PDA

View Full Version : Who's waiting on the next big event?

Uber_Noob
May 30, 2008, 08:08 AM
With all the controversy surrounding this one and all of the player dislikes and competetion. Not to mention the chance to recieve items once believed to be rare,do you think the PSU community will be ready for the next big event?

Chibi_psu
May 30, 2008, 08:17 AM
there is a lot of new stuff that the jp already has so i think they should release most of that first and then the dengeki cup in august or september.

Jakosifer
May 30, 2008, 08:17 AM
I only "enjoy" playing this when events are going on anyway, so yea. pretty much.

And most people will be ready for it by the time it comes...Which'll be in like 10 years. :D

Vent
May 30, 2008, 08:37 AM
A lot of people say they play PSU for the events. But I bet a lot of those people actually play too for a part of the time between two events. Why? To prepare for the next event of course!

F-Gattaca
May 30, 2008, 09:30 AM
You know what I did on the last day of MAG?

A world tour of Gurhal. I eschewed running MAG almost entirely.

Events are great and they keep the game interesting outside what is typically available (or where people flock to at least), but friends really make any MMO for me, from World of Warcraft to Air Rivals/Flysis/Space Cowboy. In other words, I don't stop playing PSU or focus entirely on the next event when MAG ends.

Whether or not the COMMUNITY feels the same way?

Well, I can't find many people who aren't resorting to snarky "SEGAC FAILURE" comments every post they make (even if it's some kind of unrelated thread, like "Do you like chocolate skittles?" No, even there, it'll be "CHOCOLATE SKITTLES FAIL LIKE SEGAC" or some nonsequitir like that). Already seen examples of that in this very thread--few expect the next event to be around the corner, and I guess that means that no, they aren't ready.

Even leaving the community's incredible sanguine nature out of this (</sarcasm>), the Dengeki Carnival is like the Famitsu Cup of yesteryear, right? From what I understand, Dengeki is another rea-life editorial magazine publication thing much like Famitsu. So, as with PSO:BB's Maximum Attacks and PSU's Famitsu Cup, SoA will need to find a sponsor for the Dengeki Carnival. Whether or not we get the event soon or at all depends on if they can find a suitable sponsor to replace Dengeki, as they did with 1-UP taking the place of Famitsu. They had problems looking for just such a sponsor prior to 1-Up taking the offer, if I recall.

Seority
May 30, 2008, 11:57 AM
PSU is living purely on their events.
How long will this last? Not sure, because of how badly they took care of MAG.
I can only hope PSU:AOI lasts and gets better, but I don't have much more then that to go on.

beatrixkiddo
May 30, 2008, 11:59 AM
I want the next event, simply for the Master types. It might be a fun event on its own merit too, though.

Golto
May 30, 2008, 12:11 PM
The next event doesn't interest me as much as MAG did. Lets hope since it takes much longer to get events here than most of the regular content we can get Master Types and a lot of the lvl 150+ S2s before dengeki in Sept-Oct.

Kamiense
May 30, 2008, 12:12 PM
I guess I'm ready for the next big event, but there really isn't much holding me to the game at the moment. Unlike Gattaca, most of the friends I made have quit so I would have to stay with the crowd who has no interest in befriending me.

If PSU has to rely solely on events to stay alive, it should just die.

DavidNel
May 30, 2008, 12:15 PM
Voted no because I'm leaving!

Kylie
May 30, 2008, 12:23 PM
I feel deeply sorry for anyone that plays PSU just for the events because the last two were big, stinking duds. :lol: However, I do have faith in the carnival event. It looks like stuff they haven't done before, and that's why FB and 1UP were decent events. I just hope they don't ruin it by having one mission per week like they've done since 1UP (:mad:); PSUPedia doesn't specify that.

If I was to guess when it'll be out, I'd say August or September.

amtalx
May 30, 2008, 12:58 PM
I'm not waiting on the next event. You know why? Because we are still waiting on content that should have been delivered months ago. Once ST fixes everything they have previously screwed up, then they can think about adding new events. Right now, ST can't tie their shoes in the morning without choking themselves with the laces. Let's get that right before we ask them to drive to work, eh?

pikachief
May 30, 2008, 01:33 PM
imm stocking zon-photons to pre-sell for event lol

i do need some more ground weapons though....

EspioKaos
May 30, 2008, 01:54 PM
However, I do have faith in the carnival event. It looks like stuff they haven't done before, and that's why FB and 1UP were decent events. I just hope they don't ruin it by having one mission per week like they've done since 1UP (:mad:); PSUPedia doesn't specify that.
We'll have multiple missions from the start with a few that are unlocked by earning various amounts of points. Here's how it worked:

Dengeki Editorial Department (http://psupedia.info/Dengeki_Editorial_Department) - This one was there for the duration of the event, though new items were added as time passed.
Do-or-die Spirit - Den (http://psupedia.info/Do-or-die_Spirit_-_Den) - This one was staggered; it was available for two weeks, then gone for two and finally back for the last two weeks.
Do-or-die Spirit - Geki (http://psupedia.info/Do-or-die_Spirit_-_Geki) - This one came in during the absence of the mission above and lasted until the end of the event.
Lightning Speed (http://psupedia.info/Lightning_Speed) - This is the airboard mission which was unlocked after earning 350,000 points.
Protectors' Choice (http://psupedia.info/Protectors%27_Choice) - This is the quiz mission which was unlocked after earning 30,000 points.
Television Puzzle (http://psupedia.info/Television_Puzzle) - This mission was available from the start.
Lightning Duel (http://psupedia.info/Lightning_Duel) - This one became available two weeks into the event.

Ami~
May 30, 2008, 01:56 PM
I too am looking forward to the carnival event. It looks like it will be a lot of fun. It looked fun from the brief moment I was on JP during that event, as it takes place in the "space for rent" room on the 2nd(maybe 3rd) floor of the gaurdian's colony.

But events shouldn't really make the game, people should.

stukasa
May 30, 2008, 02:04 PM
It's too far into the future for me to even begin thinking about it yet. I mean, we haven't even gotten our MAG extension/rewards or the PA rebalance yet! Those are the things I'm looking forward to right now. And honestly, I'm still a little tired from MAG. I like being able to run any mission I want instead of the same thing over and over for weeks at a time.

I'm sure I'll be looking forward to it when it gets closer though! ^^

Miyoko
May 30, 2008, 02:24 PM
Only if the next event doesn't have retarded leaderboards to completely ruin it again. If it does, then, I hope it never comes. >_>

Kylie
May 30, 2008, 02:39 PM
We'll have multiple missions from the start with a few that are unlocked by earning various amounts of points. Here's how it worked:

Dengeki Editorial Department (http://psupedia.info/Dengeki_Editorial_Department) - This one was there for the duration of the event, though new items were added as time passed.
Do-or-die Spirit - Den (http://psupedia.info/Do-or-die_Spirit_-_Den) - This one was staggered; it was available for two weeks, then gone for two and finally back for the last two weeks.
Do-or-die Spirit - Geki (http://psupedia.info/Do-or-die_Spirit_-_Geki) - This one came in during the absence of the mission above and lasted until the end of the event.
Lightning Speed (http://psupedia.info/Lightning_Speed) - This is the airboard mission which was unlocked after earning 350,000 points.
Protectors' Choice (http://psupedia.info/Protectors%27_Choice) - This is the quiz mission which was unlocked after earning 30,000 points.
Television Puzzle (http://psupedia.info/Television_Puzzle) - This mission was available from the start.
Lightning Duel (http://psupedia.info/Lightning_Duel) - This one became available two weeks into the event.
When will they learn that that's what burns us out? or that's what it is for me at least...

Vent
May 30, 2008, 02:42 PM
Only if the next event doesn't have retarded leaderboards to completely ruin it again. If it does, then, I hope it never comes. >_>

So how does a leaderboard ruin an event?

pikachief
May 30, 2008, 02:48 PM

cuz we wouldn't have gotten nearly as many points as we did get without them.

Jennababy
May 30, 2008, 02:51 PM
I'm counting the days! :D

Powder Keg
May 30, 2008, 02:53 PM
I'll tell you this--I can wait.

EspioKaos
May 30, 2008, 02:54 PM
When will they learn that that's what burns us out? or that's what it is for me at least...

Oh, something that I forgot to mention, the "Do-or-die" missions received additional sections as more points were earned, so you were still getting some new stuff as the event progressed. (In these, more difficult enemies, but better drops.)

Still, I understand your point. But at least we've got Japan's next event to look forward to. From what little I've seen, it seems to be a dark SEED version of Firebreak, (inb4 Darkbreak), but this comes from only two pictures and the event's name (Shred the Darkness). Anyway, we'll find out for sure in the coming weeks as it's supposed to begin in June. I'm hoping for a Firebreak-style event with multiple missions to choose from. The one or two mission thing does get old after a while.

SonicTMP
May 30, 2008, 02:57 PM
Since I jumped ship originally at the 60 cap and didn't come back till a few weeks before MAG started this was my first event.

I liked the event itself, got to hang out with greater amount of people than those who haunt white beast. My only reasl complaints are waiting on the extention/rewards an extra month and the community drama over stuff that didn't effect them in the slightest.

I look foward to the next event to see what it's like and see the population surge up a bit again. I just they didn't link all the high end units into events only.

Shiro_Ryuu
May 30, 2008, 03:03 PM
I feel deeply sorry for anyone that plays PSU just for the events because the last two were big, stinking duds. :lol: However, I do have faith in the carnival event. It looks like stuff they haven't done before, and that's why FB and 1UP were decent events. I just hope they don't ruin it by having one mission per week like they've done since 1UP (:mad:); PSUPedia doesn't specify that.

If I was to guess when it'll be out, I'd say August or September.

Well, as of late, I have been playing only during events. I'm pretty much waiting for Sega to give us completely new missions, and by that, not S2 versions of already existing missions. I'm still waiting for Sakura Warpath (Shiraha-zashi = <3), and all that great stuff.

Darius_Drake
May 30, 2008, 03:03 PM
I try not to hate on anyone. I enjoy the events though. I always felt the events were a nice touch and anything that brings back memories of PSO is always welcome.

furrypaws
May 30, 2008, 03:54 PM
Considering we have something "special" going on with little to no breaks inbetween, I'd say no. I'm not at least.

It looks like Sega does this purposely, considering we get events just about nobody in the U.S. has ever heard of (White Day? What's even funnier is it got priority over Easter) and events that are barely celebrated (a whole MONTH for Valentine's Day?). They're trying too hard to keep us playing, and ironicly, that's what's shoving me away. Yes, I know I don't have to hunt the special of the month, but I'm a sucker for those kind of scams. And I really don't have time to be with this game.

Jainsea
May 30, 2008, 04:24 PM
This event sounds real awesome but Im worried about if we need a sponser for it T_T
I dont want to get my hopes up though. Well have to wait and see I suppose.

Dragwind
May 30, 2008, 04:25 PM
Gib Dengenki, however that shit is spelled.

I wana tank, and have it be useful again D:

relentless
May 30, 2008, 04:56 PM
It's Dengeki Cup.

Yeah, I want to summon tanks as well.

EspioKaos
May 30, 2008, 04:57 PM
This event sounds real awesome but Im worried about if we need a sponser for it T_T
I dont want to get my hopes up though. Well have to wait and see I suppose.

A sponsor is not necessary, as we were shown by Firebreak. Chillaura mentioned at a GM meeting last week that they may or may not get one for our version of Dengeki.

Mysterious-G
May 30, 2008, 05:02 PM
Considering we have something "special" going on with little to no breaks inbetween, I'd say no. I'm not at least.

It looks like Sega does this purposely, considering we get events just about nobody in the U.S. has ever heard of (White Day? What's even funnier is it got priority over Easter) and events that are barely celebrated (a whole MONTH for Valentine's Day?). They're trying too hard to keep us playing, and ironicly, that's what's shoving me away. Yes, I know I don't have to hunt the special of the month, but I'm a sucker for those kind of scams. And I really don't have time to be with this game.

Halloween. It's not being celebrated outside of America. Be happy we have it in PSU! :-?
And seriously, why should they leave out content for us? Because we do not know about something they do, they cannot put in what they do? :-?

@Topic: The next big event for me is the next update. And I know, it's next Friday... But SEGA...

Jainsea
May 30, 2008, 05:44 PM
A sponsor is not necessary, as we were shown by Firebreak. Chillaura mentioned at a GM meeting last week that they may or may not get one for our version of Dengeki.

Oh really? wow so its possible we might get it even with no sponsor? ^_^!
sorry if i didnt understand, just with how things are atm w/ ST idk anything no more T_T

Kylie
May 30, 2008, 05:58 PM
I heard 1UP wasn't up to it because the last event they did was more trouble than it was worth. *whistles* I bet it'd be called either "Lightning Cup" or "Summer Festival" without a sponsor.

EspioKaos
May 30, 2008, 06:22 PM
I heard 1UP wasn't up to it because the last event they did was more trouble than it was worth. *whistles* I bet it'd be called either "Lightning Cup" or "Summer Festival" without a sponsor.
Keeping with the lightning theme of the event, I say "Electric Boogaloo." o:

But seriously, yeah, I could see it becoming "Lightning Cup," "Summer Carnival" or something similar for our version.

Miyoko
May 30, 2008, 06:39 PM

Causes drama, board elitism and stupidity, and worst of all, "No I can't party right now, I'm grinding C". PSU is supposed to be a casual game. It just goes against the mantra of what the game's about.

Not to mention, when there's a prize involved, it's extremely unfair to the classes that can use it. I mean, come on, 14* madoogs cost 99 gold badges, yet 14* shotguns are a limited time and limited number item? Retarded.

Of course, the fact there was one mission really didn't help, either. >_>

Saraphina
May 30, 2008, 08:17 PM
I just really really want that Falclaw ^_^ so i'm lookin for the next event!

SonicTMP
May 30, 2008, 08:32 PM
Causes drama, board elitism and stupidity, and worst of all, "No I can't party right now, I'm grinding C". PSU is supposed to be a casual game. It just goes against the mantra of what the game's about.

Not to mention, when there's a prize involved, it's extremely unfair to the classes that can use it. I mean, come on, 14* madoogs cost 99 gold badges, yet 14* shotguns are a limited time and limited number item? Retarded.

I disagree. A leaderboard gives the hardcore players something to shoot for. Sure PSU is casual but there is no reason they can't give somethig to those who want to put the extra effort in.

The drama and elitism part of it is just stupid and there is no reason for it. The board doesn't even effect most of us. So lashing out at anyone on it or at the top is just pointless. And if those at the top want to gloat, just ignore them. It's not like sega won't punish the cheaters, nor do those at the top effect the rest of us.

As for items. I'll agree with you on that. Alot of stuff seems linked to events only. Rather dumb overall. At least it's trade/sellable.

Jinto117
May 30, 2008, 09:40 PM
Haven't played PSU since the end of 07. Glad to see things haven't changed. I bet everyone is enjoying the same crap events every 6 months.

furrypaws
May 30, 2008, 09:55 PM
And seriously, why should they leave out content for us? Because we do not know about something they do, they cannot put in what they do? :-?

I was more referring to the fact that it seems filler, like something to try and get us to play longer. It's not above Sega to do things like that. Sometimes, I like to see the regular lobby without having to logoff. Aha, when AoI came in and I played offline for the first time in about 6 months, it was kind of like, "Woah...this is the basic lobby." I had actually forgotten what the default lobby music was.

It's just a little tiring, month after month, to feel I have to hunt a creature or else I'll miss it until next year. I'm not sure if I have OCD, or ADD, or I-Want-To-Collect-Limited-Items disorder, but my goodness...this game can wear me out.

ANd to think, I'm getting this exhausted over a game Sega will end less than 8 years from now (most likely. If I had to guess, I'm not sure it'll even last 5.)

amtalx
May 30, 2008, 10:09 PM

PSU IS SERIOUS BIZNISS

Also, ST hates gunners.

SStrikerR
May 30, 2008, 10:18 PM
I'm not. There's honestly NOTHING in this game that's worth my time anymore. Hunting S ranks? No, they're cheap and everyone has a bunch of them. Leveling PAs? Grinding is boring. Leveling to the cap? Again, grind grind grind. Oh, and reskins. I can't get enuff of those reskins, I wish sega would add more. PSU for the ps2/pc side won't last 5 years, not a chance.

Miyoko
May 31, 2008, 12:43 AM
I disagree. A leaderboard gives the hardcore players something to shoot for. Sure PSU is casual but there is no reason they can't give somethig to those who want to put the extra effort in.

The drama and elitism part of it is just stupid and there is no reason for it. The board doesn't even effect most of us. So lashing out at anyone on it or at the top is just pointless. And if those at the top want to gloat, just ignore them. It's not like sega won't punish the cheaters, nor do those at the top effect the rest of us.

As for items. I'll agree with you on that. Alot of stuff seems linked to events only. Rather dumb overall. At least it's trade/sellable.
The idea of giving hardcore players something to shoot for isn't a bad one. I agree with you on that. However, isn't that done with the trade ins? Pushans and all those other things? It's the same thing, just... Without the stupid, and without the drama. ...I don't know, I think this would just be one thing we'd have to agree to disagree on :P

You're right, I agree that drama and elitism isn't necessary, and there is no reason for it. However, that's what having a leaderboard does. You can't have one without the other. Even though it doesn't effect everyone personally, it DOES effect the community. Just look at the shit storms around tidus, and furthering the annoying platform-fanboyism.

It's like Amtalx said -- ST hates gunners. And it's true. It's completely retarded that the only two leaderboard items in the game have both been fG(PT) stuff :/ (thank god, one of them we got didn't actually require a leaderboard... :p)

PS. You're freakin' awesome and a role model for not jumping to flaming and imposing your viewpoint :P

SonicTMP
May 31, 2008, 01:27 AM
Hey I can troll at times too. :p

Well the turn in part can be done by everyone though. Within the span of a month it's not that hard. . My guy was at like 68 at the start of the event, he's at 126 now. I didn't play enough to hit the cap yet I still got pushan, the music disks, ruby bullet, and about 30 badges worth of lottery fun. There are those who got tons more and others who got less. Just an example.

But the point I'm making is the turn in is as casual as it is hardcore. There always needs to be something to rewards both sides for their respective playstyles. A leaderboard fills the hardcore role, as does the prize for doing so.

Is it the best idea? Of course not. But for what this game is, what else can you do? It's more of less the flow I've seen in other games. Fancy equipment to show off that you're top dog.

I can coincide that the leaderboards bring the drama/elitisim along for the ride. It doesn't help that so many feel the need to bring it everywhere though. I'll strike right at a point with this one. I don't really enjoy seeing the idiots here with the anti-tidus sigs. Because it brings the drama where it doesn't need to be. I don't need to be remided every other thread about some random doushe who cheated.

It's not like it doesn't happen in other games either. The top spot has become more of a place of ridicule, scorn and random insults than the place of awe and encouragment of trying harder yourself to obtain that same cool stuff. Personally I find that sad. If tidus wasn't at the top then somsone else would have. And the same arguments of no life, accoutn sharing, might be hacking would be slapped on to that person. IT sorta comes witht he leaderboard thing as does the drama/etc.

As for Hating gunners. Yeah... I have to synth all my melee weapons since I'm poor. And seeing as I failed 3 80%+ synths in a row a few days ago, inculding the only rucar stuff i got from mag, gunners can go suck it. http://home.san.rr.com/ksonick/pics/poring/porem_sweat.gif

pikachief
May 31, 2008, 01:32 AM
As for Hating gunners. Yeah... I have to synth all my melee weapons since I'm poor. And seeing as I failed 3 80%+ synths in a row a few days ago, inculding the only rucar stuff i got from mag, gunners can go suck it. http://home.san.rr.com/ksonick/pics/poring/porem_sweat.gif

hey, failing 8 S rank guns in a row isnt that nice either! lol

SonicTMP
May 31, 2008, 01:33 AM
hey, failing 8 S rank guns in a row isnt that nice either! lol

touché ... +1

Shinko
May 31, 2008, 01:40 AM
I'm not. There's honestly NOTHING in this game that's worth my time anymore. Hunting S ranks? No, they're cheap and everyone has a bunch of them. Leveling PAs? Grinding is boring. Leveling to the cap? Again, grind grind grind. Oh, and reskins. I can't get enuff of those reskins, I wish sega would add more. PSU for the ps2/pc side won't last 5 years, not a chance.

lol lmao hahahaa everything in this quote is so true....

though there must me something about it because i still find myself playing it
and segac is known for the reskins in psu heh

F-Gattaca
May 31, 2008, 01:57 AM
You know, now that I think about it, a lot of MMOs actually reskin or reuse to some degree or another. When I first played PSO, I thought that Sega's using an enemy archetype and making several skins of it was a tribute to the palette-swapped enemies of older console RPGs. I've made that statement several times in the past here, I believe.

However ... The more I think about it (especially since I keep tabs on other MMOs), it's become more obvious that reusing material is a common occurence in MMOs. For example take Ragnarok Online--ever since Samsung took over and a lot of Gravity's original talent walked out from the way Samsung was treating them, it's become more obvious in new content where certain sprites were molded off older stuff. Not everything is reused, but some things are. That even includes newer player classes, you can see hints that they built their sprites off existing ones.

I saw much of the same in World of Warcraft and Anarchy Online, actually--reskins, retextures, and balatant reuse of enemies whose only difference in appearance was a different name.

Sega took a mere year to produce Ambitions of Illuminus--something that others said is a lot less time than the average MMO expansion's development time. I'm not surprised they've done so much reskins (though that they chose De Rol Le as the template for Dark Falz Phase 1 did surprise me), yet it's hilarious how many people find the whole thing to be an unforgivable fact.

Especially certain ones who are PSO fanboys and should've been used to it from playing that game.

Miyoko
May 31, 2008, 02:02 AM
Actually, Gattaca, I'm glad you mentioned WoW and reskins...

That game's a worse offender than PSU. >_> Look at Molten Chore. The Naga bosses are all -litterally identical- in their appearance. They didn't even bother to reskin them. They're just... Bigger.

F-Gattaca
May 31, 2008, 02:14 AM
Actually, Gattaca, I'm glad you mentioned WoW and reskins...

That game's a worse offender than PSU. >_> Look at Molten Chore. The Naga bosses are all -litterally identical- in their appearance. They didn't even bother to reskin them. They're just... Bigger.

Haha. I never got that far to do raids, but it DOES remind me of that fan machinma's credit songs. "We're MC Raiders~ We, ain't, got, no lii-iife!"

Which reminds me. I'm not the type to indulge in grinding either, yet I still play MMOs and still enjoy them ... and that's because for me, MMOs are only fun when they're played with friends. On top of that, playing MMOs often inspires me to do stuff like this (http://trevmun.deviantart.com/art/PSU-The-Gurhal-3-87209397) and this (http://trevmun.deviantart.com/art/Ragnarok-Wisdom-Five-Years-65462611). For me, all of that validates sinking a part of my life into MMOs, heheh.

SonicTMP
May 31, 2008, 04:13 AM
I liked MC, BWL was hard as hell. I saw like 2 bosses of AQ. Raiding can be alot of fun, but man the stress level is insane.

Anyway. We complain about reskins, but it's a common setup for every game. Seriously go back and look at PSO. And I don't mean the hard to ultimate reskins. I mean booma and every mob like it in caves and ruins. Same AI, same general shape, just a reskin.

Now bosses (not their minions) tend to be nice and unique. PSU is the expection to that sadly.

I'm not surprised they've done so much reskins (though that they chose De Rol Le as the template for Dark Falz Phase 1 did surprise me), yet it's hilarious how many people find the whole thing to be an unforgivable fact.

DF was a very unique and fun boss back in PSO. That's why people get so pissy. You took an awesome 3-4 stage boss and turned him into a pathetic reskined worm. And the next part is a reskin of another boss. Both 1 stage bosses. You'd think a namesake boss would be a bit more... epic.

F-Gattaca
May 31, 2008, 05:14 AM
I liked MC, BWL was hard as hell. I saw like 2 bosses of AQ. Raiding can be alot of fun, but man the stress level is insane.

Anyway. We complain about reskins, but it's a common setup for every game. Seriously go back and look at PSO. And I don't mean the hard to ultimate reskins. I mean booma and every mob like it in caves and ruins. Same AI, same general shape, just a reskin.

Now bosses (not their minions) tend to be nice and unique. PSU is the expection to that sadly.

Well, I recall people grumbling about Dragon, Gol Dragon, Sil Dragon, and Gal Gryphon ...

DF was a very unique and fun boss back in PSO. That's why people get so pissy. You took an awesome 3-4 stage boss and turned him into a pathetic reskined worm. And the next part is a reskin of another boss. Both 1 stage bosses. You'd think a namesake boss would be a bit more... epic.

I was speaking of PSU as a whole when I talked about unforgivable acts, but yes, I've played PSO as well (Episode 1 only though) to know what Dark Falz is like. Fought his third phase as well.

On the other hand, Dark Falz's first phase wasn't really anything special, was it? Just rather creepy to behold. A bunch of whirlygig minions and a malformed Red Ring Rico with dragons growing out of her backside--if I recall, it was only during the second form that Dark Falz became something of a threat, and by the third phase, it was game on.

I'm not bothered by the fact that Dark Falz is a reskin of other PSU bosses. De Rol Le was an ... odd choice, but story-wise it's acceptable because it's plausible. When I first heard about it and saw the videos, I recalled what people said of Heathclif Flowen's encounter with Dark Falz prior to Episode 1. The way Dark Falz, D-Cell creatures, and the SEED behave ... taken together with the genetic engineering they did to create De Rol Le, who in turn mutates animals into Altered Beasts ... makes me wonder if De Rol Le was actually an attempt to create a replica of Dark Falz with comparable abilities ... Sure, it's all fan speculation based on what we know from PSO, but if there is that, then I'm not too bothered.

I know that Dark Falz Phase 2 in PSU will be a reskin of Dulk Fakis Phase 1/Mother Brain. What matters to me though is how they execute such a reskin. If there is a third phase at all, I hope they plan to reskin it using the template for Fakis Phase 2 or Magas Maganna--in a way, Dark Falz's third phase was much like Magas, and considering what has been demonstrated as far as the pliability of reskinning templates to create monsters with different behavior patterns, it wouldn't be a bad choice.

But yeah. Compared to PSO's reskin system, I actually like how PSU has improved it to allow for monsters of the same template to actually behave fairly differently. Just take a look at the Delsabian, Deljaban, Gohmon, Olgomon, Golmon, Vahra, Go Vahra, Vanda, Vanda Olga, and Vanda Merhas--hell, you can add PSU's Boomas to that too. All of them have the same "bipedal creature" archetype.

Miyoko
May 31, 2008, 05:46 AM

Did you do a lot of raiding?

It's neat at first...

... But after you've raided every instance a few times, and decked yourself out in epix...

You'll never, ever, ever want to set foot in another raid instance ever again... I'm just lucky that the quest for new loot couldn't compete with my utter contempt and hate for that game, and was able to (easily) quit. >_> I spent most of my time in raids playing tetris, and still managed to top the healing charts... <_<

It's fun for about 15 minutes... It's neat to see 40 people working together, and the "new" bosses... But the novelty wears off, fast. You're right though, it's stressful as all hell. I don't miss raids the slightest little bit. Such a drama / stress-fest, it'd just make me feel sick sometimes. :/ I can only imagine what it's like for admins / captains.

Anywho, on the topic of reskins... PSU can be really hit or miss with it's reskins, too. Some of the reskins are so radically different, it's extremely impressive. For instance, Maghanna vs Dehganna (I'm sure I didn't spell either correctly >_>) Maggy is -soooo- much different than daggy, yet... Falz is practically -identical- to De Rol :l

... We did an -awesome- job of derailing this thread... \>.>/

Mysterious-G
May 31, 2008, 06:15 AM
I know that Dark Falz Phase 2 in PSU will be a reskin of Dulk Fakis Phase 1/Mother Brain. What matters to me though is how they execute such a reskin.

But yeah. Compared to PSO's reskin system, I actually like how PSU has improved it to allow for monsters of the same template to actually behave fairly differently.

Actually, there is a Dark Falz phase in the data, which is Dulk Fakis phase 2.
I hope there will be more phases, but my hopes are not really high.

And even PSO reskins acted different. A bit. Gilchics attacked twice a.e... :wacko:

F-Gattaca
May 31, 2008, 07:19 AM
Actually, there is a Dark Falz phase in the data, which is Dulk Fakis phase 2.
I hope there will be more phases, but my hopes are not really high.

Wait, you're sure on this? Because I would greatly prefer that to the boss template I referred to.

And even PSO reskins acted different. A bit. Gilchics attacked twice a.e... :wacko:

Actually, I don't think the Gilchics are in the same archetype as Boomas/Evil Sharks/Demians. They seem far too different in everything they do. I think they have their own archetype, of which Dubchics would be members.

I'm quite partial to the Mines out of all the PSO Ep 1 areas since it seemed the most unique among the four areas--and one of the only areas to not have a Booma-archetype enemy (Considering how Demians, Evil Sharks, Boomas and their progeny are all exact clones of one another in how they walk and attack ... They even die the same way, doing a faceplant into the ground appendages-first).

Anywho, on the topic of reskins... PSU can be really hit or miss with it's reskins, too. Some of the reskins are so radically different, it's extremely impressive. For instance, Maghanna vs Dehganna (I'm sure I didn't spell either correctly >_>) Maggy is -soooo- much different than daggy, yet... Falz is practically -identical- to De Rol :l

Okay, I'll give you that. Something they could have (probably) easily done to make DF really mean would be to replace the spores with megid shots. Probably wouldn't make much sense considering the PSO Dark Falz Phase 1 wasn't that cruel either, buuut ...

... We did an -awesome- job of derailing this thread... >.>/

We can't stop here! THIS IS SHAGREECE COUNTRY!

*stuffs SonicTMP and Miyoko into the clown car and high tails it for Pracabana Coast*

SonicTMP
May 31, 2008, 03:58 PM
Lots to cover.

Well, I recall people grumbling about Dragon, Gol Dragon, Sil Dragon, and Gal Gryphon ...

I can forgive that because on the DC there wasn't much, GC a bit more. Ice dragon didn't do much different. But the liighting one did (don't remeber which name is which.) Gryphon, at least looked radically different. But allt he same in the end. As was the manta ray version of mome's arch-nemesis.

It's neat at first...

... But after you've raided every instance a few times, and decked yourself out in epix...

Yeah I did enough. Paladin who went from healign to tanking with BC. As i said, saw MC/BWL mostly witha little AQ. Though I'm so sick of karazan now. I agree with getting decked out. You sorta get bored of running the same instance too many times. Sorta like white beast spamming. Only you don't have the option to go to another map. T_T

I'm quite partial to the Mines out of all the PSO Ep 1 areas since it seemed the most unique among the four areas--and one of the only areas to not have a Booma-archetype enemy (Considering how Demians, Evil Sharks, Boomas and their progeny are all exact clones of one another in how they walk and attack ... They even die the same way, doing a faceplant into the ground appendages-first).

I enjoy mines alot also. Ninja robots, giant missle batteries (the ones in PSU SUCK!) and zombie robots were freaking awesome. It's a shame how annoyingly dumb the robots in PSU are.

And would you move the seat up a bit, I've got no leg room in the back of this clown car.