PDA

View Full Version : Same Mission, Different Drops?

Ogni-XR21
Jun 10, 2008, 01:11 AM
I've been spamming Sleeping Warrior S2 the last few days and I started to wonder... Some days I find lots of Nanopolymer (up to 3 or 4 per run when things go well) and some other days (especially yesterday) I did not find a single Nanopolymer while doing runs for almost 5 hours.

I can see that there might be bad luck involved, but 5 hours not one Nanopolymer while I get several on other days. It just doesn't make any sense. IIRC every day there are specific map settings that the server works with, could the drops also depend on these maps that are used that day?

Does anyone have more insight to this?

Btw. I wasn't farming for Nanopolymers, that was just the mat where the difference caught my eye...

Niloklives
Jun 10, 2008, 01:24 AM
lately I've been seeing more naopolymer drop there and less catilium. I'm not sure what effects that kind of stuff. part of me wants to think theres some kinda weird hidden section ID at play. the reson for this is I had run true darkness solo for a long time. not once had i seen any boards drop from normal enemies in the entire time I've run TD...one day last week my friend says he wants me to run with him there to try to get a Cubo Tuma. he takes lead and makes the party. we ran that mission 3 times and we pactically got a board in each room and a board from fakis each time. after he left the party I continued doing a few more runs and once again no boards to be seen until run 10 when fakis dropped a tesbra.

this isn't the only instance where i've seen this but its the most recent.

lethe
Jun 10, 2008, 01:26 AM
I'm pretty positive its all random, i wouldn't take sega for one to do anything that may take more than 5 minutes.

Niloklives
Jun 10, 2008, 02:00 AM
I dunno. it seems really odd that there seem to be certain people that really just are known to get a lot of good drops even back before AoI. these people would run a mission non stop for much shorter intervals than many others but would always walk away with several rare boards when they finally had finished where at the same time some poeple could run 3 rimes as much and not even come away with a few decent mats. you can only chalk up so much to individual luck.

its the same kind of thing with the random item distribution. certain people will get 90% of the drops on that setting for 10 runs in a row...i've been in a group of 3 where we did 10 runs straight against lvl 140 enemies. everything was picked up and all i had in my inventory was a lil extra money and some photons at the end of it all. then they would switch characters and all of a sudden everything was going to me. it sounds like pure coincidence but these are people i run with constantly and the story is always the same. they use their main and random seems to favor them. they use their alts and random seems to favor me.

there's something funny about this game...I just dont know what it is

Maskim
Jun 10, 2008, 02:06 AM
I dunno. it seems really odd that there seem to be certain people that really just are known to get a lot of good drops even back before AoI. these people would run a mission non stop for much shorter intervals than many others but would always walk away with several rare boards when they finally had finished where at the same time some poeple could run 3 rimes as much and not even come away with a few decent mats. you can only chalk up so much to individual luck.

No, but you could chalk it all up to random number generators and a law of odds when it checks to see what you found. You could conceivably run the same mission from today until the end of time, and never find that one item.

mvffin
Jun 10, 2008, 02:08 AM
it seems like I get drops in clusters.

one day, I got 3 relic edge, 0 catilium, 0 boards, 0 polymer.

another time, I get 5 polymer, 1 catilium, nothing else.

couple days later, I get 2 ran-misaki board, and 2 storm line board, and nothing else.

sometimes, I go 4-5 hours with no drops at all(i assume those days are for something that doesn't drop at SW)

it took me about 8 days or so before I had a diad day.

its like every day is a different type of drop. maybe it depends on luck, or race/class/gender or something.

Niloklives
Jun 10, 2008, 02:12 AM
of course, but the point is there are some peopele for whom its a given they'll have the item very shortly and others that can spend weeks and never find it and the string of luck is always the same.

you can leave at random number generators, but these generators are very faulty and very plainly at least give the illusion of playing favorites.

Ogni-XR21
Jun 10, 2008, 02:16 AM
I've had friends tell me that they did not get any Nanopolymer in SW on some days, while getting 2 per run on other days. I thought it was just bad luck, but the 5 hours without any NP at all, but more Junaline and Nanoresin than ever before made me think.

If it wasn't for NIloklives I would be convinced that it's all about the set of maps the server uses for the day... yesterday I had the most repetition ever since I started SW farming, 90% of the exact same map.

Maskim
Jun 10, 2008, 02:21 AM
of course, but the point is there are some peopele for whom its a given they'll have the item very shortly and others that can spend weeks and never find it and the string of luck is always the same.

you can leave at random number generators, but these generators are very faulty and very plainly at least give the illusion of playing favorites.

I would agree with that, that it gives the illusion of favorites. I would be more apt to think there's a system at work we don't know about, like the old section ID, which increases and decreases droprates for different folks.

Niloklives
Jun 10, 2008, 02:22 AM
I'm fairly certain I said that

Maskim
Jun 10, 2008, 02:26 AM
I am too. I'm agreeing with your point, and that possibility seems more likely to me than the program playing favorites.

Niloklives
Jun 10, 2008, 02:29 AM
right. thats what i was driving at. anyway since we're on the same page, I'll leave it a that.

Ogni-XR21
Jun 10, 2008, 02:45 AM
Well there has to be something else but luck that influences which items drop. I guess everyone already experienced that 3* luck does not automatically mean more good drops (yeah I know it's only affecting the "drop anything rate"). I've had 1* luck runs that made 3* luck days look pale im comparison.

But what does it come down to? Maybe I'll start taking notes on what drops in certain maps, there's got to be some way to narrow down what this all depends on...

imfanboy
Jun 10, 2008, 02:46 AM
I personally think it's down to random chance still - but you can influence the chance, of course.

The map that has the least potential to drop nanopolymer is the long hallway map - only 5 chances. The ones with the most potential are the other maps, with 7. Not much, but when you're rolling dice you always want more, not less.

Niloklives
Jun 10, 2008, 02:53 AM
Its more than that though. I have a friend who has a fem beast. when we run egg thieves we give them lead if they have 3 luck. we get an average of 6 polymers this way each run.

my male beast with 3 luck taking the lead we get 2 or 3 per run if we're lucky. I'm telling you something is up.

Legendria
Jun 10, 2008, 02:54 AM
I agree with the "hidden section ID" theory.

I've found 5 PWand boards in 2 months of playing it, and my friends have been playing for over 8 months and have yet to see it.

However, I've never, EVER seen a Rattlesnake drop, and they've all had at least 2.

Ogni-XR21
Jun 10, 2008, 03:08 AM
While browsing through the findings thread I saw dentRED post that he found 3 PW's this month, while you read from others that did 200 runs of SW and did not find a PW nor a Relic Edge...

I know, I know... random yada yada yada... but that's just like random item distribution, sometimes you just seem to get more rares, this was very obvious during MAG with all the badges. One friend just had to join/be in a game and suddenly it was like he got 3 out of every 5 badges. Sometimes when joining random games I seemed to be the lucky one and suddenly got most of the badges.. Something is definitely off with the RNG Sonic Team made for PSU.

Niloklives
Jun 10, 2008, 03:17 AM
well like i said...i don;t think its entirel the falt of the RNG. I know someone else that found 3 pwands in a week and for all the runs I've done I've never see one drop at SW or at DS.

Some people seems to have incredible luck at grinding..others seem to get all the luck on synths. theres a hidden factor here, there has to be.

Indica
Jun 10, 2008, 03:22 AM
I agree and have experienced this as well at Sleeping Warriors. This week not much Nanopolymer dropping and hardly any Catilium dropping at all.

Edit: Weird thing, I found 20 Storm Line boards within 10 days at SW

lethe
Jun 10, 2008, 03:33 AM
If it would be similar to section ID then what coulld it be based off of?
The only thing i can think of is race/gender, maybe we should ask those people who find stuff like no tomarrow and find out their race/ gender and try to put this strange puzzle together, and who knows, maybe we'll never find the last piece.

Weeaboolits
Jun 10, 2008, 05:52 AM
I think it's just some people are luckier than others, and I don't mean the sparkles by your name.

jerrelle
Jun 10, 2008, 09:15 AM
I'm in favor of the hidden section id's. i know it's not much but I have a male beast (fF/af) named Jerrelle (remember in pso, names had something to do with section id's) who really can't find shit. But i can hunt a blackbull board and find one every 2-3 runs on a crappy day.

Niloklives
Jun 10, 2008, 09:50 AM
I doubt its as simple as race/gender. I know people who have two human males or two female newmans and the like and each seem to have different experiences with drops. so I dunno.

jerrelle
Jun 10, 2008, 09:56 AM
that's why i implied about the name as well

Tsujikiri
Jun 10, 2008, 11:32 AM
Well i kind of agree with the idea of drops having to do with other things than luck. I get on my female Neuman to go pwand and nothing. A male beast friend of mine joins and with in 1 hour we get two to drop. So he goes searching for Kan Yu's and cati power in Plain Overlords and nothing for him ever. I spend one day there leveling Ra spells and i get 2 kan Yu's and a cati power.

Conspiracy? What ever it is i get better drops on striking and he gets better drops with casting weapons. So now we got this exchange deal going on between us.

jerrelle
Jun 10, 2008, 02:04 PM
Well i kind of agree with the idea of drops having to do with other things than luck. I get on my female Neuman to go pwand and nothing. A male beast friend of mine joins and with in 1 hour we get two to drop. So he goes searching for Kan Yu's and cati power in Plain Overlords and nothing for him ever. I spend one day there leveling Ra spells and i get 2 kan Yu's and a cati power.

Conspiracy? What ever it is i get better drops on striking and he gets better drops with casting weapons. So now we got this exchange deal going on between us.

Now that is very interesting as I get a lot of range weapon drops on my beast fF and tech weapons on my cast ranger

Ogni-XR21
Jun 10, 2008, 02:22 PM
Sounds like some way to boost drops on characters that don't really need it. Simillar to drops in random that always seem to go to the player that doesn't need it at all... maybe it's some way to secretly get people to sell stuff in their shop.

Tsujikiri
Jun 10, 2008, 02:39 PM
Sounds like some way to boost drops on characters that don't really need it. Simillar to drops in random that always seem to go to the player that doesn't need it at all... maybe it's some way to secretly get people to sell stuff in their shop.

Just another way to get people to play with each other. Since it seems that alot more people solo now adays. Just like the way they are going to make it so the bigger the party the easier to find FOI and such. Which i assume sooner or late will expand to include rare drops.

Just all Assumptions

phanatica
Jun 10, 2008, 05:47 PM
...well, i'm pretty sure that we have hidden id's:
My Main, a male Cast, had last Weekend one Day NO LUCK (Friday or Saturday..can't remember). I don't stop at the Luck Lady caus i prefer to level my Bullets, so i went over to SW.
Not much is dropping, but idc, leveling my Bullets :)
Block03, huh, a Board dropped, thought it is an Ran-Misaki or so, but bammm Psycho, without Luck,...i lolled. Ok, not that bad, take a second Run, Block01 Relic-Edge, Nanopolymers dropped an at the End an Svaltus-Edge...all without Luck.
Next day i got 1*, SW, 2 Runs,....guess what? Psycho again, more laughing ^^
Also some days ago a friend who has also an Cast told me he was leveling Bullets in TD, got an Agito-Repca, i also went there, second Run i got it. I also must say that this was my 5th.
And with Relic-Edges: They drop like Candy on my Cast, found last Weekend 6 of them why leveling my PA's, but i got them easier on HG, within one Hour im sure i get one.
I think that you have good and bad Phases on your Char, mine is suXX actually on Bossdrops.
Found nothing in the last 8 Days from Bossboxes, but before a get 3 Double-Agito in 3 Runs.
Or an Agito-Repca, went to Omna, get Kazarod, went to Moonlight and get Zanshu-Misaki and so on...now a have a bad time with this...so i level my PA's and take some Relic-Edges :)

Niloklives
Jun 10, 2008, 06:37 PM
some of us only have bad phases =/

Tianna
Jun 11, 2008, 07:47 AM
let me put a little different twist on things. It "seems" that when I use a different wep I get better drops all the way around. I ran about 100 runs and changed my wep after half. I have gotten 3 p-wand boards in the last month, all with the same wep equipped... Sorry but I am not going to mention the actual wep because I don't want prices to skyrocket if this is true. Could anyone else try this theory and see if it is just in my imagination?

Ogni-XR21
Jun 11, 2008, 08:09 AM
Well without us knowing the weapon it's hard to test on our own... :-)

For me this is hard to tell, since I usually play SW and level techs in the meantime so I go through a lot of weapons each run, from Tesbra to Halarod to Uransara. But this did not seem to change the Nanopolymer drops I was basing this thread on.

Darius_Drake
Jun 11, 2008, 09:53 AM
From my experience it seems most of the drops are random except for the Nanopolymers. Those tend to either not drop at all or drop in bunches. I may go a day or two randomly finding everything there, but only seeing nanoresins and nanocarbons, then hit a day where I get at least one or two nanopolymers per run. That seems a little weird. The other drops seem to keep with their patterns during this phenomenon though.

Sekani
Jun 11, 2008, 10:09 AM
In this thread superstitious people make up conspiracy theories to explain why they don't get what they want when they want it.

Ogni-XR21
Jun 11, 2008, 12:24 PM
In this thread superstitious people make up conspiracy theories to explain why they don't get what they want when they want it.

But I don't look for Nanopolymers so your post is missing it's point! ;-)

DAMASCUS
Jun 11, 2008, 01:08 PM
They way drops seem to go in waves and in different waves for different people, it reminds of how the maps themselves are. You'll get one map so many times in a row and then not see it again for a while. I think that there are set wave patterns that just come and go for different people at different times. When I'm with friends we switch leaders when drops/maps get stale and it usually helps instantly..

Sekani
Jun 11, 2008, 02:01 PM
But I don't look for Nanopolymers so your post is missing it's point! ;-)

Oh, you're a crafty one.

Niloklives
Jun 13, 2008, 08:54 PM
no I've gotten just about everything except a p-wand. but everyone I know who's hunted it has gotten on ein les sthan a week and i've not even so much as seen the board outside of a shop. gotta be a reason for that.

Yuudai_Riisu
Jun 13, 2008, 11:55 PM
let me put a little different twist on things. It "seems" that when I use a different wep I get better drops all the way around. I ran about 100 runs and changed my wep after half. I have gotten 3 p-wand boards in the last month, all with the same wep equipped... Sorry but I am not going to mention the actual wep because I don't want prices to skyrocket if this is true. Could anyone else try this theory and see if it is just in my imagination?

I say its just your imagination.