PDA

View Full Version : NEW FACES TO CHOOSE FROM...

r00tabaga
Jun 6, 2008, 01:19 PM
I don't wanna get too much into this BUT, it is impossible to make an accurate Asian and African-American character in this game. Yes, you can choose a darker skin tone but it's still a caucasian face!!! Most of the black people I work with and see on the street have either a shaved head, stubbles, corn rows or dreads and none of these four are available hair options. I know I'll never get my way, but would it be that hard for ST to help out w/variety??? I really want a Jet Li'ish acrofighter and a Blade'ish fighgunner some day.

P.S.- thnx for the afro at least..............<sarcasm>

Rescue
Jun 6, 2008, 01:28 PM
well they are not going to add it now but good news everybody its been known that they will have that in PSO2/PSU2/PS5 or whatever the hell they are going to call the next installment....

Ken_Silver
Jun 6, 2008, 01:28 PM
You have some point. But we have to be thankful for the ability to have your skin color changed. Most MMORPG's don't even have that. Trust me, I know. Besides that, remember that these games are designed in Japan, where they don't have the race issue as much as we do in the US/EU. But you can make the Chinese "eyes" if you wanted too. So the Asian part I don't see too well.

Sure you could have a shaved head option or dreads option, but this game doesn't even have a real spikey hair option. They are lacking a lot in the hair department. So go figure. Not to mention that the options that you mentioned aren't popular in Japan.

I believe that ST did a good job with diversity overall compared to most video games. And while it's not perfect. it's one of the best in my opinion. And I am African-American. :)

well they are not going to add it now but good news everybody its been known that they will have that in PSO2/PSU2/PS5 or whatever the hell they are going to call the next installment....

Hey, how are sure are you about that? Or is that an educated guess?

Rescue
Jun 6, 2008, 01:34 PM
Hey, how are sure are you about that? Or is that an educated guess?

Naw... it was me being an ass....

Im af-american and i feel too that hair and facial features are lacking.... I just look at other games and their depth of creating characters faces and while they are not mmorpg i still think that there should be more to it in this game. They are getting better at the character creation aspect of the game though so in time it will hopefully become better in their next installment of the game.

-Ryuki-
Jun 6, 2008, 01:53 PM
Well wait, this game's set in the future.. and there isn't really any hairstyles like THAT existing in our era. Right? >.>

(Well actually, the afro still exists.)

beatrixkiddo
Jun 6, 2008, 01:57 PM
One of the male hairstyles resembles cornrows.

Rescue
Jun 6, 2008, 01:59 PM
Well wait, this game's set in the future.. and there isn't really any hairstyles like THAT existing in our era. Right? >.>

(Well actually, the afro still exists.)

still no excuse for no bald option......

-Ryuki-
Jun 6, 2008, 02:06 PM
still no excuse for no bald option......

My point exactly. In the future.. no one is bald!

Do not use Bruce as a contradiction. >.>

BIGGIEstyle
Jun 6, 2008, 02:39 PM
Bruce lost his hair in a unfortunate smelting accident :P

Alry
Jun 6, 2008, 02:47 PM
What Ken_Silver said is right, PSU is one of the best MMOs out there character customisation wise. So there's no point in clinging to "what it could have", since you know very well they're never going to be able to please everyone. You want bald head, someone else wants long dreadlocks, someone else wants a baseball cap/tinfoil hat/whatever. Hell someone probably dreams of having Marie Antoinette style hairmonster on their char.
This isn't Sims 2.

Kylie
Jun 6, 2008, 03:04 PM
More faces, more hair, more everything would be nice. :yes:

xEndrance
Jun 6, 2008, 03:52 PM
There afraid of rasicims?

Zantra
Jun 6, 2008, 04:07 PM
Um... it's not caucasian... it's anime-ish.

If anything, all of our characters look slightly japanese... because that's the country this game comes from.

Rescue
Jun 6, 2008, 04:38 PM
Bruce lost his hair in a unfortunate smelting accident :P

Well why cant i lose my hair then??? as many times as i have been on fire, had so many viruses, electrocuted, and frostbitten I would think i should be bald by now....

C457 24N632
Jun 6, 2008, 07:12 PM
Well, I always thought it was strange that there was no option for a shaved or bald head, yet they do supply the aged skin map. Kind of an oversight don't you think?

Kylie
Jun 6, 2008, 07:21 PM
There afraid of rasicims?
Speaking of, I think it's difficult to get a true-looking African American on the game; they look a little off to me. But as someone else said, PSU has wonderful customization otherwise, and I'm thankful for that even though it could be definitely improved and added on to.

C457 24N632
Jun 6, 2008, 07:21 PM
Oh, and in response to the original thought in discussion:

Man, this game isn't made in North America. This game isn't marketed towards North America. This game isn't designed with North American users in mind.

With that in mind, why would anyone expect there to be staples of North American culture infused into a game made in Japan, by Japanese, for Japanese users?

This is a Sci-Fi RPG people, not GTA.

Niloklives
Jun 6, 2008, 07:46 PM
yeah the lack of a bald option really pisses me off. face wise I did ok making a black guy though. and there are ways to make eyes look more asian though you can't quite get the facial structure....

I'm gonna run this into the ground but it still gets to me....we can change just about everything about our character after we make them...the only things we can't change are race, gender, proportions, name and....underwear....seriously...wtf. poor Lilith has been wearing the same underwear since january of '07...x.X

shadowsniper6
Jun 6, 2008, 09:35 PM
poor Lilith has been wearing the same underwear since january of '07...x.X

lol thats funny

i think they need more CAST faces or um better ones

AzureBlaze
Jun 6, 2008, 11:20 PM
About the "No baldies" thing.
It was taken out for a reason and it's likely never coming back. "Who ruined my baldness?" you say? Blame the nazis. Back on PSO people used the mohawk (NOTE: it had no hair on the sides and a 'future-tastic' barcode tattoo! on the head) to form "Skinhead Clans" that made smily faces which looked like swastikas and hitlers. They then harassed everyone.

A whole lot of them were out of France (who knows why) but with all the nazi-fueled paranoia and all that nonsense, it frightened ST out of allowing baldness. So that's why the new 'hawks have hair on the side even though it looks bizzare. It's to keep those bad-rep creating punks out. You can see the headlines now if THAT sort of thing got around...

Sadly, it would be the same with the 'small hairs' which you describe wanting. It's too close to having a bald guy and the skinheads would flock to it. (or so they think---yes this whole thing is rediculous)

However, I share the opinion that future games will have more options. THIS game was originally to have more options like a dedicated Boob-Slider bar to adjust one's...boobs. (yes go look it up) and also a very long hair for males and females (think more Maya hair) and some other things which I can't come up with currently. Hopefully they'll run out of kitty ears and emo hats and turn to ethnic styles of many places to spice up the game with fresh looks.

Abashi76
Jun 7, 2008, 12:00 AM
There should also be a paler choice for skin tone, more albinoish ...

-Ryuki-
Jun 7, 2008, 12:06 AM
yeah the lack of a bald option really pisses me off. face wise I did ok making a black guy though. and there are ways to make eyes look more asian though you can't quite get the facial structure....

I'm gonna run this into the ground but it still gets to me....we can change just about everything about our character after we make them...the only things we can't change are race, gender, proportions, name and....underwear....seriously...wtf. poor Lilith has been wearing the same underwear since january of '07...x.X

My main's gone through 3 underwear changes since the release day in '06. Or.. was it 4? >.>

RAGNAGELPPOD
Jun 7, 2008, 12:15 AM
How do you change the underwear?

Alry
Jun 7, 2008, 01:03 AM
About the "No baldies" thing.
It was taken out for a reason and it's likely never coming back. "Who ruined my baldness?" you say? Blame the nazis. Back on PSO people used the mohawk (NOTE: it had no hair on the sides and a 'future-tastic' barcode tattoo! on the head) to form "Skinhead Clans" that made smily faces which looked like swastikas and hitlers. They then harassed everyone.

A whole lot of them were out of France (who knows why) but with all the nazi-fueled paranoia and all that nonsense, it frightened ST out of allowing baldness. So that's why the new 'hawks have hair on the side even though it looks bizzare. It's to keep those bad-rep creating punks out. You can see the headlines now if THAT sort of thing got around...

Sadly, it would be the same with the 'small hairs' which you describe wanting. It's too close to having a bald guy and the skinheads would flock to it. (or so they think---yes this whole thing is rediculous)

However, I share the opinion that future games will have more options. THIS game was originally to have more options like a dedicated Boob-Slider bar to adjust one's...boobs. (yes go look it up) and also a very long hair for males and females (think more Maya hair) and some other things which I can't come up with currently. Hopefully they'll run out of kitty ears and emo hats and turn to ethnic styles of many places to spice up the game with fresh looks.

I don't think nazi gangs on american servers would influence the creators of PSU (who are japanese) to not put bald or anything close to bald in the game. Then again, who knows.. that's the same reason we won't stop getting emo hats and cat ears, if anything we'll get more.
Japan never runs out of cat headbands and frog hats.

superlak
Jun 7, 2008, 09:47 AM
honestly i think that if you really want opions to go that far design your own game and make it so you upload a photo for you character as in my opinion this is a phantasy game it gives everyone the chance to be somthing that they are not in real life

Shiro_Ryuu
Jun 7, 2008, 10:03 AM
My main's gone through 3 underwear changes since the release day in '06. Or.. was it 4? >.>

<.<

Yeah.... at least you no longer need to recreate to do that

Seority
Jun 7, 2008, 10:40 AM
A few years ago it was all about the afro, which we have.
Sega doesn't keep up with latest trends of American black folk, nor do I really think they will. But inserting a bald option should be in there, but it's not going to be for a while if anything.

Niloklives
Jun 7, 2008, 12:27 PM
<.<

Yeah.... at least you no longer need to recreate to do that

No, you still do. ryuki seems to remake his main every few months

Omega_Weltall
Jun 7, 2008, 12:41 PM
ya i find it kinda disappointing too. Especially in FF11, since i cant make my character even remotely dark, i made my character a blond hume who's a black mage, lol i originally wanted a Elvaan RedMage.
I'm probably over thinking this and kina off topic but, Elvaan = Europeans , Hume = Japanese , Mithra = cat girl fetish (thats SO popular in japan), TaruTaru = Loli/Shota fetish , Galka = Blacks and Hispanics.
and another thing, why do everyone think that i play basketball, just cause i'm a tall black guy doesn't mean i play basketfuckingball! I'M AN INTELLECTUAL GODDAMNIT! /rant

-Ryuki-
Jun 7, 2008, 12:58 PM
No, you still do. ryuki seems to remake his main every few months

Half true. I remade often, but it wasn't every so months. 5 remakes.

Shiro_Ryuu
Jun 7, 2008, 01:03 PM

Yeah, you still remade even with AoI, ALL of your characters too except for your Red Ranger. ._.
Well, I remade quite a few times too, so I guess I'm not one to talk. =x

Niloklives
Jun 7, 2008, 01:14 PM

it was half true cause it was a half joke >_> you remake a lot. so far 5 times more than I have on either of my Mains