PDA

View Full Version : New User, quick Question

lolURISH
May 29, 2008, 11:44 AM
Is there anyone on this site that is either in the army or recently left the army?
My question is whether or not I will be able to use my laptop when posted in my unit. If so then I'll go ahead and invest in buying PSU PC.

Thanks!
-Urish

Yuudai_Riisu
May 29, 2008, 11:46 AM
you could use a laptop if it meets the minimum requirements:)

Indica
May 29, 2008, 11:48 AM
When I was in the Army broadband internet didnt exist.

Each base is different and depending if you plan to live on base or not. I know you can get order Cable TV on base but it may be special channels and not like a normal residential package.

lolURISH
May 29, 2008, 11:50 AM
I have an Area-51.
It should meet the requirements seeing as it's the Gaming spec model.
even if it is a year old. and an unused smart bay means extended hard-drive.

but do they allow laptops is my question i guess, and does Iraq have any wifi hot spots.
lol

EDIT: yeah...maybe they'll allow residental Wireless programs. if they do then i'll just add a wireless plan to my sprint bill. :D

Indica
May 29, 2008, 11:56 AM
I dont think you will be able to use a computer if deployed to Iraq. You most likely will only be able to use Military Controlled PC's to wait in line and use 10-15 minutes to send/read quick email.

I know the Military blocks sites like MySpace and stuff

lolURISH
May 29, 2008, 12:01 PM
damn, no myspace?
that sucks. haha notrly, not as addicted as I used to be...
those were some really...really bad days. My brother-In-Law took his laptop
to Iraq, but he's marines. so I just wanted to clarify with any army people here.

JAFO22000
May 29, 2008, 12:16 PM
I hope you are taking Narzull's place over there....

Indica
May 29, 2008, 12:19 PM
MySpace, YouTube, Photobucket are among the many sites blocked. This is just Military networks though

Sekani
May 29, 2008, 12:31 PM
An acquaintance of mine occasionally plays from Iraq via Xbox Live. He complains frequently about lag though, apparently most of the internet bandwidth is tied up in actual defense-related stuff. Wi-fi in particular I wouldn't know about.

Bottom line, while PSU is definitely playable from military bases, don't count on having the best experience.

lolURISH
May 29, 2008, 12:41 PM
Me and a friend have many screenies of where we were lag locked on pso.

stuff like Delsaber's up in the air for 6 minutes to stricking poses with stag cutlary for 15.

those were dial-up days. which is essentially what Sprints wireless plan is.
bleh

Edit: I don't know any Narzul. sorry

APEXi
May 29, 2008, 02:06 PM
i was in the army, these people dont know what the hell theyre talking about. if you live in the barracks youll have access to broadband through charter (what i had at fort carson, co). if you're deployed, depending on what camp/fob you go to you may have broadband in your own room, in a community area, or it may just be too slow to do anything other than email/check news. if you're just now going in and will be doing basic/ait/osut - you're pretty much gonna have to wait until after you've completed the basic training portion before you have enough freedom/free time to much of anything else other than PT/more PT.

oh yeah, also depending on where you get sent you have a chance of being electrocuted in the shower so good luck.

lolURISH
May 29, 2008, 03:35 PM
I'm going to Fort Jackson.

and Fort Jackson for AIT.
lol ty for the info though.
And I wasn't anticipating being able to bring my laptop along to Basic.
if that was the case where I was able I'd probably wouldn't have joined,
I wouldn't want the guy I'm looking to for support to not remember how to
something because he was more focus'd on his raid later that night.

dragoon-girl
May 29, 2008, 05:12 PM
i was in the army, these people dont know what the hell theyre talking about. if you live in the barracks youll have access to broadband through charter (what i had at fort carson, co). if you're deployed, depending on what camp/fob you go to you may have broadband in your own room, in a community area, or it may just be too slow to do anything other than email/check news. if you're just now going in and will be doing basic/ait/osut - you're pretty much gonna have to wait until after you've completed the basic training portion before you have enough freedom/free time to much of anything else other than PT/more PT.

oh yeah, also depending on where you get sent you have a chance of being electrocuted in the shower so good luck.
o_o;
Sounds... lovely..

APEXi
May 29, 2008, 05:48 PM
you're going to relaxin jackson, you'll be able to use your laptop for your own purpose during ait. had a friend go there, was doing the intel thing. i went to knox however, wasnt so lucky.