PDA

View Full Version : PSU So I was watching the trailer for this from E3 2004...

furrypaws
May 27, 2008, 07:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qchDkrStK30

It actually looked pretty interesting. The art style looks similar, but it seems they dropped the cutsier, animeish look for a more realistic based one. I'm not quite sure which I would've preferred, but they're both interesting.

It also seems as if they were going to focus more on the different places and huge enviroments than they actually did.

I must say, that 2 headed dragon coming out of the ground looked awesome. I hope they bring it back as a boss.

And is it just me, or did "Mirei" look like she was using a water tech with a saber?

And what was up with the horns on the blue girl's head? o_O

Not surprisingly, Sega used a bunch of this footage for their end PSU trailer. Eh, I always wondered where some of those scenes came from.

I wonder what the game would be like if it was more like this.

pikachief
May 27, 2008, 08:07 PM
i think if the game wasnt on PS2 it would be more like that lol

stukasa
May 27, 2008, 08:24 PM
I like the new art style more than that old one. And wasn't that 2-headed dragon just De Ragnus? Also, maybe the horned girl is an early version of Lou?

SuperChoco
May 27, 2008, 08:26 PM
This is made of win.
I'm not kidding, this looks so much better than what we have now(except for Leo he looks stupid)

Chuck_Norris
May 27, 2008, 08:29 PM
I want lightning to flash when I Nanoblast. :disapprove:

Oh, and inb4leviawantsthatwaterspell.

Kamiense
May 27, 2008, 08:38 PM
Mirei looks HORRIBLE in that video. I'm so glad they changed her.

Makojin
May 27, 2008, 08:40 PM
Many times games change a lot throughout the development process. I actually appreciate videos like this that clearly show how the game has changed even before it's release. Sonic Team has been known to make drastic pre-release changes like this before.

Nitro Vordex
May 27, 2008, 08:41 PM
I like Ethan's early look. And the Dragon coming out of the ground.

That's about it. Just looks like any other MORPG.

Did we ever get to ride that board in AotI anyways?

pikachief
May 27, 2008, 08:43 PM
yes, in the next non MAG event lol

Nitro Vordex
May 27, 2008, 08:49 PM
yes, in the next non MAG event lol

Then no one knows about. :wacko:

Chuck_Norris
May 27, 2008, 08:54 PM
I like Ethan's early look.

Because he looks like Ash? :disapprove:

And the Dragon coming out of the ground.

That would be cool, but it makes about as much sense as Peter's Cow Kite.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7GKu59S2rvs

ashley50
May 27, 2008, 08:58 PM
Old news is old...

Arika
May 27, 2008, 10:15 PM
Then no one knows about. :wacko:

lot of people know.

Ryudo
May 28, 2008, 02:00 AM
i think if the game wasnt on PS2 it would be more like that lol

0-console war retardation in 1 post

The girl with the horns on her head seems like a prototype for Karen?

Alastor_Haven
May 28, 2008, 03:47 AM
This looks much better then the crap right now <.<

landman
May 28, 2008, 04:05 AM
The girl with horns is a CAST, and I think she is in the opening fighting another CAST when they talk about the war 100 years ago

drizzle
May 28, 2008, 04:21 AM
Near the end of the movie when the team gets ready to fight the dragon, you see this guy:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~punisher/mysterydude.jpg

I wonder who he was?

Jainsea
May 28, 2008, 04:38 AM
ohh looks fancy O: but I wish they throw in some game play footage.
Looks like I gotta save up for w/e system it's gonna be on :T

Maskim
May 28, 2008, 05:09 AM
ohh looks fancy O: but I wish they throw in some game play footage.
Looks like I gotta save up for w/e system it's gonna be on :T

um...

-Chilly
May 28, 2008, 05:12 AM
First time seeing that movie and I'm impressed. It looks better in then the current one in places, would be nice to be able to have a style select in the options menu, Switch between Anime/Realistic (Would be the first of its kinda?) Only prob would be the game size >.>

Give us De Ragnus coming out of ground!

Maskim
May 28, 2008, 05:17 AM
As for the original topic, yes the video looks great. The only downside to if they had stuck to that original concept is we'd only have single player story mode. Online mode is worth giving up the superior pretty...but it's a tough call as the style it had back then just looks way good.

Zantra
May 28, 2008, 01:57 PM
I wish we had a demon race...

ThePendragon
May 28, 2008, 02:28 PM
Near the end of the movie when the team gets ready to fight the dragon, you see this guy:

I wonder who he was?

I'd say early version of Magashi or Curtz.

Nitro Vordex
May 28, 2008, 02:34 PM
Because he looks like Ash? :disapprove:

How did you get that out of my post? >_>

I wonder who he was?

Obviously it's a Power/Burning Ranger. :wacko:

Kylie
May 28, 2008, 02:49 PM
Wow. I wonder what that game was like.

Sol_B4dguy
May 28, 2008, 03:12 PM
Didn't play it. Looks awesome, though.

furrypaws
May 28, 2008, 03:17 PM
As for the original topic, yes the video looks great. The only downside to if they had stuck to that original concept is we'd only have single player story mode. Online mode is worth giving up the superior pretty...but it's a tough call as the style it had back then just looks way good.

That brings up an interesting point. Of course it wouldn't happen, but wouldn't it be awesome if Sega would release this as a spinoff with offline only? I dunno about you, but I would buy it.

Unless, of course, the ENTIRE GAME was just a RESKIN of Episode 1.

Then I'd buy a used version for much cheaper. =3

Astarin
May 28, 2008, 03:37 PM
Eh... there are some interesting things, but I like our current version of PSU much better.

The character designs are rather cartoon-y, especially the faces. I like the old Ethan's hair, but not his build or face. The old Divine Maiden looks awful, although the Rod/Wand/thing she uses is rather nice. And the "water" technic she uses looks like an updated version of Gibarta. Not the PSU version, mind you, but the old PSO Gibarta.

The coolest thing is seeing the "prototype" characters. There's that Cast that someone screened, who probably is an early Curtz. (His head looks a lot like that "dragon helm" that male Casts can choose now, hey?) The horned girl... I'm guessing she's an early Cast of some kind. She might have even had the role that Karen ended up with, as Ethan's mentor. Or, she could be a Lou... either way, Landman is right, that clip of her fighting is still in the game.

Speaking of old footage, that shot of purple lightning that turns Parum (?) into a wasteland is still in some of the opening videos too. Which is odd. Is that supposed to have happened a long time ago, in the current PSU timeline?

Darksparda
May 28, 2008, 04:38 PM
I wish we had a demon race...

So do I, so do I...

Elley
May 28, 2008, 05:21 PM
Eh... it's all CG.

furrypaws
May 28, 2008, 06:13 PM
The character designs are rather cartoon-y, especially the faces. I like the old Ethan's hair, but not his build or face. The old Divine Maiden looks awful, although the Rod/Wand/thing she uses is rather nice. And the "water" technic she uses looks like an updated version of Gibarta. Not the PSU version, mind you, but the old PSO Gibarta.

Speaking of old footage, that shot of purple lightning that turns Parum (?) into a wasteland is still in some of the opening videos too. Which is odd. Is that supposed to have happened a long time ago, in the current PSU timeline?

I thought that spell looked oddly familiar.

And I'm pretty sure SEED invasion was recent, at least within the last 20 years. I'm almost positive that's when A photon research began, but to be honest, I actually think the first SEED attack was the beginning of PSU v1, when it smashes into all the fleets. I remember there being something about how everybody was surprised and didn't know what was going on. There's no anchor for how far away that is from the current USA EP3C3 storyline, but I'd assume at least a year, maybe two.

Alura
May 29, 2008, 03:39 AM
fyi the horn girl is still in the opening scene of psu v1 ^_-

Legendria
May 29, 2008, 04:36 AM
WTF no, "Anime Ethan" looked freaking lame, standard bishounen.

Not to mention the other characters looked super-deformed, a la FF7.

The presentation was a bit more grand, but I prefer what we have now by far.

F-Gattaca
May 29, 2008, 04:47 AM
I have to wonder if Ethan Waber even had the same name at that point in time, the point when this early CGI trailer was made.

Ever taken a look at the PSU v1 soundtrack?

Mirei has her own theme, as does Alfort Tylor ... and Ohbel Dallgun.

But we don't see the latter two (as we know them) in that trailer, and Ohbel doesn't get much face time as other characters who play more active roles.

Character themes typically signify someone very important to the player--usually as some kind of constanrtly seen character or active party member.

I have to wonder ... Could the songs originally have been meant for significant party characters?

Was Prototype Leo initially named Alfort Tylor?
Was Prototype Ethan initially named Ohbel Dallgun?

It's wild speculation on the level of black nanoblasted beasts with two axes, but hell. This kind of possibility makes me really wonder what the PSU of old might have been like. Hell, that CGI prominently features what we now know as a Confinement System tower standing tall and active over that Parumian city.

Mysterious-G
May 29, 2008, 07:09 AM
The horned cast is an early version of Vivianne. I bet.

furrypaws
May 29, 2008, 07:11 AM
fyi the horn girl is still in the opening scene of psu v1 ^_-

I know, they recycled a lot of those scenes into the opening.

Yeah, Ohbell Dallgun is seen what, 2...3 times during the v1? Hard to imagine he'd have a theme. He's important...just not to you.

I think if that was Ethan's theme they'd simply rename it that and give it to him, rather than create a new character out of dust so it doesn't get wasted. But, then again, this is Sega...

We should start asking about it. The worst we could get would be the sarcastic styled RARE answers. XD

blkbeast
May 29, 2008, 07:58 AM
cool enough for me

SpikeOtacon
May 29, 2008, 01:42 PM
Thanks for a look at the past. I enjoy being able to look back on early versions of games, even if it's all just CGI rather than actual gameplay footage.

Zellis
May 29, 2008, 06:29 PM
This Video Was Clearly Photoshoped :P

Ken_Silver
May 29, 2008, 09:30 PM
Glad Leo, Tonnio and Karen/ Mirei got those makeovers. I mean no one would take Leo serioulsy. And the video gave the impression that Tonnio and Leo were family, rather than just co-workers.

To think at what could have been...

oH nOoOoOoO!!!

/sarcasm, lol

unicorn
May 29, 2008, 09:36 PM
Tonnio looks huggable!!!

From the trailer, I don't see Karen whatsoever. Which makes me think that she wasn't part of ST's original storyline. Mirei obviously looks like the main heroine there.

When I first played PSU V1, I thought Mirei was Ethan's love interest.

I like the little sequence before the video. Its very PSO EP3, which had a great vibe to it.... Shame.... PSU had so much potential....

Lance813
Jun 7, 2008, 10:36 PM
I think the horned girl is an early Karen

SStrikerR
Jun 7, 2008, 11:28 PM
I think it's just some ugly-ass early version of a beast. Although they still ARE ugly anyways.