PDA

View Full Version : How PSU was SUPPOSED to be: Pre-PSU vs Current PSU

RemiusTA
Jun 7, 2008, 01:25 PM
You know, i was looking through the crap on my computer and i happened to find an old early trailer of PSU.

You know, most people say SEGA screwed up when they created this game, but for the most part i believe that they screwed up when they released it. Aside from the flashy camera angles, the shots of actual gameplay looked so much more polished in the earliest builds of this game than in the one we play now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4Vc2DgFkgc

ill just point out a few i noticed from all the logged hours on this game:

1)Photon Arts have no trail effects. To tell the truth, the game looks so much cooler without them, since
the Photon Art effects for most weapons are just trails from the tips of the blades that follow the animation, which look EXTREMELY choppy and ugly imo. For example Spinning Break, the trail follows the sword but does not make a trail in a circular motion. Its ugly.

2) Attack Animations are different. I can see them changing this since they do it in every game...but i enjoy these alot more.

3) Sword Animations are COMPLETELY different. If you notice when Ethan swings his sword, the full animation is COMPLETELY different, and to tell the truth it looks far better and far more fluid. He looks like he has far more control of the sword than they do in this version. But the funny part about this observation is, while the Males have the more "controlled" sword animation, the FEMALES have the sword animation that all races use now.

Funny, eh? My guess is that swords wernt ment to suck as bad as they do now. But whatever. Maybe they did it for balance, but what difference did it make to change the sword animations when they kept the stats different?

I was hoping that Fighmaster replaced the current Sword animation with the animation in that beta version, but apparently the ST now isnt as smart as the ones who made this game, judging from the next observation...

4) Partical effects are WAY better in this version than in the current, and its really sad how they differ.

The Explosion from the De Ragan looks far better than it does in our version, where in this one the effect looks polished, the one in our version has the flame effect horribly stretched. This would explain why Rafoie in this game looks so damn ugly. the 21+/31+ versions have their flame effects stretched really, really, really badly, so it just looks blurry instead of like fire.

http://pso-world.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26&stc=1&d=1212865768

http://pso-world.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=27&stc=1&d=1212865768

It explains why Barta looks so odd too. I dont know if anyone noticed, but if you look closely at all the spells in this game, they all emit particle effects similar to their PSO counterparts. But you have to look so hard to see them it seems like they wernt ment to be seen.

But the main difference in Special FX in PSU Current vs. PSU Beta was VARIETY of WEAPON EFFECTS.

I noticed that in the video, different weapons emitted different effects when they hit an enemy. However, this does not happen in PSU Current -- Every single enemy emits the same hit sprite, and there are only 2 to differ from. Normal attack and Critical Attack.

You all know what the Current effect looks like...

http://jsonicserver.no-ip.org/files/17/PSU%20compare%202b.png
Same old stretched, ugly effect. Every attack has this sprite emitted, regardless of what type of attack it is. Sword makes the same effect as Damfoie does.

However, in this video of PSU, Things are a bit different...

http://pso-world.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28&stc=1&d=1212865977

http://pso-world.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29&stc=1&d=1212865977

http://pso-world.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30&stc=1&d=1212865977

Looks to me like different element weapons had different effects when they hit the enemy. I dunno, i think that would give all elemental weapons a bit of variety, eh?

Or, it looks like different weapons themselves had different effects. That would set almost all the S ranks appart if they all had different attacking effects instead of the same old that a C rank has.

5) Last thing you can point out is that the stage design is far different. It looks far more PSO-ish to me in some parts. The stages are far more expansive looking, and have specific features that are not present in the current game. Although this is understood, since all games do this, it seems to be that our version is....downgraded?

My theroy is that this game got the treatment that ALL great sega games get -- It was rushed. Rushed like all hell. That version of the game looks SO much more polished than ours does. The enemies animate better, there isnt any overgrown and stretched Photon Art effects and odd looking tornado effects when you get knocked down...

I dont know. Discuss. I think this is proof that SEGA was taking this game seriously, but down the line...it just fell apart.

So..

http://jsonicserver.no-ip.org/files/17/omfg1.png

Why was everything cut from this game?

http://jsonicserver.no-ip.org/files/17/omfg2.png

NegaTsukasa
Jun 7, 2008, 01:39 PM
Wow. Interesting. Ah well. I thought the storyline was more focused than the other stuff.
like the story got more attention than the extra game play wiht your character.

I think its fine just the way it is. sure it would be great to have better qualities. We all want that. but I get the general ideas the game throws at me when I do stuff on it.

Since I grown used to how it is now, I'm fine with whats on it now. Besides there is still great possibilities for improvment on phantasy star universe. We are only in the second game series out of probably 3. I still think things will improve for all versions of the final version of the game around the world once it's out. I can tell PSU AoI blew PSU out of the water with better improvments. Which means the third volume will be even better no doubt.

I just hope the next volume will match that of what we all expect around the globe. ^^ ^^

Yusaku_Kudou
Jun 7, 2008, 01:41 PM
Yeah, the game looks mad smooth there. I wish Sonic Team'd take advantage of the massive power of the 360 and put it to use to fix the frame rate and lock it at 60, smooth the game over all glossy like in the video, and throw in some normal maps/bloom. Hopefully with the next expansion... or game (which better not be on PS2 or Wii).

str898mustang
Jun 7, 2008, 01:45 PM
some people look way too far into this game.....

RemiusTA
Jun 7, 2008, 01:47 PM
The changes are obvious, mustang. You dont have to look far at all, seeing as this topic took me all of 5 minutes to type. Besides, me wanting to be a Game Designer in the near future, I notice these things at first glance.

My main point is that it looks like this game was going to deliver "what we were looking for", but down the line it just flopped completely.

And i know that it was going to deliver, because SEGA always screws up its good games by trying to force time limits on its developers.

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 did it, Sonic Adventure did it, Sonic 2006 did it. As bad as Sonic the Hedgehog ps3/360 was (Most likely the worst platformer since Superman 64), it had all the potental in the world to be a great game. Its first development videos and concepts showed that it was going in the right direction, and even its first Tech demo had it looking good. However, the game was released as a jumbled pile of steaming shit.

If you look at the Beta PSO Videos, the end result was actually IMPROVED beyond it. However, the only thing PSU seemed to have differ was downgraded level design, dropped concepts, Degraded and thrown together partical effects, and rushed Photon Art graphics. Everything good seemed to be dropped. there STILL is no vehicle use in this game at all.

The only reason im mad is because AotI didnt seem to improve on anything engine wise. It just upgraded the current game to something a bit better.

Im hoping that the next entry in the PSU series does to PSU what PSO Ep1&2 did to PSO V2. Change everything around. But at the current moment, SEGA isnt showing ANY signs of advancing the game past AoTI.

Seority
Jun 7, 2008, 01:51 PM
Yeah, I don't mind them putting it on PS3. And get some new damned monsters when they do that.

Weeaboolits
Jun 7, 2008, 01:53 PM
It was probably the fact that Sony cut support for the PS2 HDD, so they could no longer make use of downloadable content, seeing as the PS2 would have nowhere to put it, so they had to downsize things so they could cram it all on one disk and have room to add to it later on.

RemiusTA
Jun 7, 2008, 01:55 PM
I actually think the PS2 is half of what destroyed this game. It is IMPOSSIBLE to have a good MMORPG without a Harddrive, unless the game is chocked full of extras, and as we all know this game isnt.

If this game was developed for only the PC and 360, im sure the servers would be Merged (since this game runs on Windows), and they would be able to make new weapons and stuff for the events instead of pulling them from the data (like they did on PSOBB).

However, the PS2 is still a huge system in Japan, so they kept it there. Hopefully, the next entry uses the PS3/PC and 360, which allows them to basically have zero limits when it comes to developing.

So yeah Ronin, thats most likely what happened. By the time they finished the Storymode, all the battle content, and finished cramming the CGI's on the disc, they had no more space to put everything, so they cut everything out and replaced it with filler effects.

Powder Keg
Jun 7, 2008, 01:55 PM
This game has what I was looking for.

Fun.

Apone
Jun 7, 2008, 01:57 PM
I think I saw Ethan "swing" a partisan in that video. Its a shame that some of those levels are not in the game (that beach level looked real cool) I dont know. It could be that the development was focused on the PC side but then Sega decided to combine PC and PS2 together. Im thinking that maybe since the PS2 has the biggest user base maybe Sega thought that was where all the money (in japan) would come from. Who knows? Maybe someone in corporate decided to reduce funding for the project wich is why they dont have separate servers for each and apparently the PS2 version won out.

RemiusTA
Jun 7, 2008, 02:01 PM
It was the fact that the 360 is completely unpopular in Japan, and PC gaming is equally as unpopular.

Which would explain why the 360 port is such garbage. but it doesnt explain why Ps2 version is garbage. My guess would be that Sony decided not to use the Harddrive anymore since the SlimPS2's dont have the port for it, and i doubt USB Harddrives are as fast with data as the other ones.

If the PS2 was able to use the harddrive for virtual memory, i doubt the PS2 version would have technic loading problems. Slowdown sure, but not the loading issues.

Pentence
Jun 7, 2008, 02:01 PM
It was probably the fact that Sony cut support for the PS2 HDD, so they could no longer make use of downloadable content, seeing as the PS2 would have nowhere to put it, so they had to downsize things so they could cram it all on one disk and have room to add to it later on.

I turly think this is the most rational statment about what they did.I was thinking about it myself and i must agree were it not for that they would not have to donwgrade things.

Also i if they make another ver for console ill be glad to switch to ps3/360 IF they allow me to convert old characters to either platform or hell even pc version would be fine with me.

It is fair to say there is tons more potential i nthe concpetualization of PSU and they could easily make it a far more viable franchise with these small changes.

NegaTsukasa
Jun 7, 2008, 02:03 PM
Yeah, the game looks mad smooth there. I wish Sonic Team'd take advantage of the massive power of the 360 and put it to use to fix the frame rate and lock it at 60, smooth the game over all glossy like in the video, and throw in some normal maps/bloom. Hopefully with the next expansion... or game (which better not be on PS2 or Wii).

DO NOT QUOTE THIS POST! JUST READ! I'm not in the mood for battles. If you dont agree with me then move on and ignore it!

I wish for glossy and smooth graphics as well. But I'm good with what I have. I havn't taken the tiring ambition to find the flaws 24-7 instead of enjoying the game.

and you hope for PS2 not to have the next expansion market?

The third expansion has no choice but to continue on the PS2. It would piss people off if they only made it for lets say for...PS3 and left PS2 out of the picture especialy since PSU's volumes started and are on the PS2 alonge with the other consols. or even take PS2 totaly out of the picture!
It wouldn't make sense to jump a console that no one can really afford that is practicly the PS2 with a shinier coat (and yes, more data enhancement), or stop a certian consoles market in a snap. The third voulme is going to be on PS2 for marketing reasons and other stuff.
And it's definatly not going to be on the Wii. It never was, there for it wont be.
PSU will continue on its main systems it markets and started out with. And possibly bring PS3 into the picture for other marketing and "slight graphic inhancment" opportunities.
But all in all I still think Sega would be fair to players (like me) who play on the PS2 to still keep marketing the possible final expansion on the system. It's all an act of playing fair and good marketing with customers. We have overloads PS2 players out there not to make the next final expansion for the PS2 system. the more players who have access to a popular played system the more money Sega gets. Ther is not nearly as much PS3 players than PS2. Plus PS3 is not the most loved system out of others for broad reasons. And still, it would be a meltdown if Sega stopped on this system even if PS3 is not in the works.

But like I said befor. I can assure you and I even hope the next expansion WON'T be for WII.
But can assure you that Sega will always pat the PS2's back. Ever since PSO the game has been runing for the system.
And plus, It would be a shame to loose your hard earned character data all the way back from PSU if you had to jump to PS3.
Yes. The graphics probably did have to be downgraded for PS2 cus of its compatability, but still the game plays and I'm happy with it. And besides,the graphics are not nearly as major as say FF or Star Ocean, or even the new .hack//movie or games for PS2. I think its clear that it will still be for PS2.
As far as I'm concrened its at the point of no return for Sega and the PS2 for PSU. if the first two volumes are gonna be on it, then the third one is. It would be a wreck of suspense and excitment for PS2 players if it stopped.

sorry I possibly kept repeating my facts. just making it clear is all. ^^

RemiusTA
Jun 7, 2008, 02:19 PM
I doubt you would have to lose character data if they swiched to PS3.

And they did it with the Dreamcast. PS2 is a system that is about to be taken over by the PS3. Believe it or not.

The PS2 is the weakest of the three systems, and so its obvious the only reason it was put on the PS2 instead of the Xbox is that its a more popular system in japan.

However, the PS3 sales are going to start increasing by the end of this year, guarnteed. Its a pretty expensive system, but it is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO far removed from the PS2 in terms of horsepower that saying its just a "data upgrade" is too much of an understatement to be fair. Its like saying the Wii is able to match the strength of the 360.

They SHOULD switch it to PS3. That is, if they want their game to be the best it can be. They can use teh same servers with the ps3, just like PSUv1 can run with the Aoti crap. However, they can just exclude the PS2 players from the PS3 missions with exclusive content.

Its just not logical to expand this game further on the PS2. The game already surpasses the limit of the PS2, so much so that the framerate drops and the graphics start rendering garbage and glitching up.

And besides, putting it on the Ps3 would allow them to get just as big a market as they do now, if not bigger, by having a playable demo online like the 360 version (which works so well that it is able to sell the game without a single TV advertisment.) downloadable on the PS3.

And i dont have a PS3 btw, but i would gladly root for the elimination of the PS2 version so they can stop developing this game on such a downgraded scale for the PC and 360.

Kinako78
Jun 7, 2008, 02:22 PM
Well, I, for one, can't afford a PS3 right now, so I'd be sorely disappointed if the next one was on PS3.

Rayokarna
Jun 7, 2008, 02:24 PM
It was the fact that the 360 is completely unpopular in Japan, and PC gaming is equally as unpopular.

Which would explain why the 360 port is such garbage. but it doesnt explain why Ps2 version is garbage. My guess would be that Sony decided not to use the Harddrive anymore since the SlimPS2's dont have the port for it, and i doubt USB Harddrives are as fast with data as the other ones.

If the PS2 was able to use the harddrive for virtual memory, i doubt the PS2 version would have technic loading problems. Slowdown sure, but not the loading issues.

Why does everybody think that the PS2 could not use and external memoory drive other than its HDD. The PS2 can read things off a external USB memory device because the people who made Gran Turismo made it so you can save pictures on it. Hell even SEGA did something like that with Outrun 2 with the PS2-PSP link up. In the end ST was just lazy to find away around it.

Realmz
Jun 7, 2008, 02:27 PM

ahaha it's funny cause consoles are dying in japan and the US is the biggest buyer of game consoles.

i don't really care about most of the stuff shown there, my PC runs PSU like butter already, and i'm not sure what you're trying to show in the last two screens anyway

RemiusTA
Jun 7, 2008, 02:30 PM
i'm not sure what you're trying to show in the last two screens anyway

The selection of different faces, eyes, colors, ect in the video all topped out at 20 choices, while the ones in the current version stop at 6, 14, 12, ect ect.

It could be just for cosmetic purposes, but the main point of this thread is all the crap that was cut from the game, so its completely plausable.

And reading information and utulizing information for gameplay is completely different, which is why you cant use a USB drive with 3 gigs on it as RAM for your computer.

NegaTsukasa
Jun 7, 2008, 02:31 PM
I doubt you would have to lose character data if they swiched to PS3.

And they did it with the Dreamcast. PS2 is a system that is about to be taken over by the PS3. Believe it or not.

The PS2 is the weakest of the three systems, and so its obvious the only reason it was put on the PS2 instead of the Xbox is that its a more popular system in japan.

However, the PS3 sales are going to start increasing by the end of this year, guarnteed. Its a pretty expensive system, but it is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO far removed from the PS2 in terms of horsepower that saying its just a "data upgrade" is too much of an understatement to be fair. Its like saying the Wii is able to match the strength of the 360.

They SHOULD switch it to PS3. That is, if they want their game to be the best it can be. They can use teh same servers with the ps3, just like PSUv1 can run with the Aoti crap. However, they can just exclude the PS2 players from the PS3 missions with exclusive content.

Its just not logical to expand this game further on the PS2. The game already surpasses the limit of the PS2, so much so that the framerate drops and the graphics start rendering garbage and glitching up.

And besides, putting it on the Ps3 would allow them to get just as big a market as they do now, if not bigger, by having a playable demo online like the 360 version (which works so well that it is able to sell the game without a single TV advertisment.) downloadable on the PS3.

And i dont have a PS3 btw, but i would gladly root for the elimination of the PS2 version so they can stop developing this game on such a downgraded scale for the PC and 360.

I'm pretty sure the PS3 can take old memory cards from its past bretheren. So I don't sweat on that.
I'm just saying as a comparison other games I've played and seen, I would think the next PSU expansion would be the limit and that is it. if ther is a fourth after the third, all glory to PS3.

If third happens to be for PS3 I would be very dissapointed, and also having to pay 500 dollars for A SYSTEM thats not worth that much internaly just to play the last volume and then that is it, if this is the last volume.

All we can do is wait and see what happens.

NegaTsukasa
Jun 7, 2008, 02:32 PM
Well, I, for one, can't afford a PS3 right now, so I'd be sorely disappointed if the next one was on PS3.

(Nods in agreement)

RemiusTA
Jun 7, 2008, 02:34 PM
Well, to be fair, i was sorely dissapointed when this game was announced for PS2 instead of Gamecube. >_>;

Rayokarna
Jun 7, 2008, 02:35 PM
Well, to be fair, i was sorely dissapointed when this game was announced for PS2 instead of Gamecube. >_>;

Lol, your kidding right...

...Seriously, after everything you just said?

Realmz
Jun 7, 2008, 02:35 PM
I just blame Consoles for not being able to be as powerful as my comp when i get a cross platform game that isn't awesome.

NegaTsukasa
Jun 7, 2008, 02:41 PM
I actually think the PS2 is half of what destroyed this game. It is IMPOSSIBLE to have a good MMORPG without a Harddrive, unless the game is chocked full of extras, and as we all know this game isnt.

If this game was developed for only the PC and 360, im sure the servers would be Merged (since this game runs on Windows), and they would be able to make new weapons and stuff for the events instead of pulling them from the data (like they did on PSOBB).

However, the PS2 is still a huge system in Japan, so they kept it there. Hopefully, the next entry uses the PS3/PC and 360, which allows them to basically have zero limits when it comes to developing.

So yeah Ronin, thats most likely what happened. By the time they finished the Storymode, all the battle content, and finished cramming the CGI's on the disc, they had no more space to put everything, so they cut everything out and replaced it with filler effects.

Perhaps if there was no story mode and it was just like PSO with out cinemas and stuff, there would be much more room for data and upgrades.
I thought from the begining when I first got PSU, Oh lord this is unnessesary to have a high smooth graphicly enhanced story, something is going to go down in this game. The story looked like it cost alote of room for data.

Who knows, If there isn't going to be an expansion and they will just keep adding onto this new version then that'll be fine, but how farthur would it go?
Maybe Sega will continue the story sequal for online only on AoI

Iduno
Jun 7, 2008, 02:44 PM
I want to play that beach level as well lol (looked a bit like somewhere on PSO ep2 but I forget where

Also if leaving behind the ps2 would mean a better quality game then im all for it

Technology moves on, you just have to suck it up and upgrade. Do you still see people demanding new games be released on the N64 or Playstation? Im sure plenty of us still have our SNESs and Megadrives but we dont expect new games for them

(also remember the 360 does exist you know and is cheaper than a PS3)

Rayokarna
Jun 7, 2008, 02:46 PM
(also remember the 360 does exist you know and is cheaper than a PS3)

Sometimes it's not about the console your playing on, it's about the community they play with...

...They just don't want to leave their friends.

Iduno
Jun 7, 2008, 02:50 PM
Sometimes it's not about the console your playing on, it's about the community they play with...

...They just don't want to leave their friends.

in that case they can move to the pc

Quality shouldn't be sacrificed to keep a minority clinging to a last gen system happy (and if they proper friends they will have instant messaging and email adresses)

Kinako78
Jun 7, 2008, 02:52 PM
Who said I wanted to cling to the PS2? If I can't afford a PS3, odds are good I can't afford a PC that would run the game, either.

Dragwind
Jun 7, 2008, 02:53 PM
Wow, well that was pretty interesting. Weapon usage did look more smooth and controlled, and it seems like the the actual shape of the sword was determining the targets you hit when you swung it.

Rayokarna
Jun 7, 2008, 02:53 PM
in that case they can move to the pc

Quality shouldn't be sacrificed to keep a minority clinging to a last gen system happy (and if they proper friends they will have instant messaging and email adresses)

Then it goes back to the original point of people not bein gable to afford it.

A good PC to run PSU properly aint cheap. Im dead luck my Laptop can run it with such shit specs.

Iduno
Jun 7, 2008, 03:00 PM
Then it goes back to the original point of people not bein gable to afford it.

A good PC to run PSU properly aint cheap. Im dead luck my Laptop can run it with such shit specs.

So what?

Im damn sure some people are still stuck with gamecubes or even origional Playstations and N64s do you want to see games being held back to that level because they cant afford to upgrade?

Games are meant to be next gen now not last gen because a few people won't upgrade

Also do you see new X-box and Gamecube games coming out now?

Ps2 users should just be thankfull the've still been suported this far

Kinako78
Jun 7, 2008, 03:03 PM
CAN'T upgrade! Pay attention!

Anyway, I agree that PSU will stay on PS2 just because that's where it started. When a new Phantasy Star series is made, then it'll go to the next-gen consoles.

MrPOW
Jun 7, 2008, 03:06 PM
Yeah, so...how do any of those things you mentioned damn the game? Different weapon animations? Different effects? Are you serious? And I have no idea how you came to your assumption about the level design from random 2-3 second gameplay clips.

That video was not how PSU was "supposed" to be...it was an early and incomplete version of the game. Games in development are constantly changing up and until the day they go gold. Those animations are probably placeholders and the effects likely weren't finished yet. And of course it is running silky smooth...it's a promo video, and I'm sure it's running on an awesome PC.

Plenty of people seem to dislike this game (I am not among them) and that's fine...most of them have reasons and I can understand, even if I don't agree with them. But I really don't think the things you mentioned in your original post even carry that much wieght in the final scheme of things.

I just wish the game had better bosses, and more of them :(

Iduno
Jun 7, 2008, 03:13 PM

Anyway, I agree that PSU will stay on PS2 just because that's where it started. When a new Phantasy Star series is made, then it'll go to the next-gen consoles.

Then get a job, the summer holidays are comming and if you just put in a few weeks work (even at minimum wage) problem solved and a bit extra

Also tradeing in/selling old games and the PS2 itself also helps raise funds

Kinako78
Jun 7, 2008, 03:15 PM
I'm not discussing this anymore. You know nothing about me and it won't do any good to explain.

Ken_Silver
Jun 7, 2008, 03:17 PM
The PS2 issue is a tough one. If they could make the net expansion for the PS3, that'd be good. But that might also mess up people who are on PC with lower specs.

The good news is that an upgrade via an expansion to the PS3 would not cost us to loose our characters. And while I'd LOVE for this game to be on the Wii and I believe that the Wii could handle the current graphics (I'm a Wii fan and I love it) the lack of a hard drive for the system wouldn't help the issue at hand in any way. Thankfully the Wii has a lot more issues that prevent this game from comming to it. (Nintendo's Online issues & Friend Codes, the "graphics" issue and how textures might make it up, etc.)

No one can argue otherwise that the addition of using a hard drive would not help, but the issue is whether Sonic Team wants to move on up. Remember, the PS3 is not that popular (even though it is doing better) and that's why the PS2 hasn't died. And that the most populated and most profitable server is the JPN PS2/PS server. SEGA doesn't want to upset them by forcing them to upgrade to the PS3.

Some more food for thought.

Iduno
Jun 7, 2008, 03:17 PM
And yet you think progress should be held back for you (PS2 users outside japan are a minority now for PSU how long is it even going to be profitable for sega to release expansion disks for them anyway)

to the poster above the above poster

RemiusTA
Jun 7, 2008, 03:19 PM
Yeah, so...how do any of those things you mentioned damn the game? Different weapon animations? Different effects? Are you serious? And I have no idea how you came to your assumption about the level design from random 2-3 second gameplay clips.

Because Weapon animations and special effects are really all this game is. A Spear is just a sword with a different animation, stats and collision bubbles. S ranks are cool because they look different than C ranks, and the coolest S ranks are ones with special effects on them.

so it make a grand difference.

That video was not how PSU was "supposed" to be...it was an early and incomplete version of the game. Games in development are constantly changing up and until the day they go gold. Those animations are probably placeholders and the effects likely weren't finished yet. And of course it is running silky smooth...it's a promo video, and I'm sure it's running on an awesome PC.

Early and Incomplete, yes, but obviously very much in a playable and stable position. It has clips of online gameplay (yeah the characters jump around and lag far more than they do now, but like you said, the game is incomplete). There is no reason for them to change something that looks/functions better than something now. While the sword animation was a minor thing, the concept was developed enough to the point that the one we used now was in the game already.

Plenty of people seem to dislike this game (I am not among them) and that's fine...most of them have reasons and I can understand, even if I don't agree with them. But I really don't think the things you mentioned in your original post even carry that much weight in the final scheme of things.

I never said I Dislike this game. If i disliked this game, this topic wouldn't exist because i wouldn't give a shit. And most of the reviewers of this game say the same thing ive pointed out. The effects and overall polish of this game is lacking, when in this video of early development, things seem to look better than they do now.

I just find this sort of thing interesting. If anything, when Sonic Team goes back to asking what we want in the newest entry in the series, if people like what they see here, we can ask for a change.

I didnt do this to BASH the game, i did this just to show what changed from development to release, and to maybe give answers to alot of the questions people have on what is lacking in this game.

Edit:

The PS2 issue is a tough one. If they could make the net expansion for the PS3, that'd be good. But that might also mess up people who are on PC with lower specs.

PS2 is sony and PS3 is sony, so for the PS2/PC users, it would just be another platform. It would have no effect on the PC users, since the only thing the PS2/PC players need between them to function is the same server technology.

The only thing the PS3 would do is provide a Harddrive. If they discontinued the PS2 version, or simply kept the expansion exclusive to PC/PS3/360 users, then they would have successfully moved up by having almost limitless resources when it comes to developing for the game, since every platform of said new expansion would have amazing graphical horsepower and a Harddrive for content download support. Since the PC can run off lower graphical settings at the will of the user, it would be no more of a problem than it is now -- they can simply turn the newer features off.

This would simply make PS2 users to what PSU Vanilla users are today -- able to play, but not able to use the new content or stages.

I personally believe the Wii is too weak of a system to really be called "Next Gen". Im a huge nintendo fan myself (Brawl is the best game ever), but its Friend code system, lack of harddrive support and lacking of keeping up with current graphical standards makes the wii a poor system for MMORPGs peroid.

NegaTsukasa
Jun 7, 2008, 03:23 PM

I'm with you on that as well. I will support PSO/U no matter where it goes though. Even if it's for the PS3 next I will just start saving up I guess one way or another until affordable.

All I recently said on this thread were my thoughts on this whole thing. I'm leaving now.
No more I have to say about this. I'm happy with how things are on PSU. Long live the game!
XD

Ami~
Jun 7, 2008, 03:27 PM
And yet you think progress should be held back for you (PS2 users outside japan are a minority now for PSU how long is it even going to be profitable for sega to release expansion disks for them anyway)

I do not think she is saying that AT ALL. she is using herself as merely an example. some people simply just cannot afford to buy a new console/would rather put their money elsewhere. That is what she is saying I believe. and i am totally feeling her on that. though I play on PC, I can understand people's reasonings for not wanting to upgrade.

RemiusTA
Jun 7, 2008, 03:32 PM
Idunno, everyone doesnt have your priorities or status, and its ignorant to believe so.

If she doesn't want to spend $500 / $600 on a Video Game machine or has more serious applications for her money, then she wont be getting a PS3.

Ken_Silver
Jun 7, 2008, 03:35 PM
The price of the PS3 is a major issue for a lot of people.

It's expensive and may not be worth it for everyone.

The U.S. economy is in a slump/recession.

Other things may have priority: i.e. School, Work, Bills, etc.

I'm struggling to get an Xbox 360.

Iduno
Jun 7, 2008, 03:37 PM
I do not think she is saying that AT ALL. she is using herself as merely an example. some people simply just cannot afford to buy a new console/would rather put their money elsewhere. That is what she is saying I believe. and i am totally feeling her on that. though I play on PC, I can understand people's reasonings for not wanting to upgrade.

but at the same time I think if you can afford, a console games,a computer, broadband and a monthly subscription fee you can probably upgrade if you get a job or simply wait for prices to drop and trade the old console and games in.

I understand upgrading can be annoying but the PS2 has been out for at least 4 years now (or 6 im not sure) and its had a decent run of it but things move on and people just have to move with it or stay and play their old games

(I'm pretty sure games don't self destruct when expansions come out on another console :P)

RemiusTA
Jun 7, 2008, 03:39 PM
Isnt the PS3 $400 now?

Im not entirely sure (since i wasnt actually born yet), but when the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) was released, it released at $300.

Regardless, everybody doesnt fucking have $400 to drop on a VIDEO GAME SYSTEM.

That isnt hard to understand, is it? Seriously?

Iduno
Jun 7, 2008, 03:44 PM
Idunno, everyone doesnt have your priorities or status, and its ignorant to believe so.

If she doesn't want to spend $500 / $600 on a Video Game machine or has more serious applications for her money, then she wont be getting a PS3.

Not upgrading is fine but expecting the rest of the world to stick to last gen quality because she wont?

Its like me saying I haven't upgraded to blue ray so only DVDs should be released

Now whos the ignorant one

And jesus why is everone so dam thick here, you don't HAVE to upgrade but don't cry about being left behind when you are

Apone
Jun 7, 2008, 03:46 PM
actually I think it was in the 180 - 200 dollar area (for the NES) Wich was a hefty chunk of change back then.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 7, 2008, 03:48 PM

Sorry, but I gotta post. It's like talking to a brick wall.

First off, do you not understand, that these people do not have sufficient funds to pay for what is essentially a neutered laptop? There is almost no reason for a rational person to dish out a near grand total of $700 FOR ONE GAME. That could be used for rent, electricity bills, morgatage(sp ._.), food, and more important things than a blasted system. I'm still stuck in the stone age with my gamecube(lol), because I don't have any spare money to put forth for any kind of system. There's plenty of things I coul use $200-$400 dollars on, for one, my method of transportation, or getting stuff so I can clean my pool.

I also have to wonder how long you've been playing video games, to make statements such as these:

So what?

Im damn sure some people are still stuck with gamecubes or even origional Playstations and N64s do you want to see games being held back to that level because they cant afford to upgrade?

Games are meant to be next gen now not last gen because a few people won't upgrade

Also do you see new X-box and Gamecube games coming out now?

Ps2 users should just be thankfull the've still been suported this far
It's true that we're in the "next gen" of gaming, but not everyone can OR WANTS to afford buying these expensive gaming systems. It's not "a few people", I'm sure there's thousands of people, maybe even hundreds of thousands, that don't have these systems, because they lack the sufficient funds to buy upgrades, not always because they "refuse" to upgrade, but even some of them are too busy enjoying the old systems they still have. There's also no reason to buy the system, if your only gonna have one or two games that you'll actually play.

Of course, reading the above statements you've made, you're either rich, or a spoiled brat who gets everything on a silver platter. I'll tell you right now, one of the reasons that parents don't always get kids what they want, is because A)They can't afford it, or B)It doesn't benefit them. If they're dishing out $600 bucks for a damn PS3, you KNOW they're gonna want something back, for all of that money that could have been used for bills. Or even for their own benefit.

*whew* Rant mode off.
Back on topic:

If and when the do the next installment of PSU, I would not doubt if they released it on PS2 AND PS3.It's true that PSU will never, I mean never, be released for the Wii, not until they fix their wretched online problems(friend codes anyone?). But like it's been said, early development games, and the vids they show, rarely do they keep in the finalized game what's shown to the public. Sure, it does happen, but there's a lot of the time where certain things are scapped(eg. sword animation). The swords are humongor. There' no way someone would "believably"(remember, our next gen as of now, is going for realism. >_>) swing that thing that controlled. What we have now, is a swinging that is using the sword's weight to the users advantage.

Okay, I'm done. :)

SonicTMP
Jun 7, 2008, 03:52 PM
Consoles just can't handle the mmorpg games without a hardrive. Removing HDD support for the ps2 was just plain stupid. Though i don't think it be that hard to put a small patch up that could fit ont he mem card to set the frame skip problems.

And condicering the problems on xbox and PC it baffles me why those can't be patch when both system would have more than enough space for it.

As much as I love my ps2 and still have some backlog games on it. PSU is gonna die unless they force it over on the ps3 where the HDD can be used. Granted it sucks for those who can't afford a ps3 or don't wish to upgrade. But stunting the game seems rather stupid also.

A really bad situation either way sadly.

Kylie
Jun 7, 2008, 03:52 PM
Well, all trailers are meant to make the game they represent look cool, for one, so I'm not sure how much this shows how the game was intended to be. I think the other "pre" trailer for PSU is much more interesting (here (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143218)).

nooblet
Jun 7, 2008, 03:53 PM
do you all think having 2 seprate discs for online and offline would be better?

Iduno
Jun 7, 2008, 03:56 PM
Sorry, but I gotta post. It's like talking to a brick wall.

First off, do you not understand, that these people do not have sufficient funds to pay for what is essentially a neutered laptop? There is almost no reason for a rational person to dish out a near grand total of $700 FOR ONE GAME. That could be used for rent, electricity bills, morgatage(sp ._.), food, and more important things than a blasted system. I'm still stuck in the stone age with my gamecube(lol), because I don't have any spare money to put forth for any kind of system. There's plenty of things I coul use $200-$400 dollars on, for one, my method of transportation, or getting stuff so I can clean my pool.

I also have to wonder how long you've been playing video games, to make statements such as these:

It's true that we're in the "next gen" of gaming, but not everyone can OR WANTS to afford buying these expensive gaming systems. It's not "a few people", I'm sure there's thousands of people, maybe even hundreds of thousands, that don't have these systems, because they lack the sufficient funds to buy upgrades, not always because they "refuse" to upgrade, but even some of them are too busy enjoying the old systems they still have. There's also no reason to buy the system, if your only gonna have one or two games that you'll actually play.

Of course, reading the above statements you've made, you're either rich, or a spoiled brat who gets everything on a silver platter. I'll tell you right now, one of the reasons that parents don't always get kids what they want, is because A)They can't afford it, or B)It doesn't benefit them. If they're dishing out $600 bucks for a damn PS3, you KNOW they're gonna want something back, for all of that money that could have been used for bills. Or even for their own benefit.

*whew* Rant mode off.
Back on topic:

If and when the do the next installment of PSU, I would not doubt if they released it on PS2 AND PS3.It's true that PSU will never, I mean never, be released for the Wii, not until they fix their wretched online problems(friend codes anyone?). But like it's been said, early development games, and the vids they show, rarely do they keep in the finalized game what's shown to the public. Sure, it does happen, but there's a lot of the time where certain things are scapped(eg. sword animation). The swords are humongor. There' no way someone would "believably"(remember, our next gen as of now, is going for realism. >_>) swing that thing that controlled. What we have now, is a swinging that is using the sword's weight to the users advantage.

Okay, I'm done. :)

Actualy I got a thing called a job wand worked to pay for my 360, so if it was handed to me on a silver platter I was the one who did it.

Also IF YOU DONT HAVE THE MONEY FOR THE SYSTEM DONT BUY IT AND DO WITHOUT IT

I quite like the looks of a few upcoming PS3 games but do you see me demanding they be ported or whining that they should be made for a last gen console instead? No

What do I do?

GO PLAY ONE OF THE GAMES I ALREADY OWN AND BE SATISFIED WITH WHAT I HAVE

(at least sonicTMP understands here progress happens its how life works)

IM NOT DEMANDING EVERYONE UPGRADE IM JUST SAYING A NEXT GEN GAME DOESNT NEED HOLDING BACK BY A LAST GEN CONSOLE AND THE NEXT EXPANSION/GAME IN THE SERIES SHOULD FORGO A PS2 RELEASE FOR THE SAKE OF QUALITY

Also I do understand those who cant upgrade, I only had a second hand megadrive right up until the dreamcast launched I think then I got a PS1 and I was happy with it and couldn't care less what got released on the Dreamcast and PS2 because I knew we couldn't afford one so there was no point worring about it. I only started keeping up with releases when I learnt to save money (having to start months ahead most times) and when I was able to work so excuse me if im lacking in sympathy for those who can't deal with the fact that to play newer games you will also need newer consoles

(hell I'm still using a DS phat now since I view the light as a waste of money)

Kylie
Jun 7, 2008, 04:02 PM
Also, on the subject of PS2 players, um, I actually prefer console to PC gaming, and I'm fine having cons along with its pros. However, I do have a PS3 and would be absolutely comfortable if they decided to cut off PS2 support. But whether or not they will depends on the market, and I believe PS2 is the numero uno platform JP PSU players play the game on. Therefore, I don't think they'll cut it off unless those people buy a PS3, which I'm sure they will in time when it's more affordable, and more games are available.

Iduno
Jun 7, 2008, 04:13 PM
I would also like to add im only for expansions/new games not being on the PS2 and I think the servers should stay up the full 5 years at least (although the loss of a few universes would be acceptable seeing as they will never all be anywhere near full)

EMPYREAN
Jun 7, 2008, 04:49 PM
hmmm, looking at this video i see no differences between that and what we have today exept the different mele PAs.

Manticore
Jun 7, 2008, 04:59 PM
Am i the only one who thinks the pso beta looked more promising that the current pso? ;_;

Iduno
Jun 7, 2008, 05:06 PM
Am i the only one who thinks the pso beta looked more promising that the current pso? ;_;

that could have been because it was all fresh then and we were expecting big things, but then the game moved on and it didn't quite work out

(remember when the de ragen got fixed so we could do it and it just seemed more fun then now but not sure if thats the result of the novelty wearing off or no-longer having to fear the tail swipe (my number 1 cause of death back then as a newman force)

Yusaku_Kudou
Jun 7, 2008, 05:49 PM
Well, my post was taken completely out of context. I meant to say I wanted the next game in the series to be on the newer consoles only, not the next expansion. I meant improvements for PC/360 if it be an expansion, and in the next game to ditch old tech consoles.

Iduno
Jun 7, 2008, 05:56 PM
Well, my post was taken completely out of context. I meant to say I wanted the next game in the series to be on the newer consoles only, not the next expansion. I meant improvements for PC/360 if it be an expansion, and in the next game to ditch old tech consoles.

? You just said not the expansion and then improvements if it is an expansion

If you view is the later dont worry you weren't the one taken out of context and flame grilled for it :P

(im now meant to be some kind of faschist dictator demanding eveyone upgrades their consoles or else for that lol)

Rambo!
Jun 7, 2008, 05:59 PM

I agree totally this game should never have been on the ps2 (no offense to all you people that play on ps2) but the system simply does not have the power to run this game but like was said it is still a massive market share in japan and Sega exploited it. I just don't think Sega of America trys as hard as they did. Most of the most legendary slip up and roll back happened during Aio not Psu vanilla.

The other thing that destroyed this game was the hacking in the beginning of the game about 4 or 5 months in. About 1/2 to 3/4 of the population quit during that time. If you want to blame someone else for destroying the community and the game besides Sega (who does deserve some of it)blame the people who hack this game and exploit it for there gain alone.

Yusaku_Kudou
Jun 7, 2008, 06:04 PM
Yeah, oh well, it happens. I could have been a bit more clear.

Ohhh, yeah... and somebody said in Japan PC gaming is unpopular. :lol: It's mostly casual like everywhere else, but FPS games do sell in that market on PC among other games. Also, there isn't anywhere else you can find the number of hentai and date simulator games available.

Darkly
Jun 7, 2008, 06:13 PM
wow so basically psu could have been a game with, well flare. I mean it looked like so much less generic than psu now does, the animations were way cooler, the level design, especially the forest area looked far more interesting.

what a shame, an still people are here defending this awful game.

Kinako78
Jun 7, 2008, 06:19 PM
IM NOT DEMANDING EVERYONE UPGRADE IM JUST SAYING A NEXT GEN GAME DOESNT NEED HOLDING BACK BY A LAST GEN CONSOLE AND THE NEXT EXPANSION/GAME IN THE SERIES SHOULD FORGO A PS2 RELEASE FOR THE SAKE OF QUALITY

You may not be, but the companies that release the next-gen consoles sure are.

And if I did have the money, I'd rather get a new PC then a PS3. As was said, I don't want to shell out $400 just for one game. I've seen very few PS3 games I'm interested in, where I already have games that I could transfer to a new PC that could benefit from running on it, as well as some new ones that I'd like to own.

Iduno
Jun 7, 2008, 06:22 PM
wow so basically psu could have been a game with, well flare. I mean it looked like so much less generic than psu now does, the animations were way cooler, the level design, especially the forest area looked far more interesting.

what a shame, an still people are here defending this awful game.

I wouldn't go so far as to say its aweful (I've played the Yaris game) but it's definately a missed oportunity and could, no should have been so much more

(considering switching to age of conan when it comes to the x-box if the fees are similar unless sega pulls their finger out and releases something amazing)

O and to the above poster

In that case your problem is just with the games industry itself but until they really start clamping down on the market changing most titles to digital distribution they can't really demand that much as long as you don't get wrapped up in the hype of new games theres nothing stopping you just ignoring them and checking the game stores for older games you would like at cheaper prices or, for the newer ones waiting a bit for price cuts, second hand games or if you really HAVE to have a game shopping around 1st for the best deal

(I would say around 3 quarters my games collection is 2nd hand because thats how you find the best deals)

Shiro_Ryuu
Jun 7, 2008, 06:26 PM
I agree about the trails in Skill PAs, they'd look a whole lot better if they weren't there.

BFGfreak
Jun 7, 2008, 06:35 PM
IMO, the only reason that PSU is big on xbox is because it is the only MMO that uses LIVE (final fantasy doesn't use live features, so it doesn't count) Had there been another MMO on live at the time of release, the population would never be as big as it is now. As it is, there is another MMO on it's way, so SEGA better start shapping up fast, or they will lose a quarter of their population fast once AoC is released.

Ryna
Jun 7, 2008, 06:36 PM
If the game were to follow some of the first trailers, you'd also see the following:

-Ethan wielding an axe in offline mode
-Ethan using a Double Saber at level 3 in Linear Line
-Ethan, Hyuga, and Karen facing a pure-green version of De Ragnus on Raffon Meadow.
-Offline Floader races on Moatoob.
-Several additional clothing choices in the base-version of the game.
-A cooperative version of the Striker in online play

Shinko
Jun 7, 2008, 06:43 PM
ok i'll been reading a lot of what ppl are saying and basely it's been a big debate about if ps2 is the downfall to psu.

well let me just put my 2 cent in. i myself play on ps2 and pc..... it runs badly on ps2 and i have a bad pc so it runs just as bad but i can't effort a 360 or ps3 at the time.

but anyways i agree with the ppl who say the the next 1 should only be for pc ps3 and 360. even though i play on ps2 i still agree with this. the ppl on ps2 should just be able to switch the characters over to ps3. not say the ps2 ppl can't still play they should be able to just not the new 1 until they upgrade to ps3. yes alot of ppl can't effort it. (i'm 1 of them) but psu shouldn't stop from upgrading there selves to the max because ppl can't effort the new systems or a new pc. we just would have to play limited until we can effort it or just quit...

but this is just what i think. plz no yelling saying i'm wrong and being rude about it.

Kinako78
Jun 7, 2008, 06:48 PM
Yeah, you're right. The current expansion probably has at least six more months of life in it before a new one comes out and updates for the current one stops.

And, who knows, maybe I'll be able to get my new PC sooner then I think. (Yeah, right...)

Abashi76
Jun 7, 2008, 06:50 PM
Another PSU? Couldn't they keep updating the current one? If they're going to release a new game, there better be something huge like new races, and new like, everything!

Have any idea that this is even going to happen? Just wondering.

Elley
Jun 7, 2008, 07:46 PM
The PS2 is garbage. It's the main thing holding this game back from looking better, running better, having a larger variety of monsters, more open worlds, etc...

If PSU would have been developed solely for current gen consoles and PC it would have been SOOOOO much better. I love the game now, but it's a shame to think of what it could have been without the PS2 infecting it.

I'm eagerly awaiting an announcement for the next installment of the Phantasy Star franchise as I'm sure it will rule out the PS2 this time for good. Maybe we can finally see some major progression for the series.

Realmz
Jun 7, 2008, 07:56 PM
Another PSU? Couldn't they keep updating the current one? If they're going to release a new game, there better be something huge like new races, and new like, everything!

Have any idea that this is even going to happen? Just wondering.

see heres the thing, they can't actually add more content, like weapons and what not, because everything you see is in the original install file/disc

they're operating under the assumption that you don't have a harddrive, so that this way they can get the maximum amount of players

Kylie
Jun 7, 2008, 08:04 PM
I wonder too what things could have been, but it does make sense that SEGA included the PS2. It would have been financial suicide if they hadn't since the PS2 was so big in Japan. It still is, but now I think a move to next-gen and PC only would be appropriate with very hot titles making way.

SonicTMP
Jun 7, 2008, 08:55 PM
Since we're musing a bit. Would it even be possible for them to put out another expansion? Aoti contains everything psu had. I'd assume the disc is full if not near.

Of course, when i think abuot it a bit. That means ps2 is eithe rgogin to need to disc swap (that possible for this type of game?) or they put the next xpac out on ps3. Which could work but those who don't upgrade would face the version limiter roadblock liek psov1/v2 had. Or what we have with aoti now.

Ryudo
Jun 7, 2008, 09:55 PM
PROTIP: This game was designed for PS2, not 360 and not PC, PS2 isnt holding the game back, it's holding it up, if they didnt make a PS2 version, they wouldnt have bothered making PSU at all

Arika
Jun 7, 2008, 10:09 PM
for Photon Arts have no trail effects, I prefer trail effect.
for the weapon variety effect?, actually I only see the different on the double saber cut only. Which made me think that they didnt try to do he different, but the vid were cut from different time of trial test. Can you see when Ethan hitting the Svaltus? I will say it look smooth but too slow motion. basically, the new one look faster => better.

on the video, if you see it, you said the area look better? but,. well, they use that area for nearly every mission.... lol, Deragan, Deranus ,Vanda, vahra were all in plain area. I m so glad the real version have only mad creature and plain overlord using that area. Also, the area on beta lack a lot of many minor thing. It only look wider and clear like FFXI style and not many tree, many rock and etc. I like the full one that they work a lot more on each minor part of the area more than that old one.

For the most of the stuff, you just image it from vid. if you really played that version, those lacking stuff on the wide area might make you bored the game faster.

This is just the same as what everybody like to say WOW WOW WOW, when they see the preview vid, but they just getting bored soon after it actually released.
now you might see that happens every game, including with the PSU vaniila version, AOI version, PSP version.
To make comparison of other game, people are so much waiting for Metal gear solid 4 , and Resident Evil 5 now. However, you will see that no matter how good are these 2 game, they couldn't avoid to getting people complain after they actually playing it ,and they will say that they hope much more when they saw the preview.

Rambo!
Jun 7, 2008, 10:35 PM
For my full opinion on the issues of the ps2

It should be dropped. The ps2 is no where near strong enough to run this game and is holding the other 2 platforms back. The developers hands are tied with the game till they can add downloads to the patches instead of just unlock commands to add in content already on the disc. For those of you who can't afford a ps3 most computers I have ever tried to run Psu on worked well. The worst was a p4 2.4ghz no ht with a 512mb of ram and a geforce 5200. If you don't know much about computer let me sum that up for you. Most computer made in the last 3 years can match that and would be able to run psu as effective or more effectively. I could build a pc to run this game for about 500 to 600 dollars you don't need a 2 grand pc to play this game.

It is called progress and either you keep up with technology or you get left behind. I understand that can not afford to keep up with technology and I feel bad for you but sometimes you fall behind and don't force us to sacrifice our own playing experience because you can't keep up with the hardware. I believe this game could still be truly amazing that if the developers would finally not have there hands tied and be able to go all out like they did before

PALRAPPYS
Jun 7, 2008, 10:40 PM
Something I consider.

What if they stop PSU at Lv200. And start working on another Phantasy Star game with no offline mode. Tons of new content, different game, etc.

However, you can transfer over your characters from PSU to the new phantasy star? But just the character visuals. And maybe up to lv20 like PSU for PSP.

Finalzone
Jun 7, 2008, 10:43 PM
The price of the PS3 is a major issue for a lot of people.

It's expensive and may not be worth it for everyone.

The U.S. economy is in a slump/recession.

Other things may have priority: i.e. School, Work, Bills, etc.

I'm struggling to get an Xbox 360.

PS3 is more than a videogame console. Sony worked harder to pass it as a computer entertainment. You can upgrade the hard drive as well.

Lance813
Jun 7, 2008, 10:59 PM
let me put it this way..

JAPAN IS PS2 ALL THE WAY... SEGA = JAPAN (seriously put two and two together)

Sega wont drop PSU on the PS2. i could even imagine the next PS game on PS2.

This game was clearly made for the PS2 but Sega tried to make it OoOh AhHHaish and increase the amount of CRAP in the game and they made it too hard for the system it was made for to run. I love this game, and its fun. ITS DOOMED!

Im waiting for PSP! that cant fail.... Its practically PSO + new everything!

cuz PSO = Offline multiplayer!

Realmz
Jun 7, 2008, 11:12 PM
PS3 is more than a videogame console. Sony worked harder to pass it as a computer entertainment. You can upgrade the hard drive as well.

it'll be computer entertainment when i can open it up, put in a better video card and processor, add more ram, give it some better cooling fans, and an awesome heat sink.

having a (bad) blu-ray player does not make it a Computer Entertainment System

SStrikerR
Jun 7, 2008, 11:18 PM
1:56 made me laugh

Abashi76
Jun 8, 2008, 12:42 AM
let me put it this way..

JAPAN IS PS2 ALL THE WAY... SEGA = JAPAN (seriously put two and two together)

Sega wont drop PSU on the PS2. i could even imagine the next PS game on PS2.

This game was clearly made for the PS2 but Sega tried to make it OoOh AhHHaish and increase the amount of CRAP in the game and they made it too hard for the system it was made for to run. I love this game, and its fun. ITS DOOMED!

Im waiting for PSP! that cant fail.... Its practically PSO + new everything!

cuz PSO = Offline multiplayer!

Uhhh ... there is a PS3 now. :p

If they're going to release a whole other game/expansion, it should be significant enough not to be able to run on PS2. If they aren't going to make a game for PC/PS3/X360, why not just keep adding content for Illuminous?

I'm hoping if that they do release another expansion for this game, it'll be a huge upgrade, something that it really needs.

BIGGIEstyle
Jun 8, 2008, 12:55 AM
Get rid of PS2 because it's holding PC/XBOX 360 people back? I have one thing to say that contradicts that line of thinking.

Final Fantasy XI

If that game can run as well on PS2 as on the PC then so can this.

(Note: I do not play FFXI it's just a point I thought of while reading this, I apologize if my thought is made gimp by aything I do not know about content updates via PS2 in FFXI :P)

Dein
Jun 8, 2008, 01:00 AM
Get rid of PS2 because it's holding PC/XBOX 360 people back? I have one thing to say that contradicts that line of thinking.

Final Fantasy XI

If that game can run as well on PS2 as on the PC then so can this.

(Note: I do not play FFXI it's just a point I thought of while reading this, I apologize if my thought is made gimp by aything I do not know about content updates via PS2 in FFXI :P)

FFXI was only on the PS2 because they released it when the HDD came out for the system. Even still, I've seen the term "PS2 limitations" used before when even the dev team for FFXI talks about not implementing some stuff.

BIGGIEstyle
Jun 8, 2008, 01:06 AM
Eh, I tried. Then I fall back into my backup argument:

Phantasy Star as an online gaming experience started on Dreamcast.

It was popular and moved to Gamecube and Xbox.

They created PSU for PS2 and XBOX 360 and PC were a second thought. PSU was originally intended for PS2.

While I agree that PS2 limits some aspects it could easily be fixed by another expansion but I don't think that dropping it as a console or switching over to the PS3 is necessary.

I think PS3 as a console for a new game would be great to promote the Next-gen systems, but for PSU I think the PS2 is doing just fine.

Oh and if this game was being expanded to another console it'd make more sense to be expanded to Wii because guess who owns sega? :P

Zorafim
Jun 8, 2008, 01:16 AM
By the time the second expansion comes out, PSU will be about two years old. If I'm not mistaken, the PS3 was already out when PSU came out. This gives players two years to upgrade to a newer system, or buy a new computer. I don't see why we can't use the newer expansion to shift to PS3 support, while PS2 players continue to play AoI.

Manticore
Jun 8, 2008, 01:28 AM
This may sound a little dumb, but... uhm...
yaknow how like, in some lobbies, you cant go any further? well, why not have areas like that specifically for ps3/pc users?
you know, so ps2 users can still play the new expansions, but ps3 (if the new exp. is ported) and PC can have access to more places and options that ps2 couldnt handle?
I dont know if that is possible, but i am pretty sure it is. :D

Iduno
Jun 8, 2008, 02:36 AM

They created PSU for PS2 and XBOX 360 and PC were a second thought. PSU was originally intended for PS2.

While I agree that PS2 limits some aspects it could easily be fixed by another expansion but I don't think that dropping it as a console or switching over to the PS3 is necessary.

I think PS3 as a console for a new game would be great to promote the Next-gen systems, but for PSU I think the PS2 is doing just fine.

Oh and if this game was being expanded to another console it'd make more sense to be expanded to Wii because guess who owns sega? :P

A) Last time I checked, Sega owns Sega

B) The wiimote doesn't even have enough buttons to realisticly run the game

C) Think of how many runs you do at a time and how often you attack in them and imaginer swinging the remote for each one (and you still woudlnt have enough buttons)

D) Nintendo wouldn't let you communicate with anyone else without a friend code

Allso the PS2 ran all the gta games fine but does that mean GTA4 should have been made for it then just ported across to the next gen systems.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 8, 2008, 02:55 AM
it'll be computer entertainment when i can open it up, put in a better video card and processor, add more ram, give it some better cooling fans, and an awesome heat sink.

This made me smile.
Neutered laptop dude. :)

SonicTMP
Jun 8, 2008, 03:32 AM

If it can be fixed by another expansion. We don't know currently what it means space wise. Right now Aoti contains everything the PSU disc did. If it's busting as the seems an xpac would be impossible for the ps2. That is holding is back because the computer and xbox don't have this limitatations.

Also they couldn't even fix the gaphic slowdown witht he current expansion on ps2... im doubting they would for a new expansion if it remained. There comes a point when you have to upgrade.

If the ps2 can't handle it, and they won't force people to upgrade to the ps3 then the next step is to unlock the ps2 servers and leave them behind with what they have now.

And yeah. porting the game to the wii is a bad idea. Wii isn't a heavy rpg system like the ps2 was. It's totaly different play style than the ps3/360/PC. As anothe rperson mentioned the fact that the controller won't have enough buttons to handle and how tired your get flicking for PA activation is a defiente killer for a port idea.

It really sucks that unless they decide to leave the ps2 behind or get some wacky xpac idea that will work for memory compression. We'll have to wait for pso/u part 3. And seeing how low the population is for it and the power of other mmorpgs out there. I highly doubt we'd see a new sequal.

BahnKnakyu
Jun 8, 2008, 04:26 AM
Well it depends entirely upon Sega of Japan's population, that determines whether or not a new sequel will be made. I remember reading somewhere that they were planning a second expansion pack, but I forgot the specifics of it.

Additionally, Sega's console division compared to its arcade division is utter crap. After the hostile Sammy takeover of Sega, Sammy pretty much forced Sega to develop for its panchinko machines and arcade games. That's probably the reason why its console development is shoddy and rushed.

Really, the success of the game outside of Japan or on X360 JP means jack shit to SoJ. They chose to develop for the PS2 because that is the popular console in Japan that *everyone* has. The PC/360 versions were afterthoughts, and as you may have noticed, the two games were ported from the PS2 version rather than rewritten from the ground up. This is part of the reason why the game has difficulty harnessing the raw processing and graphics power of PCs and X360. It's essentially having to go through a layer just to animate stuff. I know I'm being real general with this, but I spoke with a couple of CS majors/graduates and they already can tell it was shoddily made.

SoJ/ST probably didn't have the budget to build the PC/X360 versions from the ground up, and hence why they went to their second alternative - to port the thing from the PS2.

Maskim
Jun 8, 2008, 04:42 AM
Required HDD for ps2. It wouldn't solve all the problems, but it'd sure take care of the space restraints. Using some HDD space as virtual RAM might help the slowdown on ps2 as well. When I played on my ps3, before going back to xbox, I never slowed down once; not when everyone was complaining about slowdown, or in the same spots I'd experience it on my computer.
The best thing I think would be not to rerelease the game for ps3, but to release ps2 expansions the same as the 360 version. Sell a pc version. Put 360 on Marketplace for download. Put ps2 on the PSN for download.
Only have a ps2, then you'll be stuck playing AOTI, but really, the current generation of systems have been out long enough now that they're no longer expensive, and you should have one of them. Between PC, 360, and ps3(if they were to go this route), there's no reason people shouldn't be able to find a way to play.

Lance813
Jun 8, 2008, 12:34 PM
heres another plausible argument... (not my beliefs)

Why not drop the 360/PC versions to improve on the PS2 game? The PS2 isn't as shitty as people are selling it in this thread, look at FF12... That game is amazing both graphically and content wise.

If japan won't switch to PS3s then Sega will stick with the PS2 because japan gets what japan wants.

It sucks but its true.

Kinako78
Jun 8, 2008, 12:40 PM
Required HDD for ps2.

Isn't the HDD, like, incredibly hard to find now?

Stryker Diaz
Jun 8, 2008, 12:50 PM
Only thing im REALLY dissapointed in this game is probably how they used almost the same enemy sprite in every damned lvl which gets really annoying, its like oh no its another variant of a monster I killed on Parum but on Neu! In PSO every level had atleast 3 different monster sprites if I remember correctly and they were specific to that lvl, the only monster sprite they used over and over again was the booma but thats understandable since it is the base monster. Its just that in PSU they use I think 3-5 monster sprites over and over again, whats even more dissapointing is that even the bosses follow this pattern, which is just plain sad when you borrow a De Rol Le skin to make a Dark falz >>

Kinako78
Jun 8, 2008, 12:52 PM
Well, in the next expansion, I'm sure we'll have at least a new boss skin. Probably a few normal enemy skins, too.

darkante
Jun 8, 2008, 12:55 PM
Well, in the next expansion, I'm sure we'll have at least a new boss skin. Probably a few normal enemy skins, too.

Donīt get your hopes up...this is ST we are talking about..>.<

Stryker Diaz
Jun 8, 2008, 12:57 PM
Quotes: "3 new worlds to explore!"

*rephrases*

"3 new worlds to explore! but.... basically the same monsters! woo!" *makes dark falz have a vagina mouth* =-=

Kinako78
Jun 8, 2008, 12:59 PM
Donīt get your hopes up...this is ST we are talking about..>.<

Not getting my hopes up. Just basing it on what happened with AoI. (De Rol Le, Grass Assassin, maybe some more I'm not thinking of.)

Stryker Diaz
Jun 8, 2008, 01:01 PM
I want.... a...... Chaos Gunner xD and some DarkBringers

Iduno
Jun 8, 2008, 01:17 PM
heres another plausible argument... (not my beliefs)

Why not drop the 360/PC versions to improve on the PS2 game? The PS2 isn't as shitty as people are selling it in this thread, look at FF12... That game is amazing both graphically and content wise.

If japan won't switch to PS3s then Sega will stick with the PS2 because japan gets what japan wants.

It sucks but its true.

Dropping PC/360 wouldn't help bring quality up at all since they are the more powerful machines capable of so much more being held back by the limitations of the PS2

FFXI may have looked good but only compared to its own generation, now consoles are capable of so much better as long as developers let go of the past

(eg. check some of the screens for Age of Conan now that looks next gen (for an mmo) and thats because its not held back by last gen technology)

RemiusTA
Jun 8, 2008, 01:42 PM
Only thing im REALLY dissapointed in this game is probably how they used almost the same enemy sprite in every damned lvl which gets really annoying, its like oh no its another variant of a monster I killed on Parum but on Neu!

just so you know, they would be considered Models or simply "enemy types" or something. Sprites are just 2D effects or pictures. Most all of the special effects on this game are Sprites (explosions, the ice effect for Barta) because they are all simply 2D pictures.

AweOfShe
Jun 8, 2008, 01:45 PM
Sega never mentioned that there'd be so many jackasses on PSU. *teh_cry* :((((((((((

Kinako78
Jun 8, 2008, 01:47 PM
Sega never mentioned that there'd be so many jackasses on PSU. *teh_cry* :((((((((((

That's something beyond the control of ANY company that runs an online game, I'm afraid.

AweOfShe
Jun 8, 2008, 01:52 PM
( I'm aware of that, but since we're all into looking too much into what Sega does and why..... :} )

Addendum: I really hope that you people aren't the type to see FMV in gameplay trailers, then seriously believe that it was actual gameplay. :P

darkante
Jun 8, 2008, 01:57 PM
That's something beyond the control of ANY company that runs an online game, I'm afraid.

W00t rly. I t4ht it w3re g0d t3ht c0nTR0LLED all...=(

zandra117
Jun 8, 2008, 02:04 PM
Only a few things from the beta would have made pso better, the rest would be a downgrade.
Pros from PSO beta
1. Form parties in lobbies instead of joining a game, sorta like PSU parties.
2. Larger more explorable Pioneer 2.
3. Pushable objects that need 2 or more people to move out of the way.(more possibilities with puzzle quests.)
4. Automatic translation
5. Dragon entered arena by breaking through the cave wall.
6. WTF was "Guardian Star" and "The Resurrection"?

Cons from PSO Beta
1. weapons had bad combos
2. Mags floated too high
3. Walking speed was terribly slow
4. There wasnt that much of a difference between the beta and the final pso.
5. Final PSO had more content.

SonicTMP
Jun 8, 2008, 02:37 PM

Neither did blizzard, or gravity, or SoE, or funcom, or NCsoft. The online game jackass is an elusive creature that can appear anywhere at anytime. Lurking in general chat, spamming in trade, or maybe in your PARTY!!! *dramatic cord*

One day game companies may unearth the ancient method to prevent them from playing our games and posting on our forums..... one day.

Finalzone
Jun 8, 2008, 06:11 PM

Currrent Intel/AMD processors are no match against CELL (the main CPU). The videocard is nearly identical to Nvidia 7800 GTX. The XDRAM has much lower latency than current DDR2 let alone DDR3 which is required for the SPE part of the CELL processor. In fact, these features allow Playstation to be used as cluster (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/03/070319205733.htm), computer running a Linux distribution and super computer (http://www.consolewatcher.com/2006/08/building-supercomputer-using-playstation-3/)

SonicTMP
Jun 8, 2008, 06:36 PM
Currrent Intel/AMD processors are no match against CELL (the main CPU). The videocard is nearly identical to Nvidia 7800 GTX. The XDRAM has much lower latency than current DDR2 let alone DDR3 which is required for the SPE part of the CELL processor. In fact, these features allow Playstation to be used as cluster (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/03/070319205733.htm), computer running a Linux distribution and super computer (http://www.consolewatcher.com/2006/08/building-supercomputer-using-playstation-3/)

I'm running a 7900 that was top o the line 2 years ago right when PSU was released in japan. Thank you 2k upgrade to play this. :p

RemiusTA
Jun 8, 2008, 06:51 PM
Speaking of which, my Nvidia 8600 plays this game flawlessly on its highest possible settings.

Therefore, if the PS3's videocard is equal to a 7800, it might as well be equal to a 9200, since videogame systems use fractions less than a computer in terms of resources.

All you really need to play this game is a good videocard, and my dad got our 8600 for only $125. RAM really makes no difference. Get a powerful Graphics Card with good memory and this game will run like a charm.

Realmz
Jun 8, 2008, 06:57 PM
Currrent Intel/AMD processors are no match against CELL (the main CPU). The videocard is nearly identical to Nvidia 7800 GTX.

i think i'd rather have my open processing quad core which isn't slowed down by a crappy GPU.

when Sony gets a better blu-ray reader, and a faster graphics unit, and some games i care about i'll be getting a PS3 (after a few price drops)

The Cell is powerful yes, but the fact that it's in a PS3 is what brings it down.

Maskim
Jun 8, 2008, 08:56 PM
Isn't the HDD, like, incredibly hard to find now?

Any standard IDE hard drive will fit in a non slim ps2. The trick is formatting it with the correct file type that the ps2 will recognize it.

Much like the ps3 and any laptop HDD being a simple swap. The only difference being since ps3 is required hard drive, all you have to do is select 'format' from the ps3 menu, and you're up and running with your new HDD.

RemiusTA
Jun 8, 2008, 09:32 PM
i think i'd rather have my open processing quad core which isn't slowed down by a crappy GPU.

when Sony gets a better blu-ray reader, and a faster graphics unit, and some games i care about i'll be getting a PS3 (after a few price drops)

The Cell is powerful yes, but the fact that it's in a PS3 is what brings it down.

Hating the system isnt needed. There is nothing wrong with anything in the system.

Finalzone
Jun 9, 2008, 02:09 AM
Nvidia Geforce 7800 crappy? Based on what? Arcades boards based on PC have less powerful specs yet got much better 3d games i.e. Arcade Virtua Fighter 5 for example (Pentium 3 based with custom Nvidia 6800 GT board)

You have no clue how the Nvidia Geforce 7800 GTX based RSX (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSX_%27Reality_Synthesizer%27) works.

RemiusTA
Jun 9, 2008, 02:24 AM

What the hell?

therealAERO
Jun 9, 2008, 02:49 AM
I sincerely hope you aren't basing this on the One player game that was shown in the trailer as it has much smoother animations over all. Everything in the one player game is much better looking. In PSU you can still see the visual difference. Go and check if you don't believe me.

RemiusTA
Jun 9, 2008, 02:56 AM
What are you talking about?

No, there is no difference in the One player mode vs. the Online mode of PSU. The only difference is that the monsters take damage and react the second you hit them.

Thats not what we are looking at though. The animations in that video are far smoother. In our version, they sped them up for some reason. Although it may look a tad more realistic, it looks extremely choppy. Im positive the enemy animations in that video are the same as they are now, but they just sped them up. However, there are player animations in that video that do not exist anywhere in our current build. (specifically the sword animation Ethan is using and the saber attacking animation, although that might be a photon art in the video)

one player mode and online mode have absolutely no difference in animation quality, since they are all done clientside.

Maskim
Jun 9, 2008, 03:45 AM
I sincerely hope you aren't basing this on the One player game that was shown in the trailer as it has much smoother animations over all. Everything in the one player game is much better looking. In PSU you can still see the visual difference. Go and check if you don't believe me.

What are you talking about?

I'm going to go out on a limb, and wager a guess that they are referring to the trailer of 'Pre-PSU'; referring to it as a one player game, since at the time it was meant to have no online and be a 1 player, story mode only, game.

Rayokarna
Jun 9, 2008, 03:49 AM
To have PSU on the PS3 will be to convinent to be honest. It will make Phantasy Star Portable alot more active with downloadable content from the shop and such. And we even might see a demo too...

...But then again I'm happy with the small community.

dragoon-girl
Jun 9, 2008, 04:35 AM
I think I saw Ethan "swing" a partisan in that video. Its a shame that some of those levels are not in the game (that beach level looked real cool) I dont know. It could be that the development was focused on the PC side but then Sega decided to combine PC and PS2 together. Im thinking that maybe since the PS2 has the biggest user base maybe Sega thought that was where all the money (in japan) would come from. Who knows? Maybe someone in corporate decided to reduce funding for the project wich is why they dont have separate servers for each and apparently the PS2 version won out.

Beach level? I didn't see a Beach level..

Iduno
Jun 9, 2008, 05:13 AM
Beach level? I didn't see a Beach level..

watch again its only shown for a couple of seconds I think (not sure if it was shown from a gameplay view or not as well)

Ezodagrom
Jun 9, 2008, 06:11 AM
watch again its only shown for a couple of seconds I think (not sure if it was shown from a gameplay view or not as well)

There's one thing in the start of the video that kinda looks like a beach, but it's actually an early version of raffon fields.
(if it's this you're talking about ^^;)
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/7206/raffonbp3.jpg

Iduno
Jun 9, 2008, 07:16 AM
There's one thing in the start of the video that kinda looks like a beach, but it's actually an early version of raffon fields.
(if it's this you're talking about ^^;)
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/7206/raffonbp3.jpg

Still it could have branched off to be a beach (yes I just really want a beach level a bit like on of the areas in PSO ep2 but cant remember where I think it had gibbons or something and gees lol :P)

GutsGO
Jun 9, 2008, 09:13 AM
Everyone keeps calling it a beach level, it's just a lake-side area in Parum, probably Raffon Lakeshore....nothing new.

This whole topic is kind of pointless, and I really don't agree with the title. How can you be so bold to say it's how the game was "supposed" to be. You make it sound like the game's developers got swept away from it mid-way and a new team came in and changed everything on it.

Sonic Team released the game the way THEY wanted it, it was the same team from start to finish, so the final product is how it's supposed to be. Now I'm sure they would like to change some things or go back and do things differently, but with anything creative these are the things that happen.

This video isn't even THAT much different than the final game, sure some animation is different and some effects aren't there...but it doesn't make the game look like trash in comparison. In my own opinion, I prefer the game we have now.

RemiusTA
Jun 9, 2008, 02:06 PM
This whole topic is kind of pointless, and I really don't agree with the title. How can you be so bold to say it's how the game was "supposed" to be. You make it sound like the game's developers got swept away from it mid-way and a new team came in and changed everything on it.

You really have no clue, do you? SEGA is the ULTIMATE distraction when it comes to Sonic Team finishing up their games. I dont think there was a single game since Sonic Heroes that had Sonic Team of Japan was able to release without SEGA rushing them for the holidays.

PSU was the first game in YEARS that ST developed that Sega allowed them to delay past its orginal date, and the ONLY reason they allowed them to delay it is because it was unplayable.

Sonic the Hedgheog 06 on the other hand WAS playable, it just sucked, and every single stage, section, animation and portion of that game screamed "underdeveloped".

SEGA ruins everything. An American company formed in japan. They are a company torn apart between two countries that constantly compete with eachother's offices. Sega of America and Sega of Japan are directly the causes of almost every screwup we endure. Look it up. (except for Shadow the Hedgehog. That was just Sega of America attempting to make games and sucking at it.)

-------------

And yeah, that is a section in Raffion Lakeshore. You can get there now, but in that version of the game it seems to connect two plains. In our version, its just a path in Mad Creatures (that no one ever pays attention to because its useless) that leads to Stagreece and a tree.

I think the game orginally was ment to be a bit more expansive, but they toned it down either for memory (very very pluasable) or a change of heart for the mission system.

Personally, i think PSU works tons better when its more linear than when it branches off too much. that is half the problem with the PSU V1 stages -- they have FAR too much filler space and branching paths that lead to nothing but enemies. AotI stages have more unique level design similar to PSO, its just they are too crammed together.

Which is what ive been saying all along. PSU has plenty of those "Unique" areas that PSO had in its level design. They are just so put off from being useful or interactive that nobody notices them.

Edit:

Another reason why PSU level design fails to PSO level design is that the PSO levels were ment to be played and beaten. PSU level design shares its areas with multiple missions, which means they arent able to create a singular experience like the PSO missions do.

Rooms like the Waterfall dropoff in the Jungle Stage, the flooded portions of the Seabead, the hill on the mountainside with the shrubs on it from PSO, all of that stuff was possible because the stage was built for multiple playthrough.

PSU stages have far more missions, so they just took level palletes and pasted them together to make new missions.

PSU has plenty of missions now, far more than we need. If in the future expansions, if ST is able to focus more on the indivisual missions and add more interactivity, then the game will start to resemble PSO alot more.

Stages like Scarred Planet have the right idea. They just lack a spot to place ALL of the level design elements into one stage, since there are more than one variant.

AlphaDragoon
Jun 9, 2008, 03:02 PM
I want them to make that old Saber attack animation into a PA.

Lance813
Jun 9, 2008, 03:20 PM
Ok i got it!

PS2/ PS3/ PC server!

Fuck 360

Iduno
Jun 9, 2008, 03:26 PM
Ok i got it!

PS2/ PS3/ PC server!

Fuck 360

Then the PS3 and PC would be held back by PS2 anyway and Sega of america would have practicaly no subscribers left

So that suggestion = (possibly sony fanboyish) fail

GutsGO
Jun 9, 2008, 03:29 PM
You really have no clue, do you? SEGA is the ULTIMATE distraction when it comes to Sonic Team finishing up their games. I dont think there was a single game since Sonic Heroes that had Sonic Team of Japan was able to release without SEGA rushing them for the holidays.

PSU was the first game in YEARS that ST developed that Sega allowed them to delay past its orginal date, and the ONLY reason they allowed them to delay it is because it was unplayable.

Sonic the Hedgheog 06 on the other hand WAS playable, it just sucked, and every single stage, section, animation and portion of that game screamed "underdeveloped".

SEGA ruins everything. An American company formed in japan. They are a company torn apart between two countries that constantly compete with eachother's offices. Sega of America and Sega of Japan are directly the causes of almost every screwup we endure. Look it up. (except for Shadow the Hedgehog. That was just Sega of America attempting to make games and sucking at it.)
Funny, because YOU have no clue. PSU was not rushed out the door for the holidays, and shipped, like I said, as how they wanted it to be. It suffered NUMEROUS delays and was ALWAYS pushed back until SEGA and Sonic Team deemed it worthwhile for launching. SEGA was never a distraction so, your reasoning is incorrect. In case you didn't know, PSU was handled entirely in Japan, by the Japanese branches of Sonic Team and SEGA proper, so your rambling about the SoA and SoJ nonsense has nothing to do with this either.

Bringing up these other games MAKES NO SENSE AT ALL, and looks like a last ditch effort to back up your retarded claims. You even said yourself how PSU was delayed, so how could it have been rushed out the door at the same time? How does SEGA "rushing out" Sonic '06 and Shadow blablabla even effect PSU, and it's own development?

Finally, like I said before, the video you are showing looks ALMOST THE SAME, except some MINOR animations and visual effects, as well as differing variation of level design and a few other things. So far you haven't come up with a good excuse against my opinions, facts, and reasoning on why your points are irrelevant and false. Next time, please don't say I am clueless when what you are saying back to me is regurgitated SEGA hating about completely different games that have no connection to the current state of PSU, or it's development time.

Lance813
Jun 9, 2008, 03:35 PM
Then the PS3 and PC would be held back by PS2 anyway and Sega of america would have practicaly no subscribers left

So that suggestion = (possibly sony fanboyish) fail

**No flaming please**

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff5/Napdaddy813/493551975_ddc3e9466d.jpg

Seriously i hate sony, but your idea of dropping the PS2 is less valid than sega actually doing anything about it.

Now! Back on topic:

With the way Ethan looks i think we lose twice, i like the trails behind the swords though

Iduno
Jun 9, 2008, 03:40 PM
**No flaming please**

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff5/Napdaddy813/493551975_ddc3e9466d.jpg

Seriously i hate sony, but your idea of dropping the PS2 is less valid than sega actually doing anything about it.

Now! Back on topic:

With the way Ethan looks i think we lose twice, i like the trails behind the swords though

horray for flaming, homophobia and cats that are posted 2 days late for caturday *rolls eyes*

Lance813
Jun 9, 2008, 03:42 PM
Post Count +1..

On Topic:
The Two-headed Dragon that erupts from the ground is sweet, i would have liked to see that as well

Seira7
Jun 9, 2008, 04:07 PM
Hmmm...I think the game would have been way more popular in the long run if it had been next-gen.Ps2 graphics dont belong on the 360.
And for people that cant afford to buy a 360 or a ps3, dont you at least have a decent pc? Sorry to sound elitist or whatnot, I am not well-to-do by ANY means, (my salary now blows, because of the area I live in) and I have all 3. If gaming is your recreation and youre willing to play a monthly fee for a game and play it every day, youd think you could also afford at least one next-gen system...or a decent computer.

Also, I cant find the ss, but when PSU had its preview stuff up on the Jp site the options for hair were 50...I wonder what all the hairstyles were. And imagine 20 ears for beasts - that would be really cool. For a game that boasted customization like no other, its sad that they downgraded the options.

Lance813
Jun 9, 2008, 04:10 PM
i doubt there were 20 different beast ears, it would be cool

but they prolly just put the bug numbers in to look cool =p

Maelixius
Jun 9, 2008, 04:32 PM
Actually, another expansion is plausible, but only if they release it in a Double-layer disk since-- PSUv1 -> 3.xxgigs
PSU AotI -> 4.xxgigs

As you can see, there's no more space for single layer DVDs, so it is possible to develop the next expansion on a double layer disk since it can hold up to 8gigs if I'm not mistaken.
But I don't think a 4th expansion is possible; there just isn't enough space to hold so many cutscenes/story elements onto the game along with other added features.

Lance813
Jun 9, 2008, 04:35 PM
meh the disc space is an issue too, im not to sure on how that all works but i'm almost positive 1 more expansion will come out

then we will all be forced to buy Phantasy Star Unlimited (or whatev the next series is called)

And that will come out on the GC

Ezodagrom
Jun 9, 2008, 05:24 PM

Actually PS2 is really holding PSU back. Since it doesn't have an hard drive, there can't be real patches/updates, the updates we're getting is content that is already on PSU disk.
If PSU was on PC/PS3/XBOX360, since the 3 of those platforms have an hard drive, we could have real updates, without worrying about the 4GB limit on the DVD (PS2).

BahnKnakyu
Jun 10, 2008, 12:49 PM
Speaking of which, my Nvidia 8600 plays this game flawlessly on its highest possible settings.

Therefore, if the PS3's videocard is equal to a 7800, it might as well be equal to a 9200, since videogame systems use fractions less than a computer in terms of resources.

All you really need to play this game is a good videocard, and my dad got our 8600 for only $125. RAM really makes no difference. Get a powerful Graphics Card with good memory and this game will run like a charm.

This is incorrect. If your video card is too fast for your system, then you won't be able to harness the full potential of the card. I have an Nvidia 7900GT which I overclocked a bit to squeeze a bit more potential out of the card. However, I'm unable to achieve FS0, even with low graphics settings and various things turned off. The bottleneck? I'm using a stock Intel P4 Prescott 3.0 Ghz on a more than 2 year old motherboard.

I don't have overheating issues, and as far as I can tell from benchmark tests, the card runs at its maximum potential outside of PSU. I'm thinking in order for me to use the full power of the card, I'll have to upgrade either my processor to a dual core and/or my motherboard to use the full bandwith of the card.

*shrug* YMMV

Weeaboolits
Jun 10, 2008, 12:53 PM
Actually PS2 is really holding PSU back. Since it doesn't have an hard drive, there can't be real patches/updates, the updates we're getting is content that is already on PSU disk.
If PSU was on PC/PS3/XBOX360, since the 3 of those platforms have an hard drive, we could have real updates, without worrying about the 4GB limit on the DVD (PS2).Holding it back or not, it's the best selling version in japan, so there is about a 0% chance it would be dropped.

BahnKnakyu
Jun 10, 2008, 01:08 PM
First of all, where's the damn mods for the trolling in this thread?

Funny, because YOU have no clue. PSU was not rushed out the door for the holidays, and shipped, like I said, as how they wanted it to be. It suffered NUMEROUS delays and was ALWAYS pushed back until SEGA and Sonic Team deemed it worthwhile for launching. SEGA was never a distraction so, your reasoning is incorrect. In case you didn't know, PSU was handled entirely in Japan, by the Japanese branches of Sonic Team and SEGA proper, so your rambling about the SoA and SoJ nonsense has nothing to do with this either.

Bringing up these other games MAKES NO SENSE AT ALL, and looks like a last ditch effort to back up your retarded claims. You even said yourself how PSU was delayed, so how could it have been rushed out the door at the same time? How does SEGA "rushing out" Sonic '06 and Shadow blablabla even effect PSU, and it's own development?

Finally, like I said before, the video you are showing looks ALMOST THE SAME, except some MINOR animations and visual effects, as well as differing variation of level design and a few other things. So far you haven't come up with a good excuse against my opinions, facts, and reasoning on why your points are irrelevant and false. Next time, please don't say I am clueless when what you are saying back to me is regurgitated SEGA hating about completely different games that have no connection to the current state of PSU, or it's development time.

Actually, the game is quite different. Seeing how you're the only one saying how the game looks almost the same, I'm thinking you are having a greatly differing point of view from the rest of the posters here.

SEGA "rushing out" its games just goes to show SEGA doesn't care about its console division. Like I said before, it hasn't ever since Sammy acquired SEGA through hostile corporate takeover. Sammy has the ultimate decision on what is done, and it likes its arcade machine/pachinko business. SEGA is more or less a puppet of Sammy, which is why development for all these games have been rushed - Sammy, and therefore SEGA, has other priorities. Their AM division is doing damn well. Why does it matter if their console division flops or not?

PSU was rushed, actually. There was a huge downtime when PSU first came out on the JP side - basically a 1 month "beta test", which indicated that the servers (and therefore SoJ/ST) were not ready to properly playtest and release the game.

On top of that, if you compare PSU v1 (before any updates to make it compatible with AoI), there are various incomplete and/or half-baked implementations of good ideas. If you are a game designer or a programmer, you can see that they cut *lots* of corners to get v1 out the door. Concepts were implemented with no real thought or feedback from the beta testers. The menuing system is a navigational nightmare. Last minute changes to attack animations and PAs. Lots of levels feel like they are lacking in content. Fewer character customization choices.

As many people have said before, AoI does feel like a highly refined PSU - what PSU should have been when it first came out. e.g. AoI is the "finally-got-to-implement-all-those-changes-we-meant-to-do-in-v1" version of PSU. It really does feel like Sonic Team is *trying* to make a decent game (PSU is one of its kind, and widely available on very accessible gaming platforms), but something is holding it back for all of the current generation games it's been trying to develop - PSU included.

RemiusTA
Jun 10, 2008, 03:28 PM

Rushed games always suck, but a delayed game does not mean its gonna be WTFAWESOME when it releases. Just because it got pushed back does not mean they were finished with everything and was able to do everything they wanted, which accounts for the fact that the expansion was announced and in progress BEFORE the damn game was even launched.

"Worthwhile for launching" doesnt mean jack shit. Imagine if Half Life 2 was "worthwhile for launching" after it was delayed.

Oh, and dont confuse a long development time with "refining". Please dont.

Like i said, "OMG THEY DELAYED IT SO THAT MEANS THEY ARE FINISHED NOW" does not cut it.

And for the record, most of the time when a company has a bad track record for the development processes in their product, it usually stands out in everything they do. The same technical problems with Sonic 06 are present in PSU, mainly the poor memory management and loading issues.

Oh, and there is also the fact that Sonic Team is responsible 90% of the time for...gee, i dunno, Sonic the Hedgehog games? So yeah, every game they've had in the past, every dropped project due to complications between the two branches, the rapid vertical declining status of their videogames of late, NONE of this has anything to do with the way they develop games NOW, and has absolutely ZERO to do with what happened to this game. Sonic the Hedgehog 06, Shadow the hedgehog, NIGHTS Wii, all these games developed under about the same time PSU was with the same degree of mediocrity present in each of them has zero to do with anything. Right.

And how the fuck do i have to "backup my claims" when thats the purpose of the whole first post?

Okay so varied animations, tons of cut out visual effects, variation of level design and "a few other things" are minor and have absolutely nothing to do with how good a game is. Fuck, i had no clue, thanks for telling me.

There is absolutely nothing you can tell me that can "PROVE" that my points are "irrelevant and false". If you can, try me. You're still going to lose the argument anyway.

"No connection to the current state of PSU"....What the fuck are you smoking.

On top of that, if you compare PSU v1 (before any updates to make it compatible with AoI), there are various incomplete and/or half-baked implementations of good ideas. If you are a game designer or a programmer, you can see that they cut *lots* of corners to get v1 out the door. Concepts were implemented with no real thought or feedback from the beta testers. The menuing system is a navigational nightmare. Last minute changes to attack animations and PAs. Lots of levels feel like they are lacking in content. Fewer character customization choices.

As many people have said before, AoI does feel like a highly refined PSU - what PSU should have been when it first came out. e.g. AoI is the "finally-got-to-implement-all-those-changes-we-meant-to-do-in-v1" version of PSU. It really does feel like Sonic Team is *trying* to make a decent game (PSU is one of its kind, and widely available on very accessible gaming platforms), but something is holding it back for all of the current generation games it's been trying to develop - PSU included.

Exactly, thank you. GOD, you can even hear the corner cutting when it comes to the music. Even when it comes to medicore and bullshit games like Sonic the Hedgehog 06, Sonic Team ALWAYS makes sure they get the best composers for the music in their games. They got the best musicians they have ever had and still have crappy music, save for a few of the important themes. (Final boss theme, a few of the short songs for the lobbies)

They are trying, and they are doing a good job, but the decisions they make for the wellbeing of this game are just retarded.

Realmz
Jun 10, 2008, 03:42 PM
the major differences i can see in the video:

they changed how some weapons swung (looks like just Swords and sabers to me) personally i like the current sword swing better, gives me a feeling of weight to the weapon, that old pormo trailer's sword swings felt a little too much like a saber. And the saber swing looked like one of the dagger PAs

The De Regans fireball explosion is much smaller in the promo, but is a different graphic then the current explosion.

anything i missed.

RemiusTA
Jun 10, 2008, 03:50 PM
The fireball explosion is minor, i put it there just because. They have the same thing there i believe, they just put the new effect over it. I personally think the bigger fire effects in this game are ugly. Rafoie looks like a cloud of red and yellow smoke to me.

But if you guys remember the older shots of the Diga spells, they looked alot different. now, THOSE got upgraded for the better. Earth has the best effect work out of all of them most likely because they were new spells.