level cap.

Sylpheed
As it stands right now, the US/EU servers have just now finished an event called Maximum Attack G which featured an entire stage made of the old EP1 PSO levels Forest, Caves etc. As for online content, if you haven't played since the opening of Moatoob (the third planet) then a truck load of content has been added since then. All planets are accessible we have advanced classes (soon to be master classes) S rank weapons (currently mainly going up to 11*) and many, many missions.

In terms of our standing in relation to the JP servers, right now we are quite a few updates behind the JP servers. However, this is mainly because we've just had a month long event. Without buying the expansion you can still play a wide variety of missions and aquire a good range of weapons. However, you might find it hard to party up with any players as most have the expansion with expansion exclusive missions. If you have the money the expansion is thw way to go it adds even more variety such as new weapon classes. Also, if you are interested in the storyline of the game. There are a lot of story missions you can make your way through. EP3 is still ongoing at the moment. Either way, good luck whichever way you choose to go. Hope that helped!

GaNksTa
As for catching up on where you missed just pick up where you left off: http://psupedia.info/Updates

Yuicihi
May 26, 2008, 06:55 PM
"is it worth playing without the expansion, do many people around here play frequently, and wouldn't mind a bit of a newb joining up?"

1. Not really, no. However, it's still somewhat enjoyable without it, but you'll be dumped from quite a many parties just for not having it. If you want to get into it, but aren't sure if they game will be for you, vanilla will allow you to figure that out. However, know that you're missing out on a lot.

2. Considering I've seen people have multiple lvl. 130s, I'm sure that it's a safe bet to say yes, people on PSOW play PSU a lot.

3. The lower level might turn people off. I'd have no problems joining up with you, though. I play on the 360. I'll put my Gamer Card back up in a bit.

4. As for the updates, ehhh. Shakey topic around here that has the potential to knock even the most serious topic off track. While we do eventually get what Japan has, eventually is the key word. SoA does what it likes.

5. The 360, in an odd turn of fate, appears to be more populated than the PS/PC version. Go figure. I recall the PSOx server being stuck in a permanent winter forever.

Yusaku_Kudou
May 26, 2008, 09:43 PM
It's only $20. You really should just get AotI if you subscribe. You're going to want to be able to use the 12* weapons.

Maskim
May 26, 2008, 09:50 PM
I just came back about a week and a half ago, after about a year away. Was resubscribed for all of 15 minutes before deciding that AoI was needed. Download the expansion for 1600 points, re-up your subscription, then you can decide if the game is worth playing again. Total investment, only $30, less than half what you'd pay to get a new game retail.

I think the game is way better and worth subscribing to, especially in comparison to at launch, but you're going to have to decide that for yourself. Luckily, it only requires a minimal investment to make that conclusion.

Yusaku_Kudou
May 26, 2008, 10:02 PM
The best reason to subscribe is that you will not be able to enter more than 99% of player shops.