PDA

View Full Version : Rekindling old PSO feelings...

lordsheep
May 27, 2008, 06:13 PM
Hey everyone,

I know you must get a ton of these posts a day, but here is my story:

I have been a PSO vet for years. I played it on the DC and the GC, Episodes I, II, and a dab of III. The most fun I've ever had in multiplayer videogames was playing I&II with my brother on my lvl 100+ FoMar and 80+ HuMar. The dynamics of the game and the thrill of redboxes and live action kept us comming back.

However, I sadly never had the chance to play PSO online. I always played it in offline splitscreen. I bought PSU, and the extra mode and lack of offline multiplayer did not help matters.

As the years went on, I was able to get a job and start earning money. I started playing WoW, and I still play it to pass time here at College. Yet, WoW has not and will never fill the void left by PSO.

Recently, I saw an ad for Phantasy Star Portible. As soon as the I heard "Its time to save this world", I got shivers down my spine, remembering the great times I had in PSO. It occured to me that starting an account in PSU was feasable for me now. But as much as this thought brightened my mood, it has left me with several questions.

My chief concern with PSU, knowing how the PSO servers were closed by sega, is how much longer this game will be around. I don't want to become attached and be forced to give it all up again. Also, will I be able to retain my characters if I have to close my account for a month or two.

Lastly, will PSU online help me relive the magic that was and still is PSO? After spending so much time with PSO (more than 200hrs), I feel that I owe it to myself to atleast give online a shot.

Thank you for reading my post. I appreciate any and all feedback.

Kudos!

Yuicihi
May 27, 2008, 06:17 PM
I'm sure Sega will keep the servers open for a while. Regardless, I'm sure they'll make another Phantasy Star when they shut them down.

As for if it will help you relive PSO... That's something you'll have to answer yourself. This isn't PSO, but it's as PSO as you're going to get.

Zorafim
May 27, 2008, 06:17 PM
http://ui14.gamespot.com/141/ike070801e_2.jpg

Short answer, no. You'll get some nostalgia for a bit, but after a while, you'll realize this just isn't PSO. Especially after the second or third rollback you go through.

Nitro Vordex
May 27, 2008, 06:21 PM
There's one thing you MUST remember.

This is NOT PSO. If you think of PSU as PSO's son, you're gonna have a bad time.

If you think of PSU as another MORPG, then you'll be fine. :)
Side note: Get AotI, because Episode 1 and Ethan are lame.

furrypaws
May 27, 2008, 06:22 PM
Your account will, basically, unless you do something to deserve it being destroyed, remain intact until PSU dies, unless of course they recieve like, 1 million people or something. Even then, I'm almost positive it says somewhere you have a three (maybe five?) safety period before you're at "risk".

As the characters are serverside, you will only be able to retain them by transferring them to Phantasy Star Portable, and even then, all they'll retain are looks, name, and level 20 (if they were that or higher, if they're lower, they'll be whatever level they were).

If you were a fan of PSO, I can safely say you will most likely be a fan of Ambition of Illuminus, the newest expansion (even though it's called an "expansion", it's standalone on all systems but the 360). It retains a lot of PSO's old features, and, if you come back before sometime in late June, you'll be able to catch the second half of the MAG event, which is a mission shaped to look like the old PSO areas.

Shinko
May 27, 2008, 06:25 PM
Well i understand what you mean i played pso offline myself and enjoyed it a great deal. Me personally i think psu is a better pso but there's a lot of ppl who disagree. Yea there some things pso had that this don't but for the most part i like it lot. Especially the character creation and clothing but in weapons they kinda failed.

But really its up to you. I say give it a try. what do you have to lose. If you don't like it u can always stop. its only 10 dollars to test. Don't u think 10 dollars is worth it if you feel that way about pso?

AlphaDragoon
May 27, 2008, 06:30 PM
If you think of PSU as another MORPG, then you'll be fine. :)
Side note: Get AotI but avoid the story mode, because Episode 2/3 and Laia are lame. Ethan and Karen are awesome, though.

Fixed for the truth.

And yeah, PSU is its own thing, so if you go in thinking PSO you may be in for an unpleasant surprise. But all in all, it's an enjoyable game.

lordsheep
May 27, 2008, 06:36 PM
Thank you all for the feedback!

I guess I was concerned if PSU had the ammount of draw and addiction as PSO and WoW has. But you are right, $10 isn't that much to give the game a shot.

Thanks again!