PDA

View Full Version : Who here doesn't synth?

Ogni-XR21
May 30, 2008, 08:07 AM
Ever since my very first 6 syths back in the beginning of PSU broke I gave up on synthing. I know it's supposed to be better now with AoI (I left for a few months before and after 1up cup) but I still can't bring myself to synth again. I found it much too frustrating. And since my main is a FT I'm not that into weapons after all. I make good money selling the stuff I find and it's enough to get most of the stuff I want (got a Tesbra recently). The only drops that would make me try again would be Psycho Wand and Gaozoran Rod boards, but the thought of having to find rare mats for a synth that might still fail in the end really turns me off. I've been thinking of giving it another go since I started my PT a while ago, but I don't know...

So who here does synth? Or rather doesn't.. the majority probably does.

Pro's and cons and whatever you want to share, maybe you will get me synthing again.

Uber_Noob
May 30, 2008, 08:13 AM
Pro-You Recieve Item

Cons-(1)You dont recieve Item
(2)You can pay high prices in players shops when you didnt have to,with a less than acceptable elemental %.

I think it all points to syth. the Item,if you don't will never know if you would have succeeded.

Realmz
May 30, 2008, 08:14 AM
you should have a third option. I'd rather buy an item then have to synth it. mostly because my luck sucks something aweful.

i will however synth something if i have enough of the mats to not have to find them

Jakosifer
May 30, 2008, 08:17 AM
Not synthing stuff I want = Having to buy it from overpricing morons.

Synthing is the only way to go. :|

Mman2000
May 30, 2008, 08:18 AM
I'm the exact opposite: a synth junkie. Sure there is a risk to it, but getting a 50% attribute weapon is FUCKING WORTH IT. The materials for most weapons aren't that hard to find, you just have to look in the right places. Since the MAG event I've got my PM a few levels away from level 100 production so the success rates aren't bad at all.

So yeah, it's worth a try to synth and even better once your PM is completely evolved.

Akaimizu
May 30, 2008, 08:26 AM
I've lost a lot due to synthing, but I've synthed a lot too. On the other hand, I can't say I've synthed too many things as I normally have my PM filled with stuff in which the majority I can't synth due to being a little short on materials for all of them.

Word of advice, it's probably best to keep a counter on how many boards you have prepared for synth materials so you can leave 5 slots for easy synths.

You don't want to get stuck in which you have no open slots left, you don't want to overwrite any slots (because the boards are too good to remove), and you need to get a bunch of materials to clear up any of those slots. That really slows you down from synthing regularly.

On the other hand, I know to precise reason I'm not synthing much right now. I'm stuck with a lot of important boards in which I'm waiting for the synth bonus to come out before I do.

Ogni-XR21
May 30, 2008, 08:33 AM
As I stated before, I play almost exclusively as a Force (FT/AT/planning on going MF) so I don't really care about elemental damage.

@Realmz: I thought the "not synthing" answer would imply that someone is buying the stuff they want. It's the same for me, I have horrible luck, either be it getting drops (the one time I saw a Tesbra board drop, of course the gunner got it) or synthing. 6 failed synths in a row isn't really motivating.

So how much better are success %'s in AoI?

Vent
May 30, 2008, 08:42 AM
It depends for me. At the start of PSU, I synthed stuffa nd failed loads, but succeeded some, which is awesome.

Now I sometimes buy and sometimes synth. I bought a Shinowa Line for 20 mil just the other day. I don't have a armor PM and the fact that 40 nanopolymers sell more or less for 20 mil made me buy it. So it really depends on the situation. I'm going to synth a lot of Tesbras, since the price on made Tesbras are far too high compared to the boards and the worth of the materials needed to synth it.

F-Gattaca
May 30, 2008, 08:59 AM
I'm somewhere a mix of the two.

Here's how I roll.

I'll buy equipment that is within reasonable limits of my wallet--but only on certain conditions.

1. The equipment is rare or available for a limited time.
2. The equipment is hard as hell for me to get--such that I have better luck amassing the meseta people are asking for more than finding it.
3. This is the dealmaker--if the equipment has a great upgrade or attribute rate (or both!), it's mine. Certain people have me to thank for taking their 10/10 Maggacs and a 10/10 Melton's Frying Pan off their hands.

Now, if the item I want in question fails all three (or maybe just 1 and 3) I will hold out and try to synth it myself. I usually don't do any synthing outside of special event rewards since I prefer to waste as little money as possible--considering I usually never have enough materials during my synth binge to carry me through and wind up making people quite rich in the process.

I actually haven't had too bad of luck with my synthing outside of that. In particular, my armor PM Codon Alicia has come through for requested S-rank armor synths by others, and in fact has pulled off things such as ...

... successfully synthing the majority of 7* melee weapons that had El and Im-photons used in my attempt to "fail farm" catilium.

I think she hates me for not synthing with her as much as my other PMs.

Juza
May 30, 2008, 08:59 AM
I synth because I have to. The majority of claws are ugly (Hi, Yohmei), and thanks to there being no real way to estimate height in character creation, if I equip my WT with them, they stick into the ground.

That infuriates me.

Alas, Tenora claws do not seem popular, so I must synth them. I've blown perhaps 5M on boards and materials in my quest to have a pair of twin claws of 40+% for every element. (I'm like, three pairs away, and I just pulled out a 50% fire the other day - WOOT.)

Seems like a lot, but I'm lazy and buy materials instead of hunting for them, and have spent no more than I've seen a single high % pair going for.

BlueFire2k5
May 30, 2008, 09:06 AM
The only drops that would make me try again would be Psycho Wand and Gaozoran Rod boards, but the thought of having to find rare mats for a synth that might still fail in the end really turns me off.

Well, both the Psycho Wand and Gaozoran Rod have a 99% synth chance (or so I'm told, haven't been lucky enough to find either), so I hope you don't get so unlucky as to fail those. >_>

[Edit] Er, on a 100 TECH PM, that is.

unicorn
May 30, 2008, 09:32 AM
I dont synth because I don't have more than one PM. And its an unpure range PM.

My friends synth my stuff for me though, I trust em enough :3

Iduno
May 30, 2008, 09:38 AM
I mostly only ever use stuff I find for synthesis, since I refuse to pay more for a chance to make something then to just buy the thing itself with no risk

But if I just find the stuff to put in a board I'll go for it

sKOsiris
May 30, 2008, 11:15 AM
I was starting to give up on my striking PM because ever since day one of AoI ive never pulled out 50% weapons, now just recently about 3week ago ive been making 50% 9* eh may not be 10* but they still have value, and their still good. i synth about 80-100weapons every other day. ive got the money no issue their, and since i always go for 50% and "if" i make 46% i can sell that for like 2-4mill depending on the market and element on demand. so i end up making my money's worth from [b] and material, if i make 46%'s to re-sell.
Overall i think synth saves you money, and if u pull out 42% or higher u can sell them if u dont like them and make money from that. Another cool thing is that you get material back like neu walna, hapotite, par walna, catilium, back if u fail something which is not bad because "some" of those materials are like 200k a piece like, so that save me money. i have gotten about 50 catilium from failing a crap load of weapons and like 40 neu walna as well.

relentless
May 30, 2008, 11:21 AM
I synth, I fail, I don't mind.
I synth, I succeed it, if I don't need it, I give away to friends who need it or sell it. If I can use it, I use it.
For me, most of my synths, I can get more profit off succeeding than failing it, so no real disadvantages to synthing, really.

amtalx
May 30, 2008, 11:25 AM
I didn't synth much in PSUv1 because the rates were low and mats rarely dropped. Now its much easier and you don't stand to loose nearly as much. Most of the time you can even make a decent profit if you play your cards right.

Seority
May 30, 2008, 11:28 AM
I don't have to syth.
My lovie does it for me ^^, but I do have to synth all our techer stuff, but there's no worring in %s so it's all good. 9/10 things for us succeed so we're pretty set. (And the odd coincidence that most our ice weaps come out over 40%. Accidenty fed my PM my 40% Skella, synthed a new one, came out 50% XD )
I just dislike grinding with a passion. 99% fail rate woo! d^_^

EMPYREAN
May 30, 2008, 11:40 AM
if i have the material i need for the synth i go for it but if i dont, then a board will be in my PM for a very long time as i am way too lazy to hunt 4 materials.

beatrixkiddo
May 30, 2008, 11:41 AM
I shouldn't synth, but I do :disapprove:

Shinko
May 30, 2008, 11:42 AM
i hate doing it but hey it but be done. plus this is how i mnake my money. its bullshit i know but its all worth it in the end

Kylie
May 30, 2008, 12:27 PM
I didn't for the longest time, but I decided to synth a bunch at some point due to boredom. A lot of them came out 50%, and I was rich overnight. Why wouldn't I continue synthing after that? ^^;

Ogni-XR21
May 30, 2008, 12:32 PM
Maybe I should really start, just to make some more money... any tips from pro-sellers? What is worth synthing in order to sell? (rarity wise, element, weapon category, ...)

Delete
May 30, 2008, 01:17 PM
Heres what you should do. Make a striking bot, which will cost about 1mil to get it to 80 or so if you buy the right weapons. Then, start off by making some b rank weapons. They will mostly all come out and some with good %s. Now go on to A weapons, just make like 4 weapons at a time. I know you said you dont use striking weapons, but thats where the money is. You pull out just one 46% or 50%, and your a much richer person.

haruna
May 30, 2008, 01:28 PM
AotI now makes failing synths potentially lucrative. Fail Muktrands. Get Catilium. Sell Catilium and boy does that stuff sell!

Raising certain types of Partner Machines is really easy now. Armor and Ranged are a total breeze thanks to 11* shoes and EX traps respectively. For a TECHNIC PM, the whole "remake newmans" thing is a bit more lucrative since you can remove the level 1 Foie PA and make it into a disk to feed. Trading Omega Acid for Techgrolls is helpful and if you have more PA frags than you know what to do with, start feeding it megistar disks.

I really didn't like synthing at first but it's not as bad in AotI, especially for A rank and below.

Caves of Illusion drops a lot of made tech weapons, so does Dancing Birds and Hill of Spores. There are missions that drop made weapons right around the corner, so keep an eye out.

pikachief
May 30, 2008, 01:29 PM
I've failed 6 doirs, 3 hyper vipers, and 5 meteor cannocs in a row. I still synth because right after those i made 30% ice rucar and bil de axe :P

stukasa
May 30, 2008, 02:18 PM
I didn't for the longest time, but I decided to synth a bunch at some point due to boredom. A lot of them came out 50%, and I was rich overnight. Why wouldn't I continue synthing after that? ^^;
Lucky! :eek:

Anyway, if you're a gunner or a techer you can probably get by without synthing, assuming you're rich enough to buy your weapons from other players (or if you have very generous friends :lol: ). Fighters have a tougher time because they have to deal with elemental %s for their weapons, and people tend to sell the high % ones for an arm and a leg. u.u

As for me, I do both. I look for good deals but I also synth what I get (assuming I have the mats for it!).

Sekani
May 30, 2008, 02:31 PM
In the days prior to conditional search, it could take hours of shop-hopping to find melee weapons or armor in certain elements, so I started synthing out of frustration.

These days no one has to synth anything anymore, and there's a good chance you can come out ahead selling all those "useless" materials and boards.

Jennababy
May 30, 2008, 02:50 PM
I just got the full game, was originally just playing the demo. I had a "generous friend" as you call it who gave me some money to get me started on leveling up my bot. I have only been synthesizing stuff to give to it, but just started making weapons to sell and I am addicted! :) I love it!

Darius_Drake
May 30, 2008, 02:53 PM
I love synthing and I am addicted to it. The only reason I have four characters is to have the ability to own a pure pm in each category.

Adriano
May 30, 2008, 03:03 PM
I've failed 6 doirs, 3 hyper vipers, and 5 meteor cannocs in a row. I still synth because right after those i made 30% ice rucar and bil de axe :P

wth do you need a meteor cannoc for D=

SonicTMP
May 30, 2008, 03:09 PM
I hate synthing. It's the worst crafting system in any MMO I've encountered. Even RO crafting is better. Having failed 3, 82% chances in a row it beyond frusterating.

Maybe if i wasn't dirt poor and could afford buying some weapons out of player shops then I wouldn't mind the failures so much. But it really sucks working for a month, in an event, with a higher drop rate, only to fail miserably in the end. I don't even care for 30%+ weapons yet. I just need that first step into the next equipment grade.

Also I'm on PC. Lesser population means anythign in stores is out of price range 90% of the time. I would hope the xbox servers aren't as bad, but someone else would have to comment.

ashley50
May 30, 2008, 03:11 PM
I didn't bother SYnthing stuff when I played AoI on the JP servers...

Mman2000
May 30, 2008, 04:13 PM
Here's an example of why synthing kicks ass.
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=123&pictureid=692

Just made this today, didn't have to hunt for a damn thing.

Sexy_Raine
May 30, 2008, 04:53 PM
As much as I dislike melee weps, I'd say synth them anyway. They can sell for a lot, and be traded for something you're looking for. My 50+ Catilium is waiting for the synth boost.

Faliures suck, but you can always get what you're looking again. It's not as hard as it used to be.

60Hz
May 30, 2008, 05:12 PM
Synth is the only way! So even if you don't get that 44 - 50% you are looking for you can recoup some of the cost by selling your second highest elementals...

I started synthing just guns, dont have to worry about %'s... then i got into the kubara range weaps, great return on investment there selling alterics at million (this was back in the day)... guns are a good place to start, strikes are 2nd and armor is last...

I either synth for my own armament or I synth to sell (always easier), then with that money i can buy my own weaps and armor.

mvffin
May 30, 2008, 05:36 PM
Lately I haven't found anything worth synthing. A lot of times, the materials needed to synth cost more than just buying a made weapon.

Ogni-XR21
May 30, 2008, 06:47 PM
Thanks for all the input! I started a strike pm today, I will take the cheap route cause I don't have that much money (probably 16 million after buying a tesbra for 10 a few days ago) - I know I'm cheap...

My range pm on my main is already 100, I will give it a try, but I don't have a lot of boards yet since I wasn't playing for almost a year. Maybe some good guns for my PT will come out of it.
I've been checking the shops a little bit, it really seems that the most money can be made with striking weapons.

In the meantime I will farm Sleeping Warriors a bit, already got a relic edge - yay - and on my last run I even had a rare map (but no drops except feathers and a goldania from the the rare mini-bosses at the end). To be honest it's a bit more motivating to play when you have a greater goal in mind...

@Sexy-Raine: Did you accidently pm me in-game yesterday?

MightierToaster
May 30, 2008, 06:59 PM
I make loads off of synthesizing. Now if I have the option of selling a Relic's Edge for 1.5 MIL + or risking failure of shinowa line, I'll take my 1.5 Mil and walk away.

DoubleJG
May 30, 2008, 07:26 PM
+1 for synthing.

Delete
May 30, 2008, 07:42 PM
Thanks for all the input! I started a strike pm today, I will take the cheap route cause I don't have that much money (probably 16 million after buying a tesbra for 10 a few days ago) - I know I'm cheap...

My range pm on my main is already 100, I will give it a try, but I don't have a lot of boards yet since I wasn't playing for almost a year. Maybe some good guns for my PT will come out of it.
I've been checking the shops a little bit, it really seems that the most money can be made with striking weapons.

In the meantime I will farm Sleeping Warriors a bit, already got a relic edge - yay - and on my last run I even had a rare map (but no drops except feathers and a goldania from the the rare mini-bosses at the end). To be honest it's a bit more motivating to play when you have a greater goal in mind...

@Sexy-Raine: Did you accidently pm me in-game yesterday?

Are you on 360 or pc/ps2? Because i could give ya some boards and help get your pm up. Im on 360 myself.

nooblet
May 30, 2008, 07:44 PM
i hardly ever synth things due to things being cheaper to buy. granted i may not get the right percent or element but hunting/buying materials is more costly in time/meseta.

Tek[+]Lok
May 30, 2008, 07:49 PM
I'll wait until my PM is finished.

Adriano
May 31, 2008, 01:48 AM
Here's an example of why synthing kicks ass.
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=123&pictureid=692

Just made this today, didn't have to hunt for a damn thing.

hot! Grats :O

Shinko
May 31, 2008, 02:30 AM
Mm... the only thing i got to 10/10 was my creasabra..... which is actually quite good. its better than an ungrind crimsic.... who knew.... oh and with 331 pp.....

MS-Wift
May 31, 2008, 04:36 AM
I don't synth solely because none of my PMs are at high production levels yet.

Also, I don't know what to do with all this meseta I have spread about my characters, and I need to upgrade my gear.

Syl
May 31, 2008, 04:47 AM
The synth system is great as long as you view it as 50/50 you fail it or you get it.

The elemental % boost from V1 is very nice. It's nice knowing all my synths aren't going to come out 12-18% >_>

WHlTEKNIGHT
May 31, 2008, 05:10 AM
Synthing is the best part of the game

Ogni-XR21
May 31, 2008, 05:21 AM
Are you on 360 or pc/ps2? Because i could give ya some boards and help get your pm up. Im on 360 myself.

Thanks for the offer <3 <3

I'm on PC though. :(

Realmz
May 31, 2008, 06:50 AM
i finally got my very first actual success story from synthing, nothing too great just a sweet death 11% ground, but hey i have my first S Rank :D

i woulda madea Rucar, but i still don't have the other blade, or the board, or that ass load of goldania...-_-