PDA

View Full Version : Can you play the Ps2 version on the PS3?

JingleJangs
Jun 8, 2008, 07:59 PM
Can you play the Ps2 version on the PS3? does that work anyone know. In the end ill probally just get for 360 but was curious if anyone knew if PSU worked on the PS3.

ashley50
Jun 8, 2008, 08:00 PM
Can you play the Ps2 version on the PS3?

yes...you can.

JingleJangs
Jun 8, 2008, 08:04 PM
thanks for the quick resposne, any personal opinions on the communites?

superlak
Jun 8, 2008, 08:05 PM
i have been told ps2 servers are smaller as in less people on is this true

Ffuzzy-Logik
Jun 8, 2008, 08:07 PM
On the odd chance that you're asking this because of graphical ability of the consoles, you should know that PSU runs best on the PC (provided your computer is high-end). Even on lower-end PCs, you have the option of increasing your frameskip to eliminate graphical slowdown, an option that is unavailable on the console versions (both of which have considerable slowdown, to my understanding).

i have been told ps2 servers are smaller as in less people on is this true
PC/PS2 server is about 1/4 to 1/3 the size of the 360 server in terms of population, if that matters.

RegulusHikari
Jun 8, 2008, 08:09 PM
PC/PS2 averages half a server. It's small, but more than enough to have a healthy hot spot and a few scattered parties at the other important sites (PO, SW, DG, TD). Having a small community is nice when you need to separate the good players from the douchebags.

EDIT: PC also has the option of running with post effects off, which drastically improves the performance on old PCs. Be aware that I was able to run PSU on a 3 year old PC at medium detail, 800x600 res, and post effects on before I upgraded.

JingleJangs
Jun 8, 2008, 08:36 PM
wow great responses guys. Im not worried about graphics, basically i used to own the game and traded it in on the 360. Im contemplating starting up again. My old account doesn't matter to me much since i never got really far and i probably want to start a new guy anyway. I was just curious if playing on the ps3 was an option since the 360 breaking is always a thought in the back of my mind.

In the end ill probably just get the game again for the 360 but i really appreciate all the response and how fast they were.

Maskim
Jun 8, 2008, 09:35 PM
As stated, it does run on ps3. You have the ps3's smoothing effects on ps2 games, so it looks marginally (at best) better than playing on a ps2, but not enough you'll probably even notice. What you will notice, however, is that when I'd switch back and forth between my ps2, and ps3, I would get no slowdown on ps3 when all the PA's and TECH's were going off.

I don't get any slowdown on 360 either, with the exception of doing a memory leak mission, but in normal play, slowdown has not affected me in the least.

kyle21
Jun 9, 2008, 11:23 AM
Make sure your PS3 is the 60gig, the 40gig won't play PS2 games.

gameday
Jun 9, 2008, 11:33 AM
I have a PS3, you will have trouble communicating ( chatting) using your remote. It takes to much time.

That's why I got myself a PC. I find it better. ( my opinion )

r00tabaga
Jun 9, 2008, 11:39 AM
My buddy has a top-end CPU/monster monitor and says that the 360 has better gfx than the PC (on a 1080p TV/Elite 360). Blur effects and the PA visuals are enhanced I was told.......

Rambo!
Jun 9, 2008, 09:30 PM
in my opinion Pc version is better than ps2 or ps3 version and if you tweak the graphics a bit you can get it to run on most older systems. I got it to run on a dell laptop core 2 duo 1.6ghz and 512mb of ram and intel integrated graphics 950 i believe. I don't recommend playing like this cause the game looks like crap but still it can be done. If you have a 1000 dollar computer from the last 2 years that has a video card you should be fine.

Tldr opinion
Pc>ps2

never played 360 but i don't own 1 anymore and I don't like console games much personally (baring nintendo games)

Syl
Jun 9, 2008, 09:43 PM
My buddy has a top-end CPU/monster monitor and says that the 360 has better gfx than the PC (on a 1080p TV/Elite 360). Blur effects and the PA visuals are enhanced I was told.......

I've played on the 360 version before... my PC isn't exactly super gawd dayum hot, but it still runs/looks better than the 360. Anyone who runs this game on full spec w/ a computer that can handle it will tell you that. There's no lag, everything looks better.

And that's with a Radeon X800... >.>

Maskim
Jun 9, 2008, 11:28 PM
Good PC>360>ps3/mediocre PC>ps2>poor PC

Yes, I've played on all of those, and that's my opinion on how the performance breaks down.

I would still go 360 if you have the option like you state. Bigger community always wins in subscription games.

Yuudai_Riisu
Jun 9, 2008, 11:38 PM
Good PC>360>ps3/mediocre PC>ps2>poor PC

Yes, I've played on all of those, and that's my opinion on how the performance breaks down.

I would still go 360 if you have the option like you state. Bigger community always wins in subscription games.

Maskim=360 fanboy

Maskim
Jun 10, 2008, 01:11 AM
Maskim=360 fanboy

Doubtful. If anything I'm a ps3 fanboy. Only games I have for 360 are xbox exclusives and ones I really want to play online multiplayer with. If I were a 360 fan boy, I guarantee my gamer score would be at least triple what it currently is from all the games I played on ps3 instead of 360. :p

One thing I will say for the ps2/pc servers though, it may have a lot smaller community than 360, but there's a lot of people I miss playing with on the ps2 servers. Most of them probably don't play anymore though, anyways.

JingleJangs
Jun 10, 2008, 03:54 PM
thanks for all the great response in the end i will probally just stick with the 360 version. I do have one other question though, andi know its a stupid one. How does the expansion disc work with the ps2/ps3? You put in the orignal then it will ask you to load up the expansion? Was just curious. But yeah i think ill got back to my toon on 360. Cant wait to see how the expansion has changed things.

goldbrease
Jun 10, 2008, 04:32 PM
you just put you memory card with the psu saves in then put the aoi disk in and if you have extra mode it will transer your stuff over automatically then when you go online it will switch your stuff over to aoi.

and a note, when you transfer to aoi, you can never go back to psu! (for online i don't know why you would want to)

Kylie
Jun 10, 2008, 04:52 PM
I play my game on PS3, and it's not faster and doesn't provide better graphics that you can notice (it's basically just like playing on your PS2, except you have to go through the game OS). Also, chatting is not an issue - just use a USB keyboard like you would on PS2 (some wireless ones won't work). Oh, and welcome back to PSU. :jpsmile:

EDIT: Prepare for the annoyances with the L2/R2 buttons. They get pressed easily in your lap and make you say things in the wrong chat log. -_- Other than that, just like PS2. :)

LuigiMario
Jun 10, 2008, 05:40 PM
yes...you can.

Theres your PS3 version.