PDA

View Full Version : Question about robot slowdown on XBOX 360

JC10001
May 31, 2008, 07:25 AM
I'd like to hunt for a Rattlesnake but unfortunately its kind of a pain because I have to reset my system after every other run because of the memory leak / slowdown problems.

I'm wondering, does anyone know if you still get the slowdown if you start the game in regular (i.e. non-AOI) mode? The reason I'm asking is because these levels were never an issue before AOI came out.

Also, if you play in non-AOI mode, are the drop rates still boosted or are they like in the old version where things basically never dropped? Basically what I'm asking here is did the drop rate boosts for the old levels apply for people who are still playing regular PSU or just to those with AOI.

Broodstar1337
May 31, 2008, 08:36 AM
You can't play Vanilla PSU after you've transferred over to AOI. Period.

That wouldn't have stopped the robot memory leak anyway.

JC10001
May 31, 2008, 08:45 AM
Then why does it ask you if you want to start Ambitions of the Illuminous at the title screen? (Vanilla PSU is the default) Makes no sense if the online portions are identical (since AOI on 360 lacks a story mode).

The reason I thought this might help with the slowdown is because I was thinking there might be a way to play without the AOI patch, which is what caused the slowdown.

pikachief
May 31, 2008, 08:56 AM
i dont think it would help, but when u select XBOX LIVE from selecting the old PSU, it wont let u go online.

amtalx
May 31, 2008, 08:57 AM
It asks you if you want to start AoI because the only way to play the single player mode is to run the regular PSU. If you try to sign in with PSU, you will get an error message though.

JC10001
May 31, 2008, 09:02 AM
i dont think it would help, but when u select XBOX LIVE from selecting the old PSU, it wont let u go online.

Oh, ok. That's sucks. I wonder why they did it like that? Wouldn't it have made more sense to keep the title screen the same as before and have story mode start the old PSU story and Xbox Live start AOI online? Oh well, figured it was worth a shot. Thanks.

Arika
May 31, 2008, 09:21 AM
oh, I wonder about this too how much lag in MAG?

Colonel Mustard
May 31, 2008, 11:06 AM
I'd like to hunt for a Rattlesnake but unfortunately its kind of a pain because I have to reset my system after every other run because of the memory leak / slowdown problems.

I'm wondering, does anyone know if you still get the slowdown if you start the game in regular (i.e. non-AOI) mode? The reason I'm asking is because these levels were never an issue before AOI came out.

Also, if you play in non-AOI mode, are the drop rates still boosted or are they like in the old version where things basically never dropped? Basically what I'm asking here is did the drop rate boosts for the old levels apply for people who are still playing regular PSU or just to those with AOI.You can hunt rattlesnake pretty much without slowdown if you avoid two spawns:

1. The map where you have to go to the right to get a key: if you get tirentos, abandon.

2. The map where there is a spawn immediately to your left: if you get blue rifle soldiers, abandon.

Colonel Mustard hunts rattlesnakes!

Turb0
May 31, 2008, 09:21 PM
Yeah, here (http://boards2.sega.com/psu_board/viewtopic.php?p=842686#842686) are the 2 slowdown maps. I recently did around 50-55 runs there and by avoiding those 2 spawns I didn't get slowdown once.

desturel
Jun 1, 2008, 07:47 AM
There really needs to be a sticky somewhere with all of the initial spawn slowdown maps for DG and GoF. I don't think anyone has mapped out Sacred Stream, Train Rescue, Rogues Shortcut, or Forest Infiltration, but the other two are well known. It would save people a lot of time when hunting.

Luna Starfire
Jun 1, 2008, 09:36 AM
it took me about 2 hours to figure out what was already posted by another user. if you take notes yourself, you should ultimately arrive at the same conclusion

Nirvash7
Jun 1, 2008, 01:36 PM
Train Rescue never slowed down for me.

Apone
Jun 1, 2008, 01:50 PM
I wish there was a detailed explanation of this slowdown and why it doesnt happen with robots in event missions. At least I've never got any in event missions. Not in winter event or MAG. Is there a link or something that exactly describes what a "memory leak" is?

Legendria
Jun 1, 2008, 02:19 PM
I wish there was a detailed explanation of this slowdown and why it doesnt happen with robots in event missions. At least I've never got any in event missions. Not in winter event or MAG. Is there a link or something that exactly describes what a "memory leak" is?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_leak

nooblet
Jun 1, 2008, 02:29 PM
since on the subject of robots best way to kill them is how?

Apone
Jun 1, 2008, 02:31 PM
Hmm maybe this is more like the "thrashing" described in the article since it only happens to select processes using more resources for the same thing causing the unwanted performance?

Apone
Jun 1, 2008, 02:32 PM
robots have low stamina so incapacitation works pretty well.

Legendria
Jun 1, 2008, 02:42 PM
My theory is that the game allocates memory to do the infamous "robot explosion" on death, but never frees it.

So as you kill more of the correct type of robot, the memory never frees and the game bogs down very fast. Only way to free it yourself is that reboot the article was talking about. Turning off the system, etc.

Turb0
Jun 1, 2008, 02:43 PM
since on the subject of robots best way to kill them is how?

Killer shot. Or if you're a techer, nosdiga works pretty well on the lightning ones too.

Coldbrand
Jun 1, 2008, 05:36 PM
Is SEGA working towards fixing this shit? It's really debilitating and how often it occurs is simply terrifying and unacceptable for a finished product.

Turb0
Jun 1, 2008, 06:35 PM
If you click the link I posted on the 1st page, chill says somewhere in that thread that he met with some players who showed him exactly where it happens at desert goliath. Not sure what will come of that but it's at least a step in the right direction.

Sekani
Jun 1, 2008, 08:05 PM
If you click the link I posted on the 1st page, chill says somewhere in that thread that he met with some players who showed him exactly where it happens at desert goliath. Not sure what will come of that but it's at least a step in the right direction.

It was months before the GMs even acknowledged that the slowdown existed, so I'm not holding my breath for a fix.